Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I run 12/1 DSL at my house and it runs a family of 4 with 2 teenage girls with zero issues. We can all stream simultaneously without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I run 12/1 DSL at my house and it runs a family of 4 with 2 teenage girls with zero issues. We can all stream simultaneously without issue.
    How much for the little girl? I want to buy your women.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    It's not that they're exactly decreasing service speeds. From what I've seen, it's more that they have lots of outdated equipment still floating around and they try and use that stuff as long as they can get away with. If you were lucky enough to be issued one of their latest modems, you will likely be getting decent speeds.
    I used to call my internet provider every year and ask if they had an upgrade for me. Sometimes no but a couple times, yes. I bought my own for my current place. Didn't do my research the first time and went with one they recommended. Turned out it wasn't the current standard and was slowing my download speeds significantly. Returned that and got something current. Much better. I've been having some problems lately with internet service getting interrupted randomly for a few minutes and then re-connecting. Maybe its time to look into a replacement.

As for rent vs buy - I've probably saved $400 over the last few years by buying my own. Fortunately haven't had any issues I've had to call in about.

FWIW my parents rented their (rotary) phone from the phone company for many years. They probably still would be doing that if I hadn't told them to buy a cordless.

So I own an Arris SB6141. I am looking to upgrade. I am also looking to take a Comcast bundle and reduce my bill. The two compatible modems w/ voice are DOCIS 3.0, are spendy, and have built in wifi. That's three strikes. So I am pondering signing up for the triple play with voice and not using the voice, using a modem like the SB6190. It is still 3.0 but it is newer, and exceeds the speed that I think they will ever push on this street. Anyone able to get the bundle and not use the voice by not getting a voice capable modem? I want to know before I ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    So I am pondering signing up for the triple play with voice and not using the voice, using a modem like the SB6190. It is still 3.0 but it is newer, and exceeds the speed that I think they will ever push on this street. Anyone able to get the bundle and not use the voice by not getting a voice capable modem? I want to know before I ask them.
    Yes. that's my rig basically. I have the CM1000 modem and R6300 router. All works great and get good speeds. They don't give a shit if you use the voice or not. If you have a Comcast office nearby the best thing you can do for yourself is walk in, tell them what you're trying to accomplish and they'll help you figure out the cheapest strategy. It has worked for me several times. It also increases your chances of getting the newest equipment (ask for it).

I go in every year or two and ask what they can do to make it all cheaper and better and faster, and they always have something to offer without ever trying to sell me anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

They closed my local office several years ago. There's one half an hour away.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Yes. that's my rig basically. I have the CM1000 modem and R6300 router. All works great and get good speeds. They don't give a shit if you use the voice or not. If you have a Comcast office nearby the best thing you can do for yourself is walk in, tell them what you're trying to accomplish and they'll help you figure out the cheapest strategy. It has worked for me several times. It also increases your chances of getting the newest equipment (ask for it).

I go in every year or two and ask what they can do to make it all cheaper and better and faster, and they always have something to offer without ever trying to sell me anything.
    We just cut the cord but are keeping wifi. Have to go turn the cable boxes so I might just throw wifi stuff in too and see what they can offer. A few years old so maybe got something new.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    They closed my local office several years ago. There's one half an hour away.
    might be worth the trip.

might be worth the trip.
    I hate Comcast with an unhealthy passion. There are Comcast fans out there? Driving a half hour one way to get ripped off with some shitty modem?

I'd rather spend some time on Amazon and get a modem/router combo, that's what I'd recommend. Then smugly drive a half hour and throw their old equipment through the window.

Or upgrade to the service plan for 6 a month, have one of their techs come out for free, and update everything. Then cancel the service plan online. They might come out for free without this plan, not sure.

Sorry, but did you actually read what I wrote?

I have my own modem and router. The models are in my post. I'm not a Comcast 'fan', but they do provide the service that works best for me.

Going in and talking to those guys behind the counter is way more productive and oriented toward the customer than calling them on the phone. That's where they upsell. I've never been upsold in person. Ever. Every time I've done this I leave with a better deal, better cable box and usually better speed.

If you hate them and don't want to use them, fine. If you are going to be a subscriber why not get the best deal and service you can? Might be worth a 30 minute trip or not but no way to know unless you give it a whack.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I hate Comcast with an unhealthy passion. There are Comcast fans out there? Driving a half hour one way to get ripped off with some shitty modem?

I'd rather spend some time on Amazon and get a modem/router combo, that's what I'd recommend. Then smugly drive a half hour and throw their old equipment through the window.

Or upgrade to the service plan for 6 a month, have one of their techs come out for free, and update everything. Then cancel the service plan online. They might come out for free without this plan, not sure.

Comcast sucks a giant donkey-dick.

Sad thing is, the alternative sucks even BIGGER donkey-dick.

Sorry, but did you actually read what I wrote?

I have my own modem and router. The models are in my post. I'm not a Comcast 'fan', but they do provide the service that works best for me.

Going in and talking to those guys behind the counter is way more productive and oriented toward the customer than calling them on the phone. That's where they upsell. I've never been upsold in person. Ever. Every time I've done this I leave with a better deal, better cable box and usually better speed.

If you hate them and don't want to use them, fine. If you are going to be a subscriber why not get the best deal and service you can? Might be worth a 30 minute trip or not but no way to know unless you give it a whack.
    Ah, it sounded like you guys were using Comcast modem/routers, sorry. Interesting point about getting a better deal in person, but you can also get a better deal on the phone, it's possible. Just say you want to cancel everything. Or just ask what specials are over the phone. Either way Comcast is my trigger word and makes me spew upon hearing it. Can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Was going to post just this. And FWIW, when I go into the store, which I do every 14 months or so (to get a new intro deal after the one I am on expires), I have received very good service. Seriously. It's just calling them and dealing with them online that has been terrible.

And yes, our alternative around here is way worse.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Don't worry, it's all about to get so much better now that those pesky net neutrality rules have been repealed.

This is where I'm at. I hate AT&T with a passion, they purchased Direct TV. Our Frontier Fios sucks balls for the price. I'm tempted to do a bundle with Comcast for their discounted trial period then switch.

nobody, nobody, nobody is worse than CenturyLink. They inherited the black hearted evil that was USWest.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thing is they all suck. You just gotta find the kinda suck you are willing to put up with for a while. I've rotated around a few and now I'm just happy if the internet works and the billing is correct. Pretty basic shit for an internet service provider, but they still fuck that up too/

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    nobody, nobody, nobody is worse than CenturyLink. They inherited the black hearted evil that was USWest.
    This. They are the most horrific ISP that I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with...

Yep.

I've had some problems with Comcast business service around the country but really no complaints, other than cost, of my domestic service.

Reminds me I need to go to the store and haggle a new deal again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Man, are they bad. I had them once. Took them like a month to get the stupid thing installed. Then it would barely work and kick me off the internet about every minute. They kept trying to blame my router and tried getting me to reset the stupid dsl equipment all the time. After weeks of bugging them to get a tech out there, they FINALLY got someone out there. Tech said "Yeah, your line quality is unserviceable. Amazing you got ANYTHING." A brand new house too. Said he'd have to send out the guys who work on the lines, which took them like another week or two. They ultimately said it was a bad local node or something (the box down the road) and they were not willing to fix/replace it, so they just left me hanging. Fired them and had to work with the local telco coop who came out and ran like 1/4 mile of fiber from the main road and right into the home. Boom. Solid internet after that. Took months to line that all up though. Screw CenturyLink. Couldn't believe they were totally unwilling to fix their infrastructure issues!!! Had to fight them for a partial credit for my complete lack of service too, despite their techs admitting it was totally on their end of things and not my equipment or home.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Man, are they bad. I had them once. Took them like a month to get the stupid thing installed. Then it would barely work and kick me off the internet about every minute. They kept trying to blame my router and tried getting me to reset the stupid dsl equipment all the time. After weeks of bugging them to get a tech out there, they FINALLY got someone out there. Tech said "Yeah, your line quality is unserviceable. Amazing you got ANYTHING." A brand new house too. Said he'd have to send out the guys who work on the lines, which took them like another week or two. They ultimately said it was a bad local node or something (the box down the road) and they were not willing to fix/replace it, so they just left me hanging. Fired them and had to work with the local telco coop who came out and ran like 1/4 mile of fiber from the main road and right into the home. Boom. Solid internet after that. Took months to line that all up though. Screw CenturyLink. Couldn't believe they were totally unwilling to fix their infrastructure issues!!! Had to fight them for a partial credit for my complete lack of service too, despite their techs admitting it was totally on their end of things and not my equipment or home.
    Yep, that sounds exactly like them.

I had the worst experiences with USWest (so bad I wrote checks payable to "US West, aka Satan"). Swore I would never ever use them again (or Qwest, who succeeded them, or CenturyLink, who succeeded them). But rented a condo where CenturyLink was the only option. Sure enough, they totally fucked up a simple internet service order. Spent hours trying to fix it. They are still the unbelievable epitome of suck.

I've been told a bunch of time my incoming line wasn't any good, though it had always worked fine. Comcast put a line amplifier on it at one point when I got the xfinity system. Seems to have helped, but who knows?