Bourg St. Maurice/Les Arcs

Tried search and didn't find much. This is connected to my Val d'Siere thread. Instead of doing a second week in Val, I was thinking of Chamonix/Courmayer, but Bourg and Les Arcs is right down the road, and pretty massive. Easier logistics. Should I just do there? Anybody been?

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Spent a week in B St. M a while back. It’s the perfect place to ski all three - Val, Tig & Arc. Easy bus ride over to Val/Tig and Arcs is straight up. I’d spend a week there and then a week in Cham - just my 2 cents.
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

You had the answer in the other thread... The area is huge and enough for two weeks of great skiing.
    Now, Chamonix is something else... If you're ready for a harness and for a guide, there's nothing like it. (btw, Val d'Isère can be tricky in its own way... A guide could be helpful too to show you around)
    More than anything, if you're undecided, you should chase the snow besides this two options.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Jeez, Benny, I had thought your webskilz a little more deft.

Bourg St. Maurice has a funicular up to Les Arcs and BSM has a train station. On a map, you can see that the funicular starts right next to the train station.

There are regular busses up to L'Espace Killy (Val d'Isere-Tignes) and a skiing connections over to La Plagne which with Les Arcs comprises Paradiski:

………………………………………………………………………………………......^ Bourg St. Maurice is here at the bottom of that black curvy line of the funicular

A little further West from La Plagne and you're in Les Trois Vallees.

Back at BSM, there's access to St. Foy, a much smaller area than either Espace Killy or Paradiski, but great for offpiste.

Then just a little ways up from there, like 15 minutes max, is La Rosiere/La Thuile.

If you traveled light with a backpack, you can ski from La Rosiere over the Italian border down into La Thuile and get a bus to Courmayeur.

Or you could ski over to La Plagne and get a bus to Meribel and ski up over Val Thorens and go down into the Maurienne Valley to hit Val Frejus and Val Cenis or catch the train that pokes through the Frejus tunnel and get off at Oulx to ski the Milky Way, get a 20 minute taxi down to Briancon, ski Serre Chevalier and then another taxi or bus up to.....La Grave.

If the snow is shitty around Yurp, Val d'Isere is a great place to be.

If it's stormy, I'd head for lower elevation like St. Foy.

All this shit is stupid easy if you have a smattering of French language ability. I could refer you to a sweet hotel around St. Foy, but I'd have to be more convinced of a personality other than your online one.

Here's a link to a good map: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Val-d-Isère/Arc-2000 .

rome2rio.com is a great travel resource. plunk in start and end and it gives you bus, taxi, drive and train options if available for lots of destinations.

Here's the SNCF, French railroads, ineractive map: https://www.sncf-reseau.fr/en/projet...ractive-map-of
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 08-12-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

This looks like a very cool trip Benny.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    This looks like a very cool trip Benny.
    Yeah, I was going to come back to Big Sky, but, this isn't bad, and a bit cheaper in the end. First week I'll be with a group in Val D'Siere, get in on a small guided group once or twice, get the lay of the land, and then just find a bed in Bourg down the road for the second week, and buy a few more guide days. All one big massive area, easily connected by chairs and buses.
    There's actually a TGV high speed train to Bourg from Paris. Awesome connections. I'm thinking of a high end meal in Lyon, although I bet the food up in the mountains is great.

Thanks, Buster.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    If you traveled light with a backpack, you can ski from La Rosiere over the Italian border down into La Thuile and get a bus to Courmayeur.
    Buster, how feasible is this? Sounds incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Buster, how feasible is this? Sounds incredible.
    Going from La Rosiere over to La Thuile and back is easy on marked pistes.

We've done it from La Thuile to La Rosiere, got a room in St. Foy, skied around there, then skied back to La Thuile.

The bus is number 642, some connections use bus 665.

It's a 15 minute drive, bus is like 40 minutes.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/La-Thuile/Courmayeur

Going from La Rosiere over to La Thuile and back is easy on marked pistes.

We've done it from La Thuile to La Rosiere, got a room in St. Foy, skied around there, then skied back to La Thuile.

The bus is number 642, some connections use bus 665.

It's a 15 minute drive, bus is like 40 minutes.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/La-Thuile/Courmayeur
    Benny, save the cab fare and ski yourself to Italy!

Next time. There will be plenty in Val/Les Arcs for two weeks, I'm pretty sure. But, Dolomites next. Gotta do that before I die.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Prune down the kit to a 40 liter backpack, transceiver, shovel probe, skis, boots a couple changes of underwear, 1 set of evening clothes.
    Day 1: From Bourg St. Maurice, ski Les Arcs then take lifts and cross into La Plagne. Sleep there.

Day 2: From La Plagne/Montalbert, taxi down to the train at Aimes, train it to Moutiers and get a bus up to Courchevel 1600 or 1800. Or you could just taxi it from La Plagne to Courchevel.
    Courchevel is part of the Trois Vallees and has several Michelin starred restaurants. Rooms are expensive in Courchevel proper, a little less in Meribel or Les Menuires.

Day 3: Ski around les Trois Vallees, ending up at the top of Val Thorens. Ski down into the Maurienne side towards Orelle. Book at room at any of the little hotels in St. Michel de Maurienne.

Day 4: Take the train from St. Michel de Maurienne through the Frejus tunnel to Oulx, Italy or ski at Val Frejus or Val Cenis for a day, then get to Oulx.

Day 5 or 6: Ski across the Milky Way from Sauze d'Oulx through Sestriere, cross over to San Sicario, ski over to Claviere, then ski back into France @ Montgenevre. I'd stay in Claviere and ski over to Montegenvre the next day.

Day 6 or 7: Taxi to Briancon, ski Serre Chevalier, taking lifts up valley to Monetier Les Bains. Stay at l'Hotel Europe. The alley just E. of there has great basement restaurants.

Day 7 or 8: Ski back down to Briancon and get the train back to Bourg St. Maurice.

Prune down the kit to a 40 liter backpack, transceiver, shovel probe, skis, boots a couple changes of underwear, 1 set of evening clothes.
    Day 1: From Bourg St. Maurice, ski Les Arcs then take lifts and cross into La Plagne. Sleep there.

Day 2: From La Plagne/Montalbert, taxi down to the train at Aimes, train it to Moutiers and get a bus up to Courchevel 1600 or 1800. Or you could just taxi it from La Plagne to Courchevel.
    Courchevel is part of the Trois Vallees and has several Michelin starred restaurants. Rooms are expensive in Courchevel proper, a little less in Meribel or Les Menuires.

Day 3: Ski around les Trois Vallees, ending up at the top of Val Thorens. Ski down into the Maurienne side towards Orelle. Book at room at any of the little hotels in St. Michel de Maurienne.

Day 4: Take the train from St. Michel de Maurienne through the Frejus tunnel to Oulx, Italy or ski at Val Frejus or Val Cenis for a day, then get to Oulx.

Day 5 or 6: Ski across the Milky Way from Sauze d'Oulx through Sestriere, cross over to San Sicario, ski over to Claviere, then ski back into France @ Montgenevre. I'd stay in Claviere and ski over to Montegenvre the next day.

Day 6 or 7: Taxi to Briancon, ski Serre Chevalier, taking lifts up valley to Monetier Les Bains. Stay at l'Hotel Europe. The alley just E. of there has great basement restaurants.

Day 7 or 8: Ski back down to Briancon and get the train back to Bourg St. Maurice.
    This is the grail! Street shoes the most cumbersome to pack. Otherwise, could do laundry every other day or every third day to reduce weight of extra clothes.
    Last edited by hafjell; 08-17-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Next time. There will be plenty in Val/Les Arcs for two weeks, I'm pretty sure. But, Dolomites next. Gotta do that before I die.
    I'm in.

It's been ages, but I used to go there a lot.

Great skiing from Aiguille Rouge down to Villaroger, and down the back of Aiguille Rouge (Couloir en S - I think it's called). Fond memories of skiing powder in April right down to my van, then driving right back to Copenhagen in one go. Good finish to a season spent in Serre Chevalier and Les Arcs.