Page 13 of 121 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    This is all very fair, I honestly probably should keep my mount recs to myself. I was more or less just trying to explain that I personally don’t like to feel like I have to get over the shovels when I’m just dicking around, and was just sharing that exp. I do find myself getting closer to Keith’s recommended on pretty much every purchase (my latest, MVP’s, are on the line and they feel $$$). Whereas some skis I’ve mounted behind the line (mostly due to recs here) and for the most part want to move most of those forward from where they are currently mounted. Yeah, these are obviously personal preferences but I’ve read a million posts discussing this point and just thought it’d be worth noting the nuances of a ski where it was mounted. I don’t think disagreeing with the group think here is a bad thing, and I certainly don’t think Keith is trying to be any sort of “mad scientist”. He obviously wants to give people the best experience for their money and that’s where he happens to get the most enjoyment out of that particular ski.
    I appreciate your input eskido, and especially with tele things can get a little different than alpine mounts in some instances. Although any more I just mount the same as a recommended alpine mount most the time. One nice thing about my resort setups is that I have the option to move the binding 1.5cm fore or the same aft from the center location which allows a fair bit of monkeying around without redrilling.

I bowed out on the Quixotes so thinking on those GPOs. They are the stock layup as far as the seller knows, so not sure how that compares to builds by those chiming in on here. I would assume they would be a little on the heavier/damper side in stock form than a touring option at least.

I think all the mount point discussion is interesting. I think it's also funny that people perceive the dot as keith's preference.

When overthinking my protest mount i reached out to get keith's input. he mounts his at +2. given many on here mount back 1 or 2, I went dimple.

If I had to do it again I'd try +1 but definitely wouldn't go back on my protests. Preference and ski style make a lot of the mount point discussion very difficult to parse.

I have to agree here...part of the custom ski is freedom like this. Can’t imagine doing that with an on the rack brand.

Eski, we are saying the same thing. It is personal.

My theory about mounts is if you became an expert skier after about 1996 and have little to no race type instruction, don't know ski areas without terrain parks, you most likely have a style and technique that prefers a forward mount when compared to someone that learned how to ski expert terrain on straight skis or has a racer type background that most likely prefers a rearward mount.

Remember that it was a kinda chicken egg think with mount points, twin tips, switch skiing, and emulation of technique.

I have friends who rip who couldn't ski my equipment and vice versa. It would be really interesting to compile a spreadsheet of preferred mounts for a given ski based on some list of skier criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I think all the mount point discussion is interesting. I think it's also funny that people perceive the dot as keith's preference.
    Guess I worded that wrong, I did know Keith mounts forward, what I meant was Keith’s best educated idea of where most people will get the most enjoyment from a particular model.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

^ Very well said.

I've found I prefer the mounts on the GPO and Q on the line personally in most mixed conditions, but did get more tip dive than I wanted there on the 187 GPO so moved back 1 (mounted w Barons). so far love the Q on the dimple(AAtack 14), hopefully story doesnt repeat itself w tip dive.

Ok so

Year you learned to ski black diamond off piste terrain: 1983
    Race background: yes
    Park backgournd: no

Praxis mounts prefered:

Q: -1.5cm
    Freeride: -1.5cm
    PB: -1.5cm

Has anyone compared the Maple/Ash/paulownia cores to the new Maple/Ash/Aspen cores? Just wondering

Some random comments ...

I agree with @grinch about 3 dimples for reasons he stated.

One thing I'm beginning to get is that if there's a pro skier who's on skis that you're interested in, watch how he stands on them.

While I'm getting the hang of my Qs, I'm coming to realize that they'll never be intuitive to me. Similarly, my Down CD 114s feel as if I did a Vulcan mind-meld with Geo and Simen.

When I watch how Tabke and Bimboes stand on their skis this all makes perfect sense, 'coz I stand on my skis much more like Bimboes than Tabke.

My Qs are mounted at -1 and I still feel as if I have to push my butt back just a bit for them to ski in balance - this, on hardpack & chalk. I think this is important to mention, as a contrasting observation to @eskido. We obviously prefer to stand on skis differently. I didn't go long with them however (he mentioned on the line of going long). BTW, in powder, with the same stance the Qs float very well.

For reference, I like Wrens and Down CD 114s on the line and feel in perfect balance standing on both of them.

From all of this, I'm getting the impression that "my" Praxis is the Rx (somewhere, an Alpy is smiling).

Lastly, I strongly suspect I'll be putting my Qs up for sale in the next week. I'm spending the week in Utah, and this will tell the story (finally).

I'll post it here first, but feel free to PM me to get in line (182, Enduro/Carbon/Maple Veneer, flex #4 with Max topsheet). Yes, they love the fall line and ski quite a bit "longer" than my 182 GPOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It's weird. I think Keith kills it on the order volume with all the custom options (good for business) but I wonder is people would actually end up with a more appropriate ski if the mad scientist shit was minimized.
    I agree!

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-16-2019 at 05:14 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    If you were mounting a pair of MVP's, and you had a choice of aaatack demos and dukes, which would you choose?

i'm thinking of the demos so that I can try moving back and forth a bit to see what i like.

dukes have obvious capabilities, any real downside vs demos?

on the dimple? if the dimple be fine, the need for the demos diminishes vs the dukes.
    I would never mount dukes on anything. But that’s just me. And a few others, I suspect.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I would never mount dukes on anything. But that’s just me. And a few others, I suspect.
    ^^^ My opinion as well - but just an opinion ^^^

I can't stand the stack height, but then again, others don't seem to mind the stilt-like feeling.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-17-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Galibier Design

Frame brinders rob so much energy from a ski. I had a pair of 187 Atomic Autos, 2nd model year. Night and day difference with and without a guardian on it. The ski was alive w/o a frame on it. Last time I used frames

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Frame brinders rob so much energy from a ski. I had a pair of 187 Atomic Autos, 2nd model year. Night and day difference with and without a guardian on it. The ski was alive w/o a frame on it. Last time I used frames
    That's interesting. I never got past the stack height to perceive this.

I was so slow from edge to edge (noticing after a dozen turns) that i knew the binders were coming off that night.

I remember my first moves - skating to the lift and feeling a strain on both of my MCLs.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    If you were mounting a pair of MVP's, and you had a choice of aaatack demos and dukes, which would you choose?

i'm thinking of the demos so that I can try moving back and forth a bit to see what i like.

dukes have obvious capabilities, any real downside vs demos?

on the dimple? if the dimple be fine, the need for the demos diminishes vs the dukes.
    Demos allow you to find your favorite location.

193 MVPs w/3+ flex, mounted -1 from the dimple. They feel quick and easy to change direction in tight-ish trees and heavy, chopped up, skied out junk feels comfortable. 6' 2" 185, like old school mount locations... explosiv, legend pro

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Some random comments ...

I agree with @grinch about 3 dimples for reasons he stated.

One thing I'm beginning to get is that if there's a pro skier who's on skis that you're interested in, watch how he stands on them.

While I'm getting the hang of my Qs, I'm coming to realize that they'll never be intuitive to me. Similarly, my Down CD 114s feel as if I did a Vulcan mind-meld with Geo and Simen.

When I watch how Tabke and Bimboes stand on their skis this all makes perfect sense, 'coz I stand on my skis much more like Bimboes than Tabke.

My Qs are mounted at -1 and I still feel as if I have to push my butt back just a bit for them to ski in balance - this, on hardpack & chalk. I think this is important to mention, as a contrasting observation to @eskido. We obviously prefer to stand on skis differently. I didn't go long with them however (he mentioned on the line of going long). BTW, in powder, with the same stance the Qs float very well.

For reference, I like Wrens and Down CD 114s on the line and feel in perfect balance standing on both of them.

From all of this, I'm getting the impression that "my" Praxis is the Rx (somewhere, an Alpy is smiling).

Lastly, I strongly suspect I'll be putting my Qs up for sale in the next week. I'm spending the week in Utah, and this will tell the story (finally).

I'll post it here first, but feel free to PM me to get in line (182, Enduro/Carbon/Maple Veneer, flex #4 with Max topsheet). Yes, they love the fall line and ski quite a bit "longer" than my 182 GPOs.

I agree!

... Thom
    Was just a thought on the markings . Could use 5 or 6 by the half cm. Our mounts seem relatively similar. I want to try an rx as well. Friend I ski with most often picked up a pair of rx’s that he uses for touring and he real likes them. He can ski on anything at any mount and seemingly make it work but those rx are a fave. His hill ski is a shiro most days FWIW

Had some unexpected finance issues pop up, so I'm selling some skis. Letting go of my 187 Concepts with new Attack 16s, pristine condition, as well as my 188 Protests w/ new Attack 13 Demo bindings. Will post a thread is Gear Swap soon, but if anyone is interested in em PM me.

Any thoughts on the BC vs Yeti? Looking for a spring ski for Tahoe/East Side missions. My daily driver is a Wailer 112 so was leaning toward the Yeti. Also, anyone holding any that they’re willing to part with?

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Any thoughts on the BC vs Yeti? Looking for a spring ski for Tahoe/East Side missions. My daily driver is a Wailer 112 so was leaning toward the Yeti. Also, anyone holding any that they’re willing to part with?
    I picked up a 192 yeti in the spring. So far I enjoy it in the right conditions. Mine is however not stock. I'm a big fan of trying to reduce overlap in the ol quiver so in your situation that's probably the direction id go.

Thank you for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I picked up a 192 yeti in the spring. So far I enjoy it in the right conditions. Mine is however not stock. I'm a big fan of trying to reduce overlap in the ol quiver so in your situation that's probably the direction id go.
    Regarding "not stock". Did you get an UL version? Would you say it prefers to be playful or at speed/carving?

Had a hot day on Protest 192 #4 smashing mashed potatoes. I’m a registered BG fan boy but today (A/B skiing) ProTest won the off piste battle. 7” heavy with wind affected in most areas. Midday once packed down BGs got the nod tho.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	265183

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Had a hot day on Protest 192 #4 smashing mashed potatoes. I’m a registered BG fan boy but today (A/B skiing) ProTest won the off piste battle. 7” heavy with wind affected in most areas. Midday once packed down BGs got the nod tho.

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	265183
    Sick dude! My 4 flex 192 ProTest absolutely killed it today as well. The extra stiffness over my stock 188’s is money. So effortless in pow and they mob chop sooo much better.

Name:	IMG_3882.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	761.3 KB 
ID:	265187

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Sick dude! My 4 flex 192 ProTest absolutely killed it today as well. The extra stiffness over my stock 188’s is money. So effortless in pow and they mob chop sooo much better.

Name:	IMG_3882.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	761.3 KB 
ID:	265187
    Yea buddy! Totally agree. Had #3 and now 4 - much better for my weight and snow quality. Felt stance was money at -2 as well.

Had a rippin day a week ago on RX 4 flex 184s in cold smoke. Great ski for dryer days and or shallow snow usage (in my quiver).

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Regarding "not stock". Did you get an UL version? Would you say it prefers to be playful or at speed/carving?
    UL is stock on the yeti. I went enduro + carbon and veneer. flex 4 mounted on rec. I've only got about 4 days on them and haven't detuned the rocker portions yet. I don't want to give too much feedback yet but first impressions is as follows:

rails hardpack like a champ
    performs adequately in pow for a 94mm ski
    deals with but doesn't love Windfuck
    lots of energy and snap in this build/flex
    preforms surprisingly well as landing gear