Page 24 of 121 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Yes, bummed about this. I always liked getting to choose so many different aspects of the ski to truly have a one of a kind ski. Also didn't use my points on this springs ski order, instead banking them with the new purchase ones for a future order.

My guess is Keith could have an expanded retail opportunity and needs to focus on that. Whatever the details I'll still be a customer as I am always pleased with my Praxis skis.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Wow, haven't seen that. I'm so glad I ordered a pair of custom BCs this year! That being said, I'm very happy with my stock Quixotes so no custom options certainly won't stop me from coming back.

I bet it's because of all the mags asking for a plus or minus flex

Yeah. Sounds like it may not be permanent, “time being”. Hope it’s not done with.

Here's the text of the email:

Praxis Ski Company Renovation Sale

Check Out The Low Prices

Winter is just around the corner and we have a great selection of skis now available at what would typically be spring closeout sale prices! Big changes are in the works at Praxis Skis, as we rework our factory operations and business model to be able to offer lower more competitive prices, expanded ski designs, and simply a better way to create and sell skis.

www.praxisskis.com/skis/

As much as we love our intricate custom ski building option, we will be stepping away from offering custom builds for the time being. The first order of business is to clear out all current inventory asap to help us move on to the next chapter of the Praxis Ski Company. Lucky for you we have some great skis in stock, with almost all ski sizes and models in our lineup currently available. Most importantly the current inventory is available at heavily discounted prices! Please help us clear out this inventory fast and let your friends know of the great deals available.

Cash In Rewards Points & Coupons

Rewards points program ending – Due to the hassle of using the system and problems with integration, as well as the high monthly cost of the 3rd party program, we have decided to discontinue the sloyalty reward points program. Current customer points can now be cashed in for store credit, this option will be available until Oct 31st. Existing new custom 15 % discount coupons will expire on Oct 31st. Now is the time to use up those points and coupons, and save even more off our low closeout prices!

What's New?

Keep an eye out as we implement our latest designs and offer it to you for an exceptional value. Help us create the next great ski! Experimental new designs will be offered in a limited production pre-order, with fast production turnaround times. A form or rapid ski development and evolution, we are looking for input and feedback from die hard skier’s on the next generation of skis for the Praxis Ski Company.

Have you check out our sapling ski poles? We are now making them to order. The wooden ski poles are a fun addition to your skiing style, fully functional, lightweight and durable. A great conversation starter on the lift, so if you don’t like talking to people on the lift I wouldn’t get a set of these poles!

https://www.praxisskis.com/ski-poles/
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

WTF???? Don’t know why I didn’t get that email? My personal opinion is Keith had reached the pinnacle of semi custom ski making and I had a really good feel of what I really wanted for each type of ski I wanted as pertained to core layups and the whole nine, I’m so bummed! I truly wish the best for the whole Praxis family and have very high hopes for what comes next and I’m sure they’ll kill it, but shit!!!! Really hope all the options and presales don’t die for good, IMHO best ski company EVAR!!!! Best of luck Keith!!!!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    WTF???? Don’t know why I didn’t get that email? My personal opinion is Keith had reached the pinnacle of semi custom ski making and I had a really good feel of what I really wanted for each type of ski I wanted as pertained to core layups and the whole nine, I’m so bummed! I truly wish the best for the whole Praxis family and have very high hopes for what comes next and I’m sure they’ll kill it, but shit!!!! Really hope all the options and presales don’t die for good, IMHO best ski company EVAR!!!! Best of luck Keith!!!!!
    Yeah, definItely bummed (as you are), and of course cheering for his success.

It was a matter of time before he figured out that while it gave him a unique market position, it wasn't a sustainable model for his long term sanity.

The extended special, off cycle sales were the big clue that a change was necessary and likely imminent.

Hopefully, growth will bring back at least some custom options (the ON3P business model comes to mind).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

I imagine for it to be truly sustainable for Keith, he’d have to charge more like double what a lot of us ended up buying custom skis for each year. $5-600 something is pretty nuts for what we got.

I’ve always hoped he could get his skis into retail shops. His designs and options certainly cater to the TGR crowd, but that’s only a small fraction of the skiing population. Most still buy from their local shop or big online shops like Evo and Backcountry. I think availability of moments and ON3P at those shops definitely helped them gain popularity mainstream. Praxis were in Evo for 1 year, not sure how that ultimately went

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I imagine for it to be truly sustainable for Keith, he’d have to charge more like double what a lot of us ended up buying custom skis for each year. $5-600 something is pretty nuts for what we got.

I’ve always hoped he could get his skis into retail shops. His designs and options certainly cater to the TGR crowd, but that’s only a small fraction of the skiing population. Most still buy from their local shop or big online shops like Evo and Backcountry. I think availability of moments and ON3P at those shops definitely helped them gain popularity mainstream. Praxis were in Evo for 1 year, not sure how that ultimately went
    Also, I remember Scott posting on the ON3P thread that selling through EVO is more of a visibility thing for him - that he doesn't make a "fair" markup by selling wholesale to shops. That makes sense, given the scale of production (which I suspect is a bit larger than Praxis but still small).

I always looked at the Spring custom sale as a way for Keith to make it through the lean months. It sounds as if he's found a way to navigate those cash flow problems. Good for him! If only I had ordered some UL Veneer GPOs this Spring ... ah well.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Seems like Keith should of given us all a "last call" warning. I imagine there would of been at least 20+ more custom orders...
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Praxis is in the Sports Hub in Truckee and have been in the Start Haus also in Truckee, additionally have been in some South Lake Tahoe shops, it varies year to year. The business model for the bigs is having reps and multiple lines like skis, boots, clothing, and bindings then using leverage to get shelf space. In the traditional market the orders are taken at the winter show for the next year, that way the factories have the can plan production labor and materials ordering and reduce overproduction to a large degree. The manufacturers control the magazines with ads and the magazines payback with equipment test.

Keith started making skis on the come and selling as best he could. That morphed into the custom model we have seen for the past years plus a few skis in each model for sale off the shelf. Forecasting is tough, make too many your and money is tied up in inventory, if you don't make enough you have limited your income. Small business is the hardest way to go, highest failure.

Good luck to Keith, a rising tide lifts all ships as they say.

I'm a touch bummed i didn't get a last pull on the joint while it was going around but I'd have been more bummed to never have shown up to the party at all and I'll cherish my customs until someone prys them out of my cold dead hands. I'm excited to see where he takes the company.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    WTF???? Don’t know why I didn’t get that email?
    You probably need to check your junk mail folder, that's where my landed...

Bummer about the change, but best of luck to Keith and team!

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Seems like Keith should of given us all a "last call" warning. I imagine there would of been at least 20+ more custom orders...
    Double that guesstimate at least.

I don’t need any more praxis at the moment but if someone wants to put together an interest list for another custom run he may consider it if you get enough on board. Although I think his priority right now is moving existing inventory

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Double that guesstimate at least.
    (2 * N) + 1

I know ... the parenthesis is unnecessary
    Galibier Design

Well shit, I don’t really need a new pair of skis, but between these prices and losing my accrued rewards points, I guess I’m back in the market.

The more I think about it, the more I want to ask Keith if he'll do one more custom run if we get enough orders together to make it worth it? That might not be possible and materials/etc may already dictate that. Anyone asked him or think the same?

The more I think about it, the more I want to ask Keith if he'll do one more custom run if we get enough orders together to make it worth it? That might not be possible and materials/etc may already dictate that. Anyone asked him or think the same?
    When you say "custom run" I assume you mean pick your ski, like the Springtime offering. I can't envision him wanting to do that at the moment (although I'd be all over a UL/Carbon/Veneer GPO for a touring rig).

Another run of a single ski like the Lhasa batch ... I could see him possibly being persuaded.

Of course, with such diverse "needs" on this thread, I can't envision agreement on a single ski.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

What ski build are you after?

Has anyone tried those sticks he's selling? They look freakin' awesome. I want some poles that look like sticks. I'm afraid they weigh a ton though.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

Of course, with such diverse "needs" on this thread, I can't envision agreement on a single ski.

... Thom
    ^^^THIS^^^

From what I get out of the deal he needs to liquidate before he can really do much, but I would almost guarantee if it was a pre order, pre paid kind of deal he would probably be pretty stoked to work out group buy if people could agree on such a thing
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

When you say "custom run" I assume you mean pick your ski, like the Springtime offering. I can't envision him wanting to do that at the moment (although I'd be all over a UL/Carbon/Veneer GPO for a touring rig).

Another run of a single ski like the Lhasa batch ... I could see him possibly being persuaded.

... Thom
    I'm mainly having remorse because I didn't order enough customs while it was in effect. Each year I would have a build in mind and only pulled the trigger twice. Problem is there are too many (awesome) used skis floating around these parts...
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    What ski build are you after?
    I've been thinking of a skinny, heavy core Q for an inbounds daily driver. Only been holding off because I haven't actually skied a Q yet. Also would like to try the MVP to fill the same spot.

... Thom
    Kusala repress would be an awesome follow-up project.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Kusala repress would be an awesome follow-up project.
    I’d probably buy that...

Any chance of 15-20 people who want a 182, UL/Veneer GPO

... Thom
    Galibier Design