Rabbit Ears To Fish Creek...route?

Looked on trailforks, but it is a little confusing...anyone recommend the 'best' route?
    Thanks!

https://www.trailforks.com/region/ra...2&m=trailforks
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I already told you, fucker.

Yeah, well what if you are wrong, maaaan

(I trust your route, looks good!)

What other way were you considering going?

I have no idea, but I did this ride maybe a decade ago. Fish Creek scared the crap out of me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

@Danno - you're not the 1st one I've heard describe FC like that.

We came down the resort-side, so I don't know how FC is, personally.

It looks like a route in from the summit of Buff Pass might be just as reasonable... although I expect the shuttle up there would take a bit longer than the Rabbit Ears shuttle.

I was looking forwards to the mileage of the Rabbit Ears way. It looked like you could also take the Wyoming trail?
    Then it is a bit of a spaghetti bowl above the resort...
    I guess I'll bring gform knees...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I was looking forwards to the mileage of the Rabbit Ears way. It looked like you could also take the Wyoming trail?
    Then it is a bit of a spaghetti bowl above the resort...
    I guess I'll bring gform knees...
    You won't be going the resort way. It's really straightforward to get to Fish Creek...

Yeah, if I recall it was pretty straightforward. We rode some forest roads off the pass, took a left on a trail, then another left which was fish creek.

After my third endo happened about 100 yards from a place where I would have died, I totally lost my mojo and walked a lot. But I am and always have been a hack on my bike.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I haven't been in a looong time but that was far and away my favorite ride when I lived in Steamboat. Go up the dirt road past the Ears about 5 miles or so and it ends at the 1101 trailhead. That's the trail that runs all the way across to the top of Buff Pass and Fish Creek and Spring Creek drop off along the way. FC skeered you guys? Ha! You shoulda tried in back it the late 80's with flexy steel frames, canti brakes, 6 or 7 speed freewheels and 1" threaded flexy headsets and stems. That was a challenge I've heard that the worst sections have been pussified since The last time I was up there they were still expanding the reservoir and the trail was a bit convoluted but still went through and then we rode the FS road back towards the top of Spring Creek and down that into town.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    <snip>FC skeered you guys? Ha! You shoulda tried in back it the late 80's with flexy steel frames, canti brakes, 6 or 7 speed freewheels and 1" threaded flexy headsets and stems. That was a challenge
    Listen, son - I've done Porc Rim on a bike like that. At least FC is short.

Yeah I was up, down and all around Moab back in the day too. Shit, we used to ride with all sortsa tools, extra freewheels and brake pads in our packs, sometimes even an extra tire or two cuz sidewalls were so stout back then. Not long after the section of the 1101 that goes through the Zirkels was shut down to mtb's a bunch of us did the ride through and made it uneventfully but had there been an issue we were obviously pretty far out into the middle of never never land on that old equipment. We used to go places that it would have been a couple of days walk out many times, like the ride into Hole In The Wall.

My first Porc was in 1991...Rock Shox existed, but I certainly didn't have one.
    Can't even count the amount of parts we broke.

My first Porc was in 1991...Rock Shox existed, but I certainly didn't have one.
    Can't even count the amount of parts we broke.
    Yeah... my 1st Porc adventure involved waking up at camp at the river right across from the exit for the trail.

I commented to my buddy that I'd heard Porc Rim was supposed to be a really good ride.

So up we went.

Haha...sucker punched!
    We rode it as a loop from town (but it was just from the Castle Valley lookout and down)

Haha...sucker punched!
    We rode it as a loop from town (but it was just from the Castle Valley lookout and down)
    Yeah - we dropped down to the "original" entrance by the cattle trough and commented on how that was a pretty shitty DH considering all the climbing we'd just done.

And we were too knackered to turn around and even consider climbing back to the overlook and doing it properly. We'd run out of water about 3/4 of the way up... we just coasted down Sand Flats to town and ate everything we could get our hands on.

And then you had to ride upstream back to camp...

And then you had to ride upstream back to camp...
    I don't remember that being too bad. We must have gotten really smashed in town before we did that.

This is the first bike I rode it on...teeth rattler

I bought this the next year:

Nice old shit!

I had one of these (with a rigid fork):

Shortly after my Moab trip I got one of these, which came stock with an ABYSMAL elastomer Judy and a Fox Alps-4 shock... which began my long-lived hatred of most things Fox.

I got an RS-1 fork for the Klien (painted to match by Klein) in 93...
    I sorta wish I kept it for nostalgic purposes, but I would NEVER ride it.

I got an RS-1 fork for the Klien (painted to match by Klein) in 93...
    I sorta wish I kept it for nostalgic purposes, but I would NEVER ride it.
    Yeah. The Giant was fun... the Trek was as well. But man, have mt bikes come a long way. The Trek tried to kill me on multiple occasions. Mostly due to the rear shock. Well... and the stupid URT design.

I didn't get a dually until 99' or so (Marin) when I bought a shop. They had just started to weed out the *really* bad designs...

I rode a full rigid '84 Diamondback Ascent until spring of '94 when I got a GT something or other with a Rock Shox mag 21(?) and promptly upgraded that to a Quad, or was it Quad > Mag? Too long ago... Rode that all around the Rockies and some in Cali before it got stolen in BC. Then I got a Crestone Peaks something or other full squish in late fall '95. It was pretty horrible with a RST 80mm fork and elastomer bumpers in the seatstays and a sleeve that acted as a bb pivot for the chainstays. I rode the snot out of that thing all over out west that year and for almost 2 years in the northeast before going back to a hardtail but this time with a 120mm Marzochi Z3LT. Bumped that to a Jamis Dragon and put a Black 100mm fork on it in 1999. First real squishy bike was a 01 Jamis Dakar XLT, it sucked I still have the Dragon hanging downstairs and ride it at least once a year to remind myself where we came from.