Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

List of Boots that fit the Shift

Flame on if that's your thing, or point me to the thread I'm missing.

Tying to understand the current full list of boots that work in Alpine binders and also has pin toes. AFAIK:

Salomon
    -S/Lab MTN
    -MTN Explore

Atomic
    -HAWX Ultra XTD

Dalbello
    -Lupo Factory
    -Lupo AX 120
    -Lupo 130 c
    -Lupo AX 115
    -Lupo AX110W for the ladies

Lange
    -XT Freetour 130 LV

Technica
    -Zero G Guide Pro
    -Cochise 130 DYN
    -Cochise 120 DYN

Nordica
    -Strider

Dynafit
    -Vulcan

Full Tilt
    - Ascendant

Fischer
    -Ranger Free

Any idea where I can try these things on in the Tahoe region?
    Last edited by shaft; 08-01-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: adding boots to OP for reference

Dalbello Lupo AX110W for the ladies too... Wife loves her pair.

Since the Shift is MNC, I think a better way of looking at this would be to think in terms of the exceptions - those boots whose sole ledges don't work with an MNC binding (Warden/Shift).

The Hoji/Unicorn is the obvious one.

I recall something about the heel ledge on the F1 not working, but the boot has only been on the periphery of my radar.

Paging GregL to the white courtesy telephone ...

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Nordica Strider

Fewer boots which don’t work than do work.

Anything with a 9523 or 5355 sole will work. Skied it with my race boots.

Scarpa F1 won’t work, Hoji boot won’t work, TLT6 won’t work, etc.
    Vulcan, MTN Lab, ZeroG Pro Tour, etc all work.

As XavierD says, unless you have a non-ISO 9523 tech boot with shortened toe/heel lugs (or none, i.e. TLT7 or Hoji) you will be fine. I would suggest that if you have such a boot, the Shift is a heavier binding than you want, but people do some funny things.

when did the Vulcan become an ISO-9523 boot?

similar to the Maestrale, that boot no worky they say. quick step inserts FTW.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    when did the Vulcan become an ISO-9523 boot?
    The Vulcan was always an ISO 9523 boot.

If we are talking about SHIFT compatibility, the ISO 9523 spec for toe height is quite a range - from 25mm to 31mm. I haven't tried to fit any boots with soles on the high side of the range into a SHIFT, I'm just taking Amer's word that it works for 5355, 9523, 9523-compliant GripWalk and WTR soles.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Vulcan was always an ISO 9523 boot.
    prove it

prove it
    At the time of its initial manufacture, there were only two ISO standards for boot soles, ISO 5355 and ISO 9523. The Vulcan had full lugged soles and a toe height over 19mm +- 1mm, so it fit into the latter category. At the end of the run there was also WTR, but the Vulcan sole didn't have a smooth AFD pad (only the two harder material "pegs") so it didn't fit that. Why do you think it was something else?

PS The fact that the sole doesn't have TÜV stamped on it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't meet ISO 9523 specs - it might just be that the manufacturer didn't feel like paying TÜV SÜD to certify it as such.

Scarps freedoms should work yeah?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Scarps freedoms should work yeah?
    Freedoms should work with either sole block.

PS The fact that the sole doesn't have TÜV stamped on it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't meet ISO 9523 specs - it might just be that the manufacturer didn't feel like paying TÜV SÜD to certify it as such.
    The geometry for the lugs might be within norm but there is one major feature that prohibits its certification: its use of inserts that protrude from the smooth radius of the toe lug. This prohibits consistent lateral release in a multi-norm certified alpine binding like MNC, Sole I.D. or Tryolia AT. Therfore the boot is not receiving ISO 9523 and should not be used with anything other than pin bindings.

Same goes for the Scarpa Freedom.

The geometry for the lugs might be within norm but there is one major feature that prohibits its certification: its use of inserts that protrude from the smooth radius of the toe lug. This prohibits consistent lateral release in a multi-norm certified alpine binding like MNC, Sole I.D. or Tryolia AT. Therfore the boot is not receiving ISO 9523 and should not be used with anything other than pin bindings.

Same goes for the Scarpa Freedom.
    That's a valid point, the ridges on Quick Step inserts COULD cause added friction in a lateral release, but so far I've seen nothing from Amer Sports about any issues with the SHIFT. We will see if they mention it.

what i am saying is that quick steps inserts are a reason that a boot would not receive ISO 9523. Amer clearly states that only boots that are ISO 9523/WTR/Gripwalk and ISO 5355 are indemnified for use with MNC bindings.

FWIW, I just put a Maestrale RS with Quick Step inserts in a SHIFT, and the ridges on the toe inserts are outside of the rollers on the toepiece, so I would expect no added friction . . .

what i am saying is that quick steps inserts are a reason that a boot would not receive ISO 9523. Amer clearly states that only boots that are ISO 9523/WTR/Gripwalk and ISO 5355 are indemnified for use with MNC bindings.
    Got it.

Fischer ranger free???
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Fischer ranger free???
    Should be fine; the one I skied had GripWalk soles with smooth original Dynafit toe fittings.

Atomic backlands are a no I take it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

FWIW, I just put a Maestrale RS with Quick Step inserts in a SHIFT, and the ridges on the toe inserts are outside of the rollers on the toepiece, so I would expect no added friction . . .
    right, except for the opposite side... as the boot moves through the elastic travel. would be interesting to see this in action.

either way, for a binding that is intended to be skied as hard as the Shift is, I wouldn’t mess around with boots that are outside of ISO norms.

this could just be my bird law experience talking though.

Even though it's no different than the other Lupo's, I have the 125c model that was only available in Europe mostly. Could be added to the list just in case.

Which version Maestrale? The current or older ones? Did the older ones have the Quick Step inserts?
    He who has the most fun wins!

Thanks for all the responses, fellas! I think I have the right updated list on the OP. Let me know if something needs to be added or removed.

I'm sure I should probably be on some lighter binding. I'm obviously an uphill newb, and my first couple forays (WDynafit Radical 2.0, Scarpa...some type of rental) left much to be desired on the downhill. No clue whether it was the boots, bindings, or user. Felt like skiing the old step-in snowboard bindings. Sketchy, unresponsive, and pretty lame.