Page 16 of 121 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    163 Protest has more sidecut than the other lengths, at 25m radius. Which is exactly the same turn radius as the 169 RX. It's also 119 underfoot, essentially a -10 regular protest. So your girl could be really stoked on them, or they might actually ski too short with that much rocker and taper. My wife is about the size of your gf and skis a 17X length for everything except UL spring touring -- I know that the 163 Protest would be absurdly short for her...but obviously she's not your gf.

Also: I don't think the experience of dudes reviewing the longer models necessarily generalizes down to the shorter lengths. In the 165 length, the GPO has a pretty tight turn radius and lots of rocker/taper for the length -- the same things we guys typically bash the JJ for. I don't know anyone who's skied the 165 GPO and 165 VJJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were more similar than different. Unlike the big difference between the 187 GPO and 185 JJ.

So to me, the 169 RX seems like the best choice. Because it has the same rocker and taper as the big boy skis, it should be quite a bit more pow specific than the longer lengths while retaining most of the versatility the the RX is known for.
    What could actually ski shorter than JJs, huh... Unfortunately or luckily, she's not into ski shapes, designs and all that stuff. All the input I have is what I see while we ski and what she's complaining about. I see that she's struggling with the lenght while we ski in trees, tight couloirs, other technical terrain. Thing I'm not sure with Rx is how long will it ski at 169. She ain't an ex-racer and from RX shape, reviews and my understanding, it looks like it's a demanding ski. Last thing I want is her totally drained after couple hours of skiing. So ideally it should be a little stiffer, little more supportive, not very locked in, still capable of being playful. If she were little taller that would be Bibby/Wildcat 174 for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Good points.

My impression from the OP was that Mrs liked the playfulness of the JJ just wanted to size down and increase stability.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    FWIW I tour on my GPO’s and they are phenomenal for that, ski pretty much every bc condition really well. When it gets super wind blown/icy crust on the climb I feel like a little more camber and edge contact length would be nice (but hey that’s what crampons are for), but that’s literally my only complaint. I couldn’t ask for a better ski on the downhill. My sister has a pair of the 165’s for resort POW and loves them so much she pulls em out anytime it’s soft at all. I think they’re perfect for what you’re describing.
    Sounds awesome. What's her height/weight?

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Guys, what do you think about RX 169 vs GPO 165 for a girl?
    Looking for a resort pow/pow touring ski for a GF, she is 5'3, 130, currently skis Armada JJs 175. Despite huge rockers they are just too long for her. Now we also ski more trees, than open terrain, so that extra lenght is just odd. She likes the width on armadas and she also has a 106 waist ski, so that's why 111 or 116. She also wants skis to be a little stiffer and stable but yet playful as she's not a charger - flex 2 maybe?
    I know what flowing alpy answer will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    There just happens to be a pair her size in GS.
    I was just going to say this. She’ll think she’sa Charger than play the next turn. -1.5 from the dimple, especially for touring. I’ve had bc’s(on the dimple mount), gpo’s(-1) as touring skis and still top picks. Protest is just another level. If you climb up anything in any condition you’re assured of at least a few good turns. It makes funky conditions easily skiable. It’s like a Jf in some respects with the long rocker and tapers. It just ditches the bad aspects. It doesn’t have that tight hooky side cut of the jj and the flex is dialed tip to tail on the protest. Protest base and edges are waaay more durable. Smaller riders are more apt to move their mounts rearward(as per Hoji interview). Just recently heard that as I had mine a -1.5 and I can push on them through crud eat a sammich and send a text all at the same time. In a flash they’ll still pivot and dump speed intuitively. I had both a 177 and a 187. I think a 182(no such thing) would probably be perfection for me but I didn’t have any real issues with longer or shorter. The same with the 3 flex. Sometimes I thought the 4 might be better for me but the 3 did everything at any speed. Occasionally in super heavy piles of chop at speed it may flex and deflect as the flex returns but that was only in extreme cases. I think it’s the huge sweet spot that gives the ski more leeway in size and flex. Tried the 187 on the dimple than went back to -1.5. Length didn’t matter as much as the for/aft .
    Last edited by grinch; 01-25-2019 at 07:26 PM.

FWIW, my wife digs her 175 GPO's. 170 BC's she likes, but they are the ultralight/ carbon build and just a tad chattery & jumpy. I think the veneer top sheet may have been a good add to this build if we did it again. I picked her up a pair of left over 177 cm Protest Keith had. She skied them 1/2 a day in 10" heavy mashed potato and made me switch the bindings to her GPO's for lunch time. She felt they were to much ski, width and length. I think it was the snow. I wasn't the happiest either on my protest. Haven't got her back on them since.

I have the same suite of 3 skis and will 2nd Jmars comments on skiing style. If she's a racer background the protest may take a bit of adjustment. The GPO is an awesome all arounder, not as floaty as JJ's, but more backbone. If I could do it over again I would love to try both my GPO and Protest at -1. If you are touring on them ,especially consider this! For the up as much as the down

Protest has the tip and side cut radius of an rx and the taper, rocker and camber of the gpo in a 3mm wider waist @163

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

fully agree with breomonkey on the UL comments (I wouldn’t recommend it at all, but I do kinda dig the Carbon in my pow skis), and also going back -1 on the GPO for what you’re looking for would be $$$. Not for sure on height/weight but I’d guess, 5’5 - 150ish???
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    FWIW I tour on my GPO’s and they are phenomenal for that, ski pretty much every bc condition really well. When it gets super wind blown/icy crust on the climb I feel like a little more camber and edge contact length would be nice (but hey that’s what crampons are for), but that’s literally my only complaint. I couldn’t ask for a better ski on the downhill. My sister has a pair of the 165’s for resort POW and loves them so much she pulls em out anytime it’s soft at all. I think they’re perfect for what you’re describing.
    Also a big fan of the GPO for out of bounds work. Predictable in any snow type.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Having now tried both enduro+C/V and UL+V I don't get what all the fuss is about. Tgr made it sound like UL would be akin to driving a car with square wheels but it's really not that crazy at all. Anything that will spend 51% or more of its time in the backcountry i would be more than happy in the future. I regret getting my yetis in enduro at this point but we'll see how I feel after harvesting corn in the spring. YMMV of course but my UL protests skied just fine in the resort the couple times i brought them and the weight savings on a ski that size is significant.

Do you know much weight you end up saving with the UL core plus veneer with the Protests? GF and I are considering a honeymoon to Japan next year and I'm on the hunt for a new ski.

I never put them on a scale because I'm dumb but the yeti and protest are both 192 and both mounted with tecton, yeti is #4 while protest is a 4+

A completely unscientific hand analysis of weight says they're very similar. I'd guess around or less than 1lb difference per ski. Skins on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Also a big fan of the GPO for out of bounds work. Predictable in any snow type.
    Awesome, does that include mank? I haven’t gotten them in true bottomless Sierra slop or Cascade molten marshmallow garbage yet, especially the type with a refreezing creme brûlée crust - that was really my only concern for that GPO front end, but I guess the tail is also pretty narrow relative to the tip and rockered well enough. That’s the problem with warm climates - bulletproof windjack at the top of your line, hero snow in the middle, and molten mank on the bottom third. I like having a ski that relieves some of the misery on long manky exits

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Well, it doesn't have RES, and if you've skied a Goat or fat Steeple, I'm guessing you'd prefer that when skiing in a hot mess.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Well, it doesn't have RES, and if you've skied a Goat or fat Steeple, I'm guessing you'd prefer that when skiing in a hot mess.

... Thom

RES is the real deal . Amazed at what my steeple102 is capable of in any condition. Heavy ski though. Probably 1- 1.5 pounds heavier than equivalent size praxis maa veneer

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Awesome, does that include mank? I haven’t gotten them in true bottomless Sierra slop or Cascade molten marshmallow garbage yet, especially the type with a refreezing creme brûlée crust - that was really my only concern for that GPO front end, but I guess the tail is also pretty narrow relative to the tip and rockered well enough. That’s the problem with warm climates - bulletproof windjack at the top of your line, hero snow in the middle, and molten mank on the bottom third. I like having a ski that relieves some of the misery on long manky exits
    Yeah it does. Not as effortless as the RES tip, but the shark nose moves through terrible snow pretty well.

Edit - if you’re in that kind of snow on your exits often, I would stay away from the UL core. Enduro/veneer will also help you navigate that stuff.
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 01-26-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Do you know much weight you end up saving with the UL core plus veneer with the Protests? GF and I are considering a honeymoon to Japan next year and I'm on the hunt for a new ski.
    According to Keith, they built a 192 cm Protest with Veneer in the summer and it weighed 9 lbs 5 oz for the pair.

Further customization options with the UL too. My build incorporated a little more maple and ash to beef up the UL. But it is a little heavier than 9 lbs 5 oz. I’m ok with a few more ounces for a little more dampness in the UL Core.
    Last edited by Best Mexican Skier from Da South; 01-26-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom

That’s ProTest snow, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    According to Keith, they built a 192 Protest 192 with Veneer in the summer and it weighed 9 lbs 5 oz for the pair.
    That seems heavy for a UL build.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    That’s ProTest snow, bro.
    There you and @grinch go ... gaslighting me
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Haaa. I think you’ll do ok without a pair, with your line up

Anybody skied an enforcer 100 and PJ and can compare their carving ability? Know its apples to oranges but i got on the enforcer 104 free the other day and was pretty blown away. I've been planning on picking up some PJs in the spring sale for a while but im second guessing that now... unless someone can assure me a PJ with heavy core (4 flex im thinking) can carve and smooth out rough snow as well

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    According to Keith, they built a 192 cm Protest with Veneer in the summer and it weighed 9 lbs 5 oz for the pair.

Further customization options with the UL too. My build incorporated a little more maple and ash to beef up the UL. But it is a little heavier than 9 lbs 5 oz. I’m ok with a few more ounces for a little more dampness in the UL Core.
    Whoa. Did that cost more? Do you like they way they ski?

Quote Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
    Anybody skied an enforcer 100 and PJ and can compare their carving ability? Know its apples to oranges but i got on the enforcer 104 free the other day and was pretty blown away. I've been planning on picking up some PJs in the spring sale for a while but im second guessing that now... unless someone can assure me a PJ with heavy core (4 flex im thinking) can carve and smooth out rough snow as well
    Never skied the enforcer. PJs leave trenches and in that build will be nice and damp in rough snow, but the running length feels just a little short on corduroy.

... unless someone can assure me a PJ with heavy core (4 flex im thinking) can carve and smooth out rough snow
    Yes, I can assure you of that. The heavy core is incredibly smooth and stable through all types of rough snow. My build is Heavy 3 flex veneer carbon. At around 170 I find the combination of 3 flex and the heavy core to be perfect for the ski. Its easy enough to flex and ollie when you want fuck around, and it just slays bumps. This season I changed the edge bevel to 2 degrees and it will lock into a nice carve on some pretty serious EC hardpack/ice. Its no square tailed racer but I've never found a speed limit on it in the 3 flex YMMV.

It's a great ski for small accumulations, because it will get nice and loose in 1-2" of snow, but also a really fun pow ski in 6-10" if you're the type of person who likes to feel a little more "in the snow"

Enforcer looks nice too, and you have the advantage of a demo, but the PJ is a hard ski not to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Yes, I can assure you of that. The heavy core is incredibly smooth and stable through all types of rough snow. My build is Heavy 3 flex veneer carbon. At around 170 I find the combination of 3 flex and the heavy core to be perfect for the ski. Its easy enough to flex and ollie when you want fuck around, and it just slays bumps. This season I changed the edge bevel to 2 degrees and it will lock into a nice carve on some pretty serious EC hardpack/ice. Its no square tailed racer but I've never found a speed limit on it in the 3 flex YMMV.

It's a great ski for small accumulations, because it will get nice and loose in 1-2" of snow, but also a really fun pow ski in 6-10" if you're the type of person who likes to feel a little more "in the snow"

Enforcer looks nice too, and you have the advantage of a demo, but the PJ is a hard ski not to like.
    I totally agree with the review of the PJ.
    I have the same build as you and and I’m very close to your weight . Killington at Bear Saturday had big and soft bumps. The fiddle under the rope has a wind crust with soft consolidated pow after you busted though ,and a fair amount of rocks so quick to edge and throw them sideways to stop.
    The other side had all the new snow blown a mile away with the high winds that persisted all day. They do hold an edge. No metal but they are heavy and damp. My only gripe was they were so edge hi when I brought them and hooked terribly on firm snow. A base grind did the trick but I do think that hand made custom skis should come with flat bases.
    Great ski so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Whoa. Did that cost more? Do you like they way they ski?
    That was my pair. Enduro veneer 4 flex. Yes it adds to the cost for veneer. They ski amazing inbounds.

184 PJ, MAP (I think?) core with veneer 3 flex is my daily driver back east. Do I have skis that carve better? Sure, Parlor Cardinal 100s, but I barely use them — I have too much fun with the PJs most of the time. In anything resembling softer snow they hook into a carve and break free fairly effortlessly for me.

Sweet, thanks guys. I'm a little concerned about the 184 being short at my size (6'2" 185), but I'll keep thinking about it. Gonna talk to our nordica rep soon to see if i can get a major steal. That 104 Free is a rad ski