Page 12 of 121 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Pretty much this in a nutshell.

I now own the GPO, ProTest, Quixote, Piste Jib and the Concept. The Concept is the most unique skiing experience I've had. Mine are 5 seasons strong and I want to build a new one in a 182 length with the exact same layup as my PJs and Qs. Heavy Carbon Veneer.

Muggy Qs and Concepts this year! Good fkn times.
    I was impressed by how the enduro layup did in the conditions, but agree heavy/carbon/veneer would be awesome.

Can’t forget my Protests! And Praxis Lhasa...
    Yes, you could say I have a affinity for Praxis skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Pretty much this in a nutshell.

I now own the GPO, ProTest, Quixote, Piste Jib and the Concept. The Concept is the most unique skiing experience I've had. Mine are 5 seasons strong and I want to build a new one in a 182 length with the exact same layup as my PJs and Qs. Heavy Carbon Veneer.

jmars how big are you? My PJs are flex three, and are an absolute blast. I just had them tuned and changed the side edge to 2 degrees. On EC ice groomers, I can now load them huge and get launched into a turn like a rocket ship, and they just rip in Moguls.

Muggy Qs and Concepts this year! Good fkn times.
    Opinions on the GPO vs Quixote as a daily driver for the western U.S. (not coastal) for hitting trees, steeps, powder, and avoiding bumps if possible?

Having owned both, either would do well. I’d say it comes down to your preferences and style of skiing. Quixote likes the fall line a little more, and likes carving larger radius turns on hardpack. GPO will carve shorter radius turns, and is a little easier to pivot. Both can be shut down and thrown sideways with ease. Quixote has a little better float is is more surfy IMO. Q is more stable charging through crud, although the core type plays the biggest role in that

I would be quite comfortable using the 182 Q (heavy/carbon/veneer) as a daily Colorado driver. Definitely prefer over 187 Enduro/Nylon GPO.

I think going heavy core, and downsizing 1 size with the Q is the best of all worlds - retains the stability and crud busting ability, but shorter length is so easy to maneuver in tight places

Excellent info, thanks Muggydude!

That makes a bunch of sense. Want to get something heavy core veneer(I’ve decided carbon isn’t my thing)
    3 I’m hoping to hear about are the skinny rx’s, skinny protest and the possibility of a 181 Lhasa pow.
    Was nice to hear that zero/lower camber can be an option in a build(maybe that was a special order?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56921041381__B9FF66F8-9074-4C66-ADB7-E6FEBF7DAE93.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	264612

Protests
    196 cm
    Flex 4
    Carbon
    Veneer
    Tsunami top sheet

Japan here we go

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Duuuuude.

That says japow all over it. Including the shifts and tsunami

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    for me conventional works more often than not and switching out skis mid day or even mid season is a recipe for distraction. i’ve skied the weirder designs and keep coming back to what works well 83% of the time no matter the snow conditions.
    Yeah I appreciate this sentiment a lot and I don't doubt that the Rx probably borders on perfect design. I ski a lot of the year on small hills in eastern Quebec and the terrain is not always that compelling, so messing around on wildly different and often inappropriate skis keeps things fresh and keeps me motivated for night skiing in minus what the fuck are you thinking weather

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post

I think going heavy core, and downsizing 1 size with the Q is the best of all worlds - retains the stability and crud busting ability, but shorter length is so easy to maneuver in tight places
    This is my exact experience as well. Agree with Muggy's comparison of the Q and GPO totally, I will just add that I find on hardpack the shorter radius GPO is a little livelier and likes to throw down some higher g carves, whereas the Q is more like a cruise missile that's easy to redirect. Both fun.

Where did you end up mounting those Protests, line?

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56921041381__B9FF66F8-9074-4C66-ADB7-E6FEBF7DAE93.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	264612

Protests
    196 cm
    Flex 4
    Carbon
    Veneer
    Tsunami top sheet

Japan here we go

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    That says japow all over it. Including the shifts and tsunami
    The Tsunami was planned because this Japow trio has been in the works for over a year now.

The shifts just sort of fell into my lap. I bought a pair of 185 Zero G 95s with dynafits and skins, and wasn’t feeling them, but my roommate liked that set up, and he didn’t like the shifts, so we traded. Which worked out really well in my favor, I think.

They are at -1, I think, or that’s what I asked the shop to do for me.

Shu, late reply but I’m 170lbs and 5’10”. Flex 4 on my piste jib. I like it a lot but I could feel why I’d also like it to be softer. RIIIIIIPPING tree ski IMO and build in the flex 4 it can come cross Mtn on some hard angles

Nice feedback on the PJ, thanks Shu and jmars.

I barely take out my carving skis anymore, I have too much fun on the PJs here in NE. Mine are 184s, 3 flex w veneer. Awesome energy out of the turn, holds a very solid edge, make almost any turn shape, shut them down on a dime, jib with finesse and a little power too. Mine aren’t particularly stiff feeling in hand or under foot, but they’re capable enough to get to scary speeds when it’s any bit soft. So happy I own them.

Personally I prefer the Q over the GPO for resort charging, still digging my GPO’s in the BC. GPO’s are just so loose and pivoty, they really excel in tight spots and quick turns in pretty much any snow condition. Like everyone else here has said Q’s love the fall line and as soon as you learn to trust them they REALLY deliver! I would say where I differ is I wouldn’t size down, the 188’s kill it for me and I feel like I’d lose too much of their charge ability. Also IMO heavy core for resort is f n $$$. The only resort ski I’d build with an enduro core would be a dedicated pow stick, like a Protest maybe...
    Oh and yeah Concept for the motha F N win! Dig that they’re getting some much deserved love here. Been spending more time on my Q’s and MVP’s this year but every time I get back on the Concepts I just fall right back in love with them, I will never ever not have a pair of Concepts in my quiver, my favorite DD ever!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

All the love in the world for my PJ build but sometimes I want a touch less backbone......I can't butter these and when I do they release unpredictably....It my issue, not the skis. It holds an edge fantastic for a twin with the side cut it has, there are times I can make do what I demand out of my SnD, then the tail reminds me that kind of tool I'm on. I can't say enough about the PJ in the trees......I love it. Concepts too in the trees, just fast fun.

I get the dislike on the concept....the bump underfoot is felt, it never bothers me b/c its part of the design and I am mentally all in on this build. That which ppl dislike is why its such a fun ski.....IMO its the "playful charger"

[QUOTE/]

I now own the GPO, ProTest, Quixote, Piste Jib and the Concept...[/QUOTE]

So many praxis, so little time!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Noonan View Post
    Where did you end up mounting those Protests, line?
    See ya over there. Great minds...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56894769319__5977007C-75C0-4862-B25E-DE039442AC48.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	264700

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Nice feedback on the PJ, thanks Shu and jmars.

I barely take out my carving skis anymore, I have too much fun on the PJs here in NE. Mine are 184s, 3 flex w veneer. Awesome energy out of the turn, holds a very solid edge, make almost any turn shape, shut them down on a dime, jib with finesse and a little power too. Mine aren’t particularly stiff feeling in hand or under foot, but they’re capable enough to get to scary speeds when it’s any bit soft. So happy I own them.
    You bought mine, right? Glad you're loving them. I missed them so much I ended up snagging another pair, local and used but in good shape. Mount ended up being back just less than 1cm for my boot.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    You bought mine, right? Glad you're loving them. I missed them so much I ended up snagging another pair, local and used but in good shape. Mount ended up being back just less than 1cm for my boot.
    Yessir thaz me. Sorry you had seller’s remorse, but it sounds like it worked out in the end. -1ish cm sounds cool to me, maybe makes them even more fun in moguls.

I recall, at the time, you said you were on your carving skis more often for the type of conditions they excel in. My carvers still have their storage wax on them.

They’re still mint. Praxis build quality and durability is the best I’ve ever had.

Speaking of, and I know everyone here is gon disagree, but if 3pin is considering daily driving the Q’s I’d recommend mounting on the dimple if you go long. I mounted at -1 and as much as I love them there when it’s soft, I feel like I really have to get over the shovels to keep them in line everywhere else. I can see going back 1 if you do go shorter, which I also wouldn’t do. Q’s are chargers by nature, they are very adaptable to just about anything but they want to go down and they want to go down fast.

I know everyone here is gon disagree
    Yep. I'm -1.5 on 188s Enduro/nylon/3 and I am 6/0 165. I think the ski is totally manageable on groomers, bumps, hardpack etc. which is too say I think it is personal.

It's weird. I think Keith kills it on the order volume with all the custom options (good for business) but I wonder is people would actually end up with a more appropriate ski if the mad scientist shit was minimized.

If you were mounting a pair of MVP's, and you had a choice of aaatack demos and dukes, which would you choose?

i'm thinking of the demos so that I can try moving back and forth a bit to see what i like.

dukes have obvious capabilities, any real downside vs demos?

on the dimple? if the dimple be fine, the need for the demos diminishes vs the dukes.

My MVPs are mounted on the dimple with Dukes and I love them. 193s. But I haven’t used a pair without dukes. I personally pre-released in demos quite a bit but that was a decade ago and surely they’ve improved?

I agree. He’d probably be better off if he put a variety of boot Center options on the top sheet rather than just the one dimple(eg: new school, progressive, old school)or more. I’d call the dimple on gpo and protest and some others new school. Some mount forward of the dimple though. I have an idea where I want the different ski models mounted at this point but I see more than a few sell off their gpo’s or protests(for example) because I suspect they’ve mounted them in the wrong spot for their personal style . It’s a shame because I’ve been there but mounted in the correct spot they’re just a special ski. I just wonder if they give them a bad review to friends without actually seeing what the ski is capable of. The say some one that has a positive experience will tell 2 people(on average) and a bad experience they’ll tell 17. It’s painful to watch. I want to comment but everyone is different

This is all very fair, I honestly probably should keep my mount recs to myself. I was more or less just trying to explain that I personally don’t like to feel like I have to get over the shovels when I’m just dicking around, and was just sharing that exp. I do find myself getting closer to Keith’s recommended on pretty much every purchase (my latest, MVP’s, are on the line and they feel $$$). Whereas some skis I’ve mounted behind the line (mostly due to recs here) and for the most part want to move most of those forward from where they are currently mounted. Yeah, these are obviously personal preferences but I’ve read a million posts discussing this point and just thought it’d be worth noting the nuances of a ski where it was mounted. I don’t think disagreeing with the group think here is a bad thing, and I certainly don’t think Keith is trying to be any sort of “mad scientist”. He obviously wants to give people the best experience for their money and that’s where he happens to get the most enjoyment out of that particular ski.