Page 102 of 121 FirstFirst ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by googledidoo View Post
    For these conditions I don't want anything wider than around 88. But maybe that's just me.
    You might be right but I haven’t been on a ski that narrow in a looong time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    You might be right but I haven’t been on a ski that narrow in a looong time.
    Fair enough. And this is TGR after all. I might get booted for admitting I even own a pair of 88 width skis, much less actually ski them.

Quote Originally Posted by googledidoo View Post
    Fair enough. And this is TGR after all. I might get booted for admitting I even own a pair of 88 width skis, much less actually ski them.
    Hey, times are a changin’. There’s even that skinny skis thread that the mods haven’t taken down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'm wondering as well. I just wrote Keith one of my long-winded emails, and one of my questions was just that - whether I'm looking at a +10 GPO. This, and an Ullr with a shorter effective edge and turn radius seem to be pulling ahead.

... Thom
    Thom, or anyone else for that matter. Did Keith mention much in difference of characteristics between the fat GPO, Ullr, and BPS?

I was thinking a -10 UL BPS with CCR would be a pretty killer pow touring ski but not sure how it’d compare to the fat GPO or Ullr.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Thom, or anyone else for that matter. Did Keith mention much in difference of characteristics between the fat GPO, Ullr, and BPS?

I was thinking a -10 UL BPS with CCR would be a pretty killer pow touring ski but not sure how it’d compare to the fat GPO or Ullr.
    I'll dig through my emails. If my memory is correct, the Ullr had a slight inbounds bias, so you don't have too much drama in packed out sections on the way back to the lift.

I'll edit this post later in the day when I find the email from Keith.

[edit: Keith's comments follow ...]

As for the evolution of the designs, the GPO and the Ullr didn't really come together as a result of each other or in sequence.

If I remember correctly and I might not... but I think I do.. we had the Ullr and then Tabke and I started working on the GPO. Could be a chicken or an egg thing as I'm not really sure how it all progressed or if they had really anything to do with each other from the start.

The Ullr I originally made to be a powder ski for resorts with a lot of vert, like Jackson, or snowbird. Powder and bowls up top and then run some groomers to the bottom, hop on a tram and do it again.

So the Ullr was set up to carve as a modified shape powder ski. The GPO was made to slarve as a "mid fat" powder ski. If that makes sense, and really I'm not sure it does. But in a way they developed independently and ended up being similar almost cousins in the lineup kind of by chance. I don't think Drew ever even tried the Ullr...
    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-15-2022 at 03:28 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Thanks, Thom. That certainly helps clarify things a little bit. At least the intentions behind each design anyway. I shot him an email to get some thoughts on the -10 BPS with CCR idea for that midfat pow ski category.

I'll dig through my emails. If my memory is correct, the Ullr had a slight inbounds bias, so you don't have too much drama in packed out sections on the way back to the lift.

I'll edit this post later in the day when I find the email from Keith.

[edit: Keith's comments follow ...]

... Thom
    Thom, it has been a while and glad to see you on the board…. I am getting older and drifty but didn’t you get a +10 GPO during the custom order sale - could be wrong…. If you did how are they…?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just wanted to pop in to say I’ve got about 10 days on my 175 Sluggers, mainly skied in aspen area and they have been great for the harder snow. I’m impressed with the versatility of the ski in softer snow in trees and/or bumps.

Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    Just wanted to pop in to say I’ve got about 10 days on my 175 Sluggers, mainly skied in aspen area and they have been great for the harder snow. I’m impressed with the versatility of the ski in softer snow in trees and/or bumps.

+1 for the Slugger. I love those skis. It definitely lives up to its billing as an all arounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Thom, it has been a while and glad to see you on the board…. I am getting older and drifty but didn’t you get a +10 GPO during the custom order sale - could be wrong…. If you did how are they…?

I did (+10, UL/carbon/veneer, flex #3), and I'm sorry to say that we still have a delicate situation here due to COVID. I can't risk bringing it into the house, and I'm losing another ski season. At least my guitar playing is improving ;-)

Hopefully, this will change sooner rather than later, and I'll report back.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I did (+10, UL/carbon/veneer, flex #3), and I'm sorry to say that we still have a delicate situation here due to COVID. I can't risk bringing it into the house, and I'm losing another ski season. At least my guitar playing is improving ;-)

Hopefully, this will change sooner rather than later, and I'll report back.

... Thom
    Thom, stay safe and hope things turn and you are able to get out…. Looking forward to your feedback on those bad boys…. Going to get my new veneer GPOs mounted and trying to decide on mount point…. My believes 192 OGs are on the line and like them there but am sort of being swayed by all of the positive input on the -1 to -1 1/2 from recommended…

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Thom, stay safe and hope things turn and you are able to get out…. Looking forward to your feedback on those bad boys…. Going to get my new veneer GPOs mounted and trying to decide on mount point…. My believes 192 OGs are on the line and like them there but am sort of being swayed by all of the positive input on the -1 to -1 1/2 from recommended…
    Thanks for the encouragement. We'll all get there in due time ...

When I sold my 187 GPOs to get 182s, I wondered if I would have done so if I had mounted the 187s on the line. Both were the same layup as far as I can tell - Enduro or MAP, with veneer Veneer and they felt like every flex #4 Praxis I've skied on

I've been mounting GPOs anywhere from -1 to -1.75 (all of them being 182s), and as I recall, I mounted the 187s at -1.

I really loved the 187s, but opted for the slightly better maneuverability of the 182 in tight spaces.

I know that the 187s have about a 3m longer turn radius, and they felt more stable in chop. Would an on the line mount of the 187s have been the best of both worlds? I wish I knew ;-)

[edit] I just checked my spreadsheet and see that I mounted the 187s at -0.6. I seem to recall mounting to be able to reuse two toe holes.

I doubt they would have changed much by moving forward another half centimeter.

Of course, I realize there's a lot more to a ski's feel than turn radius, but the GPOs in 2 lengths are giving me a hint of the effects changing these two parameters (length and radius).

Anecdotally, the 187s feel very similar to my 181 CD 114s, which have a 24m radius.[/edit]

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-17-2022 at 07:25 PM.
    Galibier Design

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Will put new 182 GPO’s in play tomorrow for the first time

Mounted with alpine binders at -1.5 cm

On my previous 182 GPO’s
    I had experience at -2 cm with marker tour bindings but moved up to the line, and felt like -1 cm might have been sweet spot

Hence the decision to go -1.5

To be honest, the main reason I’m going to ski the GPO’s is the precip in the roaring fork zone AND because I noticed a small edge separation on the tail of one of my Sluggers (probably dropped it while pulling them from the rooftop box, not sure)

Anyway, the Sluggers are getting clamped and epoxied and will likely be back in service for our last ski day on Saturday

It was a great day to christen the GPO’s at Snowmass.

Mount point at -1.5 cm feels perfect

Selling some 182 UL Veneer Yetis in GS.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...rons-M-Jackets
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220215_163445.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	406490

Quiet on the Praxis front these days. Maybe all the Mags are all tapped out with the 3+ pairs of Praxis skis they own haha.

Pretty impressive Keith is still offering custom skis starting at $599 with inflation material costs going up.

Sliced graphic would be nice on veneer:

Name:  sliced.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  30.3 KB

High satisfaction with custom MVP 108s and having also sampled stock Protests for a couple (half) days has me wondering what some of the fatter shapes might also be cool but in a -1 build w the HH core/stiffer flex.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Seems to me a heavy hitter -1 Protest could fill the same slot as a Billy Goat and a heavy -1 GPO might be similar to an MFree 108, no?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah was thinking -1 Ullr, Protest, PBs, BPS

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

My 188 Q / Enduro / Veneer / 4+ flex are still my cold dead hand skis. That is all!

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Anyone have Keith build a full reverse camber MVP? The MVP 108 with CCR could be cool. I’d hope it’s similar to a 4frnt Devastator that is less of a variable crusher, a lot more fun in powder and available with a proper size range.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 04-23-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Anyone have Keith build a full reverse camber MVP? The MVP 108 with CCR could be cool. I’d hope it’s similar to a 4frnt Devastator but less of a variable crusher and a lot more fun in powder that’s available with a proper size range.
    This is a cool idea, anyone have a pic of the ccr rocker? Maybe we could make him make a more mellow profile if the ccr is really rockered

I got a pair of 192cm heavy hitter GPOs (+veneer+carbon) last year, and they absolutely rawked.

I’m thinking of going full smash this year, and getting the same thing with nylon topsheet and no carbon. I almost want to see if I can get the tips rockered just a bit more, but I don’t want to mess up the contact points. Maybe CCR would be a better way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Seems to me a heavy hitter -1 Protest could fill the same slot as a Billy Goat and a heavy -1 GPO might be similar to an MFree 108, no?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    The GPO and MFree 108 ski very similarly. The GPO is a bit looser and the MFree is better on edge. A -1 GPO with a heavy hitter core, veneer topsheet and carbon would be one hell of an inbounds crusher.

Spring Sale.

I keep thinking about @Neckbeard's skinny(-10), CCR Rx.

Because ... N+1.

... Thom
    Galibier Design