Page 55 of 121 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Has anyone on here had any experience with the MVP 94? Father in law is interested for a 75% piste/25% off piste daily driver around Seattle.
    Its a new ski. I havent checked the numbers but the regular 109 mvp is a 4flex +1 piste jib. Piste jib is 3 flex and 99 underfoot. I really liked the piste jib everywhere and could go 3 or 4 flex. Maybe me think of a +1 mvp 94 as an option for my do it all(104 underfoot and 4 flex)

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Just to add to what Grinch already said, there’s a little more info here...
    https://www.praxisskis.com/experimen...tal-184-94-18/
    There’s no spec sheet that I can find but full camber, no rocker, and shorter turn radius than the PJ. Sounds like it could be a really good 75/25 ski for someone not trying to be real playful.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by s-domini View Post
    How loose do you find SKI tails? Can you flick sideways fairly easily? Or do you find them more locked in?

I’m starting over my Tahoe quiver and am debating FRD, MVP, or SKI to replace Fischer Ranger 102s as daily driver. And if SKI is quick to pivot it gets the nod I think.
    Yes, the SKI tail is very easy for me to break loose. I can't think they'd feel as loose as a ski with a more twin shape.
    Here are pics of a 186cm Enforcer 104 Free (L) next to the 185cm SKI (R). Aren't the Nordicas very similar to the Ranger?
    The Enforcer rocker runs deeper as you can see. Personally I can draw quite a few comparisons between these skis. Both quite stable in chop and crud, both damp, neither a great deep pow ski but both float and cut through/over anything soft just fine, similar radius on both. The SKI has less rocker and doesn't have much (any?) taper so it feels like it has a longer running length to me.

Mine are 185 Heavy core + carbon, nylon tops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tips.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	784.3 KB 
ID:	325704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tails.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	634.8 KB 
ID:	325705  

Thanks for getting back on these deets. I’ll respond in full in a day or two and post Ranger pics.

Work is all consuming right now which is a good thing I gues

Bumping for Praxis custom sale

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Yes, the SKI tail is very easy for me to break loose. I can't think they'd feel as loose as a ski with a more twin shape.
    Here are pics of a 186cm Enforcer 104 Free (L) next to the 185cm SKI (R). Aren't the Nordicas very similar to the Ranger?
    The Enforcer rocker runs deeper as you can see. Personally I can draw quite a few comparisons between these skis. Both quite stable in chop and crud, both damp, neither a great deep pow ski but both float and cut through/over anything soft just fine, similar radius on both. The SKI has less rocker and doesn't have much (any?) taper so it feels like it has a longer running length to me.

Mine are 185 Heavy core + carbon, nylon tops.
    Those profile/rocker pics are a huge buzz kill for that SKI IMO

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Those profile/rocker pics are a huge buzz kill for that SKI IMO
    why? All skis aren't supposed to be giant pow shapes.
    when decambered at the dot, that tip rise, albeit low rise, runs like 10-12 inches. This is a more traditional, midfat ski, and it does ski great.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    why? All skis aren't supposed to be giant pow shapes.
    when decambered at the dot, that tip rise, albeit low rise, runs like 10-12 inches. This is a more traditional, midfat ski, and it does ski great.
    I bet it does ski great, considering it's basically a short radius RX. Could have taken the contact points in the tip and tail a few cm toward center and smoothed out the rocker to make it more playful, which is what I'd be looking for in a 19M ski. I don't think it would have a large negative effect on edge hold either.

How has the mvp held up to the last ~8 years of other manufacturers making mid fats? I'm looking for a skinny ski for fuckaround days. I ski 188 q's pretty much every inbounds day, protests for super deep. 5'10, 185, athletic.

Want something that wants to pop off of everything, was even considering going down to like a 183 to spin more and get back to a more lively style of skiing. I demo'd wildcat 108s in a 190 last year, want something a little more playful so probably looks at pbjs's or mvp's. I had meridians to do this and they were fun and loose, but want more pop and playfulness. Sold em as I didn't actually end up skiing them - always reached for q's.

Piste jib, heavy core, carbon in a 184 might be great for that. I’m on a pair of 184 heavy/veneer/3.5 flex. So far I really liked them, very quick, good energy, yet still damp.

I’m your size, and also ski Qs and protests. I’d think mvp would have too much overlap with the Qs.

There are poppier skis out there, ON3P Jeffrey is worth a look

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    How has the mvp held up to the last ~8 years of other manufacturers making mid fats? I'm looking for a skinny ski for fuckaround days. I ski 188 q's pretty much every inbounds day, protests for super deep. 5'10, 185, athletic.

Want something that wants to pop off of everything, was even considering going down to like a 183 to spin more and get back to a more lively style of skiing. I demo'd wildcat 108s in a 190 last year, want something a little more playful so probably looks at pbjs's or mvp's. I had meridians to do this and they were fun and loose, but want more pop and playfulness. Sold em as I didn't actually end up skiing them - always reached for q's.
    I've been on a custom 3+ flex, enduro with nylon, 193 MVP from 13/14, mounted -1cm from the dimple. Just ordered a pair of heavy, carbon, veneer 187 MVP to replace the 193.

The 193 has 2mm of camber, which didn't seem to give the ski much pop, but was still fun all over the mountain. Excellent grip on icy patches with decent float in deeper snow, but too long for my skills in tight trees. Maybe they would feel a little more playful mounted on the line. Therefore, 187 coming... Keith's redesign has more camber (4mm), which I think will add pop, plus the carbon will help with that.

I'm not a hard charger, but enjoy some speed and the MVP can easily handle it. It's really a fun ski everywhere inbounds.

Never tried the Wildcat 108, so can't compare for you. But I love my 12/13 190 Bibby Pro and will bring that and the MVP when I travel.
    Last edited by skuff; 05-14-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post

I got veneer 193 MVPs as my daily driver for resort and touring. People have had other experiences, but to me they lack pop and playfulness. While they have been totally confidence inspiring on ice, uber steeps, and cliffs, I haven't found them to be especially poppy or playful. I like the ski for when I'm going to be pushing my limits in the backcountry but when I'm looking to jib on everything in the resort, I wouldn't grab this. I'm thinking the Jeffery might do this well. I've also considered mounting the MVPs forward in hopes of making them more playful (currently on the line).

P.S. love my prophets and still a praxis fanboy

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

I’ll throw in my 2cents just to keep my favorite thread going. May have already said this somewhere but hell idk... MVP’s are badass sticks for sure, I bought mine thinking the same as the couple comments above, I wanted something fun, playful, parky, easy to turn, and still have the ability to charge anywhere whenever I needed them to, they REALLY check the last box!! I wanted a ski that was easy to ski for skiing with the kids but could also handle park, bumps, spring conditions, low tide and really just be able to ski for real laps when the kids weren’t around. They do all of that. I built them fairly short and at a little lighter flex than I would normally ride, but I found myself skiing these A LOT without kids. I (like pretty much everyone else) found them not so playful, these skis aren’t that, they’re no shit for real chargers. That being said the more I’ve broken them in and detuned em, the more playful they’ve become without losing any chargability. No they’re not super playful but holy shit do they deliver. I can fully appreciate what these are built for, mostly Freeride folks trying to make the big mtn their playground and win comps. At the end of the day these skis do exactly what I wanted them to do and should have expected them to do, I just expected them to be much more playful and after plenty of time on them I think the playfulness vs versatility is spot on. Going by my original thinking I would’ve most likely gon with a Kartel but I’m VERY happy with what I ended up with, it did take A LOT of days and some detuning to come up with that conclusion though.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    I’ll throw in my 2cents just to keep my favorite thread going. May have already said this somewhere but hell idk... MVP’s are badass sticks for sure, I bought mine thinking the same as the couple comments above, I wanted something fun, playful, parky, easy to turn, and still have the ability to charge anywhere whenever I needed them to, they REALLY check the last box!! I wanted a ski that was easy to ski for skiing with the kids but could also handle park, bumps, spring conditions, low tide and really just be able to ski for real laps when the kids weren’t around. They do all of that. I built them fairly short and at a little lighter flex than I would normally ride, but I found myself skiing these A LOT without kids. I (like pretty much everyone else) found them not so playful, these skis aren’t that, they’re no shit for real chargers. That being said the more I’ve broken them in and detuned em, the more playful they’ve become without losing any chargability. No they’re not super playful but holy shit do they deliver. I can fully appreciate what these are built for, mostly Freeride folks trying to make the big mtn their playground and win comps. At the end of the day these skis do exactly what I wanted them to do and should have expected them to do, I just expected them to be much more playful and after plenty of time on them I think the playfulness vs versatility is spot on. Going by my original thinking I would’ve most likely gon with a Kartel but I’m VERY happy with what I ended up with, it did take A LOT of days and some detuning to come up with that conclusion though.
    I already gave my 2 cents above and agree with what was said and wanted to echo 2 things: These skis were built for making the big mountain your play ground and they ski like it. The skis ski better once they're broken in and detuned (in my opinion).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'll third the detune aspect, I used a swix ceramic stone heavily on the tapered sections

If you want an MVP to be playful, order it in Flex 3. It's a great ski, but it's more of a twin-tipped charger than a big mountain jib ski in the stock flex. Those are my $0.02 as someone who has 100+ days on a pair of MVP's, but as I've mentioned before, I'm short and light: 5'7" 155 pounds. Clydesdales, feel free to disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    If you want an MVP to be playful, order it in Flex 3. It's a great ski, but it's more of a twin-tipped charger than a big mountain jib ski in the stock flex. Those are my $0.02 as someone who has 100+ days on a pair of MVP's, but as I've mentioned before, I'm short and light: 5'7" 155 pounds. Clydesdales, feel free to disregard.
    This.

I've skied a standard build 4 flex 193 MVP for a couple of years, then bought a 193 with a slightly softer flex, 3.5. The softer flex is more user friendly for me. 6' 2" 175lbs. Getting a 187 MVP heavy carbon veneer with 3.5 flex for a more old man friendly tight tree, everywhere else ski.
    Last edited by skuff; 05-17-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I'm inching towards a critical mass of skis where she can't keep track of all of them and I'm forever in the clear. The promised land.
    Well, she noticed my new Renegades, so I'm clearly not there yet.

What kind of ski am I looking at as a 184 FRD in 3 flex? A fan of Katanas and have a pair of 182 GPOs that I really enjoy. They look like they'd rip, but I don't want something that's much of a truck/straightliner. Would going from a 4 to a 3 "playful" them up a bit?

Praxis' come with a 1/1 edge bevel from the factory. Does everyone run them 1/1 or are folks playing with the bevel? Same query I have of the ON3P crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Praxis' come with a 1/1 edge bevel from the factory. Does everyone run them 1/1 or are folks playing with the bevel? Same query I have of the ON3P crowd.
    I keep the 1/1 on my skis, they grip and release just fine with that tune

I’d prefer 1 base 2 side, but for me it’s not worth the time to change the side bevel in a new ski. I’m more in it for the soft snow performance anyways, there’s not a big difference

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lots of MVP discussion going on so thought I would shamelessly cross-post my gear swap sale:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...raxis-MVPs-187

Is the FRS the ski the RX should have been? I really don't need skis but I'm pushing a friend to pick up GPOs from the sale and the FRS caught my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Is the FRS the ski the RX should have been? I really don't need skis but I'm pushing a friend to pick up GPOs from the sale and the FRS caught my attention.
    No. The RX is perfect for what it is intended for and it’s been on A LOT of podiums. Tons of folks use it as a daily driver and it’s phenomenal in multiple conditions. FRS looks super fun, I personally haven’t skied it but I do have a lot of experience on the 109 MVP, but it’s a completely different animal. I would feel very comfortable saying the MVP before the FRS changes skied more like the RX than the current FRS and it definitely had different intentions and style than the RX. I have very limited time on the RX but it’s a baaaaad ski. #1 rule of Praxis club is you do NOT badmouth the RX. FWIW, FRS looks fun AF and I do want a pair, just completely different skis.