Page 75 of 121 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    What are the dimensions of a skinny gpo?...... and what’s the consensus on them? I’ve been on gpos as my daily driver for 7 years and love them.....but thinking 105ish waist is a better option for daily Tahoe touring. Thanks
    BITD, I had 190 Praxis BCs. That's a great do-it-all shape. Maybe check those out?

(I didn't gel with the GPOs I tried, but I didn't really give them enough time to really know...)

Remounted these - now on their fourth set of clamps. f'ing love these things: 187 carbon/MAP

sproing!

I went 190 Bc’s after reading about skinny GPO’s. Great skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I went 190 Bc’s after reading about skinny GPO’s. Great skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    When I asked about this (last year?), the consensus was also to go with BCs instead of skinny GPOs.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I’ve skied the stock bc layup a bunch and the tails are too soft and wimpy....maybe a 4 flex bc would be better.......I’ll prolly just get another pair of gpos with a 4 flex/ul/veneer

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Interesting. Had not considered but will look at those numbers carefully. 184 would be shorter than my usual but perhaps that's part of thinking outside the box.
    If a +10 build is still possible that would add a couple cm in length as well. For that usage i generally go shorter. My typical praxis length would b a 180-182. My exp was perfect at 173

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I loved the BC shape and dimension, just wish it was in a 18x size.
    what about a +1cm Piste Jib?

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

+1 PJ = MVP, que no?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I loved the BC shape and dimension, just wish it was in a 18x size.
    what about a +1cm Piste Jib?
    My buddy has a pair of 184 + 1 PJs, and loves them, as an everyday resort ski/travel ski. Oddly the PJ doesn't seem to exist anymore in the standard edition skis and seems to be replaced by the Slugger?

https://www.praxisskis.com/skis/praxis-slugger/

sorry if this is old news

I have never been a fan of the UL core. I have the BCs in 180 cm with the enduro + carbon, #3 flex, and am loving it. I wavered between #4 flex (which I usually get) and #3. Given that I've been using the BCs nearly every day this season, I might go with #4 next time. I can't, however, compare it to a GPO, let alone a skinny GPO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    My buddy has a pair of 184 + 1 PJs, and loves them, as an everyday resort ski/travel ski. Oddly the PJ doesn't seem to exist anymore in the standard edition skis and seems to be replaced by the Slugger?

those two ski's dimensions aren't even close to each other.

having had PJs and MVPs, I prefered the PJs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post

Pretty sure the PJ is now the MVP 94

Re: +10 exp, I'm not convinced it has the taper I'm looking for to feel frictionless in shit fuck snow after crunching some numbers. The raven really seems somewhat unique in this segment. Back to contemplating a skinny wootest... or maybe I should just suck it up and get a raven, I don't know.

Pretty sure the PJ is now the MVP 94

Re: +10 exp, I'm not convinced it has the taper I'm looking for to feel frictionless in shit fuck snow after crunching some numbers. The raven really seems somewhat unique in this segment. Back to contemplating a skinny wootest... or maybe I should just suck it up and get a raven, I don't know.
    TL;DR because they're not a typical Praxis, ski, the EXPs are unfairly overlooked. I'm not the least bit tempted to explore a ZG-85 or 95.

All I can tell you is that @grinch's 173 EXPs (veneer) were a big, pleasant surprise in sloppy Spring snow. Drive the tips and they barely deflect. No, they're not ON3P ant-deflecto, but great for 1400 g. No doubt, the veneer contributes.

My normal Praxis length is also in the 182 range, and standing on the 173s, I wouldn't have guessed they're that short.

It had been a long time since I've been on a ski that a could bend into a fairly tight arc, and it's a lot of fun (with minimal twitchy-ness).

I have no idea how this would translate into a +10 build, however.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

or maybe I should just suck it up and get a raven, I don't know.
    Protests are the only current Praxis ski I have any real time on, so I have nothing useful to contribute vis-a-vis the Praxis version of what you're looking for, but I've got at least 100 days on the Raven, mostly in Western WA, and it sure sounds like it would be a great fit for what you're after. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Search. I wrote a separate thread. No bueno - for me, at least
    For me, I'm still curious about skinny GPO's, not for touring, but as a lower tide ski (less snow), so for 182+ lengths, is 116-10 mm = 106mm

I have a pair of 175 cm UL GPO;s that I used as a powder touring (skinning) ski, and at the -5mm width (116-5 mm = 111 mm) have worked well for me.

I just picked up a pair of 175 Praxis Sluggers, which at 102 mm will be inbounds ski #2 complementing my 182 GPO (116 mm).

So, for me, buying a pair of skinny 182 GPO's is probably years out.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Protests are the only current Praxis ski I have any real time on, so I have nothing useful to contribute vis-a-vis the Praxis version of what you're looking for, but I've got at least 100 days on the Raven, mostly in Western WA, and it sure sounds like it would be a great fit for what you're after. FWIW.
    Actually that might be the most relevant comparison possible for my quest. My protests are my primary touring ski. They deal with the variable conditions like a dream so long as it's 3d everywhere. But when I start chasing north facing spring pow, the skin tracks get pretty shity. They're too wide for most ski crampons and the ankle roll gets tiresome. The problem is my yetis just aren't even in the same league for dealing with wind or sun crusts and I find myself missing the frictionless feel. I feel bad threadjacking but care to compare the Raven to the Protest? Do they actually have similar traits or have I consumed too much kool-aid?

Actually that might be the most relevant comparison possible for my quest. My protests are my primary touring ski. They deal with the variable conditions like a dream so long as it's 3d everywhere. But when I start chasing north facing spring pow, the skin tracks get pretty shity. They're too wide for most ski crampons and the ankle roll gets tiresome. The problem is my yetis just aren't even in the same league for dealing with wind or sun crusts and I find myself missing the frictionless feel. I feel bad threadjacking but care to compare the Raven to the Protest? Do they actually have similar traits or have I consumed too much kool-aid?
    Short answer: the Ravens are very, very good at dealing with weird, crusty snow for a ski that's as light as they are. You're on the right track with the Protest comparison.

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat more without totally derailing this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    If a +10 build is still possible that would add a couple cm in length as well. TGR Forums mobile app
    Seen this statement a couple of times lately.

For clarification, a +10 build adds 5 mm all the way around the perimeter of the skis. In other words, 5 mm each side and 5 mm top and bottom as well, making the ski one cm longer, not two.

I need to do a proper review of my skinny Quixote. Absolutely love them.

Highly recommend considering it for a 10xish waisted ski. Especially if you like GPOs, protests, etc.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    That would be greatly appreciated. That's at the top of my list. The regular Q is my favorite 115'ish Praxis ski out of my Concept GPO and Q. I may even like it more than my Protest in Pow. (gasp)

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    Seen this statement a couple of times lately.

For clarification, a +10 build adds 5 mm all the way around the perimeter of the skis. In other words, 5 mm each side and 5 mm top and bottom as well, making the ski one cm longer, not two.
    Thanks fot clearing that. Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post

Highly recommend considering it for a 10xish waisted ski. Especially if you like GPOs, protests, etc.
    It does seem like a really well designed ski. It has everything i add to an rx and things i couldnt change on a gpo. Gpo/rx are both great. Without trying one, the Q looks like it has refined the intentions of the rx/gpo

Had day one on my new 175 cm Praxis Sluggers today at snowmass on the corning groomers

Great ski, really like it.

Went -1 cm with alpine bindings (tyrolia attack 13 gw) and probably could have gone -2 cm.

Really fun energetic ski

Heavy hitter core with carbon in standard build

a little easier skiing groomers on this 102 mm ski than my 182 GPO's at 116 mm, but the GPO's do rock the groomers pretty damn well.

Think my knees will thank me in the long run

Great second day on the sluggers at Aspen Highlands.
    Surprised to find some preserved cold snow in the trees on skier's right of the bowl

Very encouraged by the responsiveness and the stiff flex (#4), relatively, for my experience.

Didn't think variable, conditions would ski so well with this narrower ski (102 mm) with less tip and tail rocker (than the GPO), but I was wrong.

Happy to be wrong!

Nice!!

Random question, but what ski has Tabke been on for the recent FWT events?