Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yeah if you can drop camping gear that would save you a lot of energy on the climbs too! Definitely try to make it to Fort Drake / Sonoma Coast State Park if you can handle the miles, that was my favorite part of Hwy 1.

Do you mean Fort Ross State Park? The old Russian Camp north of Jenner?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Do you mean Fort Ross State Park? The old Russian Camp north of Jenner?
    Yup! Got mixed up. That's pretty far up north for a 3d/2n, but the coast between Fort Ross and Sonoma State Park was my favorite part of Hwy 1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8080.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	844.2 KB 
ID:	243750

Yup, that stretch is great. Sonoma Coast State Park is fantastic ... Arch Rock, awesome running trails on the prairie bluffs above Goat Rock, then the mouth of the Russian River is gorgeous. But the stretch north of the state park is kind of far from the Pt. Reyes Hostel ... Just from there to Goat Rock Beach (mouth of the Russian River) out and back is a century ride at 100 mi. But its sooo worth it to see the mouth of the Russian River on a clear day.

(I took that pic on summer solstice from the Rivers End Inn restaurant above the river ... in late September the sun won't set so far north, but also you'd be there middle of the day anyways if you choose to ride up there!)

So one option would look like :
    Day 1, 55 miles from SF to Pt Reyes Hostelby way of Hawk Hill, out to Sausalito, up Panoramic to Stinson ... hang out at the beach after checking in and watch the sunset!
    Day 2 if going all the way to Jenner would be a big push at 100m
    Day 3 Pt Reyes Hostel out to Nicasio Reservoir and back to SF, about 50 miles

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks for the advice all. Going to keep this pretty simple. Hauling camping gear out would've cost me an extra bag each way (since work only covers 1 checked bag) -- so hostel is a nice choice at <$70 total for 2 nights.

Day 1: Up the coast route to Point Reyes Hostel: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28309797
    Day 2: Around Tomales Bay with plenty of time for eating oysters and drinking beer. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28337889
    Day 3: Into Point Reyes for breakfast, then back to SF via the inland route. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28309928

~120mi with 10k of climbing. Should give plenty of time to enjoy food along the way, some time on the beach, etc.

Looks like a great trip.

Here are my comments:
    * Leave time on Days 1 to enjoy Limantour beach. It really is spectacular, especially at sunset. I know you have it on Day 2 morning but it's really amazing at sunset.
    * Day 3 return route is on really busy roads. Sir Francis Drake has no real shoulder between HWY1 and San Geronimo Valley ... from there it has a very wide shoulder or bike lane. There are many alternates and side streets ... as I previously indicated, heading to Nicasio Reservoir will be less busy and add a few miles.
    I also don't know all the local shortcuts as I used to blindly follow friends around Ross and Fairfax.
    Also, adding the extra little bit around Paradise Cove to Tiburon Point is really nice, you should add it. Tiburon is a cute little ferry town with a nice harbor.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Looks like a great trip.

Here are my comments:
    * Leave time on Days 1 to enjoy Limantour beach. It really is spectacular, especially at sunset. I know you have it on Day 2 morning but it's really amazing at sunset.
    * Day 3 return route is on really busy roads. Sir Francis Drake has no real shoulder between HWY1 and San Geronimo Valley ... from there it has a very wide shoulder or bike lane. There are many alternates and side streets ... as I previously indicated, heading to Nicasio Reservoir will be less busy and add a few miles.
    I also don't know all the local shortcuts as I used to blindly follow friends around Ross and Fairfax.
    Also, adding the extra little bit around Paradise Cove to Tiburon Point is really nice, you should add it. Tiburon is a cute little ferry town with a nice harbor.
    Super helpful thanks. So day 3 more like so: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28309928 Looks like if I wanted to take a ferry just for kicks I could take one from Tiburon back to SF.

And I'll definately check out Limatour at sunset. Figure I'll grab grocery stuffs in Point Reyes station, drop off at the hostel, and go down to the beach for a sunset beer or two.

Bail on taking Sir Francis Drake back to the City. Pick up the Bolinas Ridge fireroad just outside of Olema off Sir Francis Drake. This road climbs moderately to the ridge and basically follows the San Andreas fault. It goes through some nice redwood groves and can be wet if lots of fog. Take that to the Bolinas Fairfax road then to West Ridgecrest which brings you to the shoulder of Tam. From there your options are many but I would suggest going down to Pantoll then accessing the coastal trail into Muir Beach (best downhill in west marin), up Green gulch trail over to Tennessee valley. From Tennessee Valley you could ride through the Marin headlands (two more 20 minute climbs) or you can ride through Sausalito back to the City. All can easily be done on a gravel grinder bike.

Goddamn I miss Marin County. So many options back home. Both of those options sound awesome. I've only done the Paradise Drive loop to Tiburon. A ferry would be awesome vs. dealing with the bridge crossing for a trip like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Bail on taking Sir Francis Drake back to the City. Pick up the Bolinas Ridge fireroad just outside of Olema off Sir Francis Drake. This road climbs moderately to the ridge and basically follows the San Andreas fault. It goes through some nice redwood groves and can be wet if lots of fog. Take that to the Bolinas Fairfax road then to West Ridgecrest which brings you to the shoulder of Tam. From there your options are many but I would suggest going down to Pantoll then accessing the coastal trail into Muir Beach (best downhill in west marin), up Green gulch trail over to Tennessee valley. From Tennessee Valley you could ride through the Marin headlands (two more 20 minute climbs) or you can ride through Sausalito back to the City. All can easily be done on a gravel grinder bike.
    Interesting. That looks like an awesome trail. Maybe I'll ride it instead of the PCH on the way out to the Hostel, and take the PCH back once legs are a bit more tired out.

Name:	P1010069.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	244193
    Found this old photo of Bolinas Ridge looking from Pine Mtn and into Pt. Reyes

Rad.

I'll be on this same setup -- bags may be different depending on how much i need to carry. Burly enough for the Bolinas Ridge?

Cannot see the photo, but people ride that route on hardtail gravel grinders all the time. Some rocky sections but nothing that is too technical more of a flat tire issue than anything else. You can ride 80% trails in Marin on gravel grinders just depends on comfort level, descending speed desired, and spare tubes.

Huh -- lets try that again:

Name:	7H9JPJq.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	244207

That will work. I am sure Charlie Cunningham, Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, and Otis Guy all rode it on bikes like that. Search Bolinas ridge fire road in google images and you will get an idea of the trail type.

If you are hosteling it you could bring way less stuff, just riding clothes and a second set of clothes for the night. I have known lots of folks that do what you are proposing as weekend getaway from the City. Travel light and bring a credit card. A day out to Pt. Reyes, a night in a B and B then back to City on Sunday.

http://www.studiovelocycling.com/com...r-gravel-ride/

In Marshall on Tomales Bay I really recommend Hog Island Oyster Co. Tuesday through Thursday you can shuck your own oysters with beer and wine from their bar. You can also reserve a picnic table in advance with grills. BYO meats and drinks. The other days they sell shucked oysters. It’s one of my favorite spots around the Bay Area, especially on weekdays when it’s really mellow.

The Marshall Store down the road is nice as well, but neither the views or the oysters are quite as good.

In Stinson there’s a cool burger and taco stand right on the beach. And if you have time for a short detour, Bolinas is a cool little (former) hippie town just north of Stinson across the lagoon. There’s no sign since the town has a long history of taking them down to keep outsiders away. Of course that’s a thing of the past with the internet so no need to feel unwelcome; it’s swarmed by SF people all the time these days. A little funkier and more relaxing than Stinson.

The ride to Tiburon is a nice one if you’re thinking about the ferry. It’s known as the Paradise Loop. You could even take a ferry from there to Angel Island to do some riding there and then take a different ferry from there back to SF. Cool camping there too, but it’s probably too late to get a site.

If you end up taking Sir Francis Drake into Fairfax there’s basically a bike route that closely parallels it. There are a ton of turns but it’s well signed and fairly intuitive.

You’ve got a nice trip planned, I hope the fog stays away for you, although a little bit of it is nice.

And this is why you start threads like this. I would've been on busier roads, now I'm riding double track on a ridge.

And I know where to eat oysters and eat tacos on the ride. I'll be there Fri-Sat-Sun so unfortunately I'll be part of the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    And this is why you start threads like this. I would've been on busier roads, now I'm riding double track on a ridge.

And I know where to eat oysters and eat tacos on the ride. I'll be there Fri-Sat-Sun so unfortunately I'll be part of the crowds.
    Also, during DemandForce - if you like Vietnamese food then Tin’s is a great spot for lunch. It will be mobbed, but if you can make the timing work it’s a great spot. I used to work on 4th and Mission years ago, had to plan my lunch habits around which conferences were in town. Oddly enough, the food court at the Westfield Mall has a lot of great options and is lesser known to conference goers ...

Incidentally, Demand Force was not the biggest junkshow, nor Oracle World, nor GDC ... it was the American Geological Union conference. Tons of conference goers, plus City college students taking finals, plus tourist shoppers getting ready for Christmas ... that part of SF is a nightmare in early December.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I have a baby due 9/15, but should come early. I'd be happy to help with shuttle if I can. Just check south closures if your'e looking down there. Should be lots of camping on Bolinas Ridge if your'e stealthy....
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

EDIT: Damnit. Does imgur not work for direct linking pictures anymore?

Thanks for the advice all.

Just got back home from a fun little 3 day ride.

Took CalTrain up from South San Francisco to drop my conference gear at a friends place.

Name:	1OkPCGV.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	249226

Road through the city and did the whole Golden Gate thing.

Name:	9jXOLDM.jpg 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	249227

Stopped at an awesome shop in Sausalito -- Bicycle Odyssey. Shop owner was super friendly and fished out an old frame sticker from when he opened the shop 25ish years ago. I try to get a new sticker for the rig for every multi-day trip I make on it. No pics yet sadly as the adhesive had gone to shit so I need to glue it on.

The suggested a change to my route. So I climbed up old railroad grade road, adding in a summit of Mtn Tam. On the way up got in some nice redwoods.

Name:	A5aggA6.jpg 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	249228

Name:	j0xHDHI.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	249229

Phone died shortly thereafter. Cruised down some nice pavement, and over to Bolinas ridge. Which was probably the highlight miles of the ride -- of course with no phone for photos.

Name:	sgpQO0f.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	249230

By the end of that I was pretty knackered and ate a bunch of pizza in Point Reyes Station.

Name:	zQ4Va0K.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	867.6 KB 
ID:	249231

Hill up to the Hostel wasn't that bad on the way in -- a nice moderate grade. The mornings on the way out sucked though, with a max at 17%.

Name:	xPfAwrZ.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	249232

Day two was super rainy so didn't ride as much as expected. Into town, up Tomales bay. Couple oyster stands like the one pictured, but with the choice of sitting in the rain and shucking my own, or sitting inside and having a friendly bartender serve them to me, I choose the latter.

Name:	0NctVYx.jpg 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	249233

Name:	adBywGB.jpg 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	249234

Did spend a few hours reading on the misty beach at the end of the day, almost completely alone.

Name:	n4bmx6r.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	716.0 KB 
ID:	249235

Final day broke nice and clear. Said goodbye to the hostel.

Name:	7lxuhd5.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	249236

Name:	YKuNuVB.jpg 
Size:	755.5 KB 
ID:	249237

A wet but beautiful ride out.

Name:	YKuNuVB.jpg 
Size:	755.5 KB 
ID:	249237

Then baked goods at Bovine bakery (which apparently is a local cycling mecca for their stellar baked goods.)

Name:	h8MwzNT.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	249238

Over through some rolling hills, and down into another valley of redwoods.

Name:	HQS2RZM.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	870.0 KB 
ID:	249239

Then down a variety of very nice multi-use paths, and into the crazy rich and insanely picturesque Tiburon. Grabbed a few beers and fries, then jumped on the ferry. Crossing the bay was another nice touch to the tour.

Name:	sK12Hi6.jpg 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	249240

Appreciate the advice all.

Now bring on the snow.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 10-01-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Nice trip! Yeah, Bovine Bakery is a classic half-way stop. I have a tart from there in my fridge from last weekend actually.

Nice trip!

Sorry about overselling the weather ... You happened to catch the one rain system at the end of Sept in like the last 10 years! Of course, it made for amazing MTB conditions up here ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Bought my first real mountain bike from Bicycle Odyssey, an American Breezer, with a Suntour Grease Guard groupo. Happy its is still there. Glad you had a good trip, I think this area is a bit underrated for biking but just my opinion. Not much gnarly tech but great access and scenery plus you can stop and get beer, pizza, and coffee in the middle of your ride.

I've done a few of those in shorter sections, bookedmarked for the info and pretty pics, glad you had fun.