Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Ski bum in perpetuity: Marry a doctor, lawyer or some other 6 figure medical/professional lady.
    The executive/doctor/lawyer wife pulling in the big bucks isn't marrying some bum.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    those peeps who manage to ski, climb, fish, golf, sail, float, fly ...... the majority of days
    how day do it?
    Many things over the years. Mostly now it’s working short shifts 6 or 7 days a week so there’s some time every day to do something. Part of what makes that possible in my case is very carefully evaluating commitments and being willing to say no when it needs to be said.

what makes em do it?
    Gaping open space where a soul should have been installed at the factory. Lingering distrust in The Real World. Basic sentiment that life is temporary and short.

is it worth it?
    No. But that depends on what “it” and “it” are. Is chronic pain and poverty worth being able to say “I skied hard every winter day for 30 years”. Nah, I’d rather be healthy and have skipped all that, but you can’t take it back so fuck it.

do they ever win lebowski?
    Sometimes, but rarely.

Never bummed proper, yet skied 70-100 days a year for 20 years. Had a glimpse of the "scene", be it bumming or "I-am-A-Pro", and it came clear that it is not for me, (or for anyone?) that matter.
    Too many faces vanished during the years due to drugs, alcohol and mountains.
    Even those very few that were optimised to begin with, the ones that ended up being in the patrol or guides have their struggles with the hazards that come with the lifestyle: Personal health, insecurity with the jobs, marital life, self-fulfilment and seeing how their brethren getting devoured by the environment.

So, I guess it is the survival of the fittest, in a sense? The ones left behind are the ones that have the fiscal freedom and passion....and the ones that just have the passion (obsession) that they wish not part with?
    Dunno.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    The executive/doctor/lawyer wife pulling in the big bucks isn't marrying some bum.
    From what I've seen it doesn't always start out that way. They often start out on more equal footing upon graduating college and they're young, dumb, and in love. Then the guy convinces her that they should move to a ski town. Then it's a gradual degradation over the years as she keeps hustling to bring home the bacon while he eventually loses all ambition until full bum transformation is achieved. I mean, SOMEBODY's gotta take care of the kids so she can keep lawyering, doctoring, or whatever, right? Must be nice. Haha.

Perhaps most were not full slaagmaster status bum but the maggot collective proves otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    From what I've seen it doesn't always start out that way. They often start out on more equal footing upon graduating college and they're young, dumb, and in love. Then the guy convinces her that they should move to a ski town. Then it's a gradual degradation over the years as she keeps hustling to bring home the bacon while he eventually loses all ambition until full bum transformation is achieved. I mean, SOMEBODY's gotta take care of the kids so she can keep lawyering, doctoring, or whatever, right? Must be nice. Haha.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Yeah, I'm one of those guys. Retired nine years ago, ski bummed the next winter with six weeks away from home and my wife called me out. I was actually kind of bored not being involved with a more professional life so went back to work. Now I work about 30 hours per week, ski 3 in the winter, golf and MB four days a week now. This is about the right balance for me. I found out I couldn't do the full-on ski bum life, especially with a wife who wasn't into it.
    I got right sized at 49, no marketable skills except being a lifetime IBM'er ... I was a one trick pony

and that was done, everything i knew and was habituated to was finished, I didnt have a clue if I could live on 50% cuz I don't plan anything so I just sat there for a year going OM

After a year I moved to the mtns to ski/paddle/smoke dope/chase women where I really hit my stride but it took a few years

I still do the odd low commitment/low brain power job like run saw/forestry research/ carpentry/expediting/retail but I will never again touch another computer for money

if you get bored just relax, let it burn into you and remember retirement ... is not for the faint of heart
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    You going to be a bum with young kiddos to watch? You're on dad duty all week then a standard weekend warrior.
    Exec wife, no interest in kids, and no care if you dick around on the slopes and river most of the week? Good fucking luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Perhaps most were not full slaagmaster status bum but the maggot collective proves otherwise.

Can't say I know the "collective" rankings.

You going to be a bum with young kiddos to watch? You're on dad duty all week then a standard weekend warrior.
    Exec wife, no interest in kids, and no care if you dick around on the slopes and river most of the week? Good fucking luck.
    It's called a nanny. If mommy is a good enough doc, you have one. Seriously, I've seen it regularly. Dad isn't completely unemployed but probably works "Real Estate" or "Property Management". Always says he's working hard, then you see him on the slopes midweek all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    It's called a nanny. If mommy is a good enough doc, you have one. Seriously, I've seen it regularly. Dad isn't completely unemployed but probably works "Real Estate" or "Property Management". Always says he's working hard, then you see him on the slopes midweek all the time.
    Nanny isn't cheap. $2400 p/month.
    Depending on who you ask, that's a real sweetheart deal for the "real estate" dad, or he's a real fucking prick.

Can't say I know the "collective" rankings.
    See OP

Nanny isn't cheap. $2400 p/month.
    Depending on who you ask, that's a real sweetheart deal for the "real estate" dad, or he's a real fucking prick.
    Or daycare. A little cheaper than nanny.

$2400 a month for someone to take care of your little poop machine ain't really that bad to a Anesthesiologist and she probably only works a few days a month anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Other than the wealthy parents/trust fund strategy, and the no kids approach, (both of which help a lot), another possible way is to have hauntingly good looks, with piercing blue eyes, and a wife who takes home a salary (and no kids).
    Didn't work for me, and I've got a 12 inch dick.

Non-issue once the kids are in school.

Hahaha. You perfectly described a lot of guys I know. Totally true about the "property managers." Guys would never have the time for a meeting I needed to set up with them, but then I'd be on the mountain for a job for another customer and I'd see them at the base. Busted! They'd always try and act like they were SOOOOOO busy when talking to them in casual conversation at the bar, but they sure had plenty of time for skiing 100 days/year, a full month of lavish vacations every off-season, and plenty of hunting and fishing. But definitely too busy to you know...actually work. Really made MY job challenging when having to deal with some of these shlubs whose clients would need mine and other contractors' services, but they couldn't ever make the time to meet with said contractors so the job could get done. But then homeowner would come in December to enjoy their mountain home and all of a sudden, "IT'S AN EMERGENCY!!! HOMEOWNERS ARE FLYING IN RIGHT NOW! CAN YOU MAKE IT UP THERE TODAY?!" Uhhhhh, no. However, when I DID happen to squeeze them in, there would be half a dozen other various contractors scrambling at the same time. Haha. Such is the ski town bum-husband way. ...Property management. HA!

Or daycare. A little cheaper than nanny.

$2400 a month for someone to take care of your little poop machine ain't really that bad to a Anesthesiologist and she probably only works a few days a month anyway.
    How many anesthesiologists are living around ski towns? Haha. Either way, daycare or nanny, yeah it's a drop in the bucket.

It's the principal of the thing. The MD who is going to be cool with stay at home dad incurring big daycare/nanny costs to go skiing or riding all the time? Yeah, I'm sure they grow on trees.

the couples I know where the wife became an MD (half of new canadian md's are women) averaging 250-350k per year may not be marrying a bum per se but there was a definate imbalance in salary & earning potential

edit: I know a raft guide, a social worker, a computer proffesional all 3 of them do a fair amount of the mr momming job, i see them at safeway

Yeah, after 12 years in the hole I'm pretty much convinced most ski town businesses are just fronts that arent profitable so they can keep either their significant other off their ass, or to show their parents they are still "working" and keep the checks flowing.

Its really fun when they knock a girl up, all of a sudden that poor front is thrown out the window and theyre driving a Benz or Volvo. Can't have the grand kids rolling around in a 20 year old Subaru ya know.
    Live Free or Die

How many anesthesiologists are living around ski towns? Haha. Either way, daycare or nanny, yeah it's a drop in the bucket.

It's the principal of the thing. The MD who is going to be cool with stay at home dad incurring big daycare/nanny costs to go skiing or riding all the time? Yeah, I'm sure they grow on trees.
    I'm sure her parents are just thrilled, too.

I think you will find a lot of MD's were raised by nannies to begin with. In this day and age you aren't staying in school till you are 30 without some help.

Otherwise, hence the front of being a real estate agent. Couple phone calls a day strategically timed and you could look busy enough.
    Live Free or Die

Don't forget the architects. They make bank and talk about an easy job.
    Live Free or Die

Well, I know of 3, also at least one of our ER docs is a woman. We have a hospital and surgery center. You think the resort towns are just in the sticks with no professional jobs? Open your eyes next time you are around. There are plenty of doctors, lawyers, dentists, surgeons etc. and a lot of them are women these days too.
    Yawn. I know what's up there. They exist, but let's not act like that's half the population.

We're talking about women very high up on the career ladder who are cool with their spouse bumming it hard, with bonus points for throwing the kids into daycare whenever it snows 6". I'm sure there are a bunch of those around town for the single bros to hit up.

Even a small town hospitol needs a few, up here there is not enough work to just pass gas so they do some dedicated ER don't have staff or an office and make a lot of money working half time

Yawn. I know what's up there. They exist, but let's not act like that's half the population.

We're talking about women very high up on the career ladder who are cool with their spouse bumming it hard, with bonus points for throwing the kids into daycare whenever it snows 6". I'm sure there are a bunch of those around town for the single bros to hit up.
    OK Bunny jr. You have people who actually live in these towns telling you how it is and you are going to argue with them from beautiful "Gnarvada". Cool/

Ill get there.

Just got to work hard and get lucky.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I don't know why this is so hard to believe. Traditionally many/most Dr's/Attorneys/CEOs are men who have a stay at home wife...when the wife has a kid, she watches them for a bit...then nanny and daycare and then school. Around here, you see them in their Lululemon outfit dropping the kids off...then they go off to workout/yoga...and you can see them later in the day pull up in their LR Discovery at the Whole Foods before heading home with the pre-made dinner.

Now that women are holding more of the professional roles, I don't see why it would be such a stretch for the two to reverse roles.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

OK Bunny jr. You have people who actually live in these towns telling you how it is and you are going to argue with them from beautiful "Gnarvada". Cool/
    Grarvada is a great place to be.
    Lighten up, like 2% of the population has PhDs.
    You seem to be trying to paint some picture like there are tons of surgeons and anesthesiologists walking around.
    They exist, just like anywhere else, but it's not like there are thousands and thousands of them in Summit ready to shell out the cash to their bum husband.