Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talk me into buying boots

My boots blew up last season. I've been skiing Factor 130's for the past 3 years, and the ski/walk mode gave out on both boots. The shell itself is cracked, so I can't buy a replacement mechanism. No proof of purchase, so I can't have them fixed by BD.

As such, I'm looking at getting some new boots. The quiver for next year is pretty simple- 190 Rocker 2 108s/dynafit Radical ST 2.0 for touring around VT, and 184 Shreditor 92s/Marker Griffons for fucking around the resort and the park with college friends.

About me: 190 lbs, 6'4", athletic, aggressive skier (ha), beat the shit out of my gear.

The ideal setup is pretty clear to me- something like a Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 for touring, and a Lange RX 130 for doing circles around my pals. For touring, I'd rather lean towards downhill performance vs uphill weight, and my main concern for inbounds is durability. Stiff flex is a must.

Here's the catch though- I don't have $1200 to drop on two new pairs of boots this year. At most I have around $350, and that's pushing it.

Here are my options as I see it:

*Buy AT boots without rockered soles (S/LAB MTN), and shove them in my alpine bindings for a season. Buy resort boots next year.
    *Buy a resort boot with pins (Cochise 130 or Lange XT 130) and buy a dedicated touring boot next year.
    *Buy nice AT boots and fix the walk/ski issue on my factors with some metal. Buy nice resort boots next year.
    *Buy nice resort boots and AT soles for the factors, and do a atomic backland style external bracket for the factors. Buy nice AT boots next year.
    *Buy some cheap used touring boots and some cheap used resort boots.

What do you think? I can't decide. Maybe I should just buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best

Talk me into buying boots

Buy some cheap new or used boots that fit well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What do you think about the salomon qst 130 pro? It’s my only boot. Definitely flexes lower like 120 but handles alpine leaning duties with tours on occasion for me. Favorite so far

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtnBob View Post
    About me: 190 lbs, 6'4", athletic, aggressive skier (ha), beat the shit out of my gear.

....Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 for touring, and a Lange RX 130 ...
    I thought the BD Factor fit like a kleenex box, but the Atomic Hawx Ultra and Lange RX are boots that would work for me (I own the Hawx Ultra XTD 130 and have tried on the RX 130). And I weigh a little more than you, so...

My always recommend this boot if it fits you: the Garmont Shaman. It fits similar to a Nordica Dobermann, but the Shaman fit me slightly better out of the box. Stiff, no walk mode, no canting, all buckles are burly and attach with T-bolts. Buy this for alpine, and buy some used AT boots to get you through next year.

Bunch of sizes, new, but without the DIN sole:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmont-Sha...sid=m570.l1313

^^^ The "AT" sole that these come with will work in Duke/Guardian type bindings, and I think in WTR type also.

If you happen to be in a 28.5 boot, this one looks to be in good shape, and has the DIN soles:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMONT-SHA...sid=m570.l1313

Note that the Garmont sizing is in UK sizes, so that ^^ 9.5 boot = 327mm = 28.5 mondo.

If you're looking at the other ebay listing with the new boots, a size 8/8.5 = 317 = 27/27.5 mondo. Add/subtract 10 to the BSL for every size up/down.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You don't have any usable boots and you need help convincing yourself to buy some? I think you just need to drink a little less and up your price range. Something like this would tour about the same as your Factors and ski better:

https://www.evo.com/alpine-ski-boots...2017-black.jpg

PS Are you in the original Factor 130 or the Factor MX? If the former, do you really need that much volume?

if you need to be talked into buying more gear I question your devotion my friend

@CascadeLuke, I'm wary of buying one boot to do both, but that looks like a good option if I was to go down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    My always recommend this boot if it fits you: the Garmont Shaman. It fits similar to a Nordica Dobermann, but the Shaman fit me slightly better out of the box. Stiff, no walk mode, no canting, all buckles are burly and attach with T-bolts. Buy this for alpine, and buy some used AT boots to get you through next year.

If you happen to be in a 28.5 boot, this one looks to be in good shape, and has the DIN soles:

That boot sure as hell ain't sexy but damn it looks bulletproof and it's cheap! I also happen to be a 28.5, so you're making my day. I'm open to other suggestions but barring some miracle I think I'll pull the trigger on that.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    PS Are you in the original Factor 130 or the Factor MX? If the former, do you really need that much volume?
    Not at all. I bought the boots because they were dirt cheap, not because they fit particularly well. Thick socks and buckles ratcheted down.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    if you need to be talked into buying more gear I question your devotion my friend
    I picked up the shreditors two weeks ago and the radicals are shipping right now. I just need a little motivation to throw another couple hundred dollars at a sport that I can only do for half of the year

I also have some Garmont shamans that I will give you a very good deal on. They are the equivalent of a 28-28.5 shell.Skied just a handfull of runs over the course of a couple hours and you'd have a hard time telling them from a new pair. I have the DIN soles and the hiking soles too. They are gold too. I'm not sure how much shipping is but I'm pretty motivated since they are too big for me.
    @CascadeLuke, I'm wary of buying one boot to do both, but that looks like a good option if I was to go down that path.

That boot sure as hell ain't sexy but damn it looks bulletproof and it's cheap! I also happen to be a 28.5, so you're making my day. I'm open to other suggestions but barring some miracle I think I'll pull the trigger on that.

Bootfitting on the internet is a crapshoot -- I suggested the Shaman because you referenced two other boots that I either have (Hawx) or could ski (RX), which makes it seem to me like your foot shape might be somewhat similar to mine. Also, your size/weight means you can flex the Shaman -- it's stiff.

It is definitely bulletproof and cheap... Any chance you've tried the Dobermann or the Patron Pro? Both similar to the Shaman, but the fit is a little different on all three.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    I also have some Garmont shamans that I will give you a very good deal on. They are the equivalent of a 28-28.5 shell.Skied just a handfull of runs over the course of a couple hours and you'd have a hard time telling them from a new pair. I have the DIN soles and the hiking soles too. They are gold too. I'm not sure how much shipping is but I'm pretty motivated since they are too big for me.
    Bingo. Grab these.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Bootfitting on the internet is a crapshoot -- I suggested the Shaman because you referenced two other boots that I either have (Hawx) or could ski (RX), which makes it seem to me like your foot shape might be somewhat similar to mine. Also, your size/weight means you can flex the Shaman -- it's stiff.

It is definitely bulletproof and cheap... Any chance you've tried the Dobermann or the Patron Pro? Both similar to the Shaman, but the fit is a little different on all three.

For that price I don't mind a crapshot. Haven't tried either of the boots you mentioned but worst case scenario I could just resell the boots. I also have a friend with smaller feet than might want them.

@OregonDead, I PM'd you

Well, good news for you. Factors skied like crap and toured like crap so you're only comparing against crap. However crappy they were, they did force the entire industry to get on the freeride touring market and we have had a good decade of progress since they came out. Many options out there now which will tour and ski better than your Factors. Greg linked a good option for lower costs. start there?

28.5 Cochise 120s, $200?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Factors skied like crap and toured like crap so you're only comparing against crap.
    Oh, I know

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    28.5 Cochise 120s, $200?
    What year? I think I'm going to go with the shamans and look for a more dedicated touring boot but might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    If the OP doesn't want these I could be interested. Bought hawx xtds last year but feel like I want more boot inbounds and am cheap.

quick q- what's the opinion on the Scarpa Spirit 4? I found a pair for cheap on Facebook market of all places. Seems like they were good boots back in 2009 but that was a while ago.

What Bout that Nordica boot?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Oh, I know

What year? I think I'm going to go with the shamans and look for a more dedicated touring boot but might be interested.
    2017. the black and green ones.

I’d say don’t bother with the spirit 4, total noodles and everything described so far would be better

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    2017. the black and green ones.
    Dat's a damn good deal OP. Covers your inbounds needs and hiking needs until you find a more touring oriented boot.

quick q- what's the opinion on the Scarpa Spirit 4?
    Don't do it. Old tech boxy fit 4-buckle version of Spirit 3, which replaced the Laser.

A couple of ski buds who fit the Factors had good luck with the Maestrale RS

be aware Scarpa's sizing breaks on the half size
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-09-2018 at 09:46 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know