Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Jag Sharks were based of the Ruby, and the Deathwish losely based off the Jag Sharks (but I could be wrong)...so I'd say the Deathwish is the closest. I went from a few pair of Jag Sharks to using Deathwish almost daily.

Moment Skis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Would love to hear a comparison between the Bibby, GPO, and Meridian 117 (I assume?) when you've digested them. I was hoping to try out a stiff fully-rockered pow ski (like the Renegade...) and Meridian 117 seems like it might fit the bill.
    I’ve had 186 Rens and 187 Hojis in the past. Sold the Hojis and my son now has the Rens.

I have some of last years 181 Meridian 117s bought from SAC in Sep for $449.

I bought them cause I wanted a stiff, rockered “Ren-like” ski. Except a shorter and twin tipped Ren which the Meridian is supposed to be. I’m 5’7” and 160 lbs and could ski the 186 Rens no prob but I prefer 181-182 skis @-5 to -6. I mounted my Meridians at -5.5, my Rens were mounted at -5.

I was at Whistler yesterday in tons of fresh and didn’t bring the Meridians with me. It was soft and deep and I spent the day skiing my Icelantic Nomad 105s cause I’m an idiot. The Meridian 117s would have been perfect.

Will let you know how they are and how they compare to a Renegade....this weekend hopefully.

Incidentally, I also have some new 181 4FRNT InThaynes on the way.....which overlap with the meridian (same waist widths) but the inThayne has a narrower tip and tail.

Meridian 117 specs (147-117-137)
    InThayne specs (137-117-129)

Had no rocker in the quiver last year and missed it. Now I’m covered.

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-12-2018 at 10:51 PM.

I’d be curious to hear about Ren v Meridian as well

Meridian has similar dimensions to the Volkl One / Bash 116 which was discontinued. /thread drift.

Thanks for the intel on jag shark replacement. Never too early to shop for more skis...

Curious what the Ruby is like compared to some of the newer models. Have the 184cm 2018 Bibby but wouldn’t mind something a little narrower in the quiver and saw a mint pair of 180cm 2008 Rubys for around $250 with Atomic 14 Din bindings. Worth it for a rock/extra ski?
    Hear it’s like a wider Tahoe but never skied those either.

2013 Bibby - RIP (2013-2018)
    Attachment 260006
    yesterday morning, defeated by a (great white) shark in an LZ.

In passing-
    I enjoyed skiing these rigs over couple hundred days spanning 4+ seasons, in both high tide and low tide conditions. never took on any damage, never lost its spirited personality, nor my confidence ever wavered. Inspired by Bibby and chiseled out of the Rock of Gibraltar by Moment, both to whom i'd like to give a big thanks for breathing in second wind and getting me super-psyched on skiing all over again.
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by I, the Powfinder View Post
    Attachment 260006

In passing-
    I enjoyed skiing these rigs over couple hundred days spanning 4+ seasons, in both high tide and low tide conditions. never took on any damage, never lost its spirited personality, nor my confidence ever wavered. Inspired by Bibby and chiseled out of the Rock of Gibraltar by Moment, both to whom i'd like to give a big thanks for breathing in second wind and getting me super-psyched on skiing all over again.
    Thoughts and prayers. This is why i have two pairs now.

defeated by a (great white) shark in an LZ.
    Guess you didn't really live up to your username.

jk. RIP.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Attachment 260006

In passing-
    RIP, ye Good Ski, cherished tool of joy.

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Curious what the Ruby is like compared to some of the newer models. Have the 184cm 2018 Bibby but wouldn’t mind something a little narrower in the quiver and saw a mint pair of 180cm 2008 Rubys for around $250 with Atomic 14 Din bindings. Worth it for a rock/extra ski?
    Hear it’s like a wider Tahoe but never skied those either.
    Not a big ruby fan.

IIRC, they varied slightly by year, but I had a 2010 ruby in like 180 or 184. Full camber. Lays trenches on slushy groomers, but so does every moment. Not fun as an all mountain ski, not a good width for a fully cambered ski. Didn't help I bought mine used w/ barons, which make them extra unwieldy. Compared to a bibby - didn't track as well in chop, negligible difference on groomed, much less in tight spots or even linking shorter turns off piste. I just didn't have fun on mine

Moment Skis Discussion

I hope in the future there is a large wildcat lineup. Regular, 108, and could rename pbj the wildcat 101 or whatever. As well as a fkn missile version of each, maple core added glass/carbon, jib versions with bamboo like pb&jib, and so on..

Dream on beetle!

At least I can customize whatever now! I will be experimenting with this once I get a good job.

Sent from 403 AD

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Not a big ruby fan.

IIRC, they varied slightly by year, but I had a 2010 ruby in like 180 or 184. Full camber. Lays trenches on slushy groomers, but so does every moment. Not fun as an all mountain ski, not a good width for a fully cambered ski. Didn't help I bought mine used w/ barons, which make them extra unwieldy. Compared to a bibby - didn't track as well in chop, negligible difference on groomed, much less in tight spots or even linking shorter turns off piste. I just didn't have fun on mine
    Thanks for saving me some money and putting it instead towards the non tour Wildcat 108 instead. Lol

Btw-had my Bibby’s out in some chop yesterday and they were amazing as expected. Even did a few tuck runs on empty smooth groomers and hit some insane speeds with confidence. Loving them!

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I hope in the future there is a large wildcat lineup. Regular, 108, and could rename pbj the wildcat 101 or whatever. As well as a fkn missile version of each, maple core added glass/carbon, jib versions with bamboo like pb&jib, and so on..

Sent from 403 AD
    I think they need a better name than wildcat

Honestly I'm just glad they're selling skis as fast as they can make them and (hopefully) making good money. Custom options, etc are great, but the beauty of moment right now is that everything is pretty dialed and you can tour on it all. The dampness to weight across the lineup is ridiculous. With the exception of park skis, everything has more than one dimension, as well. That's rare. Heavy bibby's aren't gonna be the bread and butter, but right now it looks like they're selling enough skis that they can put out reserve runs to cater to losers like us. It's rad.

Moment Skis Discussion

Ya. I love the wildcats, and will keep, but do want a beefy version. They are still fast as is, but I’m also a little beefier myself.. I dont mind if I have to customiZe. What I’m hoping to get out of it (a comfortable, medium-stiff but heavy one ski quiver) is worth $1200 to me. Once I get my shit together that is.

I love this shape. I intend to be on it for a few years

Sent from 404 AD

In passing-
    I got the same thing with 2013 Vice. I guess that's why now they are using V-shaped tip spacer

Think I’m going to go for a non tour Wildcat 108 and have sent Moment an email but it’s the weekend so not sure if i’ll hear back before next week.
    For those who have done custom skis from them, I’m assuming they will charge extra for the regular core construction from the Wildcat but do they charge extra if you choose another current graphic like the regular Wildcat topsheet? Could care less if it’s cut off or says another model even. Don’t mind the white topsheet of the 108 Tour but would rather the black Wildcat Tour version or even better, the regular Wildcat one. Fine with whatever base graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Think I’m going to go for a non tour Wildcat 108 and have sent Moment an email but it’s the weekend so not sure if i’ll hear back before next week.
    For those who have done custom skis from them, I’m assuming they will charge extra for the regular core construction from the Wildcat but do they charge extra if you choose another current graphic like the regular Wildcat topsheet? Could care less if it’s cut off or says another model even. Don’t mind the white topsheet of the 108 Tour but would rather the black Wildcat Tour version or even better, the regular Wildcat one. Fine with whatever base graphic.
    I can't wait for your review.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Moment Skis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I’d be curious to hear about Ren v Meridian as well.
    Meridian has similar dimensions to the Volkl One / Bash 116 which was discontinued. /thread drift.
    Ok...got out for the first time on my new (2017-2018) 181cm Moment Meridian 117s today.

Mine are mounted at -5.5 with Jester Pros. Recommended is -5. I’m glad I went -0.5 back from rec. They still felt centered there. And not too short.

Other Pow skis I’ve owned in last 5 years:

184cm Moment Bibbys @-5
    186cm 4FRNT Renegades @-5
    187cm 4FRNT Hojis @-5,
    185cm Line Opus @-3
    181cm LibTech NAS Pows @-6
    181cm Icelantic Nomads 115 @-6,

Conditions were 20cm new but pretty wind blown pow. Some deeper untouched stashes around. Some soft bumps and soft groomers.

Quick first impression.

They’re awesome. They’re fun. They’re not Renegades. Maybe it’s the 181cm length but I found them pretty darn easy to ski. A bit hooky in the wind crust. But that was just the 147mm tip I think. And other skiers felt the same given the conditions. Lots of new snow in the past few days and massive wind yesterday and last night. In the packed pow they ripped. Stiff enough to charge, and still be nimble cause of the rocker. Ripped groomers as good as any rockered ski I’ve owned. With specs of 147-117-137 the edge can hold when rolled on edge.

Why aren’t they Rens? They don’t feel as stiff as Rens (to me) and they don’t porpoise in 3D snow like the Rens (Note: I had the 2015 pre Vibe Veil Rens). The Meridians have a wide tip which I like...and I have some 4FRNT InThaynes for my porpoisy ski.

The Meridian 117s were a really fun ski in fresh pow. I’m 5’7” and. 160 lbs and the 181 cm sizing is perfect for me. I found them easy to slither through soft bumps (rocker is great in soft, good snow), they were great at rippin open pow fields. Probly not as fast as Rens in open pow....but plenty fast. And even not bad on soft groomers, the stiffness really helps them hold when you roll your ankle over. I ski pretty centered, pressuring my shins and these things did whatever I asked today. Like the Rens, my legs were sore at the end of the day....probably cause they made me ski like a maniac?

The weird, slanted Meridian tips get a lot of looks in the chair lines. One guy asked if I had two left skis. Moment skis just look damn cool in my opinion.

Will add more/ post more as I spend more time on them.

Here they are today as we stood freezing in line for an hour waiting for Peak Chair to crack at Whistler.

K
    Attachment 260215
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-17-2018 at 12:50 PM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Really thinking I need some 187 meridian 117s. My 187 Hojis might be my favorite all around ski, but my pair has dynafit on them, so a pain in the ass at the resort....especially trying to step in above some sketch no fall zone kinda stuff.

I need some better snow before I make a final judgement on the 190 DW. They are obviously fast as fuck on wide open stuff, but our snow has been whack for about a week. Almost 90 mph winds up top has made it super hard > half a turn of nice wind buff > super hard variable craziness off the tram.

Down low I got to ski "fresh" untracked pow that has been sitting all season waiting for the new chair to open. Kind of a bear to turn in heavy pow unless you get up to sketchy fast speed in order to float better.

I need a real deal blower day to give them a better test.

Ty KC!

Anyone have a comparison between the Deathwish or Deathwish Tour and the Bibby/Wildcat? I have a Bibby Tour with Kingpins and PB&J with Wardens and love them both. Thinking of getting something in the middle and mounting them with Shifts, and curious about how the triple camber compares to mustache rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by spchin24 View Post
    Anyone have a comparison between the Deathwish or Deathwish Tour and the Bibby/Wildcat? I have a Bibby Tour with Kingpins and PB&J with Wardens and love them both. Thinking of getting something in the middle and mounting them with Shifts, and curious about how the triple camber compares to mustache rocker.
    The biggest difference I feel is in the flex pattern. But that may have changed since the stiffened up the deathwish this year. Deathwish prefers to be on edge -- I find the Bibby easier to smear (more tip/tail taper too).

Chipotle Bananas... Get 'em boys: https://reno.craigslist.org/spo/d/mo...763184135.html

Don’t sleep on Commander 108. Skied them all weekend and are ridiculously fun. They ski like a race ski on the groomers and have no problems cutting through variable Tahoe snow off trail. Kinda like a race ski that you can take anywhere.