Page 46 of 121 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Id guess its probably the flex. Mvp is 4 and protest 3. Mvp is a playful design and looks like the new one is even more so. Might need to be softened to a 3 for more playful bias. 4 is definitely more business, depending on your weight i guess

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Hmm, well the Protest is a 4 flex as well. Maybe its the weight of the ski. Maybe I just need to wait a little longer for the veneer to be broken in on the MVPs

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Hmm, well the Protest is a 4 flex as well. Maybe its the weight of the ski. Maybe I just need to wait a little longer for the veneer to be broken in on the MVPs
    I hope so. Entirely possible with the veneer. I think there is a break in period. 4 flex veneer i had seemed a bit stiff then after a couple weeks amazing. Same with the neighbor. My 3 flex veneer touring ski right away felt super ez to ski

Praxis skis are notorious for having finicky tuning issues. Get a full tune, and then re-evaluate. Check the base edge angle and base flatness.

I had a pair of 187 MVPs in flex 3/4 with carbon layup, and sold them because I just didn't like them. Too stiff and slashy - had to be fully on it at all times. I know others dig them, but I didn't. You might not either. But try the tune first.

I liked my 190 BCs quite a bit. But my Protests are cold-dead-hands status. Love them.
    sproing!

Or better yet, just check the tune (which is likely to be great these days) and then detune accordingly.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Not sure if this was already posted, but Keith’s starting custom ski pricing at $499 this April. Get your credit cards ready...

I see a pair of CCR Quixotes in my future.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

I already have a brand new pair of Sth 16s waiting for my custom GPOs in heavy hitter and Kracken wood top sheet when the pre-sale hits...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Not sure if this was already posted, but Keith’s starting custom ski pricing at $499 this April. Get your credit cards ready...
    oh my!
    Aggressive in my own mind

I’m just going to keep beating the drum.

191 Praxis Pm gear kusala!

So my 179 custom Wootests are for going up for sale, if anyone’s interested. Haven’t made the post yet but $450 + ship. Details to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    So my 179 custom Wootests are for going up for sale, if anyone’s interested. Haven’t made the post yet but $450 + ship. Details to follow.
    Thought you loved those... ?

i wonder if the kid-woo might be woo'ed into buying those
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Thought you loved those... ?
    I do love them a lot in pow, but they're pretty funky in 2d stuff like packed down exits, and I'm not really a "ski emma ridge and upper days fork only when it snows" kinda dude. I got a 2-3 ski touring quiver and they're all gonna see 40+ days, I want to be able to space out and cruise down the exits, not worry about my skis split braining. Kinda wish I went 187 GPO, but live and learn. I am having a midlife ski touring crisis it seems, got rid of my boots too, and the sale of these will help compensate for my expensive new boots / skis... ironically it was these skis that convinced me to get beefier boots (ZGTP), which in turn convinced me to get heavier skis...

May as well put these here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wootests-1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	803.7 KB 
ID:	320112

Name:	wootests-2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	717.5 KB 
ID:	320113

Name:	wootest-base-1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	320114

Name:	wootest-base-2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	320115

Name:	wootest-mid-1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	320116

Name:	wootest-base-tips.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	320117

Name:	wootest-mid-2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	320118

Name:	wootest-tails.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	320119

Due to my meticulous record keeping I can tell you they have been skied 18 days and 72061' of vertical, bc only (though those numbers may go up if these sit around unsold ). They're in great shape. 1 mount on the line for ATK Trofeo plus, bindings NOT included and also not for sale.

e: they are 179cm, #3 flex, UL/carbon core, maple veneer, cubes topsheet and they weighed around ~1650g/ski on my scale before mount (my scale batteries died so idk at the moment what they weigh)
    Last edited by mall walker; 03-13-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post

As bitchen as that sounds, not sure it’s plausible. Don’t think there ever was a Kusala in 191, could be wrong. So that would mean a complete engineering of the shape, new press plus a good season skiing the shape/‘s/flex to make sure its dialed. If I’m wrong, then bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Here they are...MVP +10, longer, more gentle rocker in the tip than standard MVP, flat underfoot, flex 3, UL core. Coming in right at 2000g per ski. Should be fun.
    Attachment 313503
    Attachment 313504
    Attachment 313506
    Attachment 313508
    Have you been out on these yet? What's the verdict?

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Sooooo hawt, I want to know as well, bad! A comparison between the playfulness of these guys and the current iteration would be exceptionally useful!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

^^ hook up an update!! Been dreaming of these sticks

Thought I'd post a bit of stoke in these uncertain times. On Grinch's recommendation, I ended up buying a pair of 190 Praxis BCs at the start of the season for my touring rig, when I saw the killer deals that were on (USD 600 for the pair, including tax and shipping). After talking with Keith and given my concern that the standard #3 flex might not be quite enough for my build (6'4, 210 lbs), Keith spontaneously offered to beef up the flex to a #4 free of charge! I mounted the skis with a pair of shifts.

I've now skied this setup for ~ 10 days and have been very satisfied. Initially skied inbounds on the very firm early season conditions we had in the PNW, and was very pleasantly suprised with how well those skis carve groomers. I've now skied them on a variety of conditions (powder, refrozen crap) and really like the feel of the ski. A very good mixture of fun, predictable and confidence inspiring. The only place we're they're not so fun are big, firmed up moguls, but that's to be expected with this type/size of ski (and I'm sure that the stock #3 flex would handle those better).

It's exactly the kind of ski that I want to be on touring, when I'll most likely encounter pretty much every conditions. So much so, that I convinced my partner to get a pair of stock 160s, which she's paired up with some vipecs (again, on Grinch's recommendation). Matching photos below, and bonus photos of our ski quiver as seen from the car on our road trip through Montana/Wyoming.

Shout out to Grinch (aka the Praxis salesman) and the Praxis crew. Now thinking about a GPO when the custom sale hits, as I've not been enjoying my newly acquired BGs as much as I thought I would (I find them a little too much work to throw sideways, despite what I'm reading on this forum).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	961.4 KB 
ID:	321528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	469.1 KB 
ID:	321530  

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Thought I'd post a bit of stoke in these uncertain times. On Grinch's recommendation, I ended up buying a pair of 190 Praxis BCs at the start of the season for my touring rig, when I saw the killer deals that were on (USD 600 for the pair, including tax and shipping). After talking with Keith and given my concern that the standard #3 flex might not be quite enough for my build (6'4, 210 lbs), Keith spontaneously offered to beef up the flex to a #4 free of charge! I mounted the skis with a pair of shifts.

I've now skied this setup for ~ 10 days and have been very satisfied. Initially skied inbounds on the very firm early season conditions we had in the PNW, and was very pleasantly suprised with how well those skis carve groomers. I've now skied them on a variety of conditions (powder, refrozen crap) and really like the feel of the ski. A very good mixture of fun, predictable and confidence inspiring. The only place we're they're not so fun are big, firmed up moguls, but that's to be expected with this type/size of ski (and I'm sure that the stock #3 flex would handle those better).

It's exactly the kind of ski that I want to be on touring, when I'll most likely encounter pretty much every conditions. So much so, that I convinced my partner to get a pair of stock 160s, which she's paired up with some vipecs (again, on Grinch's recommendation). Matching photos below, and bonus photos of our ski quiver as seen from the car on our road trip through Montana/Wyoming.

Shout out to Grinch (aka the Praxis salesman) and the Praxis crew. Now thinking about a GPO when the custom sale hits, as I've not been enjoying my newly acquired BGs as much as I thought I would (I find them a little too much work to throw sideways, despite what I'm reading on this forum).
    GPOs will swivel more easily than BGs, and apart from manky, deflecto snow (where there's nothing like a Goat), the GPOs are more versatile.

The asym. on BGs (and Quixotes) may not be your cup o' tea. At a demo, the asym. BGs behaved similarly to my Quixotes (which I sold). Lots of folks love them, but they're not for me. I chased down a pair of 2014 BGs, BTW.

I have too many skis in the 11x width (the Billys, 2 pr. GPOs and some Down CD 114s as well).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Glad the bc's are working out pttp. Was hoping the bg's would likewise. Absolutely love mine. I echo Thoms^^ thoughts. Gpo does pivot a bit quicker. Im thinking a heavy hitter core and veneer would put it close to zero deflection like a bg and not give away the carvability, precision and that little extra pivotability. Kind of considering a skinny gpo/heavy hitter core/veneer to go with my bg and stock gpo. Just a thought but maybe you noticed a recent post in the on3p thread? A guy is digging his bg's forward of recommended. 2 pairs and he has one at +1 and another at +1.5 . Like i had said to you, i like mine at +.5 and could totally see liking them at +1. Id want to try +1 before i could consider trying or recommending +1.5 though. I saw his post and thought "fuck ya". Still id want to go baby steps so not to f with the res. BG thread drift though. His and her bc's look great

I have 192 GPOs in flex 5 and nylon top sheet. They do not deflect in PNW mank. But they are heavy - like me

My description was probably off. I should have said that my stock gpo isnt really deflecting that much but maybe a tiny bit is only noticeable because its such a precise ski. Scalpel like. BG has zero deflection. Theyre both capable through the chop and excel in it to a degree and maybe close enough that a heavy hitter core and/or veneer would make them a wash in that category. All theory though

Well, the custom sale pricing makes it a lot easier to pass up this Spring, but primarily due to economic uncertainty. This is fair pricing on phenomenal builds with more choices as well, but just too rich for my blood at the moment. Compare this against a BD Helio 115 which would set you back an additional $50 over my dream GPOs.

My dream GPOs (UL/Carbon/Veneer/flex #3) would set me back $799. I don't see a UL option without carbon, but I'm guessing that's possible.

https://www.praxisskis.com/custom-order-skis/

The mod levels are a bit confusing and cause a lot of extra clicking, but the "most difficult" adds multiple rocker choices which is cool to see back.

• Easiest: Allows Flex change (plus or minus one number), add veneer for $150, and choose your graphics
    • More Difficult: Expands core choices, and allows for all 5 flexes
    • Most Difficult: add multiple rocker/mold choices (CCR, full camber, etc.) for $150, and +10/-10 width change. For this level, you're adding $100 to "more difficult" pricing and you a get "free" width change (use it or lose it). So, if you want CCR in any width (including standard), you pay $250 over the "more difficult" pricing.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I wish he would add a +/- 5mm option versus just +/- 10mm. Piste Jib at a 104mm could be a sweet option.

Plus, if you just want to add veneer to a Protest, $650 is a pretty sweet deal.