School me on ladies skis

Hey mags, after some advice on skis for the other half. She’s a slightly nervous intermediate, however she’s only ever skied in Verbier, she’s managed all the trail routes. I think she would find a lot of other resorts easy going.

She’s been using the same pair of 154 Rossignol attractions for years. She’s only 50kg but would like something a bit wider so she can enjoy it when there’s fresher snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

shes small and light

look for a ski that is small and light? 150cm ish and 100mm wide?

does SHE want a fatter ski, or do YOU want her to have a fatter ski?

if shes looking then she should demo some and buy what she likes

if you are looking for her, buy her something, but assume it will be the wrong thing

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    shes small and light

if you are looking for her, buy her something, but assume it will be the wrong thing
    This! The lighter a rider is, the more difficulty they will have trying to make a ski work for conditions it wasn't intended for.. i.e. a wider ski on hardpack.. And because she's lighter, "float" isn't as big of a variable on those few days when the snow really is more than a foot deep. Also, if she's under 120 pounds, consider Jr models in addition to women's models.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    shes small and light

Demoing is the hard part, Verbier isn't cheap to demo skis (I could probably buy three sets second hand for what two days demoing would cost...).

I'm not thinking of going much bigger, but like all men I will probably be wrong... If there was the magic pink unicorn ski it would be ideal.

Something with a wee bit of tip rocker and say 158-160 and 90ish max underfoot would probably be ideal. My limited searching has found nothing but park skis in that size which don't to me seem ideal.

My girlfriend of similar size and skill level has an Atomic Women's Vantage 85 in 157 length. They have tip and tail rocker and I noticed it in her turn initiation this past season over the previous one (different skis). She likes them and you can probably find a cheap pair online.

"Good turning radius. Playful. They probably have a speed limit but I won't reach it." -Her quote when I just asked her.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    My girlfriend of similar size and skill level has an Atomic Women's Vantage 85 in 157 length. They have tip and tail rocker and I noticed it in her turn initiation this past season over the previous one (different skis). She likes them and you can probably find a cheap pair online.

"Good turning radius. Playful. They probably have a speed limit but I won't reach it." -Her quote when I just asked her.
    They sound like the right ticket, just enough to handle the days it dumps in resort. Shes not about to be going about at mach 5 any time soon.

Faction Prodigy 1.0X? Should be able to find those to demo in Verbier.

Blizzard Black Pearl 88?

Armada Trace 88?

Atomic Vantage 85 came to mind when I first read this. Also consider the Nordica Belle 88. Both lightweight, no metal, and tip rocker with tails that will release easily.

Black Pearl could be a decent option if she wants to improve, but she could end up fighting them a bit if a mellow skier who's happy being a nervous intermediate.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Faction Prodigy 1.0X? Should be able to find those to demo in Verbier.

Blizzard Black Pearl 88?

Armada Trace 88?
    I think the BP may be a bit stiff, will look at the Armada. Faction, TBH I don't rate as they are very expensive for what they are.

You know, the Vantage 85W is a great rec. It's very light; soft flexing and can be found for cheap (MSRP is cheap) and the core is made of wood and not foam. Just saying as plenty of skis in same price range have a foam core,

K2's thilluvit 85 would be a similar ski (weight, flex, construction, price) but longer tip and tail rocker and more taper both ends. Not that one should care much but it'll be very easy to pivot around on for an intermediate.

edit to add: $299CAD and free ship even to Yurp (I believe) https://www.corbetts.com/2018-k2-thr...5-womens-skis/

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Soul7, pm NWskier
    Well played, sir...

This.
    As mentioned you want something 80-90mm with tip rocker ? 150-160cm, not too stiff.
    Anything fatter will likely be a handful.
    Most people who want 100mm skis know it themselves.
    Though to be honest she might still prefer the edge grip of traditional piste ski.
    Getting rowdy in powder not for everyone. Though a wider ski will obviously make fresh snow more accessible and fun.

Also : dont buy the marketing kool-aid that you need to buy a womens specific ski.
    This just narrows the skis available down to one with girlie top sheets.
    In reality there there will be plenty male / uni-sex ski that will do the job perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Soul7, pm NWskier
    Attachment 243062

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

OP described a Praxis Le Petit, my wife and daughter both ski them. Hard to acquire in Scotland?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by lordf View Post
    School me on lady’s skis
    Offered beat downs thread?

For what its worth: I have a wife and two daughters. They all have at least one pair of Chams or Cham 2.0. I have recomended them to another half dozen gals of various abilities...intermediate to rippers and they have all loved them.

Wife & Daughter in Law both ski Moment Sierra's. DIL was a college racer and my wife is just getting to be a strong intermediate skier. Issue with my wife is she is 4'10" 68 years old and weighs 95 lbs. On anything other than a true powder day she skis the Sierra's which are 98 underfoot but with the rocker / triple camber design it skis shorter than the 162 length. DIL is 5'6" / 125 lbs and skis it in 172. She was a better GS than SL skier and at high speed doing GS turns she can't break them loose or over ski them. The triple camber makes them a great ski in hard conditions as they bite like crazy and the 98 underfoot makes them a good soft snow ski also.