Page 1 of 121 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

About that time of year again. New Discussion for the 2018-19 Praxis Skis lineup

http://praxisskis.com/

Post in this thread for general stoke, questions, mounting information, and reviews for Praxis Skis.

If you're a new Praxis purchaser, you can get a referral link from from members on here to create your account and get 15% off your first order. Win-win for everyone. Myself or other members will gladly send a link for the code if you private message us on here.

Below are past Praxis Threads with tons of great info in them. Also check out Praxis' Facebook page for more ski pics (check out the Veneer Graphics Album). As always, email Keith (owner of Praxis' skis) for advice on which ski/core/flex/veneer, graphics might work for you (can find his email on the website).

2013-Praxis-Skis

2014-Praxis-Skis-review-mounting-resource-guide

The-2015-Praxis-skis-info-and-reviews-thread

2016-PRAXIS-info-mounting-and-resource-guide

2017-Praxis-Skis-Info-and-Resource-Thread

Further Reading. Lineup is largely unchanged, MVP had a shape change and narrowed up a bit. The Enduro core is now Maple, Ash, and Aspen. Aspen replaced Paulownia in Enduro core this year - all Enduro/MAP cores prior to 2018 had Paulownia in them and no Aspen. New graphic options as usual, look killer. The ability to make a ski wider or narrower by 10mm has had positive results, although sometimes shapes do not work as well in a different width.

Will update later if there are other changes.

New small batch production run in the works for a PM Gear - Praxis Collab 191cm Lhasa Pow Fat:
    Praxis-Lhasa-Pow-Fats

Praxis-Carbon-Layups-Yay-or-Nay-for-Resort

Praxis-Skis-Topsheet-and-Base-Graphic-Picture-Thread

Specific Ski Threads:

Praxis-Protest-just-how-cool-is-it

The-Official-Great-Pacific-Octopus-Thread

Praxis-MVP

Wootest and Wootest 2.0

Praxis-Quixote-Jumped-the-Shark-or-Legit

Praxis-Ullr

Praxis-Rx

Official-Jigarex-thread

PSA-Mount-your-own-fucking-skis

A-Video-TR-How-to-Bend-Brakes

Praxis-Freeride-mounting-point

Mounting-Point-Praxis-Powder-Boards

Random Chatter:

Building-a-Ski-Boot-Press

*Current*-Lotus-138-compared-to-the-*current*-Praxis-Powder-Board?

Praxis-Carving-Skis

Has-anyone-skied-Praxis-Concepts-with-NTNs

Stoked to have picked a pair of Woo’s off the board!

Thanks for creating this thread?

Can’t seem to remember if it’s been discussed. What difference does the switch from paulownia to aspen ,in the enduro core , does that make? Weight? Dampness? Durability? Has anyone done a direct comparison? I thought the map core was a very nice balance. Quite light and still stable in all the skis I’ve had

Strong work muggy. Thanks
    Last edited by grinch; 08-09-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Was waiting for it ^

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Can’t seem to remember if it’s been discussed. What difference does the switch from paulownia to aspen ,in the enduro core , does that make? Weight? Dampness? Durability? Has anyone done a direct comparison? I thought the map core was a very nice balance. Quite light and still stable in all the skis I’ve had

Strong work muggy. Thanks
    Asked Keith about this, he said the aspen is heavier and more dense then the Paulownia but it was their favorite among the light woods they’ve used in the past. He was also very impressed with the Paulownia and I got the feeling he will always be playing with and adjusting his cores to get the best performance per what the custy is looking for. I also dig the MAP core but I’m really excited to try out the MAA core, def going to add a little weight but I think it’s gonna be pretty minute except for maybe the really big sticks.

...and yeah, thanks mug, that is one hell of a reference, solid work indeed!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

ProTest

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Asked Keith about this, he said the aspen is heavier and more dense then the Paulownia but it was their favorite among the light woods they’ve used in the past. He was also very impressed with the Paulownia and I got the feeling he will always be playing with and adjusting his cores to get the best performance per what the custy is looking for. I also dig the MAP core but I’m really excited to try out the MAA core, def going to add a little weight but I think it’s gonna be pretty minute except for maybe the really big sticks.

...and yeah, thanks mug, that is one hell of a reference, solid work indeed!
    Thanks for that. Sounds like MAA with veneer should be very close to MAP with nylon for weight, at the same time both MAA and the veneers improves the feel of the skis. Veneers have been a win win. Curious to try MAA now. It’d be fun to test the two constructions back to back.

You may have missed this in today's mailing from Keith, but there's another shot at custom orders through tomorrow (Wed. 8/29).

This is limited to the "Keep Tahoe Blue" edition. Choose your ski model, core type & flex. About the only custom option not available is top sheet graphic, which is of course, the "Keep Tahoe Blue" graphic.

This edition has a veneer topsheet (as if any of us would bypass the veneer).

Damn! I thought I was going to stay strong and not write a check this year. I keep hearing this Piste Jib voice in the back of my head.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

MVPs arrived a while ago. Never posted a photo. 183 enduro, ambrosia veneer, 3+, touring setup. If they fail that, park and bumps. Rocker is subtle. Need some g3 zeds...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4152.JPG 
Views:	804 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	245556
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

^^^I love that graphic.

And some very odd random stuff used as background props.

This is Keith's photo he sent me, only had enough time to quickly open the package before heading into work.

180 BC's, enduro core, 3 flex, Sister T on Karelian birch veneer. First time ever veneer graphic combo. Image ended up ghosted, which I think looks real cool, and Keith did the right thing by checking in with me before shipping since it was a new combination. Classier this way, while still being just a little trashy.
    Planning on mounting some Shifts and using them as an East Coast 50/50 ski. Debated both carbon and upping the flex, but Keith seemed convinced I'd be happy with this setup.

Now I need new skis for my Japan trip!
    Last edited by Seanmells; 08-29-2018 at 01:58 PM.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

There is a pair of discounted standard 189 Rx Blems for $600

Somebody buy them so I dont do something irrational. I’d like it as a touring ski, but ultimately want something a little looser and cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 08-29-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmells View Post
    This is Keith's photo he sent me, only had enough time to quickly open the package before heading into work.

180 BC's, enduro core, 3 flex, Sister T on Karelian birch veneer. First time ever veneer graphic combo. Image ended up ghosted, which I think looks real cool, and Keith did the right thing by checking in with me before shipping since it was a new combination. Classier this way, while still being just a little trashy.
    Planning on mounting some Shifts and using them as an East Coast 50/50 ski. Debated both carbon and upping the flex, but Keith seemed convinced I'd be happy with this setup.

Those look rad AF! Love em
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

second. ghosted graphic is really cool looking

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    There is a pair of discounted standard 189 Rx Blems for $600

Somebody buy them so I dont do something irrational. I’d like it as a touring ski, but ultimately want something a little looser and cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    When do you like the RX over your Bibbys? I have a set of Bibbys, thinking about getting a set of Moment PB&J or the skinny RX and I remember you have a similar setup.

Quote Originally Posted by spchin24 View Post
    When do you like the RX over your Bibbys? I have a set of Bibbys, thinking about getting a set of Moment PB&J or the skinny RX and I remember you have a similar setup.
    I havent skied the Wildcats yet, and it’s been a while since I have been on Bibbys. The differences you see on paper, pretty much describe the differences on snow

They are both very versatile and can be daily driven out west. They definitely overlap. Rx has a bit more of a pintail and it releases in heavy snow a little easier, although bibbys tail rocker and 27m radius doesnt get caught up in heavy snow either. The fatter tail on the bibby links up and carves a little easier on firm, but underfoot and through the tip, the Rx feels like it has a bit more grip. I have never skied a brand new, freshly tuned bibby though, so maybe the sharp edges of new wildcats are as grippy as Rx..

Both are loose enough in soft or heavy snow, but also chargey and grippy on firm snow. Mount points are a little noticeable, -8 on Rx, -6 on Bibby, but not dramatically different. Rx feels like one of the more centered and balanced directional skis I have ever skied (I like), and the Bibby is one of the most directional feeling freestyle skis. If that makes sense.

In terms of speed and playfulness, I think they are close. Rx might be faster, because I have heavy #5 core, but Moment skis are fast as F! Bibby is more playful, but the Rx is still fun as F!

I will be comparing the two more this year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Awesome, thanks for the detailed comparison Betel. I have a set of Bibby Tours so was thinking of either getting a Wildcat for resort use but I've also been curious about the RX.

TBH since I'm in CO I'm probably better off with the PB&J or skinny RX, I think the Wildcat and normal RX are too fat.

Quote Originally Posted by spchin24 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the detailed comparison Betel. I have a set of Bibby Tours so was thinking of either getting a Wildcat for resort use but I've also been curious about the RX.

TBH since I'm in CO I'm probably better off with the PB&J or skinny RX, I think the Wildcat and normal RX are too fat.
    You have your quiver mentality the wrong way around... you're supposed to buy skis for the conditions you wish you skied the most, not the conditions you actually ski the most in

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    You have your quiver mentality the wrong way around... you're supposed to buy skis for the conditions you wish you skied the most, not the conditions you actually ski the most in
    I've bought fat skis the past few seasons and then they end up being low snow years. I figure if I buy skinny skis then it will snow a ton this year and then I can use all my fat skis!

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    MVPs arrived a while ago. Never posted a photo. 183 enduro, ambrosia veneer, 3+, touring setup. If they fail that, park and bumps. Rocker is subtle. Need some g3 zeds...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4152.JPG 
Views:	804 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	245556
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanmells View Post

Really like the builds on these. Ultimate do it alls. Visual stunners

Looking at those MVPs, skipping this year's sale has been borderline gut wrenching. That looks like a perfect layup for one of those days after having pounded the crap out of yourself.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music