Page 48 of 121 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 3008
    So...the "Easiest" option (with no veneer) is a Praxis ski for $499. That's an unreal price for a new Praxis ski. Sign me up.

Down to either Protests (no brainer) or the new FRS for a resort pow ski (Tahoe), to replace my busted 190 Bibbys in that slot - which were perfect, just looking for a touch more surf.

This new "FRS" ski appears to the Tabke-special MVP+10 with more rocker. But the product page contains basically no information about the ski other than saying it's "developed from" that Tabke ski. Is it the same? Would love to see a camber profile and a spec sheet like they have for other skis. EDIT: I emailed Keith and asked these questions. Will post up.

I tour on 187 Protests and absolutely love that ski. But wondering if the FRS might be better fit for resort use, plus fun to try a different shape. I had been looking at the Chipotle Bananas...

Glad to see Praxis is still offering their skis!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    First off, you're a cheap son of a bitch. Have you ever priced any other semi-custom skis? Do you know what a pair of Iggy's will run you in 2020? Keith's skis are worth twice as much as those Blizzards, and I know this will piss some people off, but his skis are of unquestionably higher quality than ON3P's.

I think ON3P's are some of the most overpriced skis on the market today when you look at performance/$. Their shit never goes on any kind of meaningful discount, has flex patterns that are as refined as a 2x6, is so lifeless is defies the law of conversation of energy, and they use those idiotic green bases that might be durable, but are also slow-as-fuck and make properly brushing out a tune a pain in the ass.
    Keith and I use the same base material.

I haven't followed Keith's pricing in detail, but if he recently raised his prices on customs, good for him. His skis - particularly on custom preorder - have been underpriced for years.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

You guys are seriously crazy for bitching about prices. Seems like a good time to support your favorite ski company

#praxis4lyphe

In the game for a resort charger. Torn, very torn. On one hand I think I want something with metal in it. On the other, been wanting to ski freerides for a while. Thinking 4 flex, heavy hitter (maybe +C). Not a huge fan of the lengths it comes in though.

HH+C = resort death machine

FRS v. Protest from KOM:

Thanks for looking to get another set of our skis. I still have a good bit of work to do on the website with the new custom order options but wanted to get things launched so people could see what we have going on. I should have the spec sheet up for the FRS by the end of the weekend. But it is simply a +10 MVP, so all of the specs on the MVP page +10 mm are pretty much the FRS. We did adjust the rocker and tip upturn when we made the set for Drew so those numbers will be a little different, higher tip and a little longer/higher rocker. The developed from is more in reference to the alternative lengths that we added to the FRS, the 188 is the +10 MVP. And I figure it will continue to evolve from that.
    I love the Protest but I kind of like the idea of the FRS more for a resort powder ski. The Protest, maybe for Alpine if you are going out and finding fresh lap after lap on a powder day. But for a do it all resort powder ski the FRS seems like the ticket. Drew and our other team riders (Silas and Jed) really liked the +10 MVP.
    Great to hear you like the Protest for powder touring.
    sproing!

anyone know if the custom rocker options would permit reduction/elimination of some rocker? (eg 1/2 tip rocker height, 1/4 tail rocker height or just flat tail)

I realize it's a stretch but hey we're all stuck inside so

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    anyone know if the custom rocker options would permit reduction/elimination of some rocker? (eg 1/2 tip rocker height, 1/4 tail rocker height or just flat tail)

I realize it's a stretch but hey we're all stuck inside so
    Wasn't there an option at the bottom of that drop down menu: "or something else we can discuss"?seems perfect!
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    In the game for a resort charger. Torn, very torn. On one hand I think I want something with metal in it. On the other, been wanting to ski freerides for a while. Thinking 4 flex, heavy hitter (maybe +C). Not a huge fan of the lengths it comes in though.
    I would not add carbon to a HH. Makes the ski less damp and more demanding without being stable. Ask keith for a 4+ and HH for a inbounds charger.

Edit: I have owned both HH and HH + carbon + veneer, the HH alone with nylon is miles ahead better for a resort ski
    Last edited by mr_pretzel; 04-03-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Got some insanely cheap free rides this year second hand. They rip. 184cm and I’m usually a 189-193 kind of a guy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow;5947788I don’t want to make any mods to my dream GPOs other than adding veneer and enduro core... If I go with easiest option enduro is not available and have to pay an extra $150 to get it... [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=84222
    TGR Forums[/url]
    Perhaps I missed something, but enduro core is standard for the GPO, so you can go with the Easiest option. Adding a veneer would put you at $649.

What is the FRS ski? [eta - saw meter man's post. thanks]

Having owned many Praxis and ON3P skis over the years (and a handful of Rossignol, Blizzard, Atomic, Vokl, Icelantic, etc) - Praxis and ON3P are in a league of their own quality wise. I don't know if I'd say either is more durable or better made than the other, both builds are superb and I thoroughly enjoy many of each company's designs. $500 for a stock Praxis, up to $750

FRS is basically a +10 (119mm waist) MVP with more rocker.

FRS looks sweet. Didn't think I'd be looking at another Praxis this year but I might pull the trigger (have to support the economy and all). Personally, I am a huge fan of Heavy/Carbon/Veneer layup for resort with my Qs. I also really like my Praxis Lhasa Fats in Enduro/Veneer, as well as my Piste Jibs in Heavy/Veneer. A heavy/carbon/veneer FRS is pretty tempting. But for only $650 just going with Easiest Custom Option (Enduro Core) + Veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    FRS is basically a +10 (119mm waist) MVP with more rocker.

FRS looks sweet. Didn't think I'd be looking at another Praxis this year but I might pull the trigger (have to support the economy and all). Personally, I am a huge fan of Heavy/Carbon/Veneer layup for resort with my Qs. I also really like my Praxis Lhasa Fats in Enduro/Veneer, as well as my Piste Jibs in Heavy/Veneer. A heavy/carbon/veneer FRS is pretty tempting. But for only $650 just going with Easiest Custom Option (Enduro Core) + Veneer.
    What would the veneer do on the FRS? $150 is no joke...esp when the Champ didn't need the woody.
    sproing!

Here's a fun "what praxis ski am I" game:

25m+ radius 180-189cm, <= 5cm tip rocker height, <= 2cm tail rocker height. with the custom widths I guess width doesn't matter so much... basically looking for that long low tip rocker / flat tail vibe. bonus points for ~25mm tip/mid difference, ~10-15mm mid/tail difference.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Got some insanely cheap free rides this year second hand. They rip. 184cm and I’m usually a 189-193 kind of a guy.

This is good to hear as I'm in the same camp. What build do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Think this was for touring but a review nonetheless https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...xis-Skinny-GPO

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    So, people are considering skinny GPOs again? I can't quite remember if I wrote this somewhere else, but I gave them to a buddy. Strong skier, but need a cheap pair of skis. He really didn't like them, far to demanding compared to what they gave in return......which is what I felt as well. But this may or may not apply to you. We both ended up skiing them in a lot of tight, steep terrain, where it was difficult to ski at speeds that made them come alive.

Regarding BCs vs GPOs. IMO they are pretty far from each other. BCs ski like a pretty traditional ski, with a lot of rocker. For me it was a very intuitive ski, and I ended up putting a lot of milage on them. Unfortunately, at 190 they were too long for the ups. I've not clicked with either GPOs or skinny GPOs, just not my cup of tea.

In other news......how about those MVP94s? Anybody considering those?

Someone needs to get on a set of those MVP 94s and report back.

I am also interested in picking up a set of Park and Rides as an east coast daily for firm conditions, curious if anyone is holding one of those in a 181 or whatever the longest length is

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    FRS, Chipotle Banana
    I own the banana and I would love to AB against the FRS. I’ve only skied the CB 2x, but it felt money. Almost sold them without skiing them because they hand flex soft.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Perhaps I missed something, but enduro core is standard for the GPO, so you can go with the Easiest option. Adding a veneer would put you at $649.

What is the FRS ski? [eta - saw meter man's post. thanks]
    That was my bad... I already have a custom 192 GPO with the enduro as the heavy hitter was not available... If I did this custom I want to add the heavy hitter which makes the ski $799 with wood top... Not saying it is not worth it but since I already have a pair no need to spend $799 for another pair esp with my custom 194 Qs...

I've been thinking about adding a more dedicated powder touring setup to the quiver for a while, and might jump on this as the opportunity to do it. I've got 192cm MAP veneer Protests with Shifts already, and they're great skis, but they're about 2330g/ski flat which makes them kind of a lot to drag uphill for big vert. They're also generally more ski than I need in a touring rig. They're not at all demanding, but I'm 1) generally skiing more conservatively and slowly in the backcountry, so I don't need the same top end and 2) this pow touring ski would really only ever see good, deep snow so I don't have as much need for a more stable ski that can take on some chop. I'm about 6', 165lb.

I'm thinking a 187cm UL Protest (maybe veneer too?) could be the ticket, but I'm also intrigued by the idea of lightening up a FRS. What says the peanut gallery? I've also got 184cm Ravens as my more everyday touring ski, and the 190cm Bibby and 186cm OG Bodacious are my all time favorite resort skis, to give you an idea.

ETA: I'd be putting a much lighter binding than Shifts on these too. My current Protests get skied inbounds a fair bit too, hence that choice.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-188-MVP-10-UL <- these are 188cm, MVP +10 (I believe the FRS is just a MVP+10...??) at a hair under 2kg/ski, that's a lot of ski for the weight imo. With a light binding (MTN, ATK etc) that's a pretty nice setup, probably save almost 2lbs/foot over your Protests/shifts. just fwiw, not my sale or anything. ATK Trofeo Plus 10 @ 180g and you're looking svelte

Those are intriguing. I assume they're a stock flex 4, which might be a little stiffer than I need for a soft snow touring ski at my weight, but the price sure is right...

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Those are intriguing. I assume they're a stock flex 4, which might be a little stiffer than I need for a soft snow touring ski at my weight, but the price sure is right...
    actually those were #3 flex according to Keith, and I've been tempted since lockha31 posted up that profile picture.
    https://www.praxisskis.com/skis/expe...s/188-mvp-119/

Sheeeeeit. That's real tempting.

I would like to throw Keith some business right now though...

Thinking about some 192 GPOs + veneer, which I believe would weigh ~ 9.8 pounds per pair. In my books, that's a good weight for an inbounds ski. How much weight does a heavy hitter add, and is it really noticeable when skiing, or is it about durability? I've been skiing the BCs inbounds (UL + veneer) and they've been skiing great (at 8 pounds per pair), and I'm wondering if adding a heavy hitter core to a ski that's already quite a bit heavier is necessary.

I'm sure someone here can comment...

My $.02: I wouldn't go with a heavy hitter in the bigger Praxis skis. You'll have a lower swing weight with the enduro core and I'd personally take that over the slightly improved crud busting of the heavy hitter core.