Page 18 of 121 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Just spent 6 days on some 9Ds skiing east coast stuff in the Mt. Mansfield State Forest area -- from windblown creamy goodness in the trees to icy bumps at nearby resorts. That is one super fun ski and perfect for those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    Now to figure out what topsheet/veneer I'm going to go with. I dig that Arctic Two graphic but not sure how it'll look in a veneer...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1413.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	507.1 KB 
ID:	272139

Arctic Two on Cherry, not mine but they are gorgeous in person
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

What’s the general consensus on skinny Qs? The more I ski my stock Qs, the more I like them. My knees wish they were a tad narrower on low snow days and I’m wondering if skinny Qs will do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Also curious about skinny Qs. Spent a few days recently in mostly shitfuck conditions on enduro Qs, and they were way better than their width deserved. Seemed like narrower heavycore with the same idea could be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    Also curious about skinny Qs. Spent a few days recently in mostly shitfuck conditions on enduro Qs, and they were way better than their width deserved. Seemed like narrower heavycore with the same idea could be fantastic.
    Every time I stray from the stock design, I don’t love the skis as much as I think I should. The enduro stock Q is so good, does it need the heavy core if it’s made at -10? Will the Qs be more likely to keep their camber over the life of the ski with the heavy core? My stock Qs have lost all their camber, not a complaint, just an observation, and actually was the one thing I wanted to change about the ski when I just got it, going from camber to flat. I think I’d want the skinny Qs to keep their camber, so maybe heavy core or would Carbon do the trick?

I have posted my thoughts on the 188, 4 flex heavy core -10 Qs a few times over in this thread. If you can’t find it let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I never felt my Concepts were slow edge to edge, rather very quick for a ski it’s size.
    Yeah, I figured I'd get some push back on that count. I should clarify, that I meant just a bit slow ime, probably owing to them being the widest, and possibly heaviest ski I've ever strapped the flip-flops to. I've done same-day A-B comparisons between my Concepts and a pair of 182 Yetis, default build and flex, and there's no doubt which of those two are significantly quicker edge to edge. However, I've voted which of those two I prefer: I spend almost all of my in-area time on the Concepts no matter what the conditions.

cheers,
    john

I think I've finally got enough time on my 192 E+C #4 yetis to gel with them. total of about 10 tours in 0-30 cm ski pen including a bigger traverse (for me) and a couple resort days.

They're definitely not as loose as i expected. If you need them to break free, they will, but they want you to tell them in a way that's not open to interpretation.

In open spaces, they're quite happy to haul the mail. If the snow isn't too variable (as in breakable suncrusts and similar garbage) they don't exhibit any marked speed limit. Having said that, in suboptimal conditions, they can be a bit of a handful but I'm not terribly surprised. they're stiff and skinny with a big(ish) radius. I'd wager their behavior is rather different to the stock yeti.

consistent boot top is just lovely. many turn shapes, predictable, fast, stable. lots of stuff is good in pow though.

Chalk is pretty fun on them. excellent edge grip. I de-tuned a touch inboard of the contact patch at both ends to get a bit more looseness. no negative effect on firm with the amount of filing i did but time will tell if i end up wanting more.

Lastly, i know it's not what most people get a yeti for but in the build i got, they are SUPER fun on groomers. like wicked fun. They've got a ton of energy and snap as well as carving trenches.

I wouldn't make them a DD for my neck of the woods by any means, but I'm very happy with how they cover the spectrum of touring conditions when combined with my protests. no overlap (duh) but also not really any conditions I'm left wanting.

Nickel, how aggressively did you detune the reverse sidecut portion of the tails? I found on the GPO that was my missing ingredient for being able to break the ski loose whenever I wanted. Seems like if you want a more forgiving tune that might be something to try. On paper, it shouldn’t affect groomer or chalky buff performance too much.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

8 passes on each side with a bastard file on a 45 degree.

I don't think I've read about anyone doing a Touring layup for an Rx - a UL in maybe a #3 Flex.

Anyone?

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    ^ sent you a PM. Annual custom sale is usually late March through late May.
    Just got this in my inbox.

Name:  Praxis sale.PNG
Views: 754
Size:  40.9 KB

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

"A-ski"

That was literally flowing's review.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Too short yet again

I think NeckBeard from way back did a 179 RX with the UL core and quite liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I don't think I've read about anyone doing a Touring layup for an Rx - a UL in maybe a #3 Flex.

Anyone?

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Just wanted to give an update on my PJs (184 Heavy Carbon, Veneer) along with a short TR.

I packed my PJs trip for a trip to Reve and Kicking Horse this past week. February was a pretty dry month and the forecast before leaving wasn't for much more than few inches over a couple days, so they seemed like the right choice.

Well we got about 8" in the alpine at Kicking horse Monday into Tuesday, and Reve was even deeper in some places skiing well over a foot. While this had made for awesome skiing, it still wasn't enough for a full reset of the whole mountains, so this meant an average runs consisted of about 1200 feet of pow and chop and then 3000 feet of big bumps and fast groomers.

Man I gotta say the PJ is the little ski that could. I've been especially impressed by how well it has been skiing pow. It definitely skis more "in the snow" than what I'd usually ride in accumulations likes this (Q, GPO) and so as a result is a bit slower, but man has it been fun. I've been able to charge as hard as I want, and the heavy vore +veneer just fkn rallies in chop. A couple times I've been curious how a particular line might have gone on a bigger ski, but never cause I wasn't able to ski exactly what and how I wanted.

The gear whore in me was thinking that the ultimate ski this week would have been the MVP. A bit more float but still fun in bumps. But I digress. PJ is an amazingly capable do it all ski.

This my third trip out to KH and Reve, and I gotta say as an east coaster that makes due with a lot freezing cold groomer days and night skiing, it never fails to blow my mind.

Last couple times at Reve it was completely socked in so this was really the first time I got to see the place in the sun and didn't disappoint. At KH, Ozone and Whitewall didn't open until midweek, but man so worth the wait. Walking up Ozone the first time it was hard to believe where I was, like it almost didn't feel real, and Middle Ridge is so worth that extra boot pack.

Heres a few pics of the week, to give a fair idea of what the conditions were like.

Reve-North Bowl from the Top of the Ripper

Name:	North Bowl Alt.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	274552

Reve-South Bowl

Name:	Reve South Bowl.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1,014.1 KB 
ID:	274553

Reve-Peak

Name:	Reve Peak.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	274554

KH-Whitewall and Ozone

Name:	Ozone and Whitewall.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	274555

KH-Whitewall Shredded

Name:	Whitewall Shredded.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	973.0 KB 
ID:	274556

KH-Action Shot! Go PJ

Name:	Ozone Action 4.jpg 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	274557

I'm thinking of getting a custom 177 Concept with #3 Flex and Heavy Hitter core. Is this crazy? Reason for the weird specs is I'm short and light (5' 5", 135lbs) but ski very aggressively as an ex-racer. I'm moving from the East coast so getting rid of all my race skis and looking for something to handle Tahoe Crud. Quiver of one ski for now until I get more used to the terrain and snow and can make a more informed decision in a coupe of seasons (or maybe months ). In-Bounds only as I have a dedicated touring setup already.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a custom 177 Concept with #3 Flex and Heavy Hitter core. Is this crazy? Reason for the weird specs is I'm short and light (5' 5", 135lbs) but ski very aggressively as an ex-racer. I'm moving from the East coast so getting rid of all my race skis and looking for something to handle Tahoe Crud. Quiver of one ski for now until I get more used to the terrain and snow and can make a more informed decision in a coupe of seasons (or maybe months ). In-Bounds only as I have a dedicated touring setup already.
    Thanks!
    Sounds like a good build for what you describe. I guess the same build in a 175 GPO is an option as well

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Just wanted to give an update on my PJs (184 Heavy Carbon, Veneer) along with a short TR.

I packed my PJs trip for a trip to Reve and Kicking Horse this past week. February was a pretty dry month and the forecast before leaving wasn't for much more than few inches over a couple days, so they seemed like the right choice.

Well we got about 8" in the alpine at Kicking horse Monday into Tuesday, and Reve was even deeper in some places skiing well over a foot. While this had made for awesome skiing, it still wasn't enough for a full reset of the whole mountains, so this meant an average runs consisted of about 1200 feet of pow and chop and then 3000 feet of big bumps and fast groomers.

Man I gotta say the PJ is the little ski that could. I've been especially impressed by how well it has been skiing pow. It definitely skis more "in the snow" than what I'd usually ride in accumulations likes this (Q, GPO) and so as a result is a bit slower, but man has it been fun. I've been able to charge as hard as I want, and the heavy vore +veneer just fkn rallies in chop. A couple times I've been curious how a particular line might have gone on a bigger ski, but never cause I wasn't able to ski exactly what and how I wanted.

The gear whore in me was thinking that the ultimate ski this week would have been the MVP. A bit more float but still fun in bumps. But I digress. PJ is an amazingly capable do it all ski.

This my third trip out to KH and Reve, and I gotta say as an east coaster that makes due with a lot freezing cold groomer days and night skiing, it never fails to blow my mind.

Last couple times at Reve it was completely socked in so this was really the first time I got to see the place in the sun and didn't disappoint. At KH, Ozone and Whitewall didn't open until midweek, but man so worth the wait. Walking up Ozone the first time it was hard to believe where I was, like it almost didn't feel real, and Middle Ridge is so worth that extra boot pack.

Heres a few pics of the week, to give a fair idea of what the conditions were like.

Reve-North Bowl from the Top of the Ripper

Name:	North Bowl Alt.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	274552

Reve-South Bowl

Name:	Reve South Bowl.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1,014.1 KB 
ID:	274553

Reve-Peak

Name:	Reve Peak.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	274554

KH-Whitewall and Ozone

Name:	Ozone and Whitewall.jpg 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	274555

KH-Whitewall Shredded

Name:	Whitewall Shredded.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	973.0 KB 
ID:	274556

KH-Action Shot! Go PJ

Name:	Ozone Action 4.jpg 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	274557
    Fuckinrad, great pics!

Thanks!
    Boom bomb, sounds brilliant

There's a pair of 182cm Heavy/Carbon/Veneer GPO's in my future. Going with a 3 or 3+ flex.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Thanks!
    For 135 lbs and aggressive ex-racer, the flex, core and length sounds right ... I’m 5’ 8” 135 lbs and my 182 GPOs are 3 flex, enduro veneer, and they feel perfect for me when skiing aggressively ... but I never raced and have shit form so 3+ could also suit you well. Heavy hitter core will really help settle the skis on those long beat up cold drought spells before it gets warm enough each day to soften things up.

Speaking of long, beat up drought spells, they happen more frequently than the legendary storms that drop 8-10 feet in 3 days. Given that, for only having a single ski you might consider 106-110 underfoot for your daily driver because at your weight (as I know well) a 106 waisted ski can still have great fun on a thigh deep day and more importantly it can handle regularly skiing beat up crust with less wear on the ankles.

I know the Praxis 116-waist skis all handle firm snow very well, but maybe I’m just getting old to the point where I’m not sure I could ski that width every day when conditions are truly wretched. The good news is that drought conditions in Tahoe also tend to go along with overall warm temps, so at some point something southeast facing will soften and 116 skis will be fun, its more when you get a 2-week cold snap with no snow (after a warm dry spell), and then things can be awful for a bit.

I’d throw skinny Concept (but it would end up slightly shorter at 176 cm), skinny RX (would end up at 178 cm), or 180 BC (it skis really short, definitely feels shorter than my 178 titanium Enforcers) in the mix as your custom one ski quiver depending on the geometry that best suits your skiing style. Sounds like you’re looking for a more modern and pivoty ski than a Freeride, so it’s a shame there isn’t a tweener size on the MVP that isn’t more suited to aggressive shorties ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    For 135 lbs and aggressive ex-racer, the flex, core and length sounds right ... I’m 5’ 8” 135 lbs and my 182 GPOs are 3 flex, enduro veneer, and they feel perfect for me when skiing aggressively ... but I never raced and have shit form so 3+ could also suit you well. Heavy hitter core will really help settle the skis on those long beat up cold drought spells before it gets warm enough each day to soften things up.

Speaking of long, beat up drought spells, they happen more frequently than the legendary storms that drop 8-10 feet in 3 days. Given that, for only having a single ski you might consider 106-110 underfoot for your daily driver because at your weight (as I know well) a 106 waisted ski can still have great fun on a thigh deep day and more importantly it can handle regularly skiing beat up crust with less wear on the ankles.

I know the Praxis 116-waist skis all handle firm snow very well, but maybe I’m just getting old to the point where I’m not sure I could ski that width every day when conditions are truly wretched. The good news is that drought conditions in Tahoe also tend to go along with overall warm temps, so at some point something southeast facing will soften and 116 skis will be fun, its more when you get a 2-week cold snap with no snow (after a warm dry spell), and then things can be awful for a bit.

I’d throw skinny Concept (but it would end up slightly shorter at 176 cm), skinny RX (would end up at 178 cm), or 180 BC (it skis really short, definitely feels shorter than my 178 titanium Enforcers) in the mix as your custom one ski quiver depending on the geometry that best suits your skiing style. Sounds like you’re looking for a more modern and pivoty ski than a Freeride, so it’s a shame there isn’t a tweener size on the MVP that isn’t more suited to aggressive shorties ...
    Thanks for all that info! I was also considering the RX and Freeride but was leaning towards the shape of the concept. The BC looks intriguing, is it a good inbounds ski with a heavier core? I'm aware of the low tide spells and thinking about it more I'll probably hold on to my pair of GS skis for those in which case "Quiver of One" was probably a bit misleading. I have a pair of 108mm waisted skis (Faction Candide 3.0) which do okay on hardpack but are just too short for after I move and I'll be getting rid of them. I figured stepping up in waist width would give me something for everything but the worst of days in which case I'll break out the race skis. Unfortunately my skiing will be limited by my work schedule for now which I assumes means lots and lots of tracked out skiing though not necessarily ice all the time.

I'm thinking of getting a custom 177 Concept with #3 Flex and Heavy Hitter core. Is this crazy
    I'm skiing a 2012/13 vanilla version of the Concept, which, I seem to recall were then defaulting to #3 flex. I think that you'd be hard pressed to find a better (semi-)one-ski (in-area) quiver. (I am 5'-7", 170lbs.) It's by far the most versatile, confidence-inspiring ski I've ever owned. Be aware, though: They're heavy, though my edition precedes use of the newer, lighter MAP cores, so maybe what the heavy-hitter option does is take you back to the old default ski core. I think part of what I like so much about those skis is how damped the ride is, so if I were scoring another pair, I'd be sure to ask Keith about this before I pulled the trigger.

Good luck!

john