Page 2 of 121 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Looking at those MVPs, skipping this year's sale has been borderline gut wrenching. That looks like a perfect layup for one of those days after having pounded the crap out of yourself.

... Thom
    Over and over that’s what I keep thinking. Every one of those skinny rx’s too. That was my build last year before I got cold feet and changed it. Been kicking myself repeatedly looking into the Praxis threads

I trust you gentleman maintain adequate quivers...and if you’re ever hitting Stevens, come get em for a lap or three.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Beers! I'd love to make it up to WA. This year's trips might only get so far as Montucky (full quiver in rooftop carrier - irrespective of destination), but we'll see ...

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I’m sure this has been covered before but haven’t shifted through the old threads. Is the general wisdom to mount concepts on the line? Or if I prefer my Praxis Skis behind the line (GPOs, protests, Qs all mounted -1 to -1.5 cm back), should I do the same for the concepts?

Weighed my Praxis quiver last night. For the data bank:

184 cm Rx, enduro with carbon, #4 flex, ambrosia maple: 8.65 lb (1974 and 1956 grams per ski)
    185 cm 9D8, heavy with carbon, #4 flex, birds eye maple: 8.35 lb (1886 and 1902 grams per ski)
    183 cm Exp, heavy with carbon, #4 flex, olive ash: 7.8 lb (1770 and 1772 grams per ski)

I skied the skinny RX. Mostly I was on firm snow, nice windbuff and corn, and one good powder day. I sharpened/detuned and waxed them prior, but the rocks really fucked up my sharp edges and left gouges.

The long radius is the first thing I noticed; don't lock your edges into a turn until you have the speed. The RX gets really good when you are going fast. I like to carve them on turns close to their radius, but things got slushy on some hot afternoons and the skis pivoted very well but that's hero snow for slarve turns. They can get sideways less easily in inconsistent snow, occasionally I had a "locked-in" feeling if I got backseat and rode the tails through a turn. The relative pintail is doing that, I had the same sensation on my lhasas if I got backseat. Also, I threw frame bindings on them and did some sidecountry touring while I was there and they were fine up the skintrack.

One day it snowed around a foot, maybe more. The wind wasn't too bad but there were some very deep pockets of wind-loaded snow. I love skiing in the snow, bouncing in and out of the powder and the skinny RX satisfies and skis very well for its size. In the choppy powder, I definitely wanted a wider ski to keep me above some of the vibrations you feel in your knees. This day made me want to try the regular width RX.

The shape is money, but you hear that a lot with this ski. The width adjustment didn't screw that up for me. I really like these skis. I got the heavy build and 5- flex, these skis aren't that stiff or heavy. I should have asked for extra stiff. Sometimes at speed through variable they got a little bouncy, like long wave warbles through the skis, on me. Overall, the skinny RX is an extremely competent ski that rewards good technique and high speed.

has anyone A/B compared the skinny RX to a Freeride?

Quote Originally Posted by ego7man View Post
    I skied the skinny RX. Mostly I was on firm snow, nice windbuff and corn, and one good powder day. I sharpened/detuned and waxed them prior, but the rocks really fucked up my sharp edges and left gouges.

The long radius is the first thing I noticed; don't lock your edges into a turn until you have the speed. The RX gets really good when you are going fast. I like to carve them on turns close to their radius, but things got slushy on some hot afternoons and the skis pivoted very well but that's hero snow for slarve turns. They can get sideways less easily in inconsistent snow, occasionally I had a "locked-in" feeling if I got backseat and rode the tails through a turn. The relative pintail is doing that, I had the same sensation on my lhasas if I got backseat. Also, I threw frame bindings on them and did some sidecountry touring while I was there and they were fine up the skintrack.

One day it snowed around a foot, maybe more. The wind wasn't too bad but there were some very deep pockets of wind-loaded snow. I love skiing in the snow, bouncing in and out of the powder and the skinny RX satisfies and skis very well for its size. In the choppy powder, I definitely wanted a wider ski to keep me above some of the vibrations you feel in your knees. This day made me want to try the regular width RX.

The shape is money, but you hear that a lot with this ski. The width adjustment didn't screw that up for me. I really like these skis. I got the heavy build and 5- flex, these skis aren't that stiff or heavy. I should have asked for extra stiff. Sometimes at speed through variable they got a little bouncy, like long wave warbles through the skis, on me. Overall, the skinny RX is an extremely competent ski that rewards good technique and high speed.
    This post perplexes me. The fact you didn’t find that they just mob through chop is interesting, even at a flex 5 heavy build. How tall and heavy are you? What length ski?
    This ski is high on my radar so this post has me concerned. It’s shape and that build should crush chop and variable conditions. I like a narrower ski in chop since you can just really stand on them in a turn and knife through it delivering a smooth ride if the ski has the right build and is torsionally stiff as well as longitudinally. What other skis can you compare them to? What other skis do you like?

They're very good in general, but the ski can't do everything perfectly. They don't have the raceroom construction of blizzard or dynastar but that makes them more easy.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I’m sure this has been covered before but haven’t shifted through the old threads. Is the general wisdom to mount concepts on the line? Or if I prefer my Praxis Skis behind the line (GPOs, protests, Qs all mounted -1 to -1.5 cm back), should I do the same for the concepts?
    Keith has stated that one shouldn’t stray too far from the line on the concepts - definitely no more than +/-2. The line is -8, IIRC, which is fairly traditional, and you can definitely still drive the tips from there. I’m love mine on the line, but I don’t think moving it a cm would be a hudge deal, if that’s your jam.

ETA: like any Praxis, and maybe even more so with the Concepts, bring a gummy with you on the hill and detune as you see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Heavy #5 regular Rx definitely mob through chop and chunk. They haul the mail. My favorite ski ever, thus far. They just feel so right, everything aligns for me, and I dont need to pay attention to what my skis are doing when transitioning between different sno conditions. Predictable and steadfast. They hold their speed so well and you can turn and slash and you stay at high speeds. Similar to BGs in that way, albeit not as pivoty. Similar to BGs and 191 wren in terms of speed too, they are just shorter.

Rx shape feels a little looser than 191 Wren 113 or 189 Wren 108, but Rx #5 also feels a bit stiffer on edge. I feel like the Wrens wanna make more specific, pre programmed turn shapes, which is normal. Wrens still easy to shut down. Whereas the Rx are easier to make any sort of turn shape. They are a little easier to break free in the trees, or too line up a cliff drop in motion (sliding), before you send it. Or break into almost a small Shane McConkey style slide, and just get loose in general.

I told Keith I wanted them super beefy and he seriously delivered. I think his Cousin (the FWT competitor) had a hand in making these, because he was telling me all about them when I picked them up at the factory. They feel super torsionally stiff, the edges grip hard and they work great for long radius turns on firm west coast snow too.

There is a pair of standard Enduro #4 189 Rx blems on sale discounted on the website. Idk why noone has bought them yet. They seem like a more versatile, more traditional, lighter and easier going billy goat tour.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^ Your post about the 5 flex heavy being a crusher and then egomans stating the opposite is interesting.

Ya Idk if I’d call them true crushers, they are not like Monster 108s, but they can definitely crush when you want. They crush like a 191 Wren or BG. The #5 doesnt hand flex super stiff, but skis stiff.

315mm BSL, mounted with Jesters

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

Bring them to Alpental

Gah, prolly won’t go down to a 306.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I wouldn’t go farther back than -1, that being said I def don’t think you would lose any performance going -1. Personally I will most likely put my next pair on the line (resort dd).
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Gah, prolly won’t go down to a 306.
    IIRC, they adjust 20mm, so you should be fine. Assuming that they're mounted for 306.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    IIRC, they adjust 20mm, so you should be fine. Assuming that they're mounted for 306.
    Ah, that should put me in front of his midsole a touch. Shouldn’t matter much on performance.

Ah, that should put me in front of his midsole a touch. Shouldn’t matter much on performance.
    I’m counting on you as a Protests connoisseur to give a good review!

So much pressure....

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Bring them to Alpental
    I’m in!

If ego7man was skiing them in bariloche this august, he mobs. Might be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    MVPs arrived a while ago. Never posted a photo. 183 enduro, ambrosia veneer, 3+, touring setup. If they fail that, park and bumps. Rocker is subtle. Need some g3 zeds...

Attachment 245556
    Hell yeah nice to see these Chicken. They look awesome!

By like 5mm Completely unnoticeable, IME, speaking as someone with a 303-307 bsl who has swapped loads with people in the 315 range.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos