Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

"WTF Is Wrong With People?" What's yours?

In spite of some really good stuff being done by mags here (SC helping his neighbor FTW) I am left shaking my head about the unconscious things people do so any times every day and, sadly, the thread title has become something of a mantra.

I'm not thinking of the big ones, but the things that are so simple not to do, but require some level of self-awareness, giving a fuck, paying attention and some concern for others.

I am not perfect and real awareness requires some diligence. I do my best, but am constantly wondering how so many seem to be so oblivious and entitled.

Examples include:
    Not using turn signals.
    Stopping in the middle of the road for no apparent reason, then getting angry when someone goes around you.
    Slow driving in the carpool lane.
    Not saying please and thank you at the restaurant, grocery store, etc.
    Unresponsiveness in important communications.

You get the idea.

This morning I'm on my walk in a park. I walk at a fair clip and it's a gravel path so there is sonic notice. I come up behind four adults moving slowly and taking up the entire path in two groups of two. One in each group hears me, turns around and looks, but no-one moves to the side and there's no shoulder to the path.

They knew I wanted to get through and literally ignored me for several minutes while I slowed to their pace and eventually I had to slalom my way through them to get past. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Whatchu got?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Risking the lives of other drivers and any passengers you and they may have by flashing across three lanes at the last split second - sometimes even after the white line gore point - to screech on to the exit ramp you daydreaming/stupidity caused you to be unaware of it's approach. Why would anyone think risking death is the better choice over simply taking the NEXT FUCKING EXIT and losing maybe 15 seconds.

Too emotional??

Yeah, probably should have started a "F****ing Car Drivers" thread, but three of your five egs were car-related so I knee-jerked.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Double parking/blocking in the other cars in busy parking lots. How do you park a car, get out and see that you've blocked in another, then just leave it. I asked some lady wtf she was doing when she did this and she was trying to tell me it was the other cars fault for parking in the middle? Picture two rows of cars then a third row forming to block in the 'middle' row... So a whole row of WTF. There's a few spots around whistler where this happens when it's busy.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Double parking/blocking in the other cars in busy parking lots. How do you park a car, get out and see that you've blocked in another, then just leave it. I asked some lady wtf she was doing when she did this and she was trying to tell me it was the other cars fault for parking in the middle? Picture two rows of cars then a third row forming to block in the 'middle' row... So a whole row of WTF. There's a few spots around whistler where this happens when it's busy.

I wonder if the lack of compassion or willingness to accommodate and tolerate has something to do with competition for kinds of resources and fear of dominance. Conceptual resources.

I mean the internet is great and all as well as all the other forms of media and communication, but I think it makes people feel cramped and crowded. Like their minds are filling up with so much debris.

And yeah, life in the city is competitive with driving and parking taking on the Road Warrior vibe. I regularly have people try and prevent me from changing lanes to make an exit or entrance on the freeway. Automobiles seem to be a terrible outlet for that kind of behavior.

Stuff is expensive, supply and demand and all that and that's part of it too. Having the financial gradient pushed in your face every day gets tiring, so people become less tolerant? Americans are relative beginners at this it seems, so the experience is all the more raw.

All you can do is fight in in a good way, be forgiving, compassionate, recognize and avoid situations are not abundant, say your please and thankyous, give good tips, look people in the eye and convey some respect for them as people. I get tired and frustrated and I can't always do it, but I'm there with you recognizing how shitty we treat one another and doing my little bit to change it.

During a recent transatlantic flight in economy, my knees hit the seat in front. I'm not that tall, but anyway being in an aisle seat, I'd either leave a foot along the aisle or have my knee sticking out. Now this is about what 3-4 inches max? I got rammed by the drinks cart twice with 1 apology and kicked at least 4 other times with not a word or glance. The stewardess dropped their serving tongs on me and only thanked me for handing them back. It was weird.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

this one is my favorite from the ones I see as it has the greatest potential of killing yourself and many others because you either were not paying attention while driving and/or you could really care less about anyone else on the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Risking the lives of other drivers and any passengers you and they may have by flashing across three lanes at the last split second - sometimes even after the white line gore point - to screech on to the exit ramp you daydreaming/stupidity caused you to be unaware of it's approach. Why would anyone think risking death is the better choice over simply taking the NEXT FUCKING EXIT and losing maybe 15 seconds.

Too emotional??

Yeah, probably should have started a "F****ing Car Drivers" thread, but three of your five egs were car-related so I knee-jerked.
    and related, those trying to make a right or left turn in a multi lane one way road from the middle or farthest lane away from the turn lane. the people that let them do it are idiots for enabling them. the person that taight them to drive would smack them around if they saw them pull that move.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Yeah, expecting this....this is different. There are lots of things that annoy us that aren't WTF is wrong with people moments. Annoyances can often be our own sensitivities. Lots of things annoy me but aren't the result of others' obliviousness.

Chances are these behaviors would piss off the people we see doing them and I feel like that's not an annoyance issue but a behavioral, entitlement, "the rules don't apply to me" thing.

And, this is not a thread to solve or explain the problem. Cuz, well, we can't and only can be on our own best behavior as Buster states. This thread is for sharing things that make you roll your eyes in disbelief.

Not to send this into all driving related territory. Lots of shitty driving behaviors translate to the way people do things.

Not waiting your turn whether in the car or not, is a big one I see all the time.

I live in a small tourist town. The Conelicker crowd leaves something to be desired in the situational awareness arena.

Rather than get irritated I decided to make it entertaining. I mounted a small box to my town bike that emits various noises - a male screaming, female screaming, sound of screeching brakes followed by dog yelp - and fire them off when people do stupid shit like carry on a phone conversation while walking down the middle of a two way street. Watching them jump/duck/run can be fun. Once had a person throw their coffee in the air.

non directly driving related,

those who leave their grocery cart in their spot in a place so that you have to move it to pull in. I understand on occasion it will move on its own, but generally it's the fault of the person for being too dam lazy to move it out of the way or to the nearest cart repository.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

line for free cat ski, there was a maze built like a rectangle out of rope. 1 cat could carry 10 or the other 12, took 20 minutes round trip. so the wait was quite a while. line would be like 50 people long and run way past the end of the maze. 5 idiots would ski up and start cutting into the maze or ducking rope to get to the front where their one pal who was in line. basically cutting in front of about 40 people at a time and knocking people into farther back 20 minute waits. happened frequently. fights would almost break out

also

early season ski racing campers getting to the maze and cutting or flat out skiing over your stuff to get up with their friends....my carbon tipped poles were firmly planted into the back of their skis once they were in front and stopped,ski tips into backs of bindings, etc
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

&quot;WTF Is Wrong With People?&quot; What's yours?

People who park in the covered loading area at Home Depot

GTFO, go park in the parking lot
    Selfish motherfuckers

people that take up excessive time at counters after their transactions are complete.....c-stores, post office, etc
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    People who park in the covered loading area at Home Depot

GTFO, go park in the parking lot
    Selfish motherfuckers
    or the idiots that would park so close to me as to cause almost sure door to vehicle contact after I parked all the way at back of lot farthest away with the longest walk, and there were tons of empty spaces out there....but no, right next to me
    www.freeridesystems.com

red box movie too long to make selection hogs
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I live in a small tourist town. The Conelicker crowd leaves something to be desired in the situational awareness arena.

Rather than get irritated I decided to make it entertaining. I mounted a small box to my town bike that emits various noises - a male screaming, female screaming, sound of screeching brakes followed by dog yelp - and fire them off when people do stupid shit like carry on a phone conversation while walking down the middle of a two way street. Watching them jump/duck/run can be fun. Once had a person throw their coffee in the air.
    www.freeridesystems.com

numnuts that take 30 items into the 10 items or less express lane
    of course with multiple perishable items that need numbers entered or lookup
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    or the idiots that would park so close to me as to cause almost sure door to vehicle contact after I parked all the way at back of lot farthest away with the longest walk, and there were tons of empty spaces out there....but no, right next to me

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    copy that!
    www.freeridesystems.com

I was climbing at the local crag a few weeks ago, and there was a large group with 2 toddlers. I'm not going to fault them for having kids at the crag because parents and children have the same right to the outdoors as I do. The WTF are you thinking moment came after I heard, "Hey, child, want to play with the chalk?" And the parent pulls out some fucking sidewalk chalk and starts drawing all over the rocks.

I made sure they knew they were being fucking retarded, but of course they and the rest of their group defended themselves. "It'll rain tomorrow and wash right off," "it's just chalk," etc. They finally agreed to stop, begrudgingly. Nobody wants to go to enjoy nature and see your damn kid's chalk drawing.

It's still there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

people on vacation, why do they feel entitled, why are their heads so far up their ass, and why are the so fucking stupid, there is no rhyme or reason, or a certain type, it's all of them
    could go on and on and on about
    this summer has been especially trying
    Society in general is maxing out on narcissistic behavior
    I"ve had the pleasure of telling a large number of people I don't really care in the most polite manner, it throws them for a loop

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    people that take up excessive time at counters after their transactions are complete.....c-stores, post office, etc
    How about the bozos that stand for 15 minutes in line to get to the counter, bar, whatever, and only when they get to the front of the line do they look at the menu or think about what to order. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Are you in a "tourist destination" locale? I can't (or can) begin to imagine the buffoonery.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    people on vacation, why do they feel entitled, why are their heads so far up their ass, and why are the so fucking stupid, there is no rhyme or reason, or a certain type, it's all of them
    could go on and on and on about
    this summer has been especially trying
    Society in general is maxing out on narcissistic behavior
    I"ve had the pleasure of telling a large number of people I don't really care in the most polite manner, it throws them for a loop

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Are you in a "tourist destination" locale? I can't (or can) begin to imagine the buffoonery.
    https://missoulian.com/news/state-an...2a098eaba.html