Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Video of you skiing is best. Otherwise, what runs you're skiing at Abasin, and how you're skiing them is good reference.
    Willy's wide, long chute, max, the spine stuff like that. I'm not straightline bombing it but I'm making it down confidently without falling. I have not done North Pole, turbo or more technical tree stuff

Also for reference haven't done any E chair runs or the windows at Breck

Moment meridian/ commander vs On3p Kartel/ wrenegade

X106. Based on what you are describing as your ability this ski seems to make the most sense. It will allow you to set an edge easily at lower speed which will help with your progress to better skiing. This ski will also put the pedal down when needed. It will float nicely yet give confidence on ice and hardpack. Ski it for a few years then once your ability steps up then at that time I would look into a true charger like the Wren. Even though it sounds like it’s been watered down a little. Just giving another option.

A 184 W96 would be pretty easy going, also, and might be a good intermediate step before a 189 Wren 108.

I haven't skied the X106, but according to blister, it's is quite stiff and pretty light -- I dislike most very stiff and light skis for skiing inbounds because they're too jarring. And it seems like that issue could be exacerbated for someone 80# heavier than myself. But again, I haven't skied or even held a pair.

OP: basically, any ski that's medium-stiff, around 105 underfoot, mid-20s radius, 185-189 cm long (straight tape pull), and weighs between 2200-2400 grams seems appropriate. Don't obsess over it; buy one, preferably used, ski it for a while, and report back what you like/dislike and we'll help you find something else.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-06-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    A 184 W96 would be pretty easy going, also, and might be a good intermediate step.

The X106 seems pretty stiff for the light weight -- seems like that could be kind of jarring. I dislike most very stiff and light skis for skiing inbounds. And it seems like that issue could be exacerbated for someone 80# heavier than myself. But I haven't skied the X106.

188 Invictus 108ti is another ski the OP might consider. Basically, any ski in the med-stiff, around 105 underfoot, mid-20s radius, 185-189 cm long (straight tape pull) seems appropriate.
    The X106 isn’t that stiff. Actually myself as well as LVS feel it could be stiffer for a more demanding skier. I skied it in very hard pack conditions with ice patches and it was very quiet and damp and did nothing I didn’t tell it to. The sides of the runs had about 6-8” of shaved snow from skiers. It skied that stuff at serious speed without issue. Even moving in and out of that stuff back to the very firm groomers the ski didn’t waver. If they were to put metal or other material in that ski to stiffen it and add some weight it would be very high on my list for a 106 waist ski. But for what the OP is looking for it should right at the top for him.
    Fully agree on your last paragraph.

Good to know. Edited my post a bit to be clear that I know nothing about the X106 except what the blister review said.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Ok thanks for all the advice everyone i have some good guidelines to go off and will try and rent something and report back when the season starts. Thanks for all the help

For payment me will except nude pics of the wife or gf. If you have both even better.

I haven’t ridden the old wren and only have had a day on the new 186 wren 108 but it doesn’t seem all that demanding to me. It’s super easy to release the tails yet super stable and damp. I’m curious to see how difficult it is to ski it in bumps and tight trees but I’m thinking it will be my go-to resort ski this year. My impression was that it would be no problem at all for a larger intermediate. But I haven’t skied much else in that class of skis.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    For payment me will except nude pics of the wife or gf. If you have both even better.
    Unfortunately my friend I don't have either so would a picture of my hand work?

Moment meridian/ commander vs On3p Kartel/ wrenegade

Hand works. PM it to 2funky.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Another ski to look at is the Dynastar X106. It would be a great ski for what you are wanting.
    interesting. I recently parted ways with a pair of 182 X106's and I cannot recall a ski I've disliked more. It's light and that lightness and lack of dampening is further amplified by it's stiffness. It had the stiffest tail of any ski I've ever been on. Why so stiff on such a ski? Just bizarre. They are great in great conditions but so is just about anything. Maybe a heavier skier (I'm 165) would find them different than I did.

I have you by 30+ pounds. I did not think they were overly stiff at all especially in the tail. I think they could actually become stiffer. Heavier would be a good thing as well.

Check out Romp as well (rompskis.com), they have quite a few shapes, do semi- and full-custom work, and are also located in CO. If you do the online 'Learn about Romp' thing on their site you can also score some sweet discounting.