Page 32 of 121 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Piste Jib owners - any input on mount point? So far I’ve liked all my praxis skis between -1 to -2cm behind the line. Go -1 on the piste jibs too? Got the 184 heavy/veneer layup 3+ flex for a fun all mountain hard snow ski. Dont ski switch much. Tend to vary style between driving tips and ball of foot driving stance depending on conditions and how I’m feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Muggydude; 11-29-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Nice build on them. Sounds like how i used mine. -1 was perfect for me

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I have 184s, veneer MAP 3 flex and I like them on the line but I haven’t experimented with it. I can steer from either ball of foot or drive the tips. Drive the tips and they’ll hook up and carve on groomers. 5’7’’ 185-90 , use them as an ice coast DD. Finally got them in a little powder recently and they handled the 3-6’’ nicely.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 11-29-2019 at 04:17 PM.

I have 184s and they're mounted at -1. If I remounted them I'd put them at -1.5

184s, 3 flex. I had sellers remorse after selling mine to Self Jupiter and picked up another used pair.
    Mounted less than -1 for heel hole conflict, ski great there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191129_101451.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	304169  

Man id love some heavy veneer 3+'s. Just sayin. Bit jelly i am

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

My pair of PJs must be an anomaly, been struggling to dial them for 2 years now. I've skied lots of skis and on paper they look great to me but honestly have not liked them at all. Build is a heavy+carbon+veneer in 3 flex, mounted on da line.

Probably start out this season with a new base grind, if I can't find the sweet spot the first couple days they'll be in gear swap.

I should say they are a fun spring bump/corn ski, expecting more out of them than that though.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    My pair of PJs must be an anomaly, been struggling to dial them for 2 years now. I've skied lots of skis and on paper they look great to me but honestly have not liked them at all. Build is a heavy+carbon+veneer in 3 flex, mounted on da line.

Probably start out this season with a new base grind, if I can't find the sweet spot the first couple days they'll be in gear swap.

I should say they are a fun spring bump/corn ski, expecting more out of them than that though.
    Mine came out of the plastic very edge high.
    In soft snow they were great but on the firm they were very squirrelly and needed full attention to avoid a fall.
    A base grind really balanced out the whole ride.

Did you try detuning the shit out of them?

PJ 184 - Nylon/C - on the line. I too fine this ski squirrely when to sharp.....but then a good ole parking lot edge stoning is in order. These were the first praxis I have received that were ginsu knife sharp....to much but no biggie IMO.....if it was would we really be return to buy more? This is TGR!

On the ski, at first I’ll admit I wasn’t in love but this was my fault, I was expecting the ski to finish a turn longer...not the case, you can lay it down but the turned up tail and side cut I find like a shallower turn at speed. This ski destroys it in the bumps/trees IMO, this is where my enjoyment actually started then I enjoyed them on groomers.

I very much like the PJ now and it’s my spring ski go to, thats actually why I bought it but I found its incredibly versatile and shines all over. A real jack of many trades IMO....but I feel this way about many Praxis ski which is a positive.

I had my first day on my new concepts yesterday at Mammoth. Very positive experience overall. I think I'm going to really love them once I remember how to use skis and get my legs back. I was having a bit trouble the transitioning from edge to edge while carving. They would shift direction very easily if I turned from the tails/center in deep snow but not while trying to drive the tips. I'm mounted at -1.5cm from the dot. Could this be tune related? I didn't touch them from the factory. Maybe I need to detune the tips a bit? It could be related to a number of other factors: just moved from out east and this is the widest ski I have ever been on by far, I don't know how to ski, my legs are weak from the offseason, I'm using them wrong, etc. Just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience that was affected by tunes. I'm used tuning race skis not powder

I'd reset your base bevels before grinding(no reason to grind life from the ski if you don't have too) and bring a stone to the hill for any detuning you may need.

Davjr, My standard detune for praxis skis involves diamond stone rounding edge from tips and tails to about 2in past the contact points (with less pressure as you move towards the stop point). Then light gummy past that and generally a few passes on the entire edge length with gummy.

Concepts a little trickier to detune, I’d probably lightly detune all through the camber pods/contact points with a gummy at least.

I like more detune skis though, vs Uber sharp. I found the concepts to behave as you described overall though - they hook up for longer gs style carves with heavy tip pressure, but when skied with a more centered stance you can make very quick short turns and slashes. 3D snow they can maybe most turn shapes with ease, I still think they want a more centered stance for the sweet spot

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My standard process evolved from a stone to a file to now I just use my dremel to round off the edge of the tip, tail and entire reverse sidecut portions of each, leaving some semblance of an edge once I get close to the widest point, then going with a hard stone to soften to 1-2 cm inside of the widest point on the tip and 3-4 cm inside of the widest point on the tail, and a bit with the gummi stone a bit past there.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

OK decided to sell my 194 Quixotes due to quiver overlap. See sig.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Scored a good deal on some P12s during the sales, so Concepts are getting re-mounted this year (they sat on the bench last year as I re-purposed their bindings for my Qs). They will get their first shop grind and tune since buying. Super excited to be back on them.

Muggy, could you explain your thoughts on the de-tune advice? I'll probably just spend a day on the hill with a Gummy trying shit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Scored a good deal on some P12s during the sales, so Concepts are getting re-mounted this year (they sat on the bench last year as I re-purposed their bindings for my Qs). They will get their first shop grind and tune since buying. Super excited to be back on them.

Muggy, could you explain your thoughts on the de-tune advice? I'll probably just spend a day on the hill with a Gummy trying shit out.

Started out using a gummy to detune both of the Praxis skis I've owned and should've just started with a stone. For me, the gummy wasn't enough tool to make noticeable changes on the tapered areas of the tips and tails. But the gummy was noticeable under foot, along the sidecut.

Apparently my detuning post, 3 posts up, #789 isn't credible enough? Just ask any of the other Praxii owners here if I'm being extreme!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Apparently my detuning post, 3 posts up, #789 isn't credible enough? Just ask any of the other Praxii owners here if I'm being extreme!
    ^^^ +1 for your general technique ^^^

Yeah, I round it over (yes - rounded!) with a mill bastard file to within ~3-4 cm of the end of the tip and tail tapers. This is not a job for a gummy.

I begin feathering at that point, and by the time I reach the sidecut (the end of the tip/tail tapers), the edge is what I'd call detuned. Think of a sharpened edge that you hit with 400 grit. I continue feathering lightly for about 2-3cm into the sidecut.

For me, the remainder of the sidecut can be razor sharp (or not) and the skis remain predictable. This has worked well with my GPOs, Qs, and EXPs (1 degree base bevel).

I've been toying with the idea of varying the base bevel (2 degrees in the tapered areas), but the skis are fine as they are.

I guess some folks just don't wanna believe;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-03-2019 at 11:45 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I’m pretty much in agreement as well. I use a mill bastard through the taper and feather past that conservatively based on rocker profile, much easier to dull more after skiing than resharpening for sure so I wouldn’t go too far until you spend more time on em. I would echo this on the Concept (full disclosure it’s the only Praxis ski I ski with zero detuning) but I would absolutely NOT recommend detuning anything other than tips and tails as said and then skiing them before you decide to do anything with the camber pods or under foot. I also think that -1.5 is just out of the sweet spot for that stick but not a deal breaker by any means, start with detuning and go from there, I’d guess you’ll get a good feel for them much sooner than later and probably very much dig them. But for future reference, they really only have +/- 1cm adjustability with that shape and no, I absolutely don’t think you’re too far out of that realm to warrant any kind of remount.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Just missed it that's all. I skied my Concepts for 3 years with factory tune, and loved them. I follow your description of where and how you recommend, just more curious from you or any (concept owners) how you felt your detune approaches changed the performance of the ski.

I echo what everyone else has said, lightning pivots and power slides from a very center-weighted position, or pretty normal feeling gs turns with the skis put way over on edge.

Cheers

Big fan of a parking lot stone, side of lift tower or snowmaking equip.......for a proper detune....

Now detuning a praxis will again be analyzed to then 9th degree....lol.....

^^^^ this.
    I thought concepts were a little hooky when not detuned tip and tail because the edge hold is so solid. I also like my skis looser.YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mounted 2 Pairs Over Thanksgiving

Gpo and 192 Protest
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Just missed it that's all. I skied my Concepts for 3 years with factory tune, and loved them. I follow your description of where and how you recommend, just more curious from you or any (concept owners) how you felt your detune approaches changed the performance of the ski.

I echo what everyone else has said, lightning pivots and power slides from a very center-weighted position, or pretty normal feeling gs turns with the skis put way over on edge.

Cheers
    Definitely start with detuning tips and tails aggressively prior to contact points. I’m looking for my third pair and also find they ski better with the small side cut areas detuned with a gummy. They can be a bit scary on hardpack without the detune as they can lock you into a turn.

I’ll also echo they likely will ski best on the line or maybe just a hair off. Get too far out and you’re standing on the rear side cut too much. I tried to tele on a pair. No so great. Really need the pressure in the center.

If you end up selling soon, let me know