Page 6 of 121 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I'll try to get my hands on a decent scale. Both skis impressively light to the hand, but the UL protest feels remarkable. Cant wait for the snow to fly!

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

I thought I would dig the Dino, but damn I am officially a fan now, but ooooh dem Protests, jeeez.... yeah, agreed, sick builds!!!

Speaking of, how has no one jumped on Grinch’s exp’s!?!??
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    I thought I would dig the Dino, but damn I am officially a fan now, but ooooh dem Protests, jeeez.... yeah, agreed, sick builds!!!

Speaking of, how has no one jumped on Grinch’s exp’s!?!??
    Yes I still have them. Thought they’d be long gone at that price. Hadn’t bumped them in a while, was in a discussion with a mag that was really interested but the overseas logistics didn’t work. I boxed them for a quote and said I’d probably procrastinate for a bit before I unboxed for possible local sale if he gets his address thingy locked down overseas. They’re still for sale
    Did you sell your ul gpo’s yet?

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Attachment 247899

skis showed up today. To say I'm stoked would be a very sizable understatement.

#4 yeti Enduro w/carbon on karelian birch veneer, dino graphic
    #4+ protest UL on birds eye maple with lion graphic
    Those lions are gentle on the eyes

Splash of red gold and green in the trees my mind playing tricks on me?
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Those lions are gentle on the eyes

Splash of red gold and green in the trees my mind playing tricks on me?
    i hadn't noticed the tree matching the ski. nice eye!

Livi’n up yourself magical super sticks.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Did you sell your ul gpo’s yet?
    Negative. Damn shame, super sweet touring sticks (exps n gpos)! Gear swap been killin it though this fall. Hahaha!! It’s fall!? C’mon snow!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Negative. Damn shame, super sweet touring sticks (exps n gpos)! Gear swap been killin it though this fall. Hahaha!! It’s fall!? C’mon snow!!!!!
    Ya that’d be a choice 2 ski touring quiver

Attachment 247924

Snagged these suckaz for well under $300. Still a lot of life left in them. Flex is snappy AF, although they dont have a lot of camber. If I dont like, they will move down the line.. only one mount, and I’m going to reuse the heel holes.

193 MVP Heavy Core #5. Their hand flex characteristics feel almost exactly the same as my Rx! So stoked I could save a bunch of money on this layup, I never thought it’d be possible.

This is definitely one of those graphix that doesnt look as good on camera as it does in person. Looking at them here, the Jackalope on the bottom of the graphic really sticks out at you. It takes center stage.

The big dawg approves too! He said they are big enough for him. He goes full Aever, he’s way more Aever than I could ever be.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Attachment 247924

Snagged these suckaz for well under $300. Still a lot of life left in them. Flex is snappy AF, although they dont have a lot of camber. If I dont like, they will move down the line.. only one mount, and I’m going to reuse the heel holes.

193 MVP Heavy Core #5. Their hand flex characteristics feel almost exactly the same as my Rx! So stoked I could save a bunch of money on this layup, I never thought it’d be possible.

This is definitely one of those graphix that doesnt look as good on camera as it does in person. Looking at them here, the Jackalope on the bottom of the graphic really sticks out at you. It takes center stage.

The big dawg approves too! He said they are big enough for him. He goes full Aever, he’s way more Aever than I could ever be.

Good find!
    I'm guessing you'll love them, and am very curious to hear a comparison to your RX. My MVPs are only 187 #4, and not heavy core. Very versatile skis (and never had more than a mm or two of camber).

Good score. Sounds like a keeper. Chargy playful combo

If I had customized a pair this spring, I was planning on going heavy core #3+, and probably still would do that since I wanted a bit more playful and jibby ski than the Rx.

I am still stoked on these, I will learn more about how to actually customize my pair when I finally do my own MVP. I dont think I can jib hard or big enough for them. They feel almost like comp skis. I know I can ski them, and I think they’ll make great “playful chargers”, but a slow to medium speed jib ski they are not. This decently used and drilled pair feels slightly stiffer and heavier than my Brand New Wildcats(Bibbys) did before bindings IIRC. They seem like what Tabke would ride, when he wants to throw huge backies and 3s off 40 footers.

I might even really like this flex, and want to do it again in a few years, so really glad I could save money and experiment. That’s really what these are for me, a tester ski. Testing the mount, the flex, and overall versatility. Unless they are plug and slay, then I’ll slay em’ a lot this season of course. Let’s see if they can contend with the Champion, Le Rx

These 193s measure 190.5cm

Maybe I should mount the MVPs with demo bindings, so I can test a few mounts? Then the resale goes way down, but it might be worth it to test them out thoroughly.
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 09-20-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Can’t lose at that price. Might be like my piste jibs. So fun I wanted a 3- and a 4

Attachment 247969

49.5 days until Mammoth opens!

Attachment 247924

Dibs if (or should I say when ) you decide to sell these. I thought they would be a great replacement for my 193 Gunsmokes a year or two back and didn’t pull the trigger, probably should of.

I wonder if the skinny RX 5 flex enduro w/ carbon would be a better everyday sidecountry ski then my super (+10) Freerides 4 flex enduro w/ carbon. Hum...

I did pick up a pair of 4 flex enduro 194 Freerides at the end of the season, but I haven’t been able to get on them yet. They feel soft, not noodlie soft, but not what I usually like.

Snows coming soon enough

Attachment 247969

Hawtness... seriously, great looking quiver that makes sense, nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Dibs if (or should I say when ) you decide to sell these. I thought they would be a great replacement for my 193 Gunsmokes a year or two back and didn’t pull the trigger, probably should of.

I wonder if the skinny RX 5 flex enduro w/ carbon would be a better everyday sidecountry ski then my super (+10) Freerides 4 flex enduro w/ carbon. Hum...

I did pick up a pair of 4 flex enduro 194 Freerides at the end of the season, but I haven’t been able to get on them yet. They feel soft, not noodlie soft, but not what I usually like.

Snows coming soon enough
    Whats your height and weight? Im 6ft 170, and keith suggested 4 flex in my RX 189. Havent skied them yet either, and dont have a ton of experience with Praxis flexes, but they hand flex a touch softer than I expected too. Should we have done a 4.5 flex or 5 flex?

Also, whats the best to do a hand flex test of a ski? Vertically standing up, or horizontally on the table. I've been told horizontally is more accurate. For these, vertically definitely feels more medium flex, horizontally feels more stiff.

Snows coming soon enough
    Self Jupiter already has provisional dibs! You are second in line tho, if I dont like em. I doubt that

I think the 189 Rx would be better in tight trees and inbounds moguls for you. It would be a short ski for you though. Mine are right on the line for me, and your taller and like bigger skis. I like them that way though, incredibly maneuverable but still has plenty of backbone and stability with heavy core #5

Regular Rx in enduro is actually lighter (or at least as light) than MVP enduro. And the regular kills it in any conditions. I wouldnt want that (almost) pintail feel in the 106mm waist ski, thats why I didnt grab Down SD 202s but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Did you grab stock 194 Freerides? I thought the stock freerides were Maple/Ash heavy core? I have skied heavy #4 -Qs, and they skied stiffer than they handflex. All praxis I have tried ski stiffer than they hand flex.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Whats your height and weight? Im 6ft 170, and keith suggested 4 flex in my RX 189. Havent skied them yet either, and dont have a ton of experience with Praxis flexes, but they hand flex a touch softer than I expected too. Should we have done a 4.5 flex or 5 flex?

Also, whats the best to do a hand flex test of a ski? Vertically standing up, or horizontally on the table. I've been told horizontally is more accurate. For these, vertically definitely feels more medium flex, horizontally feels more stiff.

My experience with Praxis (2 pair heavy core MPV, 1 @ 4 flex and the other @ 3) has been that they hand flex slightly softer than they ski. Still loving the 3 and sold the 4. Me: old man (doesn't yell at clouds) 6' 2" 175 lbs.

Flex technique for me is the horizontal method jdadour mentions. Place ski tail contact point on a table or countertop, hold the tip contact point the same height off the ground as the tail, and flex the middle section.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    My experience with Praxis (2 pair heavy core MPV, 1 @ 4 flex and the other @ 3) has been that they hand flex slightly softer than they ski. Still loving the 3 and sold the 4. Me: old man (doesn't yell at clouds) 6' 2" 175 lbs.

Flex technique for me is the horizontal method jdadour mentions. Place ski tail contact point on a table or countertop, hold the tip contact point the same height off the ground as the tail, and flex the middle section.
    Thanks for your input. Seems like the horizontal method is more accurate. When I do it that way, only flexing from the contact points, they feel stiff. Those are the parts of the ski that will actually be flexing on the snow. When doing it vertically or flexing from the outer parts of the tips and tails, it feels softer because the flex is softer further out there.

4 flex hand flexes really solid. Feels right!

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Jdadour, I think you’ll be happy with #4 at 170lbs

I grabbed my non-fat Freerides off eBay, and they came 4 flex enduro core. Not sure how that compare to what Kieth usually offers. They might of been a season or two old, hence why I got them for $400.

I’d really like something 190-193 long, 105-110 wide for noodling around in trees. I did notice a slight lack of maneuverability at times on my big skis last winter, but only in snow where I couldn’t break the tails free to slarve.

Concept

New Sticks

The newest additions to our Praxis family all showed up. My wife's first pair of custom BC's (built out to be all day resort guys). My third and fourth to go along with some custom BC's (touring rig) and custom GPO's that are both a few years in.
    • Hers - 170 BC - 3+ Enduro build - Ibex - Ambrosia Maple
      Mine - 188 RX-10 - 4+ Enduro build - Reindeer - Quilted Bubinga
      Mine - 192 Protest - 4 Enduro with Carbon build - Forest - Birds Eye Maple

The wood grain is amazing, the build quality is better than ever, and they are practically art. I cannot believe how good they all turned out. Keith and his guys are just magicians.
    To say that I am excited would be the biggest understatement since slick Willy claims he did not have sexual relations with that woman.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3707.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	428.9 KB 
ID:	248623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3709.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	443.2 KB 
ID:	248622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3714.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	386.9 KB 
ID:	248621  

So many people going -10 RX. I can't wait to hear how they ski!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos