Page 73 of 121 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I know there are some BC's out there with heavy builds used as an inbounds DD... Who's been on that train? Any comments?
    Not a heavy build - mine are 2013 stock carbon layup - but every time I ski them I end up thinking I should ski them more. Capable in pretty much every condition. Really good in pow for their size, decent in chop (beefier build would definitely help here), quick in trees and bumps, and can hold hold a solid edge on anything short of East coast ice. Great all around ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I have that same set-up in the #4 flex; fucking love it, in bounds and out. Super predictable and surprisingly good in icy conditions.
    Gawd I just thought I declined these boards but I’m having non-buyers remorse. Would be nice to get back on Praxis skis!

Someone please bang so I don’t have to!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I know there are some BC's out there with heavy builds used as an inbounds DD... Who's been on that train? Any comments?
    I've mentioned this before, but I use my UL BCs flex 4 in the resort a lot. I'm 6'4, 210, hence the bump in flex to 4 as recommended by Keith. Mounted with shifts. Surprisingly capable inbounds ski. A real blast to use on groomer days as they carve very well, and I have a lot of fun plowing through chop on them when conditions are soft. Pretty much used them as my DD last year in the PNW and they did not disappoint.

I am starting to think about my next pair of skis. Bought some Woodsman 116s last spring with the hope that they would be a good fat all rounder. Skied them a few times and eh, they're ok, fine skis but not great for me, maybe the forward mount point. Nevertheless my son is the lucky inheritor of those.

So now I am thinking of Praxis. I have the 9D8 in 4 flex and couldn't imagine anything less than 4 flex. What ever I get will be at least that. Wondering if anyone here has skied the RX and the GPO and could compare and contrast them. I am looking for a fatter ski that can ski from groomers to a foot or two of fresh, wind blow, chop, stable at speed. I have the Mindbender 108 TI which is fantastic in all those conditions but the deeper snow. Wanting to add something that complements that. I use the 9D8 for lower snow conditions and love that ski. BGs for real pow days.

Or maybe the Concept?
    Last edited by Quandary; 02-12-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I am starting to think about my next pair of skis. Bought some Woodsman 116s last spring with the hope that they would be a good fat all rounder. Skied them a few times and eh, they're ok, fine skis but not great for me, maybe the forward mount point. Nevertheless my son is the lucky inheritor of those.

So now I am thinking of Praxis. I have the 9D8 in 4 flex and couldn't imagine anything less than 4 flex. What ever I get will be at least that. Wondering if anyone here has skied the RX and the GPO and could compare and contrast them. I am looking for a fatter ski that can ski from groomers to a foot or two of fresh, wind blow, chop, stable at speed. I have the Mindbender 108 TI which is fantastic in all those conditions but the deeper snow. Wanting to add something that complements that. I use the 9D8 for lower snow conditions and love that ski. BGs for real pow days.

Or maybe the Concept?
    Concept wasnt my thing. Pretty good all arounf though
    I find my gpo and rx go different routes in accomplishing a similar thing. They both carve a groomer amazingly well for a 116 waisted ski. The rx floats a bit better with more pintail and wider shovel. The gpo pivots a bit easier with the huge tio taper and less camber. The rx' longer radius and pintail help it pivot. Theyre both scalpels and like to be pushed. Im torn between the 2 on which i like more. I could get by with just having one or the other no problem. They fill the same slot in my quiver. I have the rx @ -1.2 but i'd like to have it closer to -.5 and i like my gpo where they are @ -1

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

It's a tough toss up. Sent an email to Keith as well asking him what he would recommend given my specs.

What flex do you have?

VVV

I spent a couple years touring on the 187 UL version of the GPO, and I remember thinking of I could get it in a 192 stock layup, I’d be stoked on it for a soft snow resort ski.

I just put a mega deep day on the 188 FRS, and the jury is still out. Will report back when I get more testing in

Very curious about that report. Thinking an FRS might be my next ski, either touring focused (UL) or as a gpo replacement for daily driver.
    Currently some hundred days in on a stiffer than stock 192 gpo and very happy. Thinking I have room for a more playful ski after trying some other skis recently but there's a lot to be said for something I'm always comfortable with.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Wondering if anyone here has skied the RX and the GPO and could compare and contrast them.
    No interest in the Quixote?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    No interest in the Quixote?
    I already have Billy Goats.

It's a tough toss up. Sent an email to Keith as well asking him what he would recommend given my specs.

What flex do you have?

VVV
    Both are stock 4 flex. Gpo is og map core and the rx is heavy hitter core. Im 165-175 lbs
    Gpo or rx is a great compliment to a bg. If im going to feel the bottom of tge new snow or searching for stashes im on the gpo or rx. If its deep fresh or chop its the bg.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Both are stock 4 flex. Gpo is og map core and the rx is heavy hitter core. Im 165-175 lbs
    Gpo or rx is a great compliment to a bg. If im going to feel the bottom of tge new snow or searching for stashes im on the gpo or rx. If its deep fresh or chop its the bg.

Same quiver spot I am looking to fill.

That pretty much sums it up (about feeling the bottom of the snow).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Ya, im happy to use the gpo/rx any day around here. Theyte my narrowest non touring specific skis atm. 2 or 3 weeks a year i could use something narrower, like now we're in a deep freeze and most everything is pretty hard and scraped off but there still some goods to be found. I keep looking at the new "slugger". Nice do it all shape. 102 waist with a floaty shovel and slightly pintailish and just enough rocker. Hard to pull the trigger for a couple week/year ski though, especially when the gpo/tx carve so well

Yeah, even in Colorado I can get by with a GPO as a daily driver. Admittedly, I avoid groomers like the plague. I need to baby my knees and stay away from hard snow. Speaking of the plague, maybe I'll ski again sometime.

@grinch has me looking at a UL Ullr or BPS (along with a few other skis ) for meadow skipping in the BC, given our dreadful Colorado snowpack in the Winter (even in a safe year). More float = less temptation to increase the slope angle into the danger zone ;-)

The FRS has my attention as well, but it's more forward mounted. As @grinch pointed out to me, the ULLR and BPS resemble a +10 GPO with a slightly more rearward mount point (which I like). The key difference (as far as I can tell) between the two is the turn radius. 24-25m has worked for me, but there's no telling with modern ski design that this is any type of universal number as we all know.

Here's hoping there's a Spring custom sale.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yeah, even in Colorado I can get by with a GPO as a daily driver. Admittedly, I avoid groomers like the plague. I need to baby my knees and stay away from hard snow. Speaking of the plague, maybe I'll ski again sometime.

@grinch has me looking at a UL Ullr or BPS (along with a few other skis ) for meadow skipping in the BC, given our dreadful Colorado snowpack in the Winter (even in a safe year). More float = less temptation to increase the slope angle into the danger zone ;-)

The FRS has my attention as well, but it's more forward mounted. As @grinch pointed out to me, the ULLR and BPS resemble a +10 GPO with a slightly more rearward mount point (which I like). The key difference (as far as I can tell) between the two is the turn radius. 24-25m has worked for me, but there's no telling with modern ski design that this is any type of universal number as we all know.

Here's hoping there's a Spring custom sale.

... Thom
    I prefer the longer radius as well. Maybe someone has an rx nearby you could try? 28m radius is nice. Has me thinking a +10 rx with the camber knocked in half to 3mm, at the same time that would give it a touch more splay, for a dedicated pow ski could be quite good. That would give us the tweener length at 180. I may have just talked my self into it

Or maybe the Concept?
    Similar ski in this range is the Quixote. I have both the GPO and the Quixote , but different builds. 187 GPO is MAP lightweight core , 4- flex, nylon. Q is 188 enduro core ,veneer ,4+ flex. Both were supposed to be travel skis, with the GPO also touring capable. Love the skis, but the GPO got a bit too knocked around in crud and firmer refrozen stuff, and could be a little grabby. The Q is a resort snow destroyer. Also the longer effective inside edge carves the hell out of hardpack for a 118 waist. Tough to honestly tell how much of the differences I see are from the build vs the shape. But I love the Q for anything remotely soft.

I prefer the longer radius as well. Maybe someone has an rx nearby you could try? 28m radius is nice. Has me thinking a +10 rx with the camber knocked in half to 3mm, at the same time that would give it a touch more splay, for a dedicated pow ski could be quite good. That would give us the tweener length at 180. I may have just talked my self into it

Damn, you're good ;-) I'm gonna expand the comparison chart and stare at it (I'll post it here), but conceptually, I like this.

[edit]@flowing alpy is smiling somewhere ;-) [/edit]

My sense is that the Rx's have a bit of a Down CD 114 vibe to them and (along with my GPOs, but for different reasons), these are my two favorite skis. I know ... skis are like kids ... you're not supposed to have favorites.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-13-2021 at 04:21 AM.
    Galibier Design

Damn, you're good ;-) I'm gonna expand the comparison chart and stare at it (I'll post it here), but conceptually, I like this.

[edit]@flowing alpy is smiling somewhere ;-) [/edit]

My sense is that the Rx's have a bit of a Down CD 114 vibe to them and (along with my GPOs, but for different reasons), these are my two favorite skis. I know ... skis are like kids ... you're not supposed to have favorites.

... Thom
    I expected id have to adjust more than i had too when i got on my rx'.i was scared there wasnt enough rocker or taper and maybe too much camber. Pleasantly surprised to just get on them and they were great straight away. They remind of the gpo. Powerful tail that finishes turns with a pop. Initiate a turn ez. Like the gpo they dont reward being lazy

I expected id have to adjust more than i had too when i got on my rx'.i was scared there wasnt enough rocker or taper and maybe too much camber. Pleasantly surprised to just get on them and they were great straight away. They remind of the gpo. Powerful tail that finishes turns with a pop. Initiate a turn ez. Like the gpo they dont reward being lazy

So, I further geeked out and added the Rx to my earlier comparison chart (also added the ProTest for the helluvit). You definitely need a full screen (not a phone) to view this.

If I recall, a +10 adds 2cm to the length (not 1 cm). The numbers for the +10 GPO & Rx reflect that assumption. I left camber contact and turn radius unchanged (I suspect both will change with the slight increase in length).

Ya know how you sit there in a state of confusion ... listening to all of the chatter (both internal and external)?

You find yourself selling yourself on an idea. Suddenly, something comes to your attention (fattie Rx) and it all just ... feels ... right (we'll see how I feel about this in a couple a weeks ):

... Thom
    Galibier Design

So, I further geeked out and added the Rx to my earlier comparison chart (also added the ProTest for the helluvit). You definitely need a full screen (not a phone) to view this.

If I recall, a +10 adds 2cm to the length (not 1 cm). I left camber contact and turn radius unchanged (I suspect both will change with the slight increase in length). The numbers for the +10 GPO & Rx reflect that assumption.

Ya know how you sit there in a state of confusion ... listening to all of the chatter (both internal and external).

You find yourself selling yourself on an idea. Suddenly, something comes to your attention (fattie Rx) and it all just ... feels ... right (we'll see how I feel about this in a couple a weeks ):

... Thom
    Haaaa, im sure we'll review and further review. Atm ive sold my self on it.

I already have Billy Goats.
    I have 182 GPO and 182 Quixote enduro/veneer/4 flex and had 184 BGs. Quixote is a vastly different ski than the BG.

Q’s ski much more like a 108-110 waisted ski and are fun in pretty much all conditions - rail groomers, super stable at high speeds yet playful, slippery and easy to get sideways. Still truck through chop and cut up pow. More energetic than 116 Woods too.

BGs have clear edge in float, deeper pow and bigger drops. So for me, neither is “better” but they do different things so well.

Q (and IMO GPO to lesser extant) are ideal travel skis and can do it all in such a fun package

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Skinny Quixote mounted and ready to go. Stoked. Attachment 346408
    How you getting along with the skinny Qs?

Quote Originally Posted by s-domini View Post
    I have 182 GPO and 182 Quixote enduro/veneer/4 flex and had 184 BGs. Quixote is a vastly different ski than the BG.

Q’s ski much more like a 108-110 waisted ski and are fun in pretty much all conditions - rail groomers, super stable at high speeds yet playful, slippery and easy to get sideways. Still truck through chop and cut up pow. More energetic than 116 Woods too.

BGs have clear edge in float, deeper pow and bigger drops. So for me, neither is “better” but they do different things so well.

Q (and IMO GPO to lesser extant) are ideal travel skis and can do it all in such a fun package
    Sounds like the same role as my K2 108TIs

Sounds like the same role as my K2 108TIs
    I absolutely love the mindbender 108ti. such a versatile ski. That said.... I did add something to the quiver that I may be falling in love with..

Name:  Commander.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  112.3 KB

(I was one of those idiots that made money off AMC in the market, so I figured I needed a present.)