Page 79 of 90 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2248
  1. #1951
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    13,007
    Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I'll throw this out there. I have 192 #4 Protests and if I could do it over I'd go back to 187s. Mine are those red transparent over olive ash veneer beasts I've posted up before.
    If anyone starts thinking about order a 192 in a #4 flex, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse!
    i remember those beauties now. Post a pic and i bet theyre gone! Paging @powder to the people

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  2. #1952
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,346
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Haaa, whose the bad influence!? Every convo i think of a new ski "i" want. So confused, isnt it the ullr thats the fatter gpo like ski and the bps with the funky camber? I guess for the light fat touring option the crc(or crr or ccr/whatever its called)camber option, if possible, would work in the tighter trees along with the extra width

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah, I suppose I'm worse ;-)

    CCR ... dang. Do I take the red pill?

    The Ullr seems to be the closest to a fat GPO and the slight bump to 23m radius is real close to what I've found my sweet spot to be (24). Slight variances in camber contact and effective edge.

    I might as well re-post the composite chart I compiled again ... for convenience (redundancy?) sake ... I corrected the +10 lenghs. I had erroneously added 2cm instead of 1cm.



    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-07-2021 at 01:08 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  3. #1953
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    13,007
    Good comparison chart. For me frs is out, too jibby. Rx out , superior designs on the fat gpo and ullr. I like the tapers on the gpo and ullr over the bps. Ullr with ccr, ul, veneer would be pretty damn cool or wven just knocked down to 2mm camber, especially if rhat extends the rockers a touch. No surprises. Little bit of stability gained keeping it at 2mm camber and still pivotable especially at that width. Long tapers will keep it tracking ez in the funk(wind pressed or light crusts). For me if it came in a 180 thatd be hard to resist. Maybe even wnduro core to have inserts for a pin tech and a cast/pindung 50/50

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  4. #1954
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    F'n Midwest again
    Posts
    2,324
    Interesting difference in camber contact (which relates to how much tip + tail rocker) between the Ullr and GPO.

    Since the Ullr has less rocker, or more camber contact than the GPO, it might ski "longer" than a GPO +10.

    Since my ideal length for in-bounds/sidecountry ski is an 182 GPO, I would either do a 182 GPO+10 or a 175 Ullr.

    Standard width GPO in 175 cm in UL core has worked for me as a soft snow touring ski (low weight is at a premium so I'll take come tradeoff in flex/length).
    Aggressive in my own mind

  5. #1955
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    tahoe de chingao
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Anyone been on a CCR Protest? Also, anyone have a weight on the 187 UL Protests?
    i'ma go with approximately "not all that light but totally worth it" grams

    and i'm pretty sure tuco had a pair of protest protos w/ reverse camber that looked *sexy*

    if you want to lock in the weight i'll sell you some 1900g bmt 122's in 186 and order the 'tests my self...

  6. #1956
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,399
    My 187 carbon/MAP Protests (2015/16) are 2065g/ski. Dunno about how much lighter a UL (+veneer?) would be.

    2448 with Alpinists. (Alpinists were my only feasible choice due to swiss-cheesing holes.)

    I go on and on about how much I love touring in my Protests...any day on a Protests is a good day!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210318_034228799 (2).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	370726

    If I could do a custom Protest, I would do a 192 MAP/carbon/veneer, and put some ATKs on there. Or maybe Tectons. But my buddy loves his 192 UL Protests.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210318_034228799 (1).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	370725  
    sproing!

  7. #1957
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,346
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Good comparison chart. For me frs is out, too jibby. Rx out , superior designs on the fat gpo and ullr. I like the tapers on the gpo and ullr over the bps. Ullr with ccr, ul, veneer would be pretty damn cool or wven just knocked down to 2mm camber, especially if rhat extends the rockers a touch. No surprises. Little bit of stability gained keeping it at 2mm camber and still pivotable especially at that width. Long tapers will keep it tracking ez in the funk(wind pressed or light crusts). For me if it came in a 180 thatd be hard to resist. Maybe even wnduro core to have inserts for a pin tech and a cast/pindung 50/50

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Tip/tail taper: GPO & BPS are closer to each other. So ... a longer tip taper would mean a bit less abrupt and less deflection prone? That was my guess, and I think you're saying that.

    Ullr has the longest tip taper. Sounds like we're "on" to something ;-)

    I can also see inserts to decide on CAST vs. light touring binding - not on a daily basis, of course, but to see where they fit in the whole scheme. My insert strategy is also based on playing with the ski to decide it's best application (not as a daily swap tool).

    Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    Interesting difference in camber contact (which relates to how much tip + tail rocker) between the Ullr and GPO.

    Since the Ullr has less rocker, or more camber contact than the GPO, it might ski "longer" than a GPO +10.

    Since my ideal length for in-bounds/sidecountry ski is an 182 GPO, I would either do a 182 GPO+10 or a 175 Ullr.

    Standard width GPO in 175 cm in UL core has worked for me as a soft snow touring ski (low weight is at a premium so I'll take come tradeoff in flex/length).
    Definitely a bit to chew on, and those camber contact vs. sidecut vs. effective edge numbers jumped out at me as well. I'm not quite sure what to make of them in combination.

    @grinch's comment in conjunction with yours about longer camber contact in the Ullr ... it makes sense to consider dropping the camber a bit to compensate for longer contact length (Ullr).

    Perhaps instead, going "Tabke" (Hakuba with his FRS) and dropping down to a flex #2?

    Yup ... 182 is my sweet spot in terms of maneuverability vs. speed limit. A +10, 182 GPO is 183cm - "only" 2cm shorter than a 185 Ullr. If I keep this reasoning up ("turtles, all the way down"), I'll be up to 193cm in no time

    I keep telling myself that I'll be fine with 185 Ullrs, but maybe I'm fooling myself ... or maybe I just need to flatten the camber a bit. I'm guessing that I have a month to obsess and count all of the angels on the head of this pin ;-)

    The Ullr is a surf-inspired design featuring a spoon-shaped, reverse sidecut tip, allowing it to slash in a variety of conditions but perform exceptionally well in deep powder.
    He's talking about the profile (i.e. RES-like), and not a convex base under the tip area. Yes?

    It'll be interesting to see what Keith has to say (in the context of my question, of course), and I'll report back.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  8. #1958
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    112
    Out of interest, has the Quixote lost the interest of the Praxis cognoscenti, or to put it another way, has it jumped the shark?

  9. #1959
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,351

    2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

    Yo Thom, a flat cambered Ullr sounds fuckin sweet to me! Just my 2 cents...
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

  10. #1960
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    I can measure my 175ís when I get home and post up that info
    You're about the only person in this thread that skis these this short---besides me.

    I picked up a pair last spring, plain vanilla stock, and mounted them with NTN Freedoms on the line. I like a little flexibility in the tails, and these things are a bit stiff for me in that department. But they're great, nimble turners that ski short even for a shorter ski. If I were to put another pair of tele bindings on these things, I'd mount them at -2cm; I'd also go one level softer to help with the forgiveness with the whole feet shuffling thing.

    I broke a binding on another ski and moved the tele bindings from these and replaced them with some Wardens mounted a -1cm. The goal is to have a great, easy turner to learn how to do fixed-heel skiing on. Wish me luck...

    cheers,
    john

  11. #1961
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    F'n Midwest again
    Posts
    2,324
    haha ^^^

    with age comes wisdom?

    I mounted dynafit vertical ft12's which have a significant ramp angle.

    I mounted at -1 cm and had too much tip dive (test ski day at the resort)

    I then installed a 6 mm B&D shim and now I can drive my skis, no problem, even at 5'8" and 185 lbs.

    Mine are flex 3 UL's
    Aggressive in my own mind

  12. #1962
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    Mine are flex 3 UL's
    I don't even know what the stock stiffness was last year. I'm guessing a flex 3.

    With this year's spring sale on, I'm thinking of maybe getting these in an UL and maybe asking Keith about the tail stiffness business, then mounting those with some Meidjos or Lynx to use as low-angle powder farmers on shorter tours.

    I am 5' 7", 175lbs, so pretty much the same body type as yours.

    cheers,
    john

  13. #1963
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    monument
    Posts
    5,994
    Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    I had a falling out a couple years ago, and I remember a few people thought I got mad at Praxis?? Although I was mad at a few different things, mag members, other brands, etc..Praxis was NOT one of them. Definitely not. I think some people got confused because I sold all my Praxis at that point, simply because I sold all my skis and got away from skiing for a couple years.

    I don't think anyone really cares, I just wanted to clarify that. At no point have I ever not loved Praxis.

    Thinking about a custom order as we speak.
    Good to see you back.
    Pretty sure I have your old 192 Protests, with the Bubinga-Baby! veneer.

    Stunning.

  14. #1964
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    F'n Midwest again
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by jrredho View Post
    I don't even know what the stock stiffness was last year. I'm guessing a flex 3.

    With this year's spring sale on, I'm thinking of maybe getting these in an UL and maybe asking Keith about the tail stiffness business, then mounting those with some Meidjos or Lynx to use as low-angle powder farmers on shorter tours.

    I am 5' 7", 175lbs, so pretty much the same body type as yours.

    cheers,
    john
    sent you a pm with some info from my 2014 order.
    Aggressive in my own mind

  15. #1965
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Dirty E
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    Out of interest, has the Quixote lost the interest of the Praxis cognoscenti, or to put it another way, has it jumped the shark?
    I'm eyeballing doing a skinny-Q in the same kindof vein as flyingskiguy with the multiple camber locations. It just seems so...clever and fun.

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...52#post6205552

    edit: not CCR, the double camber pod thing
    Last edited by cstefanic; 04-08-2021 at 04:35 PM.

  16. #1966
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,346
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Yo Thom, a flat cambered Ullr sounds fuckin sweet to me! Just my 2 cents...
    Seems as if it could be a great mid-ground between "full" camber and CCR. Better grip on the skin track, too (than CCR).

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  17. #1967
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,346
    Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    Out of interest, has the Quixote lost the interest of the Praxis cognoscenti, or to put it another way, has it jumped the shark?
    Still seems like a lot of love for these skis, and I can see why. The folks who have unconditional love for them seem to naturally have a centered (Tabke) stance.

    I don't, and I found that I absolutely loved mine 95% of the time. It was that 5% got to me however, 'coz of my natural center-forward stance. A few pages up (or maybe in the Quixote thread), I described the dust over crust conditions that were my undoing.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  18. #1968
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Other Side
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Still seems like a lot of love for these skis, and I can see why. The folks who have unconditional love for them seem to naturally have a centered (Tabke) stance.

    I don't, and I found that I absolutely loved mine 95% of the time. It was that 5% got to me however, 'coz of my natural center-forward stance. A few pages up (or maybe in the Quixote thread), I described the dust over crust conditions that were my undoing.

    ... Thom
    I have pretty much unconditional love for mine 182, HH, Carbon, Veneer 3+. I own the GPO, Concept, and Protest, and its my favorite of them all. I definitely had one or two "OMFG I am about to eat shit and die and I don't know why" the first few times I had them out. But it hasn't happened in 2 seasons. Now I'm so addicted to the frictionless turn experience they offer, everything about being on these skis is just so intuitive to me.



    I too have a -1 Q in the basket right now because n+1. I am absolutely intrigued about the possibility of going compound camber but given how much I love the current profile, not sure why I'd do it, other than to try something new, and the fact the Concept is my second favorite of the bunch.

  19. #1969
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    Out of interest, has the Quixote lost the interest of the Praxis cognoscenti, or to put it another way, has it jumped the shark?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    I have pretty much unconditional love for mine 182, HH, Carbon, Veneer 3+. I own the GPO, Concept, and Protest, and its my favorite of them all. I definitely had one or two "OMFG I am about to eat shit and die and I don't know why" the first few times I had them out. But it hasn't happened in 2 seasons. Now I'm so addicted to the frictionless turn experience they offer, everything about being on these skis is just so intuitive to me.



    I too have a -1 Q in the basket right now because n+1. I am absolutely intrigued about the possibility of going compound camber but given how much I love the current profile, not sure why I'd do it, other than to try something new, and the fact the Concept is my second favorite of the bunch.
    Spent most of the season on my - 1 Quixote. 182, heavy core, no carbon or veneer. I am a huge fan of the shape and camber profile. Never had any weird hooking or issues. I didn't even detune them at all.

    They feel loose and pivot easily when you want them too. But they really impressed me with the ability to lock into a turn on edge in soft groomers. The heavy hitter core is really good for high speed firm or chopped snow. I will never get a praxis ski for inbounds skiing without it again.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

  20. #1970
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    1,259
    Sad about the MVP change, wish I got a pair last year.
    Iím always on the fence for the FRS, I just feel like a 194 enduro will feel too light and a 194 HH a bit cumbersome, guess there is only one way to find out.

    Oh and Iím totally getting a -1 powboard in HH. Spats reborn

  21. #1971
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post

    Oh and Iím totally getting a -1 powboard in HH. Spats reborn
    I was just thinking about going this route for my BC pow ski instead of a Protest...anyone skied a -1 PB?

  22. #1972
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Sad about the MVP change, wish I got a pair last year.
    Iím backing this ski, ordered my 188 MVP 108 today. 188, maple veneer, enduro core, ďWiseĒ graphics (tail only). Stoked!

    Name:  IMG_1498.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  99.6 KB

  23. #1973
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    sent you a pm with some info from my 2014 order.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to do that!

    I'll relay that information to Keith when get a chance to chat with him.

    cheers,
    john

  24. #1974
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Spent most of the season on my - 1 Quixote. 182, heavy core, no carbon or veneer. I am a huge fan of the shape and camber profile. Never had any weird hooking or issues. I didn't even detune them at all.

    They feel loose and pivot easily when you want them too. But they really impressed me with the ability to lock into a turn on edge in soft groomers. The heavy hitter core is really good for high speed firm or chopped snow. I will never get a praxis ski for inbounds skiing without it again.
    Do you find the Q does better with a centered stance or driving the ski? How playful would you say the Q is?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brundo; 04-07-2021 at 08:46 PM.

  25. #1975
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    Out of interest, has the Quixote lost the interest of the Praxis cognoscenti, or to put it another way, has it jumped the shark?
    For this beater, the Quixote is my cold dead hands ski. While 118 is a but wider than needed for a lot of conditions, it's capable in anything remotely soft. Blasts crud and chop, is fantastic in warm spring corn and deep slush, loose enough in powder, and can rip groomers that are anything other than ice. The width and size does make them more work in bumped up terrain or hardpack, but I'd I was forced to take one ski on a trip where I expected soft or deep snow but needed it to work on the other shittier days too,this is the one. I had one odd feeling from the asym out of. all the days I've used these so it's a non issue to me. Way less than I had with the OG Protest occasionally wanting to do splits on the groomer run-outs

    I wonder how the shape would do in a -5 or -10 as a more versatile travel ski. I remember Keith saying something about how when the width went down the benefits of the asym were less pronounced. Personally I love the asym as they still feel loose in deeper 3D snow , but the longer inside edge makes them rip soft groomers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •