Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I just started fishing last year. I’ve read lots of Field and Stream though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    understandable, nothing to fish for where you live. maybe when you move to a real mountain playground you'll get good

Fresh Water 5-weight Fly Reel Suggestions (Under$200)

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    understandable, nothing to fish for where you live. maybe when you move to a real mountain playground you'll get good
    Yeah, I’m hoping to learn for the master Jedi’s here. Maybe someone will take me under their wing and show me the way. Where should I move to? I watched “ A River Runs Through It” the other day. Maybe I should move to where it was filmed. I hear trout love night crawlers. May have to get a box and hit the local river with my new ugly stick. It’s super whippy.

Trick question? It’s covered in water, looks like it would live to me. ND can chime in.
    Yeah, it was fine. It never left the water, which was probably about 40 degrees at the time and supersaturated with oxygen from about 200 vertical ft of waterfalls and a half mile of heavy rapids right upstream of where I caught it. I really doubt one can find a stream with more oxygen whipped into it. Nice clean hookset right at the tip of the nose, too.

As to the original question, I'd suggest you check out the Redington Rise if you want a good mix of quality, value and lighter weight. Its a little over $200 tho. The same company that owns Sage owns Redington and I think some of the Sage quality has been rubbing off on Redington gear. I'd get the 3/4 and underspool the backing. You usually don't need a lot of backing for stream fishing. That way you shave an ounce off a typical 5/6 setup.

The Orvis Battenkill mid-arbor is a decent enough reel for the money. Sage's entry level stuff just doesn't feel very durable. Ross Reels has given up on affordable products. It's a shame Ross Reels stopped making their imported line; some of those had the Evolution drag system in a heavier frame, those were really good affordable reels for the money. I'd definitely get something with a drag. A good drag is like good health insurance. Most days you won't use it and wonder why you pay for it. Until you really need it.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 08-08-2018 at 12:42 AM.

I had no doubt. Steved be trollin.

+1 echo ion

You're ok 2Funky...my bad last couple.....

All good.

For cheap reel I like Okuma SLV on Amazon for under $50. Have landed many angry trout on the Missouri on it. The 5/6 true to the name runs a bit large.

When I had a bit more to spend I got a couple Cabela's WLX reels for $150. Sometimes they run good sales. They are based on Lamson drags and have sealed bearings. The 5 is on the smaller size, perfect for my Scott G 5wt light setup. The bigger models are killer budget salt reels about I'm a noob in salt
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Get the red one.

Battenkill

Old school orvis battenkill for
    me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Sage Click is a great reel.
    +1
    It's a really light & fun reel...

Quote Originally Posted by andrehasaposse View Post
    Old school orvis battenkill for
    me.
    I like these too. Cheap and the click versions have a nice sound to them. I just picked up a new one for a single hand spey setup.

check out reels by Allen

I would recommend Sage spectrum water 5-weight Fly Reel. It’s lightweight, works exceptionally well for the price. The Sage Spectrum also features a large arbor. This is going to help you reel in fish quicker and will result in less lost trout, bass, red drum, or any other species you plan on targeting.

Here is also I have reviewed on 5 Best Fly Reels Under $200:
    https://sensiblefishing.com/best-fly-reels-under-200/
    Last edited by Alexa Bliss; 11-30-2021 at 10:49 PM.

This bump should be in the thing that amuses me thread.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda