Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Move to Sandpoint, ID ?

Seriously considering moving our act from Colorado to Sandpoint. Any info on resort, snow conditions, side and bc skiing, road & mt biking would be appreciated. Have skied and been there in the summer a couple times years ago, but I know it's changed a lot in the last 20 years. Give me the pros and especially your cons please.
    Gravity Junkie

Schweitzer is a great hill (when it's not foggy). Lots of winter touring opportunities from Schweitzer if you know where to go. Summer water sports if you're into that. FWIW, northern Idaho vibe is unsettling to me. Maybe it's just me.

It’s full of redneck white supremacist. Racism is alive and well. The mountain is fogged in 90% of the time. BC skiing is overrun with slednecks. Summers of full of asshole tourists. Traffic is horrible. The lake is cold and full of douche yachts.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    It’s full of redneck white supremacist. Racism is alive and well. The mountain is fogged in 90% of the time. BC skiing is overrun with slednecks. Summers of full of asshole tourists. Traffic is horrible. The lake is cold and full of douche yachts.
    Cmon man. The lake is not that cold.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

2FUNK and I likely have pretty much the same take on the place. I was trying to be nice.

Try Portland, it’s 6% less racist.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

There's always Silverwood. Pretty fun water park there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

When did they move Silverwood to Sandpoint? Maybe last night?

Try Tahoe bro, and settle down
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

When did they move Silverwood to Sandpoint? Maybe last night?
    Eh, 30 min away. It counts as the "area"

I hear Boise is nice.

Hi Mudfoot! May I suggest that instead of the whitebread monotony that is northern Idaho that you "think outside the box" and instead come bring your "A-Game" to the mountains of the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? I would proffer that all things considered, the New England area is the clear choice. The conditions are actually more dependable and consistent than Idaho due to the superior snowmaking and cold temperatures combined with ample snowfall. Also the terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") and the setting is Norman Rockwell-esque! Pursuing the plethora of hot NYC/NJ and Boston "chicas" in their stretch pants can be even better than the great skiing, but I must warn you they are quite feisty and outspoken, unlike the laid-back western gals. Try Killington, Vermont, and when you score your first powder day in the glades of "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy" , you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! Both Smugglers Notch, Vermont or Waterville Valley, New Hampshire would be also be good choices.
    While I am here,I would like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots, NewSchoolers, Pugskiazoids, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS and/or "trolling" is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Cmon man. The lake is not that cold.
    The lake does warm up (on top/at shallow beaches) by about September most years; seems like smoke helps.

The white, prepper contingent has a lot of heroes around, but there are more leftists and moneyed douchebags than any of them needs. Locals are born, not moved. Friction burns both sides.

I liked McCall when I was there a few years ago, maybe look into that?

But I thought Sandpoint had a lot of art galleries and film festivals and shit and that the aryan guys were a small minority and out in the boonies, no?

Things are well distributed where both nuts and boonies are concerned. There's a member of the Southern Poverty Law Center's watch lists inside the municipal boundary and the well-heeled boony residents get to fly over the off-grid preppers from their private air strips 20 minutes from town. (For now?) ZZ Top did play a 2 hour set last night, though, so people were getting along better this week--hope always runs high in anticipation.

Yeah I’ll feel safe going to Schweitzer and hang out in sandpoint but I’m thinking about owning a gun before I go hiking around that neighborhood... gotta be careful.

What do you do for work? There really aren’t any jobs unless you wanna work in tourism industry.

I wasn't expecting these answers. I was there a few weeks ago and obviously misread the vibe. Been there maybe five times in fifteen years.

Too bad about the fog. It makes sense now.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I liked McCall when I was there a few years ago, maybe look into that?
    McCall may as well be in a different state. There's northern ID panhandle and there's the rest of ID.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    . . . and that the aryan guys were a small minority and out in the boonies, no?
    No

Greg is too funny.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Move to Sandpoint, ID ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Seriously considering moving our act from Colorado.
    What don’t you like about SW CO, other than it’s been really hot, dry and smokey this summer?

ID has the same potential, with less altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    What don’t you like about SW CO, other than it’s been really hot, dry and smokey this summer?

ID has the same potential, with less altitude.
    We retired a few years ago and started spending our winters at other areas (Solitude, Fernie, Jackson Hole) and used Mt. Collective to hit several areas in the US and Canadian Rockies early and late season. Basically living the dream while our aging bodies hold out, at least that's the excuse we use for spending our savings on as much skiing as possible. We've come to the conclusion that global warming is shortening the ski season on both ends, moving the snow line up and fucking up the snow with rain. We figure our best bet is going north. Familiar with the Whitefish and the NW fog problem. We need good mountain biking and reasonably good skiing at a location that allows trips to other ski areas. Sandpoint seemed to fit the bill, but between the fog and what we are finding out is a rather weak mt. bike scene it sounds like we'll have to keep looking. Appreciate all of your beta. Durango has incredible mt. biking and the southern Utah canyon country, but it is getting hotter every year. Finally got the local fires out, but now we're getting smoke from the Cali fires for who knows how long. Would consider moving to Canada but that presents a whole other set of issues.

The problem is that the weather patterns are changing so historical snowfall averages don't mean much any more, which makes it more of a crap shoot than ever. Looking for a decent local area with the potential for 4 hour trips to other areas, and proximity to Canada is a real plus.
    Gravity Junkie

Interesting perspective. Thanks. I was just in Ashland, Oregon where I went to college many years ago. The whole area is so dry now and the temp is near 100 for weeks on end. Mt Ashland is closed more than it is open. When I was there MA would get 50 ft of snow. Ashland is right on the edge of desert to the east and forest to the west so I believe it is a prime example of climate change.

Excellent wine country now.

I had a gf from Hayden Lake Idaho. Blonde of course..

great town, I miss it dearly
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    proximity to Canada is a real plus.

That’s definitely a huge plus.
    But I’m still banking on altitude.

I love Sandpoint. I grew up very near there. Lots of crazies in North Idaho, but lots of good people, too.

Lots of biking, breweries, decent music comes through, it's very pretty...

I think most people who can live and let live do ok there.