Page 44 of 121 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Any of you using the GPO as a resort daily driver? Looking for something that can be playful, doesn't mind cruising groomers with little ones, but will perform in the pow and chopped up snow. Trying to decide if 116 underfoot is a little unwieldy for this sort of use but found a good deal on one so any thoughts are appreciated.
    I can wiggle my 182 GPOs pretty quickly in tight going (5'9", 165#). Yeah, they're not as quick as a narrower ski, but surprisingly quicker than you'd expect.

A couple of Springs ago, I was doing an inbounds comparison between the GPOs and a pair of 177 Volkl Nanuqs (95mm). The only thing the Nanuqs had on the GPOs was a weight advantage (for touring). The GPOs did everything better. They were more nimble, handled crap snow much better, were about the same on hard snow, etc.

I'll get some photos up of some litter mates I just mounted - companions to my 182, MAP/Carbon/Nylon top/flex 4's (mounted for touring) ... a pair of 182s (Enduro/Veneer/flex #4) with Vipecs. The only reason I didn't put something like Wardens or Aaatack ATs on them is that I already have some MNC binders mounted to some Down CD 114s, so I can beat the crap out of them during low(er) tide.

I'm pretty comfortable with Vipecs inbounds and this gives me a sidecountry/travel option. If I need a bit more burliness, I can always swap Tectons into the same holes, but I doubt I'll be compelled to do so.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

GPOs are amazing for how well they ski groomers. Just the right amount of effective edge in my opinion.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

I still think gpo's are the best one ski quiver. They do everything really well. Noodling around with the kids will be more pivoting than bending the ski with a gpo but they can go sideways in an instant. I find that trait beneficial on super tight exit trails from the sidecountry or bc as well. Me 5"7' 170 @-1 on a 182

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Cool, thanks all. The seller "doesn't feel comfortable" shipping the skis from Redding so might not snag 'em after all but will keep my eyes peeled. Tempted on the 187 MVPs in GS but think they might require a little too much driver input on those lazy days with the kids with the #4 flex. I had a pair about 5 years ago but honestly I can't really remember how they felt...could've been all the spliffs and not necessarily the ski though...

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Cool, thanks all. The seller "doesn't feel comfortable" shipping the skis from Redding so might not snag 'em after all but will keep my eyes peeled. Tempted on the 187 MVPs in GS but think they might require a little too much driver input on those lazy days with the kids with the #4 flex. I had a pair about 5 years ago but honestly I can't really remember how they felt...could've been all the spliffs and not necessarily the ski though...
    Are you looking for 187 gpo's. Not sure if theyre still for sale but Thom has/had some veneers at a very nice price

Ya I saw those but didn’t pull the trigger quick enough. Thanks for the heads up though!

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Are you looking for 187 gpo's. Not sure if theyre still for sale but Thom has/had some veneers at a very nice price

I'm meeting with their new owner tomorrow to drop them off. There's always a possibility of buyer's remorse.

The fellow is looking for something maybe 1 click more laid back than his 190 Bibby Pros.

He's finishing a 1 month road trip and by Friday, he may not know if he's bonded with them or not.

His season ends at that point, but if they clearly don't work for him, it might benefit both of you to get together.

Shoot me a PM if you want to be on a wait list. There's one other fellow ahead of you, but he needs to sell gear, so I suspect you're #1.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Just got back from a week in Hokkaido. They're having a rough year, but damn did we get lucky last week. 6 days with near-constant snowfall, capped with 2 days of cat skiing.

I went a little nuts on the gear shopping last Fall, including both 188 Protests and 180 BCs. Last week, I got in 4 days of inbounds and sidecountry, 3 days skinning and 2 days cat skiing, all in the greater Niseko area. I was on the Protests for 1 of the cat days and 2 in the sidecountry, and the BCs for the rest.

On the Cat Ski days in particular, I used the Protests on our first day (here's one run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kotBVvNzwA ). It was a pretty tiring day and I was surprised at how tough it was. I'm not entirely sure if my technique was fatiguing me, or what, but the effort-to-stoke ratio was not what I expected.

So on the second cat day, I used the BCs and was super surprised by how awesome it was (here's the first run of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEaZ2_0aCHE for an example of how the BCs performed in ~ 2 feet of freshies). I think I got heaps more maneuverability and only sacrificed a small amount (maybe 20%) of float.

Maybe it was just the crazy-light Hokkaido powder, maybe it was the length differential (188s vs 180s). Maybe if I was in heavy snow, the Protests would have stood head-and-shoulders above the BCs. I'm curious what other folks who have used both skis think about it.

I like my bc's on the dimple and my protests at -1.5. I found the protests too much work to keep the tips up on the dimple. Not sure if that might be a consideration for your mounts

Ha, I took 188 ProTests and 180 BCs to Hokkaido. This was 2015. Both skis were also new to me at the time. I enjoyed the ProTests there, but I can also report that I've only skied them a handful of times since then, whereas I've put something like 150 days and counting on my BCs. I guess the proof is in the pudding on that one. Backcountries are really, really capable. I'd second the maneuverability. No shame in skiing, or preferring, something that's "only" 106 on a pow day. I personally never feel like I *need* to be on ProTests anymore.

You suggest ProTests might be better if the snow is heavier, but I have found just the opposite. For me, skiing them in heavy maritime snow is too much work. Too much unexpected torque from having so much girth out there.

I've also skied them at -6 and -8, and much preferred -8. -6 did not work for me, so I'll second the mount considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'm pretty comfortable with Vipecs inbounds and this gives me a sidecountry/travel option. If I need a bit more burliness, I can always swap Tectons into the same holes, but I doubt I'll be compelled to do so.

... Thom
    Thread drift, but can you feel the difference skiing between the Vipec and Tecton? I’m leaning towards Tecton for my Lhasa’s.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It looks as if the new owner of my 187 GPOs may not be getting on with them.

He's particularly challenged by a fused ankle, and I fabricated a 12mm toe shim for him.

He normally mounts demo bindings and fiddles with mount point to get his left and right ski behaving the same, but isn't sure he wants to drill extra holes in them.

Another of my "wait list" folks is in contact with him, but if they don't work something out, they may come available.

His user name is Red7. Good guy.

Oh yeah, the downsizing to 182s (also with veneer) is just what the doctor ordered. Way calmer than my MAP/Carbon/Nylon GPOs.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Thread drift, but can you feel the difference skiing between the Vipec and Tecton? I’m leaning towards Tecton for my Lhasa’s.
    I'd love to try Tectons. Maybe I can steal his heels for a day. If I recall, you can use them on a Vipec track, so there's no remounting - gotta scour through the Tecton thread to verify.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I'd love to try Tectons. Maybe I can steal his heels for a day. If I recall, you can use them on a Vipec track, so there's no remounting - gotta scour through the Tecton thread to verify.

... Thom
    Sorry, the way I read your post, I thought you had both.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Love every aspect of my new Tectons, mounted on 183 MVP's. The toe engagement is just awesome and skiing resort groomers to bumps rules. Touring is easy though heavier than Trab style, but I am more concerned about the down and can slide the extra weight on the track.
    Only oddity is releasing, I release the toes with a pole and then step on the heels to reset. Second nature now.

And this second pair of 183 MVP's rock, just like the first ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191221_193900.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	883.3 KB 
ID:	315328
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^^^ those are sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Sorry, the way I read your post, I thought you had both.
    I didn't think you were asking me. I was idly musing about the easiest way to find out ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    ^^^ those are sweet!
    MVO - Most Valuable Octopus ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I didn't think you were asking me. I was idly musing about the easiest way to find out ;-)

MVO - Most Valuable Octopus ;-)

... Thom
    Wow. Gorgeous skis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks all. Officially the Kraken graphic on the Praxis website over quarter sawn birch veneer.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Gate11 View Post
    Just got back from a week in Hokkaido. They're having a rough year, but damn did we get lucky last week. 6 days with near-constant snowfall, capped with 2 days of cat skiing.

I went a little nuts on the gear shopping last Fall, including both 188 Protests and 180 BCs. Last week, I got in 4 days of inbounds and sidecountry, 3 days skinning and 2 days cat skiing, all in the greater Niseko area. I was on the Protests for 1 of the cat days and 2 in the sidecountry, and the BCs for the rest.

On the Cat Ski days in particular, I used the Protests on our first day (here's one run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kotBVvNzwA ). It was a pretty tiring day and I was surprised at how tough it was. I'm not entirely sure if my technique was fatiguing me, or what, but the effort-to-stoke ratio was not what I expected.

So on the second cat day, I used the BCs and was super surprised by how awesome it was (here's the first run of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEaZ2_0aCHE for an example of how the BCs performed in ~ 2 feet of freshies). I think I got heaps more maneuverability and only sacrificed a small amount (maybe 20%) of float.

Maybe it was just the crazy-light Hokkaido powder, maybe it was the length differential (188s vs 180s). Maybe if I was in heavy snow, the Protests would have stood head-and-shoulders above the BCs. I'm curious what other folks who have used both skis think about it.
    I find skiing "odd" skis in my quiver, Praxis Powderboards, Bamboo 120 Lotus, MV5 Geant, ect to take a run to adjust my head. Maybe spend more time on the Protests before your next trip.

A hundred + days on these 180's EC in all conditions they still deliver. Just a really well designed ski.

Name:	20200209_170948.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	875.7 KB 
ID:	315336
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Love every aspect of my new Tectons, mounted on 183 MVP's. The toe engagement is just awesome and skiing resort groomers to bumps rules. Touring is easy though heavier than Trab style, but I am more concerned about the down and can slide the extra weight on the track.
    Only oddity is releasing, I release the toes with a pole and then step on the heels to reset. Second nature now.

I've got the same, but different. Really digging those new octopus graphics. Any tips for skiing mvps? I've had them out one day and they felt pretty planky and more work in the trees than I was expecting

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think the veneers may take a few days to break in? Mine and a friends experience anyway, then its "cant pry them from my cold dead hands" kind of thing

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

VT, your timing could not have been better... I am going to order another pair of my beloved custom 192 GPOs and was going with the top sheet you just received... I looked through this thread as I know someone else ordered the same top sheet and could not find it... That is such a sexy ass looking ski and am going to have to copy you... Nicely done and congrats...!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That Kraken topsheet on veneer is amazing. I have the nylon version on this year's GPO, which I like, but that is amazing looking.

Also, I should add that that GPO is the first Praxis ski I have been on and I love it. Skiing it at Targhee and finding it extremely versatile and fun. Skis trees amazing for a big ski and super fun on storm days and stable on landings (pretty much just straight airs and drops for me.)

I'm still chewing on it, but I'm leaning towards selling my near-new ProTests. 3 days on them, but I don't live within driving-distance of slopes, so these are skis for one big trip a year, and I don't want to wait another year for a second shot at it. If anyone is jumping out of their skin for stock 187 ProTests before end of year, LMK. (301 bsl w Griffon 13s at -0.5)
    Last edited by Gate11; 02-15-2020 at 04:43 PM.