Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trailforks vs MTBProject which one do you prefer?

Just wondering what you guys are using, feel free to list others too. I've usually used MTBproject and it is OK, but have little experience with Trailforks or any other MTB specific apps. Opinions?

I generally hate having to rely on these apps while riding, but in new areas sometimes it is a necessity and they can be pretty helpful.

Don't know about trail forks, but mtbproject doesn't allow you to "build a ride" which would be nice when stringing together a bunch of short segments in a dense trail system. That's probably my biggest thing I'd like to see added.

Trailforks does allow you to build a ride but I find the web interface is clunky at best. I don't love it, but I agree that's the main feature MTBProject is lacking.

I use the trailforks app a lot. It allows you to download the maps so they work without cell service.

I have looked at MTBproject before, but the maps always seem hard to read.

You do have to be careful with trailforks and check for recent conditions updates or check strata maps because trails that are decommissioned or neglected are sometimes still listed without a warning.

Trailforks vs MTBProject which one do you prefer?

You can download MTBProject trails as well. Ultimately comes down to coverage for me. MTBP is loaded for my area (and regularly updated), but TF is a ghost town. I only use it for discovery and route finding, so I’m fine with MTBP.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've used both. If the quality of the trail data is equal, I find TF easier to read/use from a user interface point of view.

So here's the deal - for trail coverage, esp in Colorado, you're going to need both. Trailforks seems to have the most coverage, including a lot of rather obscure trails, but has some glaring omissions, IME. With *both* of them, the picture is fairly complete.

There are some trails both of them miss, but... maybe that's for the best.

I just use Strava... it shows way more trails for putting your own loops together. But so much is regional.

I know another complaint about mtbproj is the crowdsourced data allows narcissistic dumbasses to name their own loops, and make up names which can be confusing on trails that actually have names. It's generally pretty easy to use in the areas that I've been to but I'm wondering if Trailforks is more useful in other areas.

I use TF most often because I find it easier to use and it tends to be more complete in the areas I ride most. But I'll often check both before going somewhere new to see what each has. Agreed neither is complete and the omissions you see in each will sometimes make me scratch your head. I haven't used a lot of the more advanced features in either app.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I use the trailforks app a lot. It allows you to download the maps so they work without cell service.
    Are you referring to downloading the regions, or actual base maps that you can save into phone's memory? As far as I can tell you can't download base maps right now in either app which limits their usefulness for navigating when out of cell service. All you see then is a blank screen aside from whatever route is there. You can sort of save basemaps to cache by navigating the map around before you leave cell service, but that only works if you remember to take that step and that you include the right areas - hit or miss. Supposedly pinkbike will be adding map downloads for TF at some point. Fingers crossed. If they do that and keep improving their features I may not need a garmin ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I know another complaint about mtbproj is the crowdsourced data allows narcissistic dumbasses to name their own loops, and make up names which can be confusing on trails that actually have names. It's generally pretty easy to use in the areas that I've been to but I'm wondering if Trailforks is more useful in other areas.
    People do that on trailforks and strava too. Its worse on strava because you get names for every trivial segment not just lame trail names.

We have a local guy here known for building shitty blown out trails. He's lazy and will route them around every bush and minor obstacle rather than cutting those out. Then he will switchback the trail straight up and down a steep hill. Soon as the guy had finished building his last masterpiece my friend got onto strava and named one part of it No Flow and the other part Slot Car, after the ruts that had already formed in all the switchback corners. Ever since people have used those names and ignored the name the builder gave it, cool etched metal signs and all.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    People do that on trailforks and strava too. Its worse on strava because you get names for every trivial segment not just lame trail names.

We have a local guy here known for building shitty blown out trails. He's lazy and will route them around every bush and minor obstacle rather than cutting those out. Then he will switchback the trail straight up and down a steep hill. Soon as the guy had finished building his last masterpiece my friend got onto strava and named one part of it No Flow and the other part Slot Car, after the ruts that had already formed in all the switchback corners. Ever since people have used those names and ignored the name the builder gave it, cool etched metal signs and all.
    Now that's a good way of managing that kinda thing. You'd probably get shot for building your own trail around here.

Trailforks.

It's been amazing to see this develop for Trevor, he started with some local trail info here on the Shore, his initial beta was embedded into our NSMBA website to allow us to show trail maps online. He's done an amazing job working to support the local trail advocacy organizations allowing them to control what does and doesn't get shown. There are also some amazing tools in the background that really help. The trail report issues can be routed directly to the builder responsible for a trail. So when you post a pic of a tree down on the trail and report it the builder gets notified.

I've been extremely happy to use the Routes feature to create our maps for the evening enduro series that the NSMBA runs. It's a slick tool that lets me build a course quickly and mark out the timed stages. It integrates smooth with the Events section.

Maybe not that anyone cares but it's awesome that the owners of PB bought it and from my understanding have no intentions to monetize it. To my knowledge you'll never see ad's on it and they have the resources to continue expanding it and developing it.

I forget if my local club reached out to the trailforks guys or if it was the other way around, but they have been very supportive of making sure that we (as a club) have the support we need as far as trailforks is concerned. One of the trailforks guys did a demo just for our secretary and made sure we understood the various admin capabilities, etc etc. It's been a good tool for updating trail conditions and marking hazards and what not. We get notified when someone tries to add a trail to the region we manage or make an edit to an existing one. Trailforks also makes it easy for riders to donate to our club if they want...all in all it's been a good resource for us.

I found a few trails in the Blue Mountains of Oregon on MTB Project that were not listed on Trailforks. A local asked how the hell I knew about the trails once seeing my UT plates. I like trailforks better overall, but I wonder if MTB project has more hidden jems on it.

Side note: How does Tahoe and other regions keep some of their well-ridden trails off these apps?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I found a few trails in the Blue Mountains of Oregon on MTB Project that were not listed on Trailforks. A local asked how the hell I knew about the trails once seeing my UT plates. I like trailforks better overall, but I wonder if MTB project has more hidden jems on it.
    Totally regional. Trailforks has most of the "hidden" trails that I'm interested in the specific areas of interest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Side note: How does Tahoe and other regions keep some of their well-ridden trails off these apps?
    Trailforks has a flagging feature. If you see a trail that someone created that shouldn't be public you can flag it and the admins will look into pulling it. Once stuff has been removed from public view and someone goes to try and re-create it the system will not keep re-posting it.

I tend to use TF more, mostly from a functionality standpoint it’s easier on my brain.

The elevation profiles tend to make everything look pretty mellow though, usually you have to read the mileage/gain to figure out that it’s probably gonna be steeper than the graph eludes to.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Trailforks has a flagging feature. If you see a trail that someone created that shouldn't be public you can flag it and the admins will look into pulling it. Once stuff has been removed from public view and someone goes to try and re-create it the system will not keep re-posting it.
    That's a really nice feature to keep the dumbasses in check.

Quote Originally Posted by springsproject View Post
    The elevation profiles tend to make everything look pretty mellow though, usually you have to read the mileage/gain to figure out that it’s probably gonna be steeper than the graph eludes to.
    I've always hated the elevation profile on the mtbproject app because when held vertically, it makes everything look steep AF and when I'm trying to convince my wife to ride a trail with me she's always liek "WTF are you trying to do to me!?!?!" then I turn it sideways and she calms down.

I've always hated the elevation profile on the mtbproject app because when held vertically, it makes everything look steep AF and when I'm trying to convince my wife to ride a trail with me she's always liek "WTF are you trying to do to me!?!?!" then I turn it sideways and she calms down.
    This - any ride can look as ridiculous or as easy as you'd like it to... just adjust the x & y axes.

One of my only beefs with MTBproject... even though I've been guilty of that.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

+1 ^^^ (to Shirk)

Now that's a good way of managing that kinda thing. You'd probably get shot for building your own trail around here.
    Believe me we've had our fingers crossed that he would get shot. One of his earlier creations went onto Marine corps land and switchbacked up to a ridgeline, popping out directly in line of the bases' main rifle range hopping with 18 year olds firing M-16s. An errant bullet would be great for the trail system. The base turned a blind eye to trespassing in that area for many years but couldn't when retards on bikes started appearing like targets during live firing.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This - any ride can look as ridiculous or as easy as you'd like it to... just adjust the x & y axes.
    That's why you need to look at the actual color gradation though... thats a pretty nifty feature.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That's why you need to look at the actual color gradation though... thats a pretty nifty feature.
    Either that or DGAF about it.

only used mtbproject (and not much at that) but this thread encouraged me to DL trailforks too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy