Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I use my apple watch and it's fairly accurate most of the time....but sometimes not
    but yea what davep says - bc my husband will also track our hikes etc with his garmin watch and our info is usually close but can be fairly far off (off by ~10% sometimes)
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I use my iPhone like a pleb, a couple other guys I ride with use separate fancy GPSs. I hope for their sake they're more accurate considering they paid hundreds for them. I'm not very tech savvy so Stravadouching it is fine with me.
    How much did you pay for your iPhone....hundreds?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    How much did you pay for your iPhone....hundreds?
    $99 and it does a shit ton more than a GPS.

Trailforks vert reports always seemed insanely high to me on XC trails ...

But then nothing ever seems to capture the asskicking of mesa / slickrock riding with constant up-down transitions.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Trailforks vert reports always seemed insanely high to me on XC trails ...

But then nothing ever seems to capture the asskicking of mesa / slickrock riding with constant up-down transitions.
    I was thinking about pipe dream when reading a few of the posts... Constant ups and downs.

https://mtbproject.com/trail/827004/pipe-dream
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I just use Strava because all I care about is comparability to other rides I've done (in terms of vert, pace etc).

If someone asks me how much vert I rode, I tell them the Trailforks number

Two weekends ago I rode a ride that I've been wanting do to for a while. Totall mileage was 40 and elevation gain was 4500' via Suunto GPS watch (no barometric functionality), 6500' via Strava, and 8500' via Trailforks. The thing that I am most interested in is comparing against other rides that I'm interested in doing which is hard when you have a 4000' spread.

I'm still not sure what to think (nice watch analogy bbear).

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    iPhone 6 and later use barometric pressure for elevation.
    If you record using strava it doesn’t use barometric pressure even though your iPhone has a barometer. That’s an issue I have with strava. Seems like they want to turn it into social media while I just want to record my vert accurately.

We have virtually no vert on the coast where I live, just a lot of little up and down stuff. The local network out my front door goes around the marsh, so it's at sea level. I ran Strava and Trailforks on this little local ride saturday. Mileage was within .3, but elevation was 284' for Strava and Trailforks had it at 582'. The Strava seems more accurate to me, but maybe the multiple little up and downs add up.