Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Does jlev have a sister, gf, wife, mom?

Didn’t it go line was bought by karhu who was later bought by k2?

I haven’t read every post, but is Sterbenz moving onto to another manufacturer or starting his own thing again?

Quote Originally Posted by JLev View Post
    ...running extremely lean and selling exclusively direct online, I wanted to own my own ski business again. 4 yrs later proved to myself this new business model is the only way to operate a financially stable SMALL business in the ski industry... it worked!
    Anyone know how this worked out for 333? ;-)

Because you think I should be here only to promote my products, instead of as a skier having a transparent and honest conversation about our sport and industry?
    Oh, definitely not. Keep that shit coming! Just don’t get mad if others join in. (“Conversation”, right?)

I think I speak for many when I say that if you are here to do that - awesome. I guess time will tell?

Maybe we need an industry/biznass sub forum. That could get interesting.

Btw: when did everyone get so quick on the “hater” and “tough guy” triggers? I haven’t seen much hate at all in this thread. Have seen zero tough guy behavior. Maybe my definition is different.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Btw: when did everyone get so quick on the “hater” and “tough guy” triggers? I haven’t seen much hate at all in this thread. Have seen zero tough guy behavior. Maybe my definition is different.
    I think the conversation is discussing TGR in general more so than this thread.

333 never stood a chance. And that shit show is still brought up in 2018.

Posting from other thread:

Whoa, Crazy! End of an era. Mad respect to Sterbenz for all he did and fighting the good fight all those years. I was always a huge fan. Even back in early High School when I trolled him in Freeze Magazine "ask a pro", asking him he preferred skiing in granny panties or man thongs, he took the bait.

4frnt seems like it's full east coast now, and I wish them well in a new era. I think JLev knows about brand differentiation, so hopefully, J Skis can stay newschool and 4frnt core/big mountain/freeride. This years line seems to support that. It's not like he doesn't know how to make innovative products: Ostness Dragon, 1260, Mothership, Pollard's skis.

Crazy times for a much loved company, nonetheless. I still vote for limited release EHP!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Are you talking about the Knee Bindinding dude ? We were pretty harsh on him. But he was a sanctimonious douche and deserved it.
    Benny coulda used those bindings getting off the lift.

I have a pair of 191 Originators and a 4FRNT sweatshirt. The 191's are great conversation starters on the lift.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    this seems reasonable and relevant
    unless youre a real skier taking an "industry" break from mounting
    to say it will never be a likeathon of zukerbitch "friends" or ego stroking fart sniffers
    and fixin something that imho dont need much fixin aint my job
    nor the moderation teams
    some of dem meany heads are my bros anyhow
    yet its all spelled out in the stickey no one seems to read
    including the choosing to #sandpaperjackoffbattle with trolls
    or couch surf to a local pow stash tour of epiciness
    or garner respect like iggy cody mntlion bunion and a bunch of others in the industry
    aint really that hard to be a solid contributating member of a real skier community
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    Yo poliassfuckers
    theres a special basement for your lame shit

Since you're here @JLev -- I loved my old Prophet 100s but not their tip rocker profile. If I wanted a ski of similar flex/dampening/edge grip, but with a smoother longer rocker profile of the old Prophets, Masterblaster or MSP99?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It’s that thick skin requirement that makes me appreciate this place... most of the time. And to be honest, it’s way softer now than it was several years ago (mostly for good).
    The need for a thick-skin at the tgr is a big reason why I finally created an account after all those year of lurking. Plus, having a little anonymity can still be a benefit. I like it here way more than all that social media bullshit I used to do.

And thanks for the chime-in JLev. Been looking at scoring new planks this fall, and you're giving me reason to look more closely at Jskis and 4frnt.

Anyone ever mentioning TGR messageboard in the industry say it's too agressively negative to be worth their while going on here and shareing their knowledge. I think it would be a smart initiative for the members to settle down the few agro members and trollers in hopes of broader participation. it's a small freakin industry so it's super counterproductive to not make all feel welcome... It's just skiing.
    Exactly why I have all but quit posting on here.... The forums used to be full of good solid info on a variety of things, now there is too much BS to weed through it to find anything worth reading.

I don't wear enough t-shirts to justify a "It's Just Skiing" shirt -- but put that shit on a hat and I'll be first in line.

A thread on TGR becomes more informative as it goes on? Who knew?

I'd also buy a "its just skiing" hat.

I think it would be a smart initiative for the members to settle down the few agro members and trollers in hopes of broader participation. it's a small freakin industry so it's super counterproductive to not make all feel welcome... It's just skiing.
    I agree 100%. But from the beginning TGR has been adamant about no moderation, so the very few people who actually got banned were over the top, like white supremacists like Johnny Snow. (Who is back and now a member, again.) it's great to see Patagonia or TNF ads and such near his posts, so on-brand, right? It's TGRs board though, and their rules. Trolls end up in 'safe spaces', don't blame us.

There's a lot of good stuff here though, all in the Tech Talk forum really, but anyone who thinks the industry should become more involved in this board without some serious trepidation is fucking bat-shit crazy. And the only demographic represented strongly here is 40~ year old ex-ripper with two kids who buys a ski way to big for him and what he normally skis. But he has money which is great! OENP is a good example of making it work here, it seems though.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Didn’t it go line was bought by karhu who was later bought by k2?

I haven’t read every post, but is Sterbenz moving onto to another manufacturer or starting his own thing again?
    Sterbenz is working with a startup company outside of the ski industry, can’t remember the name of the top of my head but the link on page 1 has that info.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    unless youre a real skier taking an "industry" break from mounting
    to say it will never be a likeathon of zukerbitch "friends" or ego stroking fart sniffers
    and fixin something that imho dont need much fixin aint my job
    nor the moderation teams
    some of dem meany heads are my bros anyhow
    yet its all spelled out in the stickey no one seems to read
    including the choosing to #sandpaperjackoffbattle with trolls
    or couch surf to a local pow stash tour of epiciness
    or garner respect like iggy cody mntlion bunion and a bunch of others in the industry
    aint really that hard to be a solid contributating member of a real skier community
    "Afraid is wrong word, industry sees the forum as not credible due such loud voices of trollers and haters, so don't bother taking seriously nor participating. Not something a real skier would be proud of."

i took "real skier" to refer essentially to a community. i wasn't thinking about industry perspective, but community perspective -- not shitting where you eat/sleep/live or allowing it to be shat on. i'm the last person here who would advocate a likeathon. my comment had nothing to do with moderation and with the mods here it's not really more than self-moderation, is it? they are mags, not anonymous corporate overseers. the forum is what it is. it's not for everybody for various reasons. i'm still here but i can usually understand why some aren't.

Sterbenz gone from 4frnt, end of an era

I never meant “afraid” when I said that. Wrong word choice by me. I meant what Jlev said prior, and then after. I get you JLev! I’m not a hater! Do what you gotta do.

I think there is a small, but profitable market on TGR though. We ask of simple things, and if you deliver, you get our trust and loyalty. And money of course.

If J skis made some 194cm skis, I’d buy. Everything else seems good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've listened to 3 or 4 of the podcasts with you guys and enjoyed all of them. One thing that really sticks out (although I cant remember if you or Sterbenz said it) is "4FRNT is trying to act like Armada who is trying to act like Salomon". Thought it was wise words on the problem for small brands and probably why a lot have failed. Seems like JSkis has avoided this issue but what is the long term solution for 4FRNT and others?

Quote Originally Posted by skiingintherain View Post
    I've listened to 3 or 4 of the podcasts with you guys and enjoyed all of them. One thing that really sticks out (although I cant remember if you or Sterbenz said it) is "4FRNT is trying to act like Armada who is trying to act like Salomon". Thought it was wise words on the problem for small brands and probably why a lot have failed. Seems like JSkis has avoided this issue but what is the long term solution for 4FRNT and others?
    Thanks for listening!

The words I live by in business is, "No one needs more of the same thing". As obvious as this may sound, it's very un-obvious when you're in the heat of the moment making decisions with pressure to keep up with your competition and make more money by your boss... by taking their market share.

I ask myself with every decision I make in every aspect of my business "will this make us more different than our competition?" which I believe is much more important than asking, "does this make us more like our competition?".

The second solution is extreme creativity and comfort in being a rebel. Not something that necessarily comes with being a brand managers. Also not something the corporate leaders necessarily are open to. The bigger you get, the more scared most corporations are of not following their competition.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I agree 100%. But from the beginning TGR has been adamant about no moderation, so the very few people who actually got banned were over the top, like white supremacists like Johnny Snow. (Who is back and now a member, again.) it's great to see Patagonia or TNF ads and such near his posts, so on-brand, right? It's TGRs board though, and their rules. Trolls end up in 'safe spaces', don't blame us.

There's a lot of good stuff here though, all in the Tech Talk forum really, but anyone who thinks the industry should become more involved in this board without some serious trepidation is fucking bat-shit crazy. And the only demographic represented strongly here is 40~ year old ex-ripper with two kids who buys a ski way to big for him and what he normally skis. But he has money which is great! OENP is a good example of making it work here, it seems though.
    I only said that because seems many here were surprised I came on to talk honestly and appreciated it, especially the person who started this thread so negatively. So I figured I'd state the obvious, that others with a variety of new, different and insightful perspectives would join in more often too if...

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I don't wear enough t-shirts to justify a "It's Just Skiing" shirt -- but put that shit on a hat and I'll be first in line.
    I did have one previously but sold out last year and we got bored of it, I actually just released this new shirt with "It's Just Skiing", I'll look into putting this new graphic on a patch on a hat. Will take a month or so but a great idea. Thanks!

Change is scary
    Change can be good, like rocker
    Change can be bad, like snowlerblades
    Change can be minor, like rewording product descriptions
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Since you're here @JLev -- I loved my old Prophet 100s but not their tip rocker profile. If I wanted a ski of similar flex/dampening/edge grip, but with a smoother longer rocker profile of the old Prophets, Masterblaster or MSP99?
    I get this question daily, and it's an easy answer. Being that I designed the Line Prophet series the J skis are most like it. Both the Masterblaster & Metal ski have the same feel but MUCH more modern tip shape for improved float in soft snow while maintaining all the hook and grip you love of the Proghet on firm snow. For 96mm wide The Masterblaster or 106mm wide The Metal. Remember money back guarantee if you don't like after skiing a few days. If any other product questions email: info@jskis.com

I did have one previously but sold out last year and we got bored of it, I actually just released this new shirt with "It's Just Skiing", I'll look into putting this new graphic on a patch on a hat. Will take a month or so but a great idea. Thanks!
    Rad. I'll watch for it.

I get this question daily, and it's an easy answer. Being that I designed the Line Prophet series the J skis are most like it. Both the Masterblaster & Metal ski have the same feel but MUCH more modern tip shape for improved float in soft snow while maintaining all the hook and grip you love of the Proghet on firm snow. For 96mm wide The Masterblaster or 106mm wide The Metal. Remember money back guarantee if you don't like after skiing a few days. If any other product questions email: info@jskis.com
    Thanks for the info. Avant Alpine -- a local demo shop -- carries JSkis demos. Look forward to getting out on it early this season.

The words I live by in business is, "No one needs more of the same thing". As obvious as this may sound, it's very un-obvious when you're in the heat of the moment making decisions with pressure to keep up with your competition and make more money by your boss... by taking their market share.

I ask myself with every decision I make in every aspect of my business "will this make us more different than our competition?" which I believe is much more important than asking, "does this make us more like our competition?".
    Challenge Q: I don't know jack about J Skis -- what differentiates J Skis from 4FRNT? (Also, where can I demo them in CA?)

Super Challenge Q: As CEO of both J and 4FRNT, how can you give full attention to driving both companies? Is there not an inherent conflict of interest and priorities? While you may be talented, it seems like an impossible conflict to resolve. Therefore, I recommend you hire me to take over as CEO of 4FRNT.

PM me for details.