Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 43 of 43
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    605
    Yeah if you can drop camping gear that would save you a lot of energy on the climbs too! Definitely try to make it to Fort Drake / Sonoma Coast State Park if you can handle the miles, that was my favorite part of Hwy 1.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    6,817
    Do you mean Fort Ross State Park? The old Russian Camp north of Jenner?
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Do you mean Fort Ross State Park? The old Russian Camp north of Jenner?
    Yup! Got mixed up. That's pretty far up north for a 3d/2n, but the coast between Fort Ross and Sonoma State Park was my favorite part of Hwy 1.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8080.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	844.2 KB 
ID:	243750

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    6,817
    Yup, that stretch is great. Sonoma Coast State Park is fantastic ... Arch Rock, awesome running trails on the prairie bluffs above Goat Rock, then the mouth of the Russian River is gorgeous. But the stretch north of the state park is kind of far from the Pt. Reyes Hostel ... Just from there to Goat Rock Beach (mouth of the Russian River) out and back is a century ride at 100 mi. But its sooo worth it to see the mouth of the Russian River on a clear day.


    (I took that pic on summer solstice from the Rivers End Inn restaurant above the river ... in late September the sun won't set so far north, but also you'd be there middle of the day anyways if you choose to ride up there!)

    So one option would look like :
    Day 1, 55 miles from SF to Pt Reyes Hostelby way of Hawk Hill, out to Sausalito, up Panoramic to Stinson ... hang out at the beach after checking in and watch the sunset!
    Day 2 if going all the way to Jenner would be a big push at 100m
    Day 3 Pt Reyes Hostel out to Nicasio Reservoir and back to SF, about 50 miles
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,380
    Thanks for the advice all. Going to keep this pretty simple. Hauling camping gear out would've cost me an extra bag each way (since work only covers 1 checked bag) -- so hostel is a nice choice at <$70 total for 2 nights.

    Day 1: Up the coast route to Point Reyes Hostel: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28309797
    Day 2: Around Tomales Bay with plenty of time for eating oysters and drinking beer. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28337889
    Day 3: Into Point Reyes for breakfast, then back to SF via the inland route. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28309928

    ~120mi with 10k of climbing. Should give plenty of time to enjoy food along the way, some time on the beach, etc.
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    6,817
    Looks like a great trip.

    Here are my comments:
    * Leave time on Days 1 to enjoy Limantour beach. It really is spectacular, especially at sunset. I know you have it on Day 2 morning but it's really amazing at sunset.
    * Day 3 return route is on really busy roads. Sir Francis Drake has no real shoulder between HWY1 and San Geronimo Valley ... from there it has a very wide shoulder or bike lane. There are many alternates and side streets ... as I previously indicated, heading to Nicasio Reservoir will be less busy and add a few miles.
    I also don't know all the local shortcuts as I used to blindly follow friends around Ross and Fairfax.
    Also, adding the extra little bit around Paradise Cove to Tiburon Point is really nice, you should add it. Tiburon is a cute little ferry town with a nice harbor.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Looks like a great trip.

    Here are my comments:
    * Leave time on Days 1 to enjoy Limantour beach. It really is spectacular, especially at sunset. I know you have it on Day 2 morning but it's really amazing at sunset.
    * Day 3 return route is on really busy roads. Sir Francis Drake has no real shoulder between HWY1 and San Geronimo Valley ... from there it has a very wide shoulder or bike lane. There are many alternates and side streets ... as I previously indicated, heading to Nicasio Reservoir will be less busy and add a few miles.
    I also don't know all the local shortcuts as I used to blindly follow friends around Ross and Fairfax.
    Also, adding the extra little bit around Paradise Cove to Tiburon Point is really nice, you should add it. Tiburon is a cute little ferry town with a nice harbor.
    Super helpful thanks. So day 3 more like so: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28309928 Looks like if I wanted to take a ferry just for kicks I could take one from Tiburon back to SF.


    And I'll definately check out Limatour at sunset. Figure I'll grab grocery stuffs in Point Reyes station, drop off at the hostel, and go down to the beach for a sunset beer or two.
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    53
    Bail on taking Sir Francis Drake back to the City. Pick up the Bolinas Ridge fireroad just outside of Olema off Sir Francis Drake. This road climbs moderately to the ridge and basically follows the San Andreas fault. It goes through some nice redwood groves and can be wet if lots of fog. Take that to the Bolinas Fairfax road then to West Ridgecrest which brings you to the shoulder of Tam. From there your options are many but I would suggest going down to Pantoll then accessing the coastal trail into Muir Beach (best downhill in west marin), up Green gulch trail over to Tennessee valley. From Tennessee Valley you could ride through the Marin headlands (two more 20 minute climbs) or you can ride through Sausalito back to the City. All can easily be done on a gravel grinder bike.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    605
    Goddamn I miss Marin County. So many options back home. Both of those options sound awesome. I've only done the Paradise Drive loop to Tiburon. A ferry would be awesome vs. dealing with the bridge crossing for a trip like this.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Bail on taking Sir Francis Drake back to the City. Pick up the Bolinas Ridge fireroad just outside of Olema off Sir Francis Drake. This road climbs moderately to the ridge and basically follows the San Andreas fault. It goes through some nice redwood groves and can be wet if lots of fog. Take that to the Bolinas Fairfax road then to West Ridgecrest which brings you to the shoulder of Tam. From there your options are many but I would suggest going down to Pantoll then accessing the coastal trail into Muir Beach (best downhill in west marin), up Green gulch trail over to Tennessee valley. From Tennessee Valley you could ride through the Marin headlands (two more 20 minute climbs) or you can ride through Sausalito back to the City. All can easily be done on a gravel grinder bike.
    Interesting. That looks like an awesome trail. Maybe I'll ride it instead of the PCH on the way out to the Hostel, and take the PCH back once legs are a bit more tired out.
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    53
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010069.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	244193
    Found this old photo of Bolinas Ridge looking from Pine Mtn and into Pt. Reyes

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,380
    Rad.

    I'll be on this same setup -- bags may be different depending on how much i need to carry. Burly enough for the Bolinas Ridge?

    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    53
    Cannot see the photo, but people ride that route on hardtail gravel grinders all the time. Some rocky sections but nothing that is too technical more of a flat tire issue than anything else. You can ride 80% trails in Marin on gravel grinders just depends on comfort level, descending speed desired, and spare tubes.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,380
    Huh -- lets try that again:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7H9JPJq.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	244207
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    53
    That will work. I am sure Charlie Cunningham, Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, and Otis Guy all rode it on bikes like that. Search Bolinas ridge fire road in google images and you will get an idea of the trail type.

    If you are hosteling it you could bring way less stuff, just riding clothes and a second set of clothes for the night. I have known lots of folks that do what you are proposing as weekend getaway from the City. Travel light and bring a credit card. A day out to Pt. Reyes, a night in a B and B then back to City on Sunday.

    http://www.studiovelocycling.com/com...r-gravel-ride/

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    319
    In Marshall on Tomales Bay I really recommend Hog Island Oyster Co. Tuesday through Thursday you can shuck your own oysters with beer and wine from their bar. You can also reserve a picnic table in advance with grills. BYO meats and drinks. The other days they sell shucked oysters. Itís one of my favorite spots around the Bay Area, especially on weekdays when itís really mellow.

    The Marshall Store down the road is nice as well, but neither the views or the oysters are quite as good.

    In Stinson thereís a cool burger and taco stand right on the beach. And if you have time for a short detour, Bolinas is a cool little (former) hippie town just north of Stinson across the lagoon. Thereís no sign since the town has a long history of taking them down to keep outsiders away. Of course thatís a thing of the past with the internet so no need to feel unwelcome; itís swarmed by SF people all the time these days. A little funkier and more relaxing than Stinson.

    The ride to Tiburon is a nice one if youíre thinking about the ferry. Itís known as the Paradise Loop. You could even take a ferry from there to Angel Island to do some riding there and then take a different ferry from there back to SF. Cool camping there too, but itís probably too late to get a site.

    If you end up taking Sir Francis Drake into Fairfax thereís basically a bike route that closely parallels it. There are a ton of turns but itís well signed and fairly intuitive.

    Youíve got a nice trip planned, I hope the fog stays away for you, although a little bit of it is nice.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,380
    And this is why you start threads like this. I would've been on busier roads, now I'm riding double track on a ridge.

    And I know where to eat oysters and eat tacos on the ride. I'll be there Fri-Sat-Sun so unfortunately I'll be part of the crowds.
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    6,817
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    And this is why you start threads like this. I would've been on busier roads, now I'm riding double track on a ridge.

    And I know where to eat oysters and eat tacos on the ride. I'll be there Fri-Sat-Sun so unfortunately I'll be part of the crowds.
    Also, during DemandForce - if you like Vietnamese food then Tinís is a great spot for lunch. It will be mobbed, but if you can make the timing work itís a great spot. I used to work on 4th and Mission years ago, had to plan my lunch habits around which conferences were in town. Oddly enough, the food court at the Westfield Mall has a lot of great options and is lesser known to conference goers ...

    Incidentally, Demand Force was not the biggest junkshow, nor Oracle World, nor GDC ... it was the American Geological Union conference. Tons of conference goers, plus City college students taking finals, plus tourist shoppers getting ready for Christmas ... that part of SF is a nightmare in early December.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •