Amsterdam one day on a bike.

I typically start these out with : I know nothing. I have web searched like crazy and there is an overwhelming amount of information

I'm an everyday North American cycle commuter, which probably means I am a massive liability on a bike in Amesterdam.

I have one day next week and then 2 days the week following. Biking? Yes?

Any info much appreciated.

You looking for Amsterdamn style biking or just fast roadie style?

I recommend grabbing a random rental, jumping across the water to Noord and riding around there for one of your few days. You can get out to some quainter areas, and its generally just quiter. NDSM Wharf is one of the OG industrial reuse spaces and is cool to check out.

Another nice cruisey loop if you're staying in the center is to Westerpark -> Rembrandpark -> Vondelpark linkup.

Thanks, I’ve read about the wharf, sounds interesting...

first day I land early morning then take off mid day the following day, so I was going to either Bike or walk around and get as much in as possible. That leaves the other days at the end of my trip free to do more unique stuff.
    That being said, can I reasonably navigate everything with a Bike and not waste a huge amount of time fussing about on that first day. I’m not a group tour kind of person, but I’m not at all opposed to a private. I have been quoted around €275 for a 4 hour bike tour...

Clunker is fine, whatever does the job to get around without being a nuisance.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If you commute in the US, moving around on a bike there will be simple. Just follow the habits of locals and you'll be fine. No group tour, use google maps, go to shit you want to see. Lots of places with rentals, don't waste time on a group tour.

Forsure - I would only go private, for the obvious benefits of having a local take you around... but at almost $100/hr...

You don't need a tour guide unless cities scare you. Its a friendly place, people watch out for cyclists, and everyone speaks English.

If you really want to hire a guide, get someone off AirBnB experiences, or Warm Showers, or CouchSurfing.

I found the riding to be very easy to follow and I was blown away by the network of bike lanes. Ndsm is great, all the parks are fantastic to spend time or cruise through. The city centre is much better on a bike than on foot. The stedlijk museum was the standout for me, wild stuff.
    If anyone ever wants any beta feel free to pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums