Page 8 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

I downloaded the Blister Gear Review, cause I’m looking for a new pair of pow skis, and low and behind what’s right in the middle of the pow Charger section, Praxis mofo Protests. I was looking at a bunch of other options, but instead I emailed Keith a list of questions about a custom pair of Protests. Stay tuned, the mad scientists are at it again...

Options I asked about were upping the flex to 4 and what core to use, how the Tsunami top sheet looks on one of the Birches, and could the base be all white with just Praxis in black.

Stay tuned folks, might need some codes to get this price done a bit! I’ll let you know when Keith gets back to me.

Side note, I’m excited, where is winter.

Sent you a pm -

Protests are incredibly versatile, nimble in the tightest trees but can charge as hard as you want to push them. Enduro core veneer is the way to go imo. 3 or 4 flex are both great options. Check the praxis Facebook page for pictures of different veneers too

If you want a little more hard charging big mountain ski the Praxis collab Lhasa Pow Fats available to special order could match your desires too.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Sent you a pm -

Protests are incredibly versatile, nimble in the tightest trees but can charge as hard as you want to push them. Enduro core veneer is the way to go imo. 3 or 4 flex are both great options. Check the praxis Facebook page for pictures of different veneers too
    Word! Can’t wait to ski my 192 enduro veneer flex 4’s.
    Love my 188’s as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Sent you a pm -

If you want a little more hard charging big mountain ski the Praxis collab Lhasa Pow Fats available to special order could match your desires too.
    Thanks, got your message and will respond.

I looked at the Lasha POWs but they are incredibly similar to my +10mm Freerides, and it doesn’t really make sense to get them, over lap and all.

The Super Freerides are enduro w/Carbon veneer 4 flex and are almost perfect, I just wish they were a little stiffer so to be a tad more versatile. I’m pretty sure I’ll go with the same build again.

It’s amazing how good the Protests are in everything from 2in of pow to overhead, mellow meadow skipping to steep tech, the harder you push them, they better they are.

It’s amazing, I had a pair of fairly beat Protests with 4 mounts, sold them for Shiros, and am going back. Guess I shouldn’t of gone to Shiros in the first place, just stuck with the Protests.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rocca View Post
    Got to unwrap these bad boys today! 182 UL Yeti, flex 3, with mountain sunrise on birds eye maple. 6.6 lbs for the pair on the bathroom scale. Apologies for the office clutter/glare and props to Muggy for the referral! Gave up on trying to rotate the photos. Now to ponder bindings....
    No exp, but I’ve heard good things about the newish solly mtn’s, be worth looking into I think. and yeah most folks seem to be digging the ions for the most part. Sweet sticks!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

ATKs - be they branded as ATK, Salomon or Atomic - are very well thought out quality products. It might be a lofty claim, but i think ATK has dethroned Dynafit for "classic" Dynafit design bindings with rotating heels and no elasticity up front, and makes a superior product that is light weight, dependable and works well - and priced well to boot.

I had a pair of Salomon MTNs with brakes last year on a pair of skis i bought to my mom and the bindings really impressed me. She ended up not wanting to go ski touring on rando gear in spite of my best efforts at persuading her that she should, and that a rando set up would make the entire experience more enjoyable, so ended up selling them - so no user feedback was provided on her part For that use i would 100% buy them again - ATKs and MTNs are dialed imo.

i am talking about these
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_365947259.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	249735

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    Nice! I have this same ski and graphic with G3 Ions. Love them for long tours and spring skiing. Maybe some G3 zeds or similar?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    No exp, but I’ve heard good things about the newish solly mtn’s, be worth looking into I think. and yeah most folks seem to be digging the ions for the most part. Sweet sticks!
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    ATKs - be they branded as ATK, Salomon or Atomic - are very well thought out quality products. It might be a lofty claim, but i think ATK has dethroned Dynafit for "classic" Dynafit design bindings with rotating heels and no elasticity up front, and makes a superior product that is light weight, dependable and works well - and priced well to boot.

I had a pair of Salomon MTNs with brakes last year on a pair of skis i bought to my mom and the bindings really impressed me. She ended up not wanting rando after all, so ended up selling them - so no user feedback was provided on her part For that use i would 100% buy them again - MTNs are dialed imo.
    Thanks guys! The MTNs and Zeds are the two highest on my list actually haha. Hopefully there's some user feedback on the Zeds soon.

hm - first time i've seen the Zeds. They look pretty spectacular as well imo - would def be willing to give those a go.

Not to turn this into a discussion of bindings - but i think G3 are a bit overly generous when referring to front tech bindings as having elasticity... Consistent hold and release could be a more honest description imo. There is simply no way in hell anybody can discern a difference between 4mm in "elasticity" with all the demonstrated curves being nigh on identical/similar in characteristics up to 54mm. I might be completely wrong of course, but i'm a calling it weak marketing sauce / evil graphs.

But please don't get me wrong - other than that they seem very impressive Man oh man, these are fine days to be an outdoorsman - so much spectacular equipment!

edit:
    This podcast was an pretty interesting listen. Zeds seem like a killer well thought out product and i would be very interested in trying them for long touring day missions
    http://blistergearreview.com/feature...the-new-g3-zed
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 10-06-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	253175

He’ll yeah! The kids skis are killer.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Nice!
    What all do you have going on there??

Some 131cm 102 under foot from the mold he made for Dean Cummings kids in the past.

Then some 143 le petite +10.

At times last year the kids would really bog down when it was armpit deep on them....

Lucky kids.

9D’s are for me.

Lucky me.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    ATKs - be they branded as ATK, Salomon or Atomic - are very well thought out quality products. It might be a lofty claim, but i think ATK has dethroned Dynafit for "classic" Dynafit design
    I love my ATK’s and I believe they are superior to the two pair of Dynafits I own, but I don’t believe they make the Salomon (or atomic version). Source?

Also “dethroned” is strong considering market share.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

sorry in advance for the off topic (praxis) reply:

i meant dethroned as in superior products, not as in units sold.

I cannot remember where i read that ATK manufactured MTNs. I might be mistaken, so by all means, if you have it from the solly/atomic that they indeed manufacture these bindings solely in-house, then post.

regardless, my personal opinion is that most ATKs and the MTN bindings are superior products to their respective competitors in the Dynafit lineup, and that brand standing rather than product superiority is why the folks over at Dynafit sell more units than the others (if they do). By all means, Dyna-binders are good as well, i just believe other products are better - hence the use of "dethroned". Vipecs/Tectons are far superior to radical/beasts for their intended uses - like not even close superior, admittedly not if you mind plastics.

ATK does not make Salomon bindings. Here's just one article to support this.
    https://www.wildsnow.com/15664/salom...-tech-binding/
    A few Praxis pics to get this back on track:

Name:	IMG_0319 2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	253372

Name:	IMG_6265 2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	253373

Name:	IMG_8379 2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	729.1 KB 
ID:	253374
    And you'll just have to trust that these are Le Petits under there:

Name:	FullSizeRender 8.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	253375

Quote Originally Posted by Referenced article
    Upon close examination, one has to wonder if these are actually made by ATK.
    yeah, i read that article prior to my previous reply. It does not address the matter at hand other than a generic statement saying that bindings are made in the facility they talk about.

Prior to being asked i was pretty confident that at least the toe was out sourced to ATK, but again - i might be mistaken. I will ask OneNerdyKid/Mat over at NS and chime back in after getting his reply. Sorry for the off topic replies.

Any thoughts as to why I shouldn't mount my Backcountry's on the recommended line? Looks reasonable eyeballing it, but want some first hand experience.

I like mine on the line. Nice and balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

These are so F N RAD, if you ever decide to sell those 131’s when they’re outgrown, PLEASE let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmells View Post
    Any thoughts as to why I shouldn't mount my Backcountry's on the recommended line? Looks reasonable eyeballing it, but want some first hand experience.
    I don’t have any backcountry’s but I do have a slight Praxis addiction problem and have played with mount points on several models. Every time I move a mount or mount a different pair I find my self getting closer to or right on the line. IME I’m finding out that Keith really has his mount points dialed. I do have a couple pair still mounted -1 that I absolutely dig but in all honesty I cannot see me liking them any less mounted on the line, where as I have had Praxis skis that I knew without a doubt I would’ve liked more mounted closer to or on the line. I could more into depth on this (esp as it applies to tip dive and soft snow perf) but feel like this was already overly long winded. Enjoy the bc’s!

If you like a traditional feel and really pressuring your shins I’d go -1. I like my brothers BC’s there. If they are going to be more hard snow biased the line will be a little quicker and easier to pivot.

I prefer all my Praxis skis -1 or so

I have my BC’s on the line as well. Like it. I would never go forward, maybe back 1 would be OK.

I preferred all my Praxis touring models (bc, yeti, exp) on the dimple. Yetis ended up at -.5 , because of boot change, and we’re still great.
    Gpo, concept, piste jib I needed at -1
    Protests at -1.5 were $

It's so tough to decide what to do with protests as so many claim to be fine on the dimple, and just as many are adamant that -1 to -2 is the way to go. This place can be such a great resource but can also lead to some serious paralysis by analysis.

Agreed, that’s why I make an attempt to put “I” in my post(I should’ve put it in parentheses)
    FTR I did have the protests and GPO’s on the dimple originally and had tip dive issues
    I also had my exp’s at -1 originally and they waundered and felt like there was no tail. Put them on the dimple and they’re magic.
    Skis with their design so tweaked with rocker and taper and tip to tail measurements don’t leave a lot of room to move the mounts a ton for personal preference. They’re so dialed that little changes can have a fair bit of effect I think. I’ve found what works for me and may not work for others but maybe they can relate where my other skis are mounted to where theirs are on the same ski and use tgat as a barometer for other skis that they’re mounting that I’ve had. Can be a head scratcher though

The one thing I'll say is I'm not sure I've ever heard someone who skied Protests both on the dimple, and -1 to -2, and then say they preferred the dimple (may be wrong about that though).

People either go the line and keep it there, go -1 and keep it there, or go on the line, then move back to -1 and then keep it there (I'm in the 3rd group).