Best 40-50L Pack

Hey y'all

I'm looking for something around 50L to be able to use as a pack for overnight (1-3 night) missions that still skis well.

Currently I have a 31L that is almost too small for day trips and a 70L that sucks to ski with.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Assuming you're looking for non-airbag, I'm a big fan of the Mammut Spindrift Guide.

I have a black diamond shadow 55litre I’ve been meaning to post up. Keep trying to keep it for your intended purpose but I haven’t used it apart from a two week vacation that I used it on the plane to carry clothes. Functional light pack. $40 plus shipping and it’s yours

Best? Or best value? Or cheapest that doesn't suck?

If you really do mean best, McHale little big pack (LBP). It carries head and shoulders above any other pack I’ve used, including Alpine Threadworks and Clio Gear.

If you mean best value, the answer might be the same, depending on a few factors.

If you just want something cheap that doesn't suck, there are tons of mass-produced 50L packs out there -- go try some on to decide which one fits and has the features you like, and then buy it used or on sale. People seem to like Cilo Gear; my used 60L worksack works fine but I plan to replace it with a McHale pack when I can afford it.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-08-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

www.cilogear.com

This is my ski/hut/overnight backpack/climb pack. Pretty versatile with all the adjustments. Not cheap, be tough as nails and can really take abuse. I have the 45L ski pack.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The Alpine Threadworks Sellkirk is a roomy 47l. This pack is hands down the best piece of equipment I own, and the best-made piece of equipment I have ever purchased. Made to order for your measurements, but priced like an off the shelf high end pack. http://alpinethreadworks.com/products/selkirk.html

Everything is dialed for bc skiing and touring. Excellent pockets, no exterior dongles. Even the zipper pulls are huge for use with gloves. Skis great because it fits literally perfectly. I use it for backpacking during the summer, as well.

This is also my daily touring pack because it skis so well, everything is where it should be, and it weighs less than a kg

I found a 40L with an expandable top can carry a lot of extra gear, I got a couple of good arcterxy packs the bora 40 and the Kea 37 which were not too expensive but they quit making those models and their present offerings seem kind of slim pickings and fucking expensive
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have a Deuter Ride Tour 45+ I like a lot, the suspension and hip belt are great and it has an external avy tools pocket which a lot of the more climbing oriented packs don't have. My inner weight weenie is eyeing that 1kg Alpine Threadworks pack though.

I did the same research last season. Just grabbed a Gregory Targhee 45 last season. Perfect for what you describe, affordable, and easily available. https://gearinstitute.com/gear-revie...ry-targhee-45/

Ortovox Peak 45 was also highly reviewed, but I've had good luck with Gregory so went with that. https://gearinstitute.com/gear-review/ortovox-peak-45/
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    If you really do mean best, McHale little big pack (LBP). It carries head and shoulders above any other pack I’ve used. . . .
    Yup. No contest

Uh, that McHale's base price is $795. That's without a top pocket, which is extra.

I hope it skins for me at that price point.
    sproing!

My 3 McHale packs were less expensive when I bought them, but pretty pricey nonetheless. IMO, they are a bargain compared to mass-produced packs I used before I discovered McHale (e.g., Gregory, Dana, Osprey). McHale quality is top notch: great stitching, tough thread, best materials and outstanding pattern making. Dan is master craftsman. They'll last years and years and carry better than anything else, largely because they are custom made to fit the buyer but also because Dan's suspension system is the best in the business. People throw $800 for their 4th or 5th or 8th pair of skis that'll last a few seasons, yet bellyache about a $900 custom backpack that will last much longer and carry much better -- that's TGR for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    They'll last years and years and carry better than anything else, largely because they are custom made to fit the buyer but also because Dan's suspension system is the best in the business. People throw $800 for their 4th or 5th or 8th pair of skis that'll last a few seasons, yet bellyache about a $900 custom backpack that will last much longer and carry much better -- that's TGR for ya.
    Ha. Now THAT is a good argument. I've had my Gregory 80L for 24 years. Perhaps a McHale is in order for the next 24.
    sproing!

I have a Mystery Ranch Patrol 45 that has one glaring omission for a ski pack: no external ice axe carry. Other than that it has really grown on me. It carries well, it fits my shoulders, it swallows up as much gear as you'd expect from a 45L pack, and it has a back panel access which I consider to be essential for a ski pack. I'm sure the McHale packs are good too but I've never actually seen one in person to compare against other stuff I'm familiar with. My last pack was a Mammut Trion Pro that I really liked until it wore out and before that was a Cilo 45L work sack which bruised my shoulders and chest anytime I had more than 20lbs in it which happened whenever I had to carry the split board.

Hmm nice yep back panel is a great feature but no external ice axe carry is pretty silly! How could you ever make a pack without that, I never understand! although it is pretty straight forward to install your own....

I have the Black Diamond Epic 45L and it has been great for BC skiing, camping and multiple summits on Rainier.

I'm considering the Mystery Ranch Gallatin Peak 40L for an upcoming hut trip. Only downside is it seems heavy at 4lbs.

Ortovox Haute Route 40L is a ~pound less.

Looks like biggest jetforce pack is 35L and 3lbs heavier than Gallatin?

Does BD no longer sell a 40l avalung pack? Or the avalung attachment for packs?