Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fresh Water 5-weight Fly Reel Suggestions (Under$200)

Hey fellas. I haven't posted here in years (and really haven't contributed in even longer). I am currently looking for suggestion of a new fresh water fly reel for a 5-weight. I did a quick search, but some more up to date information would be awesome. Most likely putting a SA MPX line on it and fishing dries and nymphs. I have an original Allen that has just seen better days and would love to get something newer. Suggestion of something for under $200? I have been removed from geeking out on fly gear for years and feel pretty useless. Thanks.
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman

Fresh water 5wt reels are just line holders. I would even cut your price to $100. Orvis Clearwater LA, Echo ION are great trout reels for under $100. Both balance well on 9’ 5wt rods and perform great.

The Allen group does a lot of good stuff in your price range if you are looking for something with a drag.

Which is an important question here. How big of fish will you be catching on this rod and in what type of water? That would determine if you would have more fun with a click reel, or something with an actual drag. 2Funky's point is very valid, but there are definitely times in fast water or from a boat, where I really like having a drag...even if it is just for trout.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Thanks 2 Funky. Gretch I fish Deckers and the Willy's around here. But do try to get out on bigger water a few times a year. We met in JH years back at a camping trip, right?
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman

I got a redington rise for my boat rods (5 and 6wts) that are mostly used on the south fork and big trout. Really impressed so far and just over $200. I have been using shit reels as line holders for too long. They are worth a look.

Fresh Water 5-weight Fly Reel Suggestions (Under$200)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    The Allen group does a lot of good stuff in your price range if you are looking for something with a drag.

Which is an important question here. How big of fish will you be catching on this rod and in what type of water? That would determine if you would have more fun with a click reel, or something with an actual drag. 2Funky's point is very valid, but there are definitely times in fast water or from a boat, where I really like having a drag...even if it is just for trout.
    Yeah, that was sorta tongue in cheek. Both the reels I listed have great drags. Hell I put the echo ION to the test on stripers in Cali and it held up just fine on fish up to 12lbs. couldn’t get bigger ones to eat. That was on the 8wt series which is the same exact drag system.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 08-06-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    <snip> Hell I put the echo ION to the test on strippers in Cali

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Lol. Nice catch....

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Shit, that’s a killer deal if ya don’t get sniped.

Sage Click is a great reel.

Quote Originally Posted by NippleHighPow View Post
    Thanks 2 Funky. Gretch I fish Deckers and the Willy's around here. But do try to get out on bigger water a few times a year. We met in JH years back at a camping trip, right?
    Yeah, those pics just showed up on my phone the other day, was such a great trip and too long ago. I can't wait to take my son on a similar trip and hit that many different streams. The mags with boats really hooked us up on the floats (lexi, schwerty)

I don't fish Deckers much, but do hit up the canyon when I can. I am sure I am not the best at fighting fish, but I am always happy to have a reel with a nice drag system on the Platte. Those fish are just too smart, too close to fast water, and the tippet is too light for me to want to land them just using finger pressure. I do whatever I can to get them on the reel right away and even then, you are gonna lose some.

Anyhow, personally, quality disc drag like the new Orvis Battenkill Disc drag at $159 is probably a good option. They took some drag tech when they owned Ross Reels for a bit, so you can get similar quality at a much lower price. It is a mid arbor reel instead of something larger, but you won't typically have much line out when nymphying 7x.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    This is a heck of a deal. Will be interested to see how much it goes for in the end. Three extra spools!

Fresh water 5wt reels are just line holders. .
    Most days that is true...but then there are the days when you unexpectedly connect with something like this and then having a decent drag makes all the difference.

Caught on a 5wt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1112131247 (2).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	515.3 KB 
ID:	243501

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Most days that is true...but then there are the days when you unexpectedly connect with something like this and then having a decent drag makes all the difference.

Caught on a 5wt.

Holy crap - I'd wager *that* was pretty fun...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Holy crap - I'd wager *that* was pretty fun...
    I got walked downstream through 300 feet of rapids to get to a pool slow enough to fight her. It was on the drag the whole way down. The reel was my Bauer MX.

Caught on a 5wt.

Yeah, that was sorta tongue in cheek. Both the reels I listed have great drags. Hell I put the echo ION to the test on stripers in Cali and it held up just fine on fish up to 12lbs. couldn’t get bigger ones to eat. That was on the 8wt series which is the same exact drag system.
    Must have missed this.
    Nice brown. Landed many steelhead up to 10lbs on a 5wt with a click pawl drag back in the day. Still own a few. I run mainly disc drags now. Still like to palm the reel on big fish. All the reels I listed have great drags at a very modest price point.

Must have missed this.
    Nice brown. Landed many steelhead up to 10lbs on a 5wt with a click pawl drag back in the day. Still own a few. I run mainly disc drags now. Still like to palm the reel on big fish. All the reels I listed have great drags at a very modest price point.
    Nope, I was agreeing with your premise that most days a 5wt reel is a very expensive line holder. Look at my pics in the Tenkara thread. I'm landing strong bows in HEAVY current with a 20 year old Orvis Battenkill 3/4 and its drag is so shot that I have to crank over to maximum setting. I've landed thousands of fish (up to 24") on that $80 lineholder. I love it. No worries about scratches with that one. When I have to climb over an obstacle, I just throw the rod over into the bushes on the other side.

I have a Battenkill as well. Damn work horse that won’t die.

I have a Battenkill as well. Damn work horse that won’t die.
    Ye olde Made in England ones sure are.

Ye olde Made in England ones sure are.
    great reels for the $. the only drawback is the 3/4 and the 5/6 sell for close to what they cost new on eBay now.

they used to have replacement drag parts available. dunno if they still do.

Did that brown ever live? Click is dependable and nice and light but so are more than a few of the Orvis reels, but since you mentioned price...Martin's 61 is a simple and cheap reel that you do have to put a little modding to, but can work out pretty good for < $50(new). Some will be on eBay but instead of a day's worth of cleaning you might wanna try to find new... If you're used to modding a reel...need to cut out larger openings, bend back any misc light aluminum and then apply marine goop to prevent any metal catching any line/leader....so there it is....not for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Did that brown ever live?
    Trick question? It’s covered in water, looks like it would live to me. ND can chime in.

It'll have some permanent finger prints on it for sure.

It’s not like he swatted it with a fly swatter.