Page 40 of 121 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 3008
    Not a fan of heavy + carbon, carbon makes the ski so hard to keep bent.
    I like glass + heavy a lot more.

Lessen your carbon footprint.
    #justsayno2carbon

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I did the stiff flex, 4/5 heavy core on my Lhasa, Keith talked me out of carbon for my build since I wanted a fall line missile. He did say a flex 3/4 enduro carbon would be a good match tho.

What do people think would compliment a concept as a two ski inbounds-only quiver for Tahoe? I'm thinking -10 GPO, -10 MVP or freeride? I want something a little better in bumps and hard snow (Will also be going a size down from the concepts).

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    ...but am curious about the carbon...
    Personally, for what you’re describing, I’d probably skip the carbon.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    What do people think would compliment a concept as a two ski inbounds-only quiver for Tahoe? I'm thinking -10 GPO, -10 MVP or freeride? I want something a little better in bumps and hard snow (Will also be going a size down from the concepts).
    I'd say a stock GPO and MVP. If you want narrower look at some of the other options. There's been mixed results with changing widths willy nilly.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

-10 mvp is a piste jib . Pj is 3 flex and mvp us 4. Stock gpo and a pj is a nice combo

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

How does the Concept nose compare to GPO for float in deep and heavy? GPO nose doesn’t really float in that stuff until you get it up to speed. Awesome for chop but for a 2 ski quiver in Tahoe it’s nice something that be ridiculously fun for the occasional deep and heavy days. The GPO has kind of struck me as a 1 ski quiver or 3 ski quiver ski (middle/Goldilocks position), but not the fat end of a 2 ski quiver in places that get upside down or heavy pow.

As in, insert mid-100 waist all mountain ski of your style (BC, Freeride, MVP) and then get a Protest. (Or a snowboard, that’s what I do when it’s heavy or upside down hah)

Since you mentioned bumps though, and knowing what happens when it’s firm and crappy during prolonged dry spells in Tahoe, maybe 9D/9D8/PJ and 116 waist ski of your style (RX, Concept, yes GPO knowing the tip isn’t the best for low speed skiing in pow).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    -10 mvp is a piste jib . Pj is 3 flex and mvp us 4. Stock gpo and a pj is a nice combo
    [/URL]
    Is there one you tend to reach for the most when going up to the resort?

Actually it sounds like you already have a Concept ... I bet a Custom Yeti with Heavy Hitter core + veneer would actually be a pretty damn versatile ski for “hasn’t snowed in X days” / spring conditions inbounds ski in Tahoe. But a stock PJ or 9D will be a lot less cash!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks guys! Yes I already have a concept and for now am probably looking to fill the "hasn't snowed in X days". Currently that spot is filled by a pair of faction CT 3.0s but they are much to short for me out here. The PJs look great and similar to my Candides which I do love, I hadn't really considered them until now. Custom yetis also look like a sweet option. The good news is when I fill this spot in my quiver there will probably never be a dry spell and I'll never get to use them. You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    Is there one you tend to reach for the most when going up to the resort?
    I sold the piste jib. I really liked it but id rather have that ski shorter than the 184 that i had. I think i would have kept it if it was around 177(if that was an option/it isnt). Its more of a all mt/play ski (low tide, hit some moguls and side hits and try and get switch going or groomers) for me. It made no sense having that longer than my 182 gpo. Debated getting a 174 and still might. The only weakness i found was ripping spring corn laps. Id end up grabbing my gpo for that. The 3 flex didnt make sense for the longer pj. Shorter and i would ski spring moguls with the 3 flex. Also wonder if id get more use out of a mvp. I go back and forth between the pj and mvp for a future purchase in that slot

I'll go plain jane and say the 9D or 9D8, heavy and 4 or 5. Both are super fun on hardpack and in bumps. They're not sexy and are more traditional by today's standards, but they're very predictable and quick, esp. the 9D.

As a massive Concept fan boy.....the Piste Jib was a nice addition. I IMMEDIATELY clicked with the concept....like perfection for me. The PJ wasn’t as intuitive for me....but I love them now....my error IMO.

I also am a carbon user....Keith talked me into some carbon bc I occasionally tour on mine. My PJ has shifts and carbon, fun sidecountry set up for day(s) post storm

I’d go MVP / Protest (which I’ve never skied, but whatever, bet they’re sweet) as a 2 ski Tahoe quiver. PJ/MVP/Protest for 3 ski. but I always lean toward ideal setup for the conditions I want to be skiing.

I like the MVP so much in pow up to 12’’ it’s pretty much eliminated the need for a 113-120 UF ski in my quiver. I’m on the 193s which obviously helps float

Different strokes and I likely weigh a lot more than the grinch, I love my 184 PJs in spring corn. I’ve only used them in NE. Slash, carve, jump, jib, slarves, they do it. My corn destroyer of choice in Tahoe is a 194 Devastator or 193 MVP.

I have always loved the energetic rebound carbon adds to a soft to medium flexing ski. It can make for really playful skiing in consistent / predictable snow. The thing I’ve never loved is the high frequency chatter it also adds on inconsistent/junk snow. Which is where something like wood veneer should theoretically come into play to settle low amplitude high frequency chatter.

I haven’t tried carbon plus veneer yet but if I’m feeling flush with money / think I can clear this past my wife come spring presale (slim chance, she works full time and I’m unemployed stay at home dad) I’ll probably do that.

Sort of reenvisioning both my resort and BC quivers lately. Inbounds: starting to get tired of my old school 178 Nordica Enforcers (flat tail 2x titanium layers) and thinking slightly skinnier, more playful, lighter weight, more forgiving tail in bumps or early season when my legs aren’t fully dialed. 174 9D seems to fit that bill well.

I like my enduro veneer 182 GPOs for a soft snow all mountain position, but some days it still feels like too much ski for me - when I don’t have the fitness or desire to ski like I’m competition skiing. Probably should have gone 175. Or maybe stick with what I love and go enduro veneer 180 BC for all mountain soft snow. I’m 5’ 8” 135 lbs.

It leaves open the powder position, for which I have a 162 cm snowboard - and eventually can compliment with 177 Protests.

Touring wise, 180 Flex 2 BC has been awesome in so many conditions on the west coast as a one ski quiver. So easy to ski lazily but also able to be driven hard, so playful, so much fun - so who cares if it has a speed limit because I’m not a guy who is sending in the backcountry. My pair is now 9 seasons old, feeling pretty soft, and I’m not sure whether to replace like with like, or to split this out to a Yeti / Wootest combo. The BC has been weak on ultrasmooth windboard, and actually amazing in pow but in over 2 feet of new snow (once I toured 5 feet of pow) I could have used a bit extra girth and rocker - and I didn’t know 177 was a Wootest option until mall walker posted his up! Replacing one ski with two though, as an unemployed dad who now has less than half the time to tour that I used to ... probably not in the cards, sigh ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    ... I haven’t tried carbon plus veneer yet but if I’m feeling flush with money / think I can clear this past my wife come spring presale (slim chance, she works full time and I’m unemployed stay at home dad) I’ll probably do that.
    My departed Enduro/Carbon/Veneer Qs had a very similar feel (dampness-wise) to my Enduro/Veneer GPOs - not a perfect apples to apples comparison, but my sense is that in Keith's builds, veneer dominates - in a good way.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

And did you find the carbon added in said “snap” of energy return, coming out of a turn or loading the rails for an ollie?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Appreciate all the input boys - going heavy core, veneer and will be skipping the carbon...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Appreciate all the input boys - going heavy core, veneer and will be skipping the carbon...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gon be siiiiiiiick!!!
    Dammit, now I want some... just like that

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    And did you find the carbon added in said “snap” of energy return, coming out of a turn or loading the rails for an ollie?
    That's the apples to apples part I can't comment on. The Qs engage differently than the GPOs (coming out of a turn and starting the next one).

Mid-turn, there's a calmness/dampness common to both veneer skis (one with carbon, the other without).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-25-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I sold the piste jib. I really liked it but id rather have that ski shorter than the 184 that i had. I think i would have kept it if it was around 177(if that was an option/it isnt). Its more of a all mt/play ski (low tide, hit some moguls and side hits and try and get switch going or groomers) for me. It made no sense having that longer than my 182 gpo. Debated getting a 174 and still might. The only weakness i found was ripping spring corn laps. Id end up grabbing my gpo for that. The 3 flex didnt make sense for the longer pj. Shorter and i would ski spring moguls with the 3 flex. Also wonder if id get more use out of a mvp. I go back and forth between the pj and mvp for a future purchase in that slot

Good to hear your thoughts. I'm looking at getting a new daily driver and debating the limitless options. Still really enjoy my BCs for touring. Actually took them inbounds today for the first time ever and it was good times but I was snapped back into reality after blowing out of the lightweight touring bindings when landing switch off a small hit. I've been wondering about those MVPs...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    Good to hear your thoughts. I'm looking at getting a new daily driver and debating the limitless options. Still really enjoy my BCs for touring. Actually took them inbounds today for the first time ever and it was good times but I was snapped back into reality after blowing out of the lightweight touring bindings when landing switch off a small hit. I've been wondering about those MVPs...
    Nice, you still have the bc's. Another ski id like to get again. The list is looong

Interesting email from Praxis re Drew Tabke's MVP special. I always thought a flatter, longer tip would be a bonus.

-----

"So, what was Drew skiing on for the most recent comp in Japan? The answer might surprise you as much as it did us when he put the order in. Using our custom order menu Drew created a version of the MVP, a variation of one of his go to skis in the quiver, but one he rarely used in competition.

The custom build was a 187 MVP +10 Ultralight core with a #3 flex, and nylon top. Why was this his ski of choice for one of the biggest freeride events in the world? Drew being familiar with the terrain and snow of Japan wanted a fatter jibby ski, poppy and light that would mesh well with the line he had plans to throw down. Since this was going to be a powder version of the MVP we made some additional changes to the rocker and tip and tail upturns. Mainly increased the rocker length and height by a few mm and decreased the tip upturn for a longer slower rise, faster and smoother in powder.

As soon as the skis came off the press, were cut out and tuned we could see this ski was a winner. We just needed to send it off to Tabke so he could show us how to properly ski this new creation. The immediate report back was positive and only a few weeks later the results are in and we could not be any happier! Nice work Drew! Congrats and thanks for all the stoke!

Interested in getting a pair of these fatty MVP's? Fired up, we are in the factory now creating a small run of them for the team and still have a few pair available. They won't be on the website but hit us up if you are interested. The price is right and the ski is a winner! "

Phenomenal heads up, thanks! For some reason after all these years I still can’t seem to get on his newsletter. Thanks again!