Page 41 of 121 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 3008
    My pleasure.

Would love to hear that someone here got on a pair. And I hope that Keith posts a few rocker pics, hint hint.

always felt like praxis rockers were very conservative and not "modern", looks like they are adjusting

I'm still impressed/flabbergasted that he wanted the ultralight core for a freeride comp?!

Clearly the skier not the ski as he still skied the conditions smooth AF.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    I'm still impressed/flabbergasted that he wanted the ultralight core for a freeride comp?!

Clearly the skier not the ski as he still skied the conditions smooth AF.
    Especially considering 13 years ago he snapped his Spatulas (leading to the birth of the Pro Test model) ... but that was wet Tahoe mank, not light dry japow snow.

The description of the build process was so interesting - thinking about matching the swing weight and contact properties to the line and the snow ... months ahead of time!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Huk - curious what’s behind the times in profiles? Absence of full rocker? Ccr was a custom option for a long time. Protest came out a looong time ago too

And damn. I did not look like tabke on 3 flex UL’s...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I suspect he’s talking about lower tip height but rocker starting closer to the boot. Almost every model of Praxis ski has between 6 and 7.5 cm of tip rise, so it’s hard to call that conservative!

When did the Powderboard come out, 2004? Pro Test first pressed in 2007, I think the Backcountry came out in 2008 or 2009, and BC tip height has always been 7 cm with something like a 45 cm early splay leading to heavier rocker rise closer to the nose around 20 cm. It might be an “old” design by today’s standards, but I can’t call it conservative, and it is still super fun to ski!

Then you have the Concept ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    He just went for a japow vacation and fwt was a pleasant addition

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    He just went for a japow vacation and fwt was a pleasant addition
    That's the way to do it!
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    A number of peeps have been down with a kusala reboot. I say we make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Can we still make this happen?

It’s best for my wallet that we don’t

Haha well, I now have 17k' on my Woos and finally today got to really let em rip. ~35º loose trees, and a perfect untouched ~35º open gully... these things are fucking unreal. If there is a speed limit, it's faster than I will ever go in the bc. I heavily detuned the entire ski and they still are a touch twitchy on the hiking trail packed down exits, maybe need a tiny bit more detune. But in anything 3d, good lord. just 4 days in and already I'm comfortable just pointing them wherever, knowing that I can effortlessly throw the ski sideways and slash to a stop. It's actually gotten me a few times, the ski is so easy to pivot that I let myself get moving so fast that my stop actually skids me past where I wanna go. At this weight, being able to do 4-5k' in a few hours before work on these, they are gonna take over a lot of days from the rest of my quiver.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200128-03.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	312708
    ^ testing ground this morning

Incredibly confidence-inspiring, not that this is news to anyone in this thread anyway.

Nice work!
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

First of all, Mall Walker....wow!

Second, Praxis Concepts for the win! Late to the party but I bought Muggydude's 187 Concepts from him later last season. Had only skied it in fresher snow. Finally decided to take them out for a non-powder-ski-with-kids day yesterday and see what the wacky design can do. WOW!!! Blown away by what they can do on corduroy and tight tree skiing. I anticipated that they would be able to pivot quickly but I was astonished with just HOW easy they pivoted in tight terrain. An absolute blast. IMO, they are just slightly inferior to my 186 Lhasas in the deep powder if splitting hairs but the versatility and stability (while being pivoty) exceeded my expectations. I understand now how these skis have a strong following. Outside of really firm days, this will be my ski for the rest of the year.
    Last edited by Magnoe; 01-29-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Thats great! Sounds like a sweet bc tool

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Skied my first day on Protests at Crystal last Sunday.. All I can say is WOW what a ski...

6 inches of pow to absolute boilerplate groomers to rain crust to icy moguls, the ski remained totally predictable and easy to ski.

Cannot wait to get it out in some more favorable conditions..I am now a believer.

Concept.....it’s BEST attribute is how they ski much narrower then measured and the pivot factor in the trees is outrageous

I took my EXPs (mounted with Atomic Backland) out today, and what I experienced suprised me to say the least.

First and foremost - EXPs ski like a heavier ski, even in their stock configuarion for the 173cm size. The exception is fast, medium+ size slarvish turns on hardpack where they chatter a lot (surprise surprise). They turn on a dime at slow speeds when it is steepish, yet comfortably hold long GS turns / stay on edge at higher speeds on harder snow. The edge grip is really something. Their willingness to stay on edge for long turns really took me by surprise, even if they felt a bit more locked in compared to the BMT90s (mounted with Vipecs) that I rode them back to back with. I have not detunded them at all, so some slight detuning might have remedied what is described above.

BMT90s are a easier to release in the tail (less camber), but doesn't have the same edge grip. BMT90s also aren't quite as fond of large arcs, but it is totally doable. BMT90s also have a bit less weight on the tips/tails - making them feel a bit more squirrelly in certain scenarios. Don't get me wrong though - I really enjoyed the BMTs as well.

The one negative for both skis is just how much more work they are to ski in shit, bumpy dust on ice snow condtitions than regular resort skis - but that kinda goes with the territory right.

My knees are less than exstatic right about now though, but oh well. Good day skiing - i learned a lot about said skis and how to ride them across a few conditions, so all in all very happy with how the day turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I took my EXPs (mounted with Atomic Backland) out today, and what I experienced suprised me to say the least.

First and foremost - EXPs ski like a heavier ski, even in their stock configuarion for the 173cm size. The exception is fast, medium+ size slarvish turns on hardpack where they chatter a lot (surprise surprise). They turn on a dime at slow speeds when it is steepish, yet comfortably hold long GS turns / stay on edge at higher speeds on harder snow. The edge grip is really something. Their willingness to stay on edge for long turns really took me by surprise, even if they felt a bit more locked in compared to the BMT90s (mounted with Vipecs) that I rode them back to back with. I have not detunded them at all, so some slight detuning might have remedied what is described above.

BMT90s are a easier to release in the tail (less camber), but doesn't have the same edge grip. BMT90s also aren't quite as fond of large arcs, but it is totally doable. BMT90s also have a bit less weight on the tips/tails - making them feel a bit more squirrelly in certain scenarios. Don't get me wrong though - I really enjoyed the BMTs as well.

The one negative for both skis is just how much more work they are to ski in shit, bumpy dust on ice snow condtitions than regular resort skis - but that kinda goes with the territory right.

My knees are less than exstatic right about now though, but oh well. Good day skiing - i learned a lot about said skis and how to ride them across a few conditions, so all in all very happy with how the day turned out.
    'nuther thing about the EXPs is how they bust through Spring muck. As long as you drive the tips, they're surprisingly stable/predictable (also a 173).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Ordered one but had Keith take the camber out since it'll be a powder touring ski for me. Thought a little more rocker mixed with the softer flex would make a pretty versatile soft snow touring setup. Will post up photos and a short review once we get some fresh snow in Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    My pleasure.

Would love to hear that someone here got on a pair. And I hope that Keith posts a few rocker pics, hint hint.

Thoughts/advice wanted. First time buying new skis and I decided to support a small company that produces great skis. I ordered some Praxis skis after emailing with Keith, great guy to talk with. I ordered them on Dec 28th and he said they'd be shipped within a week. Okay great. Then I checked back in a week after he said they'd be shipped out, Jan 14th. And he said they'd be shipped out that week. I checked with him again this week and he said they'd be shipped yesterday but I still haven't heard anything. This is not at all supposed to be a "call out" and I've given lots of patience here but was supposed to be a week until they were shipped and now it's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything. Do I have reason to be ticked off or am I being a winy little bitch?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Thoughts/advice wanted. First time buying new skis and I decided to support a small company that produces great skis. I ordered some Praxis skis after emailing with Keith, great guy to talk with. I ordered them on Dec 28th and he said they'd be shipped within a week. Okay great. Then I checked back in a week after he said they'd be shipped out, Jan 14th. And he said they'd be shipped out that week. I checked with him again this week and he said they'd be shipped yesterday but I still haven't heard anything. This is not at all supposed to be a "call out" and I've given lots of patience here but was supposed to be a week until they were shipped and now it's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything. Do I have reason to be ticked off or am I being a winy little bitch?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Its a new experience for you. He usually ships really quick. I wouldnt worry though. Im sure theyll ship really soon and theirs an explanation. He might have run out of stock and will be building some for you possibly. Something like that. What did you order?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Ok team Praxis ....thoughts on a BC? My wife loves hers and I love the shape. I’m a die hard concept fan boy (187) flex 4, protest 192 flex 4, 184 PJ(4)& SnD 185 (5) - love all of these skis and tour on the concepts and pjs.

Looking to lighten my load but no go full weight weenie bc my downhill is important to me.

Clearly there is no 184 BC (sigh) but those playing in this size range of ski would you go up to a 190 or stick to the 180? 190 allows me to haul on the resort but at the penalty of kick turn length when in the side and backcountry....I can swing the concept but it’s not the best(something I made peace with bc of the skis versatility)

Thoughts? Read though a bunch last night but thinking this build in a 190 flex 3 may be the ticket....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Ok team Praxis ....thoughts on a BC? My wife loves hers and I love the shape. I’m a die hard concept fan boy (187) flex 4, protest 192 flex 4, 184 PJ(4)& SnD 185 (5) - love all of these skis and tour on the concepts and pjs.

Looking to lighten my load but no go full weight weenie bc my downhill is important to me.

Clearly there is no 184 BC (sigh) but those playing in this size range of ski would you go up to a 190 or stick to the 180? 190 allows me to haul on the resort but at the penalty of kick turn length when in the side and backcountry....I can swing the concept but it’s not the best(something I made peace with bc of the skis versatility)

Thoughts? Read though a bunch last night but thinking this build in a 190 flex 3 may be the ticket....thanks
    I tour on 180 cm UL BCs quite a bit with either TLT6s or Scarpa Alien RS. It's a really good combo and the light boots pair with that size ski nicely. I'm 6', 175 and find the float surprisingly good and edge hold decent enough. Overall I'm super happy with these and they've been in the quiver as long as anything else. If you're actually going to do longer tours I would not hesitate to size down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

Looking at your current quiver I’d be tempted to go with your gut and do the 190s. That’s a little over half lb per ski in weight savings. What bindings will you be using? Depending on what you have on the Concepts and PJs you could be easily shaving off a lb or more per ski.

All that being said, I’m very happy with my 180s. But I’m not a hard charger and I’m 5’11”, 180 for reference. They float well and while I haven’t gotten into any tight terrain yet I think I’ll personally appreciate a little shorter ski for maneuverability reasons. My 180s plus MTN bindings come in around 4.3lbs per ski.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post

Last edited by GoSlowGoFar; 01-31-2020 at 10:29 AM.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Yeah, 185 BC would be $$$, 180 is just too damn short IMO. I just hate having to turn it down a notch on really a good day after a really good climb. I feel ya on the want for a shorter ski for the up but in my exp the extra length is worth it for the payoff at the end of the of the day. Also feel like moving the BC back a cm on the mount is almost preferable as it is very similar to the GPO from what I’ve read here, if that helps at all.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!