Page 4 of 121 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    Ramp/delta issue maybe?
    Great point (& thanks for bringing it up), but I don't think so.

Shoulda mentioned - same boots, as well as bindings that were on my GPOs and BGs - Wardens & Lange XT 130 Freetours.

Parenthetically, I think @grinch is more bothered on my behalf than I am ;-). My Qs are great in powder.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-11-2018 at 01:56 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Haaaaaa I think
    I just miss mine. They’re definitely not a traditional design. I think I’m a cheater. Protests allow me to cheat

Nice looking sticks Betel. I haven’t seen that veneer before. Amazing! FWIW I liked all my 3 flex Praxis that I had but they definitely had a speed limit. The 3 flex on both my protests didn’t though.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Great point (& thanks for bringing it up), but I don't think so.

Shoulda mentioned - same boots, as well as bindings that were on my GPOs and BGs - Wardens & Lange XT 130 Freetours.

Parenthetically, I think @grinch is more bothered on my behalf than I am ;-). My Qs are great in powder.

... Thom
    Thom pretty sure the problem is you got a pair of Keith's limited edition tip dive version (TDV). For obvious reasons these didn't do so well. You should probably sell to a mag for cheap.
    Betel, mine are on the line and im like you (a line loyalist) and have always been happy there. Those veneers loke unreal btw.

I gave 'em my standard GPO tune - darn near rounded edges to the contact points, 1 degree base bevel, and nuts-on flat bases.

... and the tip dive being way worse than all the above mentioned skis - that was the most puzzling part.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Maybe I'll get with @adrenalated. I think we have very close BSLs - at least on our touring boots.

... Thom
    I've got 187s mounted with Schizos locally if you still have alpine boots and want to give them a whirl. Any BSL, any mount point +/- 3 for 310. 1/1 tune + lots of detuning to the contact points.

I personally like -1 to -1.5 on my 187s. But I am probably a bit large for 187s at 6'2"/170#. With 192s I'd probably go on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I've got 187s mounted with Schizos locally if you still have alpine boots and want to give them a whirl. Any BSL, any mount point +/- 3 for 310. 1/1 tune + lots of detuning to the contact points.

I personally like -1 to -1.5 on my 187s. But I am probably a bit large for 187s at 6'2"/170#. With 192s I'd probably go on the line.
    I don’t know, you’re taller than me but I’ve got you by 15lbs and have zero issue with tip dive on 188’s mounted 102.5 from the tip.

Thom: ramp/delta sounds like a possible issue. What is the forward lean on your boots? What you are experiencing is odd as the ProTest is one of the quickest bestest tree skis I’ve been on.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

FWIW I’m on the line and very happy
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I don’t know, you’re taller than me but I’ve got you by 15lbs and have zero issue with tip dive on 188’s mounted 102.5 from the tip.
    Should've clarified. I don't go -1 or so because of tip dive at dimple. Only because I like more tip in front of me.

Did your 188s ever sell? The ad got a bit confusing. I didn't want to bump my ad until yours are gone.

... Thom

No they haven't sold yet, but don't let that stop you. They'll go in due time.

All this protest talk has got me itching for some snow. I picked up OldSchool's 188 Protests on a whim, mounting them with Attack Demos as a "friend ski." Did the same with some Kartel 116s despite having some Jeffrey 114s too... If Denver mags want to try either ski for a couple laps in December hit me up. Would love to try out some new-gen BG's if anyone has a 179 or 184cm pair, or there are some Moment skis I'd like to get on. Not required for a test drive though (;

What's quiver overlap?

186cm Veneer Jeffrey 114s
    186cm Kartel 116s
    182cm Heavy/Carbon/Veneer Quixotes
    187cm Enduro Concepts
    188cm Protests
    192cm Enduro/Veneer Protests
    Soon to be 191cm Praxis x PM Gear Lhasa Pow fats

muggy ... you can take my 184 BGs out if you'd like. Wardens mounted for a 325, should take 311-339mm.

Sadly I do have a midget foot, 295mm BSL. Most of my skis are mounted for 295-315 or 325mm BSL though. And the Kartels and 188 Protests fit any boot.

FWIW - I have Adrenalated's old 187 Protests, ~3.75 flex. Myself - 6'-5", 205-210 lbs dressed. I put demo bindings on them so I could play with the mount point. I skied a 1/2 day up at Whitewater outside Nelson BC at minus 1. I didn't really understand all the stoke on the skis and struggled in some manky conditions. I slid them back to being on the line and it was heaven the rest of that day. The next 3 days was cat skiing at Baldface and the skis were nothing short of amazing on the line. Baldface is super tight trees and with no big wide open runs for me to really open on them. I am curious what they will be like off the top of Mammoth or Squaw in something wide open. My vote is go on the line based on my experience.

The way that you guys describe how the ProTests ski, seems like a slightly forward mount (-8, on the line) is the way to go for pivoty goodness

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mine pivot fine. Mount them in the line. Worst case scenario is you go back and have two sets of holes.

The man himself, told me the other day that the new Enduro core is more powerful, damper, and stronger than the old enduro core, leading me to believe it works better than the old in the resort or on firm. He got rid of the paulownia, and added aspen. He told me the main reason for paulownia was just how light it could make a ski, but was best suited for touring skis. Paulownia now hard to source, and aspen simply performs better.

He also told me that the main guts of the new enduro core is Maple and Ash, and the aspen is just a filler. Not a massive difference in integrity between enduro and heavy.

Anyone able to compare the new Enduro veneer with a heavy veneer in the same ski??

Welcome to the wonderful world of Protests.

Re mounting and bindings, I run Sollyfits on mine and have been really happy with that setup, but I only tour on them on Japan trips, so minimal daily fiddle factor involved. Shifts make sense.

I’m on the line and have never, ever had any tip dive. 175# and 320bsl.

As 2Funky said, plug and slay.

I happily received a shipment today! This far they are everything I hoped them to be when it comes to dims, camber profile and flex. Really looking forward to getting these on snow. 191 Fat BC, MAA Enduro #4. The pair are 4620 grams.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180913_152306.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	247223

Name:	20180913_152626.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	247224

Name:	20180913_153430.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	440.9 KB 
ID:	247225

Name:	20180913_153713.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	247226

Love that geometric pattern those look sick

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

&hose look great! I love the BC shape. I wish they came in a 185cm.
    What bindings are you going to use, and what is the actual, measured length?

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    ...What bindings are you going to use, and what is the actual, measured length?
    Double sided tape ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    &hose look great! I love the BC shape. I wish they came in a 185cm.
    What bindings are you going to use, and what is the actual, measured length?
    They'll get neon yellow Sth2 16's. Straight tape is 189 cm. Caliper widths are 140.5-115.0-132.0. In the pics the boots are at -9.5 (1.5 behind dimple) not decided yet but that's probably close to where they'll be drilled.

Double sided tape ;-)

... Thom
    Velcro rules!!

Wow, those look very cool!

The sidecut on that design looks so nice. Looks great for resort

I love how Praxis does taper. There is no dramatic “point” where the taper starts, even on heavily tapered skis like the Protests.