Page 17 of 121 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quick comment on the Concept. 5'11 and 170 lbs. I have the 187 Concept Enduro core flex 4. Was on it for the first time this week and I was blown away by how well it smooths crud at speed. Didn't get a chance to ski it in untouched as there had been 5 inches of new that was fairly skied out over the previous 48 hours. Normally I would be on my 182 PB&J's in non-fresh conditions but was so excited to try out this ski. While the PB&J would be getting kicked around, I was shocked how stable the Concept is at speed. Mount is about -1 cm back from center. I also have the Lhasa's in 186 and found the Concept to be smoother and more fun in the non-pow. I did get in the backseat one time and was taken for a ride momentarily. I had read a similar remark in a previous review and didn't know exactly what the reviewer meant....now I do. Stay off the tail and it's a very fun ski so far. Can't wait to get it out in freshies.

Quick summary for those searching for some Concept feedback:
    1. Very stable in cut-up. Performs better than I anticipated with speed even on groomers.
    2. Doesn't like tail gunning.
    3. More versatile, in my limited experience, than Lhasa on non-pow.
    4. Flex 4 for someone 170 lbs is not too stiff.
    5. Easy to skid, make quick change of direction.

Great ski. Can't wait for a powder day now.

Glad you’re enjoying them. Awesome sticks

What do you guys reckon would be a good all praxis two ski quiver for the PNW? Primarily resort skiing, like to go fast, jump off things and generally use the whole mountain? Have QST 106's with shifts for slackcountry/short tours with friends.

Thoughts?

protest + 9d8/mvp/-10rx/pj

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    What do you guys reckon would be a good all praxis two ski quiver for the PNW? Primarily resort skiing, like to go fast, jump off things and generally use the whole mountain? Have QST 106's with shifts for slackcountry/short tours with friends.

Thoughts?
    Park or not? Any switch skiing tendencies?

Firm snow picks

MVP.
    Provided you like the 105-110mm underfoot class and don’t mind the QST overlap. Tried and true design. Loves speed. Really fun in both firm and soft snow.

PJ
    If you want a different class than the MVP, get the PJ. Really fun ski. Great for jumping off things.

There are other great firm snow offerings, but these are the best 2 for jumping off things IMO.

Soft snow picks.
    Multiple schools of thought here.

Protest.
    Protest camp has strong traction. I didn’t bond all that well with mine, but in the PNW, where there is a lot of wet, heavy snow and a lot of powder days, I think a quiver should have a super fat ski with some reverse sidecut. Protest really excels in both weird snow and deep snow. If these are solely for resort work, I’d personally want something skinnier than 128mm underfoot. Would be really nice to have if your resort days include some lift assisted slackcountry.

GPO
    I’m a big fan of the GPO mounted at -1. Floats well. Lands well. Tours well. Love the shape in variable snow. Quick as hell edge to edge. A bit more meh than some of the alternatives, but I really value predictability and agility skiing in the PNW and the GPO offers lots of both.

Concept
    Fewer positive votes, but the positive votes that are there are overwhelmingly positive. Suits a playful skier that stays in the front seat.

RX
    See concept explanation. Long radius, demands to be driven, loves speed, breaks free and pivots well. Probably the worst in pow/worst float of the bunch, but does not by any means suck in pow. Most traditional ski of the group, and probably the best on firm snow.

Q
    Mental Asym bastard love child of the GPO and RX. Needs the fall line and some speed to come alive. When it has those things, it’s really fun.

I have personally owned all of these except the RX.
    I think the description you offered of your own skiing is at least somewhat similar to mine.

For the sake of versatility,

PJ for firm.
    GPO for soft.

There will not be a snow condition in bounds where you aren’t completely comfortable and prepared on those 2. And since already have a 106 mm ski, I think this is what makes the most sense.

Flowingalpy would recommend MVP and RX.

Of all of these, the only one I still own is the mvp.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Super helpful response, been having trouble wrapping my head around the Praxis lineup and this helps straighten things out a bit. Liking the idea of pulling the trigger on a GPO.

Phenomenal post Chicken.
    Only thing I would add is that for dedicated inbounds think long and hard about upping the core to the heavy hitter instead of stiffening the flex. Its a great way to add stability and up the speed limit of a ski without sacrificing the playfulness of the medium flexing range.

Had a heavy RX built and skiing the layup for the first time, I’m really impressed. This after owning 3 enduros. The heavy construction skis like a raptor truck- definitely worth considering but perhaps if you’re in between a size round down or go enduro. The reason for RX was to be a traditional shape I can grow older on. Right now 189 would suit me well but went shorter to 184 thinking in future it will be better for me being heavy hitter.
    Praxis offers a lot of options. Keep in mind Keith makes the stock boards to appeal across the widest band or how he thinks most will enjoy them.

Two ski quiver?
    189 Skinny heavy 4 flex RX
    192 ProTest 4 flex, I’m a ProTest whore so....
    Party!

I'd like to ski and compare back to back an MVP and a skinny Q. Looking for a daily driver for soft snow that will ski equally well fast and slow, fairly traditional but still capable of some air time and a balanced two footed feel.Planning on a heavy core, 3 or 4 flex.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    I'd like to ski and compare back to back an MVP and a skinny Q. Looking for a daily driver for soft snow that will ski equally well fast and slow, fairly traditional but still capable of some air time and a balanced two footed feel.Planning on a heavy core, 3 or 4 flex.
    I’ve owned both. 188 skinny Q, heavy core 4 flex and a stock 193 MVP. They both like to be skied from center but the -Qs only seemed to have to be skied ski from center only, the MVP could handle shovel driving better and returned a lot more

I still own the MVPs despite having crazy overlap with other skis I own because I love them. I found the skinny Q to be ‘too turny’ for me at 5’7’’ 195ish. Turnier than my 184 4frnt Devastators mounted -1cm, which is not a demanding ski.

My buddy who is around 160-165ish took the -Qs and really likes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I’ve owned both. 188 skinny Q, heavy core 4 flex and a stock 193 MVP. They both like to be skied from center but the -Qs only seemed to have to be skied ski from center only, the MVP could handle shovel driving better and returned a lot more

I still own the MVPs despite having crazy overlap with other skis I own because I love them. I found the skinny Q to be ‘too turny’ for me at 5’7’’ 195ish. Turnier than my 184 4frnt Devastators mounted -1cm, which is not a demanding ski.

My buddy who is around 160-165ish took the -Qs and really likes them.
    Did you think the skinny Qs behaved well with short turns? Did the heavy core alone (I'm assuming no veneer or carbon) feel damp and stable through all snow conditions?

I will make sure to ski both before buying but trying to get an idea on the main differences and if a skinny Q could be as versatile for my intended use as an MVP surely would.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Did you think the skinny Qs behaved well with short turns? Did the heavy core alone (I'm assuming no veneer or carbon) feel damp and stable through all snow conditions?

I will make sure to ski both before buying but trying to get an idea on the main differences and if a skinny Q could be as versatile for my intended use as an MVP surely would.
    I thought the skinny Qs were very slarvy, approaching washy at my weight on the turn finish - they didn’t return much energy for me- I found them more fun when making big turn shapes into slarves or skiing side to side quickly and laterally while pointed down the fall line, vs zipper style turns. I wouldn’t call the 193 MVP great at zipper turns either, but better than the Qs because it had more snap/rebound.

The heavy core with no veneer or carbon felt damp.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I thought the skinny Qs were very slarvy, approaching washy at my weight on the turn finish - they didn’t return much energy for me- I found them more fun when making big turn shapes into slarves or skiing side to side quickly and laterally while pointed down the fall line, vs zipper style turns. I wouldn’t call the 193 MVP great at zipper turns either, but better than the Qs because it had more snap/rebound.

The heavy core with no veneer or carbon felt damp.
    Thanks for the info. Can't wait to try a pair.

Selling my 194 carbon Ullrs for $290. Link in sig
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Sounds like there are some really good deals to be had over summer months from praxis. When do these usually go online?

Also, anyone skied the Skinny RX or Skinny Concept?

^ sent you a PM. Annual custom sale is usually late March through late May.

Going to sell custom 188, -10 Quixotes- heavy core, #4 flex, vinyl topsheet 2 mounts. Nice condition besides the mounts. GS posting sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    Sounds like there are some really good deals to be had over summer months from praxis. When do these usually go online?

Also, anyone skied the Skinny RX or Skinny Concept?
    Some pretty good skinny RX reviews if you dig around here, sounds like people are liking them quite a bit. I would also love to hear a skinny Concept review
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnoe View Post
    Quick comment on the Concept. 5'11 and 170 lbs. I have the 187 Concept Enduro core flex 4.

[...snip...]

Great ski. Can't wait for a powder day now.
    This is my thought on these skis as well. I'm on the 2012/13 version of these (missed much of the past 5 years with various injuries) in 177cm, medium flex, stock layup, mounted on the divot. I'm skiing them tele style with TX Pros and Rot NTN Freedoms. I *love* how damp they are and how you can arc long turns or turn on a dime if you unweight them juuust a little. Like others, I do find that I'm not, uh, rewarded if I get back on them very much, and they are just a bit slow edge to edge. I've skied a fair bit in hardpack bumps with these things, and I love how you can shave the backside of a bump and stab the front side of the next with a damped, dull thud, Hummer style.

Last week was my first good pow-day on them, and I can say these things are kick-ass in powder, Magnoe. You can go out with full confidence in those Concepts.

cheers,
    john

Concepts for the Motha F N win! Just want to add that while I’ve never found them super quick edge to edge, I’ve never found them slow edge to edge. They do want to ski more like a longer radius big mtn ski, just a much more fun big mtn ski that can change direction on a dime and straight line some shit in a second. I am not saying these are big mtn slayers, but they will destroy any resort with ease and much more. I have not had the backseat issue with Concepts, but with the centered stance they require I can see how they might react unfavorably if a driver got out of the drivers seat. Fuckin phenomenal sticks
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

^^^^ preach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sold on some Concept 187 heavy, carbon, veneer. Will probably mount up with shifts.

Quiver should look like:
    Brahmas
    QST 106(probably going to sell)
    Concepts

what's next? a Protest..? or maybe an EXP for late spring corn harvesting and volcano skiing?

Now to figure out what topsheet/veneer I'm going to go with. I dig that Arctic Two graphic but not sure how it'll look in a veneer...

I never felt my Concepts were slow edge to edge, rather very quick for a ski it’s size.

I agree with Muggy. My only experience with similar width of the concept is the Lhasa and I find these quicker edge to edge. And of course they pivot on a dime. Had a ball on them in about a foot fresh earlier this week. Incredible. Did a 2500 foot run of untouched. I did notice that they don't necessarily have tips dying to emerge above the powder like the Lhasa, but tip dive was a non-issue. I continue to fall in love. Especially in the trees and quick pivoting in broken crud. Thanks Muggy for an amazing ski.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk