Page 62 of 121 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 3008
    Going to be mounting my GPOs soon. It sounds like the consensus around here is to mount it at -1; has anyone experimented with mounting it on the line? I ski fairly centred and ski the BC on the line and love it. Any thoughts?

I'd rather be at -2 than the line, but like traditional mounts.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

I've run at -1.0, -1.5, -1.75 on a few different GPOs and binder combos (Warden MNCs, Vipecs, & BD Helio 200s). I've liked all three mounts and skied them with a similar stance (center-forward).

Maybe I'd be OK with on the line? I'm not taking any chances ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post
    Having owned 187 mvp and 188 Q, the Q did firm better. There’s a lot more running length, stronger tail and (slightly) tighter feeling turn radius on the Q. Only other thing I’d consider is the weights of your exact pair, my Q is a heavy core so ~2400g per ski which made for tired legs at the end of the day.
    Too late to be useful?

Agree 100%. The mvp is a good touring quiver of one, but the Q is a little more locked in. Little more of a fall line ski.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Ive skied both the MVPs and Qs, stick with the Qs. They can handle everything from goofing around at the resort on a meh day to over head blower. Probably one of the easiest skis I’ve ever been on if you turn your mind off and just ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Ive skied both the MVPs and Qs, stick with the Qs. They can handle everything from goofing around at the resort on a meh day to over head blower. Probably one of the easiest skis I’ve ever been on if you turn your mind off and just ski.

Pretty much decided on the Qs but once again waffling on keeping the MVPs just because. If it's a big winter, I may have a hard time leaving in Jan/Feb since I have a pass already but will see. 16 plus inches overnight and still piling up here in Helena.

edit to add: I didn't respond to the "turn your mind off" part regarding the Qs, but have actually found that I need to really be paying attention to not have a ski wander, but mostly when flat on groomers etc. I think I probably just haven't detuned enough though. I have been blown away with how well they handle crappy wind affected snow though and actually seek it out when not a great powder day just for the fun of blowing through it.
    Last edited by 3PinGrin; 10-24-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Going to be mounting my GPOs soon. It sounds like the consensus around here is to mount it at -1; has anyone experimented with mounting it on the line? I ski fairly centred and ski the BC on the line and love it. Any thoughts?
    Usage?? I have a touring setup at -2, like it, not going to change it, but if I were to do it again I would definitely move up to -1. If I were going to mount for resort I would mount on the line. I’m in the minority on really liking Keith’s mount points though. Because of all the chatter here I’ve mounted several models behind the line and always ended up moving forward, now I just mount on the line unless usage or size makes me think I should slide em back a hair.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

yeah most ppl like the gpo's -1. if you like the line on other praxis, though, you'll probably like it on the gpo. somewhere in this thread is someone quoting keith on mounting new praxis where you like your other praxis. makes sense to me...

Main reason to mount GPOs back of the line is if you want to negate tip dive in deep snow. On firm snow and in resort chop the line is great.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Anybody have a pair for 190 BCs from the last 3ish years they'd like to sell me?

I had some BCs back in the day, and miss having them in the quiver. Don't think I've found another mid-fat (105-110), mid- and round stiffness ski, that has a flatter (but not flat) tail, with a mid-20s turning radius, that's surfy in pow and still slays the hardback and variable funk.

For reference, the touring quiver includes 187 Protests, 189 Backland 107s (BCs would replace these), and BD Helio 95s.

Might grab some through the current sale but figured I'd ask here first... Anybody?

Here's my old BCs in their natural habitat

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anybody have a pair for 190 BCs from the last 3ish years they'd like to sell me?

I had some BCs back in the day, and miss having them in the quiver. Don't think I've found another mid-fat (105-110), mid- and round stiffness ski, that has a flatter (but not flat) tail, with a mid-20s turning radius, that's surfy in pow and still slays the hardback and variable funk.

For reference, the touring quiver includes 187 Protests, 189 Backland 107s (BCs would replace these), and BD Helio 95s.

Might grab some through the current sale but figured I'd ask here first... Anybody?

Here's my old BCs in their natural habitat

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Sweet shot! I'm liking my 180 BCs (MAA/carbon, 3 flex, veneer), debated on 190 but seemed long for touring, I think 185 would be the sweet spot for me at 165ish 6' tall but happy with the 180.

I skied the 4 flex 187 on the line and liked that mount point a lot though I’m barely 5’8 and a whopping 137lbs. This year I’ve sized down to the 4 flex 182 per Keiths recommendation. He also said that he himself skis the 182 GPO quite a lot.

One thing I love about the Rottefella Freeride bindings that I use for lift served skiing is that they mount to a plate and give you the option of moving 1.5cm fore or aft from the center position (and also easily move the binding to different skis).

So if anyone wants to donate some GPOs for experimentation, I would be happy to oblige (even though I'm trying to thin the quiver, ha). I almost bought a pair of used GPOs instead of the Qs and have no regrets at all, but have been curious to compare the GPO. If I buy another Praxis in the near future I think it would be a UL GPO for touring deeper days. Was definitely drooling over the Lhasa Pow option though.....

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Main reason to mount GPOs back of the line is if you want to negate tip dive in deep snow. On firm snow and in resort chop the line is great.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Pretty much decided on the Qs but once again waffling on keeping the MVPs just because. If it's a big winter, I may have a hard time leaving in Jan/Feb since I have a pass already but will see. 16 plus inches overnight and still piling up here in Helena.

edit to add: I didn't respond to the "turn your mind off" part regarding the Qs, but have actually found that I need to really be paying attention to not have a ski wander, but mostly when flat on groomers etc. I think I probably just haven't detuned enough though. I have been blown away with how well they handle crappy wind affected snow though and actually seek it out when not a great powder day just for the fun of blowing through it.
    Definitely detune the Qs to a few inches past the camber/rocker point (in towards the bindings). Once I stopped over thinking the shape, they worked great. I had one issue with them, a Tabke moment some may say, but I think it was more binding/technique issues then the skis. They are just skis, that ski just like skis. Just a bit easier with the offset side cut thing.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Usage?? I have a touring setup at -2, like it, not going to change it, but if I were to do it again I would definitely move up to -1. If I were going to mount for resort I would mount on the line. I’m in the minority on really liking Keith’s mount points though. Because of all the chatter here I’ve mounted several models behind the line and always ended up moving forward, now I just mount on the line unless usage or size makes me think I should slide em back a hair.

This is hopefully going to be my resort powder ski; I thought the ON3P BG was going to be that last season but I didn't like it so moving on to a GPO after really clicking with the Praxis BC. I'm mounting pivot 18s on them, not for the DIN, but for the option of mounting a CAST system on there if I want to later. So this might end up being a sidecountry ski (maybe) if everything goes to plan. The BC is my touring ski (though I ski it inbounds on all kinds of snow and love it).

How bad is that tip dive you speak of?

I’d vote -1.25 or -1.5 on the GPOs. I preferred mine there over the line for everything. Tip dive was a little disappointing on the line for me, fine mounted back.

I like all my praxis skis about -1 to -1.5cm begins the line. I like supportive tips though

What size was that on? My friend picked up some 182s and I'm trying to give good advice.

I've been at -1 on 192s for 5+ seasons without much complaint but I'm not very aware about mount points.

My brief foray with 187s was at -1 and I didn't feel the need to go farther back. If it weren't for tight trees, I would have kept them. Instead, I swapped them out for my ol' faithful length and mounted them at -1.5.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

How bad is that tip dive you speak of?
    Depends who you ask. I personally don't mind an occasional submarine of the tips in low angle, or especially deep snow. However the tip shape is definitely not prone to floating or planing so I think going back - 1cm minimum is probably worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    What size was that on? My friend picked up some 182s and I'm trying to give good advice.

I've been at -1 on 192s for 5+ seasons without much complaint but I'm not very aware about mount points.
    I've skied both 187 and 182. The shorter length may be more sensitive to the issue since float (originating from the front half of the ski) is what we seem to be discussing. So at least - 1 cm. Maybe more if it's someone only powder ski...

GPO mount point isn't to critical, well because: Protest.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Protest.
    When you know, you know...

Winter approaching stoke. Skinny RX skis pow just fine.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Great stoke! What’s going on with your poles there? You don’t dig grips?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post

187. How big is your friend?