Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Do it before 1000 BLM employees start looking to buy here: https://www.sltrib.com/news/environm...en-heres-what/

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Do it before 1000 BLM employees start looking to buy here: https://www.sltrib.com/news/environm...en-heres-what/
    That’s a really interesting article, especially since I’m a former BLMer. Thanks for posting, sorry for the drift.

Yetiman: Google Map says the best route from the UP to SLC goes right through Big Sky. Couch space is available.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Thx...I’ve always gone I35/I80. It’s something to consider. It may end up with wife plus dog so that’s a lot of couches.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yeah Ogden.

fuck. the irony is not lost.
    So how many Ogdens is Ogden currently on the Ogden scale. So damn confusing

People have said Ogden is neutral on the scale. Various media pushes would point to negative Ogdens. I don't know if there's been some exodus of sketchy people or what.

I guess the real question for me is this:
    Is everything more expensive because it's nicer now, or because the whole scale has slid upward? Is your whole block going to be full of cholos giving you the mean eye if you buy a house for 150K somewhere? Or did they all just vacate Utah entirely...or move to Tooele or something?

People have said Ogden is neutral on the scale. Various media pushes would point to negative Ogdens. I don't know if there's been some exodus of sketchy people or what.

I guess the real question for me is this:
    Is everything more expensive because it's nicer now, or because the whole scale has slid upward? Is your whole block going to be full of cholos giving you the mean eye if you buy a house for 150K somewhere? Or did they all just vacate Utah entirely...or move to Tooele or something?
    Ogden ain't what it was, ask md9, zzz, trescow.

Yes, there are still some trashy parts, like Adams between 23rd and 30th, but there's decent, affordable neighborhoods too and it's on the rise. It's typical of urban renewal at the start: opportunity.

Yeah, ok so I'm a fucking broken record.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I guess I’ll go and see it for myself this winter.

I can’t imagine my wife ever wanting to live in Ogden Utah. Salt Lake has a city full of stuff for her to offset it being Utah. Ogden is all the Utah with none of the good parts of living in a major city.
    It’s been a tough week here, I hate living in Michigan, I hate my job, I miss my life in Utah, but I can’t go back in time, and we’re so dug in here. I’m reminded of a time when I was like 17 years old, free climbing this cliff, and I just got stuck and spent hours unable to go up or down and it just got worse and worse the more I thought about it. Can’t stay here, can’t move...etc.

if the thunder don't get ya then the lightning will

I guess I’ll go and see it for myself this winter.

I can’t imagine my wife ever wanting to live in Ogden Utah. Salt Lake has a city full of stuff for her to offset it being Utah. Ogden is all the Utah with none of the good parts of living in a major city.
    It’s been a tough week here, I hate living in Michigan, I hate my job, I miss my life in Utah, but I can’t go back in time, and we’re so dug in here. I’m reminded of a time when I was like 17 years old, free climbing this cliff, and I just got stuck and spent hours unable to go up or down and it just got worse and worse the more I thought about it. Can’t stay here, can’t move...etc.
    There's high speed rail between Ogden & SLC. Again, talk to md9, moe, they take the train down to SLC to see shows & do stuff.
    Try, it's there, it's not perfect twinkly wah h00, but there's some opportunity there. C'mon, does Ogden really offer that much less than Marquette?

I know I should shut up, but I just can't sit here and listen to that.

Ogden has has Snowbasin for me.... wife loses a lot: good job, living near the water, living in a super bike friendly town on a bike path...her garden, etc. I can’t see that working out. It’s all processing I suppose...

Lotta people talk shit on Rose Park, but you can find decent homes for cheap and it’s not near as bad as people think. Close to freeways, downtown and about 40 minutes to any cottonwood resort. If I didn’t have kids I wouldn’t mind living there, but I hear the schools are pretty shitty.

Show her the fruit orchards

Show her the Ogden river and Willard bay and Pineview

Show her the reglr folk biking all over the place

Show her your friends, your inspirations

Show her the hope and light in your eyes.

Ogden has has Snowbasin for me.... wife loses a lot: good job, living near the water, living in a super bike friendly town on a bike path...her garden, etc. I can’t see that working out. It’s all processing I suppose...
    Stop defeating yourself, jeez.

There's the huDge Pineview reservoir 15 minute drive from downtown, good public access to the Ogden river. Lots of people have beautiful gardens there, it's mostly flat so good biking around town plus a ton of great mtb in the hills. The paddleboarding on the reservoir 30 mintes away has beautiful cliffs and swimming areas.

Again, you're going to have a hard time convincing me Marquette is that much better. If your place is close to Superior, that would be nice, but Ogden has a lot better growing season.

Can I put you in touch with md9 & moe? Salt of the earth, super great folks. You remember Trescow, right?

Just saw this.

It would be great to see a mini / BBI18 in Utah again.

It would be great to See Yetiman back in Utah for a ski vacation.

GEEZ a ski trip starts coming together and your shopping real estate?

Life does have it's twists and turns. I now spend my days trying to get my blood sugar under 200 Sumtin. Weigh 165 pounds and my big physical challenges are things like waking up in the morning to sit at my computer and work - Still employed.

Anyway I might even find the motivation to rally for a Utah BBI18 - If I still ski? Not sure at this point
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

^ rally. we'll get you up there.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    if the thunder don't get ya then the lightning will

Thanks for that. One if my best shows.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

my best bud was there. i had tickets for the third decadenal field trip.

Buster, if your current gig doesn't work out, you could be contract work for the Ogden Chamber of Commerce or be the "Skiing Rick Steeves". You are making me want to move to Ogden. I've spend quite a bit of time in the Wasatch Front over the last 25 years and have seen it go from the place that everyone wants to move to to the place a lot of people want to leave. No different that anywhere else in the mountain west. The one thing that has always stood out, economically, is that white collar 9-5 jobs pay OK but anything other than that pays dog shit it seems. I could be wrong but seems like that metro has a bunch of $15/hr jobs and not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post

GEEZ a ski trip starts coming together and your shopping real estate?
    It's a rare chance to bring my wife to see that area, the point would be to assess moving....if moving isn't feasible, there isn't a lot of point to dragging her along. It's pretty shocking to see that the only parts of the front I could afford to move, maybe, if we really buckled down and saved for a few years, would be places where the tongan crip gang used to shoot everything up with machine guns and you'd see metro gang unit cars driving around.

For ur A1C:
    https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Bacon-Don.../dp/0761180540

I think I still have Tresckow's number. We just lost touch because...you know, different worlds. And I've had extended phases of needing to just not torture myself with looking at skiing stuff from Utah and fire season sit reports and all that stuff because it exacerbates my discomfort and depression with my current life where I have nothing to do with any of it. I had real reservations about skiing here because it's just a whole can of worms.

yeti. / i-as --

I urge you not to over-think this -- :
    there is value in your wife seeing you among friends, and seeing you, ,,, in a place that holds great meaning to You ! (!!)
    IF either of you ( especially, your wife ) feel like you are "dragging her along" , I further urge you to reassess the trip...

( I would offer that it is important (that) you can find enjoyment along the way - And travel reasonably well together.

( I have been following your ( stoke and Stuff ) a reasonably long time, and I did not perceive this is Not the case. … )

I know some of your (Stuff) ain't light , but I would really hope and wish that this trip,,, could Be a joyful rememberance, Not a stressful wonder of the future...

YOU have given some of us here encouragement by the life you live - that includes [ keeping on ] when you are hurting, no longer skiing 100+ days, and cope-ing with depression...

I have been going to montana in March to see that there is also beauty in living on the U.p.
    ( I won't be trading (Lake) Superior for the reservoirs of the west. . . )

I'll make you this pledge :
    keep pedaling ; I will meet You and your wife for lunch on March 16th at Soli, or Snowbasin, or PowMtn ( haven't been there - Oh, yeah (yes) , I was : Dad and I drove by in 1988.
    I forgot about that. )

… you choose --

hang in ; Carry On ! - and Thank you...

You are an inspiration (!)

tj ( from 'the west end' )
    Last edited by skiJ; 09-11-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

FKNA.

Consider this one of those rare opportunities...Occasionally, a door just opens up for you. What do you do?

Looking forward to meeting you, IAS.

What field is your wife in? Job market is strong here. What do u want to do? Look forward to skiing with u and meeting up.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

No pressure. Take the trip, bring the wife along. Enjoy the skiing, make new friends, treat it as a vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    No pressure. Take the trip, bring the wife along. Enjoy the skiing, make new friends, treat it as a vacation.
    ^^^ This ^^^