Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I liked McCall when I was there a few years ago, maybe look into that?

But I thought Sandpoint had a lot of art galleries and film festivals and shit and that the aryan guys were a small minority and out in the boonies, no?
    Exactly. Sandpoint itself is full of yuppie New Yorkers and burnt out Californians who cashed out and are spending their retirement protesting the jobs that built north Idaho.

The reasonable folks with respectable hair cuts and modest munitions stockpiles are a couple miles out of town in any direction.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Exactly. Sandpoint itself is full of yuppie New Yorkers and burnt out Californians who cashed out and are spending their retirement protesting the jobs that built north Idaho.

The reasonable folks with respectable hair cuts and modest munitions stockpiles are a couple miles out of town in any direction.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TGR Forums mobile app
    What jobs "built" North Idaho? Construction of trophy homes for out-of-staters? The local economy has never produced anything except meth and strippers with C section scars.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    What jobs "built" North Idaho? Construction of trophy homes for out-of-staters? The local economy has never produced anything except meth and strippers with C section scars.
    Logging, mining, etc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Potatoes?

Logging, mining, etc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Take 30 seconds to look up the BLS employment figures for natural resource extraction, then take 5 minutes to cruise through C d'A and count the meth cookers and busted strippers. Then ponder whether Northern Idaho counts as "built" for 10 minutes. Then get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Potatoes?
    Southern Idaho.

I suggest you go visit first.

There just are not too many cool places to live. Places like this sound good, until you meet your neighbors.

I reccomend a 4x4 van and storm chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

Is that why you moved to tornado alley? Lol..

How’s the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

I agree.

The OP already lives in a nice place and moving would incur significant costs, with no clear benefit IMHO.
    As I get older, my desire to travel for skiing has diminished. But I'm also ski in/out on a pretty great hill.
    It's been a ruff year in the SW, but it will get better.

We almost moved to Sandpoint a few years ago, but ultimately the lack of good jobs changed our minds. If you get a good gig, you're gambling that you won't lose it, because if you do, you're gonna have a tough time finding something to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Is that why you moved to tornado alley? Lol..

How’s the back?
    Better, but we’ll see how it holds up when I start working out again.

Everything Sandpoint has Whitefish has, and better. Plus MT instead of ID.

mining
    Idaho's Silver Valley (Wallace) is a great example of what mining has built in the panhandle, and nobody in their right fucking mind wants to live there.

Sending vibes to Raynord22 who just relocated to Sandpoint in the last month. Place sounds fucking awful. I would not wish that fog and shitty mtn biking upon anyone. Downtown is an old west shoot out waiting to happen. Love and light man!

Logging, mining, etc.
    Those industries died 35 years ago.
    I think there's a lot of work in toxic waste cleanup in the Silver Valley...

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Those industries died 35 years ago.
    I think there's a lot of work in toxic waste cleanup in the Silver Valley...
    I've got friends who grew up in Wallace; two of them have rare cancers. Beautiful place, but not worth the exposure.

Same for Kellogg.

Got offered a pretty good job with housing there. 1 drive around town convinced me to point it back east to MT and keep driving. No regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Everything Sandpoint has Whitefish has, and better. Plus MT instead of ID.
    I didn't want to say it, but I'm glad someone did. Fernie to the north if Canada is a target.

ETA: @Raynord22, hadn't heard of your misfortune; PM if seeking to commiserate.

Come visit sandpoint, coeur d’alene, Spokane and see if any of those places are something you can tolerate. If so, it’s a beautiful place.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Same for Kellogg.

Got offered a pretty good job with housing there. 1 drive around town convinced me to point it back east to MT and keep driving. No regrets.
    I wish more people did this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I wish more people did this.
    I haven't been there in a few years but last time I was there I thought I could robably live happily in Sandpoint. Maybe even Bonners Ferry.

Let's talk Weippe and Pierce.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I haven't been there in a few years but last time I was there I thought I could robably live happily in Sandpoint. Maybe even Bonners Ferry.

Let's talk Weippe and Pierce.
    Been to both. Let’s not......

I met a really bizarre cultish family in Chile a few years ago. Kids all wearing those same handmade blue dresses. They were helping their family build a cabin somewhere near Coyhaique but were from northern Idaho.

Flash forward a few years later and I'm working in Bonner's Ferry and I go to a local bakery/cafe. Strange vibe but good bread. They have a map on the wall of the places their family goes and I get talking to someone behind the counter, and it turns out the family had built some cabin near Coyhaique.

I spent a week or so working on the Kootenai River near Bonner's Ferry, so have limited experience there. I thought the area was really pretty and there's a really cool wildlife refuge near the border. As soon as you get near the BC border the mountains just open up and look more like the Rockies again. I've spent more time in CDA too and passed through Sandpoint. Seems like good access to skiing/biking/hiking/fishing and certainly not crowded once you get past CDA. With that said I'm not sure I'd ever want to settle in the Panhandle region. Plus CDA area is overrun with Californians. At the time I was living in Lewiston and as much as I love the countryside and mountains in north/central Idaho, it's too far/remote from any major hubs and lacks any cultural diversity, local colleges, decent jobs, etc. for me at least. If I had the money, I'd go for Missoula over CDA or Sandpoint.

Feb 2015, in a bar in Sandpoint:

I met the President/COO of Emmrod Fishing Gear, makers of indestructible stainless-steel fishing gear for "survival situations" (this is northern Idaho, after all.) After several adult beverages, he told me, "If a man and a woman have sex with only each other - nothing premarital, just exclusively with each other - they cannot get a venereal disease. It's impossible, right? So how did the the writers of the bible know this? How could they know about AIDS? I'll tell you how: It's truly the Word of God!" He then sat back and smiled at me, daring me to refute his iron-clad logic. I just nodded, happy to bask in the glow of such a wise man.

His wife then said, "There's no way we're descended from monkeys. That is absurd; there are still monkeys!" I replied, "I'm kinda primitive, so maybe the idea has merit..." She did not laugh.

His wife then said, "I really like your hat!"

Man I hope more people who want to move to Northern Idaho read this thread. The place sounds atrocious.