Page 71 of 121 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3008
    That sounds like a great build for that ski

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Just wanted to say how fun the piste jibs are. 184, heavy veneer 3+ flex. So versatile, damp, yet playful. Perfect low tide ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Same build as yours plus carbon. And I agree with your review. Steep moguls quick short turns on the edge of the trial or in the woods
    Also big turns on open terrain it does it all.
    I brought these as my second ski on a trip to Utah last year and used it every day. In one to two feet of blower pow and it was a blast to be able to ski in the snow not above it and still have every turn shape available. Only negative was a really edge high base that needed to be fixed and it was off to the races.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

So skied the protest 192 yesterday in 2-3 feet of light pow and yeah they are that good. Also great on groomers. Great work Keith!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611587711.704639.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	359587

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by whyturn; 01-25-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by jmills View Post
    I’m 6’2 215lbs and got a 4 flex Protest in 192 before the season started.
    I had them out at the Bird yesterday and a handful of times as Alta with one being being a pow-chop day and the others skiing groomers hoping it would snow.
    The couple laps I got yesterday before bailing were incredible. After skiing some firm-ish bumps on Friday then hitting the same run untracked yesterday, they popped from one bump to the next. They blast through chop almost too easy.
    I’m in SLC with a 309 BSL, if you have a BSL close to that and want to give them a try PM me. I should be up LCC every weekday this week by the lunchtime at the latest

Attachment 359539
    Attachment 359542
    One thing they suck at is waiting in 1 hour lines.
    Attachment 359540
    Attachment 359541

That fucking line! holy shit.... That's so sick though these seem like the perfect catherine's ski.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Delightful design and use of the custom work options within the catalog. I also want one...

I would also seriously consider this sort of camber tweak to the FRS. The rocker sections are SO long on that ski, shortening them slightly to add compound camber would make sense to me.
    yyyup or a bibby w/ deathwish camber...

flyingskiguy - this is an absolutely awesome build. my interest would be in a longer, damper version. Would you say that this build carves better than a normal q would? Or i guess than a #3 UL q would?

I haven't noticed much discussion here on edge bevels. As we know the edges come out of Praxis 1:1. I have been skiing my new 9D8s without touching the edges other than a tip and tail detune from contact point out. Today for a change up I skied my K2 MB108TIs. Holy shit, way better edging, WTF thought I, then remember MB108TI has 1.5:2.0 edge bevels. Needless to say the 9D8s are getting a 2* side bevel put them on this afternoon.

Any one else changing the "stock" bevels?

I did on my SnD and it was a fantastic change for that specific ski. Went 2*

Skied the 9D8s today with the new 2* side bevel. Wow what a difference. No more sliding around on the skied out groomers. Grips like an SOB. Work just fine in the moguled out trees as well.

Took the 187 MVP out for it's shakedown cruise today. Heavy hitter, cherry veneer with carbon, mounted on the dot. 2 dimensional snow and typical crustiness associated with midwest ski areas. Praxis sharp edges got a light gummy and tapered sections got stoned.

Felt right at home on the first turn, no warming up to it, just get on and go. Nice. Calm and quiet on rough, icy chopped-up groomer chunder. Quick and easy, nice smooth turn initiation into any size turn.

Name:	B72E09AB-5317-4A90-BE2C-C3B672939830_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	657.7 KB 
ID:	360382

Can't wait to get them out west for some real action.

Great do it all ski. Looks and sounds like a sweet build

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Skuff, those sound totally dangerous. Send then out to me for safe disposal. You're welcome!

Something tells me that I need to experiment on a Flex 2+ veneer or Flex 3- ptex 183 MVP 109 as a not-bulletproof, not-deep resort daily driver ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Great do it all ski. Looks and sounds like a sweet build

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks, it feels very comfortable on firm snow. What it really needs is a deep snow experiment someplace outside the midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Skuff, those sound totally dangerous. Send then out to me for safe disposal. You're welcome!
    ha

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Something tells me that I need to experiment on a Flex 2+ veneer or Flex 3- ptex 183 MVP 109 as a not-bulletproof, not-deep resort daily driver ...
    I had a 4 flex MVP and the change to a 3+ made the ski more user friendly for me. With this build, the carbon gives it some added pop, fun fun fun.

I have always wondered about the Praxis flex rating system. How much does it vary ski "model" to ski "model"? I have the 9D8 with the "Heavy Hitter" #4 flex core. I don't find it to be a particularly stiff ski. Certainly not as stiff as my BGs or Woodsmans.

When I was ordering it Keith asked me what skis I currently have in he said the #4 would be about like my Mindbender 108s. He was spot on.

As I'm planing on picking up a pair of BGs, probably going to move my 187 veneer GPOs. Love these skis, but trying to stick to a one in one out rule for ski purchases. Any interest here before I make a proper FS thread? Mounted with Wardens for 305 BSL at -1. 1.5 mounts at the toe, 2 at the heel. Great shape, probably thinking $400 with wardens, $300 without, local in Colorado very much preferred.

Name:	20201103_130230.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	360469

Name:	20201103_130255.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	360470
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201103_130230.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	360468  

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    I had a 4 flex MVP and the change to a 3+ made the ski more user friendly for me.
    Yeah I’m 5’ 8” 135 lbs and generally like a 178-182 cm ski. I can’t stomach the idea of a 173, but then most people on the 183 have about 35-50 lbs on me and way more years of skiing experience and muscle memory ... so I think the 2+ veneer or 3- glass/ptex might be the sweet spot for me. I had a flex 3 veneer GPO that was great when I was skiing perfectly and too much for me when I wasn’t on it 100% (ended up selling it to N1CK, am curious to hear his experience once he mounts it up).

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I have always wondered about the Praxis flex rating system. How much does it vary ski "model" to ski "model"? I have the 9D8 with the "Heavy Hitter" #4 flex core. I don't find it to be a particularly stiff ski. Certainly not as stiff as my BGs or Woodsmans.

When I was ordering it Keith asked me what skis I currently have in he said the #4 would be about like my Mindbender 108s. He was spot on.
    I wonder how much of that needs to be scaled by waist width, or if he already accounts for that? Like I wonder if the flex number for a given core blank sets his thickness profile but isn’t really scaled by width? So a skinnier ski having the same exact core thickness profile as a wider ski may feel less overall modulus under the same load. Probably something we should ask Keith about.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I wonder how much of that needs to be scaled by waist width, or if he already accounts for that? Like I wonder if the flex number for a given core blank sets his thickness profile but isn’t really scaled by width? So a skinnier ski having the same exact core thickness profile as a wider ski may feel less overall modulus under the same load. Probably something we should ask Keith about.
    When I asked Keith the question of whether the enduro core flex 4 GPO I was thinking of buying would have a different stiffness to the UL flex 4 BC I already had, he told me that they have a machine that measures the 'bendiness' of the skis, and the flex numbers are calibrated to that machine. So build of the ski shouldn't affect flex. If it says flex 4 on one model, that should be equivalent to a flex 4 on another model.

Re: people looking for a low tide ski: I convinced my father in law to try praxis during the pre-season sale (after decades exclusively skiing atomics). He bought the MVP94 heavy core in flex 2 since he's a smaller build, and fucking loves them. He's getting rid of all of his other skis. Based in Seattle.

That’s good to know. I’ll still ask him about his reference points for displacement ... if he’s just measuring deflection from a specific distance in front of and behind the mount point vs all the way to tip and tail. You need to take into account core profile and stiffness distribution in the various zones from tip to forefoot to underfoot, behind the heel, tail etc. I like soft tips and not too punishing stiffness in front of and behind the binding mount areas, but am totally fine with a stiff flex under binding.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    When I asked Keith the question of whether the enduro core flex 4 GPO I was thinking of buying would have a different stiffness to the UL flex 4 BC I already had, he told me that they have a machine that measures the 'bendiness' of the skis, and the flex numbers are calibrated to that machine. So build of the ski shouldn't affect flex. If it says flex 4 on one model, that should be equivalent to a flex 4 on another model.
    That answers my question. Very good to know.

Ordered a stock 192 protest because I'm a child and dont have any patience... Need another storm to roll in.

With that being said.. IM STOKED.

Quote Originally Posted by K1mJ0ngTr1ll View Post
    Ordered a stock 192 protest because I'm a child and dont have any patience... Need another storm to roll in.

With that being said.. IM STOKED.
    You will not be disappoint...

Yeah I’m 5’ 8” 135 lbs and generally like a 178-182 cm ski. I can’t stomach the idea of a 173, but then most people on the 183 have about 35-50 lbs on me and way more years of skiing experience and muscle memory ... so I think the 2+ veneer or 3- glass/ptex might be the sweet spot for me. I had a flex 3 veneer GPO that was great when I was skiing perfectly and too much for me when I wasn’t on it 100% (ended up selling it to N1CK, am curious to hear his experience once he mounts it up).
    The MVP looked perfect for me but I didn't enjoy the 4 flex for my skill level (wack), age (prehistoric), height/weight (tall/thin). I could ski on the 4 but the 3+ was more fun everywhere. Most noticeable skiing in the trees and deeper soft snow.

Got to ski the 9D8s in some snow yesterday (well snow for this year 4"/5") a couple early runs in some untracked then in clumped up. The 9D8s were superb and ripped both. Could go around, over, through what ever I wanted and remained composed. I really do like these skis.

The BCs took me for a late afternoon walkabout. Fantastic ski, amazing graphics (my crappy iPhone 6 doesn't do it justice and I have a shitty camera eye to boot), and the veneers have been impressively taking several beatings and are no worse for it. (Fyi, 180 cm, maple, enduro with carbon, #3).

Name:	IMG-7558.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	956.7 KB 
ID:	361018

Anyone else find that your GPO's start to beat you up on tighter, shorter resorts that get tracked out quickly... especially in heavier pow..maybe I just need to buck up and let the skis run more..

Going to A/B them vs my Husume's one of these days.