Page 3 of 121 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Anxious for my 9D8’s oldest daughter 143 +10 le petite and littlest 131cm special 100 underfoot pow skis.

Come on snow

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

For my final ski purchase for the upcoming season, I realized last night that I wanted something slightly more versatile than other pow specific skis. Had been eying 188 Armada Bubbas, and 190 DPS L138, among others. Gave the Praxis site one last look and found these for sale!

Attachment 246926

Glad I went local, American made, and bomber construction. I was kicking myself in the ass for not customizing a pair of these this spring. I was going to customize a heavy core, #4, but realized I didnt need another inbounds powder hard charger, after selling SGs, 191 C&Ds, and still having 189 BGs, Rx, and 196 Governors. These standard enduro #3s seem perfect for a 50/50 ski.

If I love the shape in heavier snow as much as I think I will, next year I’ll customize a heavy resort version and possibly sell the 189 BGs.

Attachment 246928

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 09-10-2018 at 05:33 PM.

^Those the Bubinga 192 protests? I saw those and salivated a little bit. Should be an awesome ski, Identical to what I own (although I have bird's eye veneer and different graphic). You'll enjoy them

Nicely done, addict!

Protests are amazing skis. You're gonna dig 'em.

Ya they are the Bubinga wood. This is my first veneer ski! Why the heck haven’t I done this before? I still like the nylon topsheets, but these woodies are fkn mesmorizing!

They are hypnotizing me.. “buy more veneers next time”..

Keith and I (and in convos wit 2funky) were a little afraid of the #3 flex inbounds at my weight, but I was surprised to find out they were significantly stiffer than all the K2’s I have skied and loved over the years. They are almost as stiff and heavy as the 196 Governors, which are inbounds chargers, but feel a bit softer than Wildcats/Rx/BGs.

I have high hopes for these both in the resort and in the backcountry.

Question is, do I mount shifts? Or inserts/plates for alpine binders and lighter weight dynafiddlers.

So nice! can't wait to get mine

Damn. I really hope you need a flex #4.

But only cause I want to own those and am too cheap to buy new.

Sweet sticks.

I've only got a handful of days on my 187s. More than any other ski I've been on in deep snow (main comparisons are Lhasas and Bibbys) -- whatever I think they do. Magic.

Those are damn sexy Betel.
    P.S. They rule in heavy snow. If I was you I would mount them -2.

Has anyone compared the Maple/Ash/paulownia cores to the new Maple/Ash/Aspen cores? Just wondering

Those veneers are sick. Anyone know why the list of veneers produced is larger than the options offered in the custom part of the website?

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Those veneers are sick. Anyone know why the list of veneers produced is larger than the options offered in the custom part of the website?
    Great question as some of the veneers I’ve seen and would have loved to had on my custom ProTest were not on the custom order sheet. Bummed but not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

I have high hopes for these both in the resort and in the backcountry.

Question is, do I mount shifts? Or inserts/plates for alpine binders and lighter weight dynafiddlers.
    Those sticks are dope AF for sure! My vote would be to give the shifts a whirl. I personally think those sticks are a little lrg for something as lightweight as you’re talking (don’t think either Beast is something you’re thinking if your planning alpine inserts as well) and a little lrg to really do any sort of long tours on but I’m totally in favor of your thought process cuz Protests kill it in the OB! I’d give CAST a long thought as well if you have the boots for em. Great score on the Protests, I’d be pretty blown away if you don’t love em
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Great question as some of the veneers I’ve seen and would have loved to had on my custom ProTest were not on the custom order sheet. Bummed but not the end of the world.
    if you decide you just can't bear it, I will be happy to dispose of them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    if you decide you just can't bear it, I will be happy to dispose of them for you.
    Lol. Nah bro. Love my sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Those are damn sexy Betel.
    P.S. They rule in heavy snow. If I was you I would mount them -2.
    Oh no. I’m mounting these right on recommended. I always go by recommended and never have been disappointed. Cant start now. -8 seems perfect, thats where my Rx are.

I’m really surprised and excited by the camber profile of the ProTests. It looks so versatile. The shape looks super loose, but the camber profile looks to have some grip. 75% of R/R pivotyness, with normal ski grip? Me likey.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Those sticks are dope AF for sure! My vote would be to give the shifts a whirl. I personally think those sticks are a little lrg for something as lightweight as you’re talking (don’t think either Beast is something you’re thinking if your planning alpine inserts as well) and a little lrg to really do any sort of long tours on but I’m totally in favor of your thought process cuz Protests kill it in the OB! I’d give CAST a long thought as well if you have the boots for em. Great score on the Protests, I’d be pretty blown away if you don’t love em
    How realistic is it to buy one pair of shifts, and do inserts in two different pairs of skis, and just swap the shifts around depending on the day? Is it bad to screw and unscrew them all the time?

Oh no. I’m mounting these right on recommended. I always go by recommended and never have been disappointed. Cant start now. -8 seems perfect, thats where my Rx are.

Ok. Line it is. Just a suggestion since like 98% of ProTest users like them mounted back of recommended.

Damnit. Now you got me (over)thinking about this

Where is Galibier Numero Un on this?

I mounted my Protests on the line and love em. Never felt like I needed to move back at all.

I was line with my first pair of 192s, my second I’m at -1.25. And I’m a decently smaller dude than you and ski with a centered stance, if that tells you anything. At your size I’d be -1.5 to -2

^^^ Yes. -1.5 to -2

3-ski quiver: Exp, 9D8, and Rx. Very happy with veneers, though I think Grim would come out nicer on nylon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-4999.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	246948

I couldn't figure out the 187 Protests I picked up last February. Mounted at -1 (gotta dig up the distance from the tip, I seem to recall 102.5).

My problem is that I can't turn 'em quick enough while at the same time, I feel as if I have to tail gun to avoid tip dive.

Believe it or not, I'm most comfortable on them railing GS turns on 2D snow.

For comparison, I liked my 184 BGs on the line, my GPOs at -1.5, and my Q's at -1
    None of them tip dive like these Protests

I know I'm in the minority, and @grinch has encouraged me to give them 5 days to figure them out, but they're my most disappointing ski purchase ever. Dunno ...

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Nicely done, addict!

Protests are amazing skis. You're gonna dig 'em.
    Did your 188s ever sell? The ad got a bit confusing. I didn't want to bump my ad until yours are gone.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    ^^^ Yes. -1.5 to -2
    Marker Schizos?

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I couldn't figure out the Protests I picked up last February. Mounted at -1 (gotta dig up the distance from the tip on my 187s).

My problem is that I can't turn 'em quick enough while at the same time, I feel as if I have to tail gun to avoid too dive.

Believe it or not, I'm most comfortable on them railing GS turns on 2D snow.

For comparison, I liked my 184 BGs on the line, my GPOs at -1.5, and my Q's at -1
    None of them tip dive like these Protests

I know I'm in the minority, and @grinch has encouraged me to give them 5 days to figure them out. Dunno ...

Did your 188s ever sell? The ad got a bit confusing. I didn't want to bump my ad until yours are gone.

... Thom
    That sounds like a tune issue, like they were railed or maybe even just a little too sharp at the contact/taper points. I’m sure you checked that though.

Marker Schizos?

That sounds like a tune issue, like they were railed or maybe even just a little too sharp at the contact/taper points. I’m sure you checked that though.

I gave 'em my standard GPO tune - darn near rounded edges to the contact points, 1 degree base bevel, and nuts-on flat bases.

... and the tip dive being way worse than all the above mentioned skis - that was the most puzzling part.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Maybe I'll get with @adrenalated. I think we have very close BSLs - at least on our touring boots.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

My problem is that I can't turn 'em quick enough while at the same time, I feel as if I have to tail gun to avoid tip dive.
    Ramp/delta issue maybe?