Page 49 of 121 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    My $.02: I wouldn't go with a heavy hitter in the bigger Praxis skis. You'll have a lower swing weight with the enduro core and I'd personally take that over the slightly improved crud busting of the heavy hitter core.
    *someone who's never skied 0N3P...*?
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

That being said, Keith's himself doesn't recommend heavy hitter in anything over 110 underfoot...

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking at that GPO to potentially replace my 189 BGs, which I find to be a little too clunky/slow to move around/not very fun for my taste. So perhaps not going heavy hitter might be the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    So...the "Easiest" option (with no veneer) is a Praxis ski for $499. That's an unreal price for a new Praxis ski. Sign me up.

Down to either Protests (no brainer) or the new FRS for a resort pow ski (Tahoe), to replace my busted 190 Bibbys in that slot - which were perfect, just looking for a touch more surf.

This new "FRS" ski appears to the Tabke-special MVP+10 with more rocker. But the product page contains basically no information about the ski other than saying it's "developed from" that Tabke ski. Is it the same? Would love to see a camber profile and a spec sheet like they have for other skis. EDIT: I emailed Keith and asked these questions. Will post up.

I tour on 187 Protests and absolutely love that ski. But wondering if the FRS might be better fit for resort use, plus fun to try a different shape. I had been looking at the Chipotle Bananas...

Glad to see Praxis is still offering their skis!
    Just curious why the ULLR isn’t on your short list? FRS looks badass and I would certainly love to try a pair myself so I totally get it, just curious.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Anyone see the shipwrecked graphic?? I fucking dig it!!

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I'm looking at that GPO to potentially replace my 189 BGs, which I find to be a little too clunky/slow to move around/not very fun for my taste. So perhaps not going heavy hitter might be the way forward.
    Keith’s Enduro core is really really good, based on your previous comments I’d agree that you’ll probably be very happy with it. IMO the veneer does add some stiffness as well as some dampness with zero weight penalty. Heavy hitter does not add durability, it’s really a weight and dampness comparison, all Praxis builds are very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    *someone who's never skied 0N3P...*?
    I have been on BGs, Wrens, C&Ds, and Steeples. Great ski co., well made skis, and all very fun rides -- perhaps the C&Ds were too condition specific for my own taste.

I was only commenting on a GPO enduro vs GPO heavy hitter, though, and definitely my own preference for maneuvering 116mm skis. I can see why someone may opt for added crud busting over that.

Quixote CCR veneer...

I said I was done with custom Praxis but that does sound nice

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have been on BGs, Wrens, C&Ds, and Steeples. Great ski co., well made skis, and all very fun rides -- perhaps the C&Ds were too condition specific for my own taste.

I was only commenting on a GPO enduro vs GPO heavy hitter, though, and definitely my own preference for maneuvering 116mm skis. I can see why someone may opt for added crud busting over that.
    Gotcha.

I can't imagine the added weight of the heavy hitter GPO would make it that much more heavy underfoot (swing weight). I could be wrong though. Not that it really gets deflected as is, but imagining it even more damp and stable is where the idea came from. It's been compared to the BG so much it's not unimaginable to close the distance in regards to weight.

Been (think/drink)ing heavily, does anybody have a picture or graphic of what the CCR profile looks like? I'm having bad ideas about throwing that at a Protest to make it even looser and surfier.

I know Powderboards are a thing.

My Heavy hitter 191 Praxis lhasa weigh 2450g in a 4/5 flex nylon, which is not bad at all for a ski 117mm wide. (In comparison my 189 BGs weigh 2600g)

If you go veneer they will be even lighter. Average weight for a good inbounds pow ski in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post

I'm thinking a 187cm UL Protest (maybe veneer too?) could be the ticket
    I've literally done every one of my touring days this year on 192 UL F4 veneer protests. This includes a 7 day and a 5 day hut trip and many 7k+ days. I grab them anytime I expect to find 10cm or more of ski pen. They are the absolute shit and I couldn't be happier. It will take something pretty special to make me want a different pow touring setup.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I've literally done every one of my touring days this year on 192 UL F4 veneer protests. This includes a 7 day and a 5 day hut trip and many 7k+ days. I grab them anytime I expect to find 10cm or more of ski pen. They are the absolute shit and I couldn't be happier. It will take something pretty special to make me want a different pow touring setup.
    What is the weight of those?

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I have 187 carbon F3-4 protests (from a few years ago before the UL core). They are best touring ski ever.
    sproing!

Next question: will Ms. HAB notice if I add another pair of veneer Protests without graphics? I think probably not as long as I don't ever leave both pairs next to each other. Seems like a win!

Next question: will Ms. HAB notice if I add another pair of veneer Protests without graphics? I think probably not as long as I don't ever leave both pairs next to each other. Seems like a win!
    This is exactly the type of thinking we need more of around here.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    This is exactly the type of thinking we need more of around here.
    When you account for having to explain myself, the veneer upgrade totally pays for itself!

A buddy of mine would get a new bike every year. As long as it was red he was in the clear.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm inching towards a critical mass of skis where she can't keep track of all of them and I'm forever in the clear. The promised land.

I'm inching towards a critical mass of skis where she can't keep track of all of them and I'm forever in the clear. The promised land.
    Yessir. Just don’t forget to ship new arrivals to your work address.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Yessir. Just don’t forget to ship new arrivals to your work address.
    Slackey speaks the truth. With 5 kids skiing my wife has completely lost track of skis but she definitely knows when a new pair shows up at the house. Unfortunately the work address is now the home address.

Having to work from home so you can’t hide new skis from your wife by shipping them to the work address is real life Corona problems.

My $.02: I wouldn't go with a heavy hitter in the bigger Praxis skis. You'll have a lower swing weight with the enduro core and I'd personally take that over the slightly improved crud busting of the heavy hitter core.
    This makes a lot of sense. My thinking has evolved along the lines of looking at total mass perspective, as opposed to density. IOW, if I like how a 2200g ski behaves, I might go heavier in a narrow width to achieve that weight, and with a lighter core as the ski gets wider in order to not exceed that weight.

Then again, no one ever accused me of being a-ever-guese.

This has me thinking about what I can sell to build my dream GPO.

I agree with @Iggy and others who commented about Keith deserving to raise his prices. Anyone who whines because of the deals they got 5 years ago is like the person who bitches about that musician they used to see at their local dive for the cost of a few beers and maybe $5.00 at the tip jar. Now the musician has made it big and they gripe about a $30 ticket.

Praxis, ON3P, Down and Moment (by reputation - I haven't skied Moments) are some of the best combination of value and quality out there.

'nuther thought ... I wonder how any mandated shutdown will impact production. Of course, from our perspective ski manufacturing is an essential business, but not everyone agrees with this ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-04-2020 at 02:10 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I highly doubt that producing skis qualifies as an essential business, but I did my part and threw down to support Keith and Company yesterday. This will be the fifth pair of Praxis skis I've owned over the years.

Also, genuinely, no harm intended to anyone who loves their ON3P's. I've owned three pairs of them over the years and have some Steeple 116's in my quiver now. They're nice skis, but they're often touted as the second coming of Christ on here, and that grinds my gears.

I hope all of the smaller manufacturers make it through this, as the quality and variety of ski gear on the market today is unprecedented, and a lot of that innovation was driven by smaller ski builders.

Ordered 187 MVP, Keith said they'll be ready by late summer. Stoked to get on the new sticks with the new tip shape, cleaned up taper and slightly longer/slower rocker lines.

Who wants to buy my old custom pair of 193 MVP?