Thread: Tarpon Reels?

Tarpon Reels?

I know, reels are just man jewelry but having two 8wt Sage salt reels ultimately fail on me despite carefully douching, I'm wondering if an investment into an expensiver reel is worth it. Rod in question is a Sage X 11wt. Thoughts on Hatch? I get a good deal on them but I'm open to suggestions. Like most folks, I'll only use this reel for one trip a year at best so I'm loathe to throw down too many clams.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Tibor Gulfstream or GTFO.

Hatch is known for exploding.

Shawn might have an opinion on the subject. It might even have been discussed in another thread a couple months ago.

Snapped can probably tell you the weights and backing capacities of all the latest winches.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It's SnapT.

I've had good luck with Sage reels myself but have seen them go boom. They're korean imports after all. Hatch's are sweet but can fail. Tibor's are heavy as fuck. Nautilus seems to hit a sweet spot between bomber but lightweight. I can't stand a heavy reel on a light modern rod, but YMMV.

As in, “ I’ll snapt yer neck”?

I'm interested in the reputation that hatch reels have for exploding. Mine have been good. Might just be that tarpon are a different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by slmerlo View Post
    I'm interested in the reputation that hatch reels have for exploding. Mine have been good. Might just be that tarpon are a different animal.
    Yes they are.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Yes they are.
    And how....

Gordy Howe.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

So no Hatch. Tibor and Nautilus seem awfully expensive at retail. Do I risk the Hatch with pro deal seeing that mature tarpon volume doesn't seem to be a problem of mine?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

The hatches I've seen go bad are all after heavy use. For a trip a year you'd be fine. Repairs are easy with the swappable drags.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    As in, “ I’ll snapt yer neck”?
    Why so agro?

Tarpon Reels?

what about 3-tand? I know nothing about them other than I have a couple acquaintances who work(ed?) for them.

any first hand experience here?

eta: what about the Allen models that are made in the US?

PM me, I may have something kicking around my desk at work for an OG mag.
    Harvest the ride.

So I talked to a friend at Sage this evening who is going to loan me a reel. I told him about how my last one failed. He said if it explodes, he'll send me five more. Can't really say no to a free loaner!

Those guys at Sage are nice people. Tell them I was going to give you a US made Mirage for free and see if they would out bid that!
    Harvest the ride.

Kick Tag in the nuts for me

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    Those guys at Sage are nice people. Tell them I was going to give you a US made Mirage for free and see if they would out bid that!
    You should definitely send me that Mirage... You know... For testing.

PM me a address and don't kick Tag in the nuts.
    Harvest the ride.

This is what makes TGR special. Fuckos.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Awesome. Gotta post a TR now.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Sounds like you are set, I ended up throwing down for one of these, largely because I got the hook up! http://www.rossreels.com/evolution-r-salt.html

It has only had a handful of tarpon on it, including one 100 plus pound beast and behaved very impressively. And yes, they are special creatures! My absolute favorites actually!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

This is what makes TGR special.

I hope you have had a chance to use the Sage reel, very cool indeed on the loaner offering. I have also been the recipient of generous mags as Mushy has loaned my his 12wt for a couple years. I am doing the honorable thing and returning it to him in a couple extra pieces
    I know its a bit late to the game but I have fished Hatch, Tibor and Galvan extensively in pretty extreme conditions over the last few years and here is my .02. I always shower with my gear at the end of the day, fresh water of course.
    With the gen 2 Hatch saltwater reels all of my issues were addressed. Explosion was not an issue with my 11+ after quite a few large fish. The reel handle was though and hatch replaced it with the new saltwater version. This reel is still going very strong 5 years and maybe 250 days later. My 7+ had seal issues when I purchased it in 2015, it lasted only 20 days before salt water started causing the drag to slip. I sent it back and all the seals were upgraded at no cost to me. I plan on buying a 9+ when I can afford it. The deals available in both the Pro Program and GOVX are pretty sweet.
    I have had a Tibor Riptide that I purchased for stripers and Indian Ocean fish in 2010. One random morning after many days of fishing the cork just separated from the reel housing. Tibor took care of it quickly and this reel is as good as ever even though it does not get all that much use anymore. It does make one hell of a backup for when I am at work.
    A Galvan t-10 was the first time I ever spent money on a reel, I actually bought it on closeout along with a Orvis Zero G 10wt so I pretty much got it for free. The drag is not quite as beefy when I compare it to my Hatch reels but it holds a lot of backing. The drag knob failed on my a few years back and I now carry a couple spares with me when I travel with it. The paint on the inside of the know wore out and salt ate the knob, thus preventing the know from seating properly. There was no damage to the reel housing.

I would say the 11+ Hatch reel or even a 12+ would be great for Tarpon. I have been able to stop 50-80 lb GT's in 100-150 yards so I would say these reels would be a pretty nice match for Tarpon. I have only fished for small tarpon so I have limited experience with them.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

My buddy uses Orvis Hydros reall on his Sage ONE 11 wt, and haven't heard any complaints from him.