90 mins to four different ski areas
    2 hours to WA wine country
    3 hours to KQ/Bluewood
    3 hours to Whitewater/KPASS/Red Mtn
    4 hours to the better side of the Cascade crest
    4.5 hours to Glacier
    6 hours to Banff
    7 hours to Revy

And in town there’s pretty darn good mtb, trail running, hiking, rafting, breweries, a symphony, several good music/event venues.

Shit I should ask the City tourism department for a job.

Lookout Pass
    Fernie BC....well worth any trip, bike or ski
    and close to me....The Gorge

We had an offer accepted in Spokane and as long as we can close on time (seems like we're in good shape, but nothing is guaranteed), I'll be moving to Spokane in the late May / early June timeframe.

I told my wife that if we close on time, the first thing I'm going to do is buy a Schweitzer season pass at their early bird pricing (until May 31), but is that hasty? Should I consider another area? Schweitzer is the only one I've ridden; I've probably spent 15-20 days there over the last 10 years or so and am a fan, but I just had a little FOMO since I've never ridden the other resorts like Silver and 49* North.

One word: Huckleberries

That place rocks. I would kill for a full blown Huckleberries here in W2. We've got as n abbreviated one inside Super1 which is something but not even close to the one in Spookaloo.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    We had an offer accepted in Spokane and as long as we can close on time (seems like we're in good shape, but nothing is guaranteed), I'll be moving to Spokane in the late May / early June timeframe.

I told my wife that if we close on time, the first thing I'm going to do is buy a Schweitzer season pass at their early bird pricing (until May 31), but is that hasty? Should I consider another area? Schweitzer is the only one I've ridden; I've probably spent 15-20 days there over the last 10 years or so and am a fan, but I just had a little FOMO since I've never ridden the other resorts like Silver and 49* North.
    Welcome!

Nothing wrong with Schweitzer so long as you can handle the drive and the fog. I'll be happy to show you around the hill, but sounds like you likely know it decently well already.

All the INW resorts/hills are fun in their own way... maybe consider getting the Ikon pass and the Indy pass, and checking them all out this season? Don't forget its a reasonable drive to Canada and Montana as well now...

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    One word: Huckleberries

That place rocks. I would kill for a full blown Huckleberries here in W2. We've got as n abbreviated one inside Super1 which is something but not even close to the one in Spookaloo.
    Good to know, there's one a mile from the house we're buying - we're close to Freya and 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    Welcome!

All the INW resorts/hills are fun in their own way... maybe consider getting the Ikon pass and the Indy pass, and checking them all out this season? Don't forget its a reasonable drive to Canada and Montana as well now...
    I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks for the suggestion! The Indy pass is a screaming deal, I'm going to have to think about this

Good to know, there's one a mile from the house we're buying - we're close to Freya and 29th.

I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks for the suggestion! The Indy pass is a screaming deal, I'm going to have to think about this
    Sweet, man, you’re super close to Trader Joe’s and easily bikeable to the Perry District which is pretty hip. Im just a little down the hill from you. Congrats on the house!

The problem with Ikon and Schweitzer is you get a limited number of days, five, I think.

Congratulations. I know it has been a long haul.

Congratulations! I know it wasn't your first choice, but Spokane should be a great landing spot. Seems like it's improving significantly in the past few years.

The tree skiing at mt Spokane is pretty damn fun. Skiers right out of bounds chair 1 is fun but mind the creek

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Sweet, man, you’re super close to Trader Joe’s and easily bikeable to the Perry District which is pretty hip. Im just a little down the hill from you. Congrats on the house!
    Not to harp on it but Huckleberries blows TJ out of the water IMO. One of the many things I miss about living there.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Spokane - living there?

Welcome to the hood, grabbing a beer in Perry as I type this. Once you’re out here id love to show you around. Great beer, biking is off the chain. I hold a Silver pass despite living 30 minutes from Spokane. It’s a great hill but given its challenging elevation one I only hit when it’s nuking in Spokane (especially at night).

Thanks everyone for the kind words! One thing that struck us about Spokane vs. Bellingham: while B'ham is a great location w/r/t Seattle/Vancouver and in some ways has better outdoor access, Spokane feels like a community, and Bellingham felt more like Bend: just a destination for outdoor sports and retirees. That may make it a better fit for the long haul. We're also pretty excited to check out the area - we've spent lots of time west of the Cascades, and not much on the east side.

SkiLyft, thanks for the offer of a guided Spokane tour! I'd love to take you up on that once we're up there - would especially like to hear your biking recs.

Congrats Dan....hope inspections and everything goes right and you close on the place. Some friends of mine moved there 5yrs ago and seem to like it so far. They live far out in the Northern Burbs. Small city, but nice little downtown and parks!

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post

As I noted above, the Ikon is limited for Schweitzer; 5 days with Base Pass and 7 with full Pass. Also, only 49 and Silver are on the Indy Pass so Mt Spokane and Lookout are out for this plan. "The more you know" and all that...

Another hour and you’re at red and 90 minutes to whitewater. I get my pass at whitewater and i live in OR lol
    Check out Casper Fry for excellent fried chicken.

I could see Schweitzer plus indy pass too...Can't go too far wrong, and it will be the first winter of many, so lots of time to try new permutations of passes. I'm pretty excited to leave the crowds of Mt. Hood behind

I’ve only been through a few times, but I’m a big Spokane fan. Had a sweet night powder ski at mt Spokane. Bluebird pow day at 49N. Great days at red, Schweitzer and fernie. And then haul way up north to Kh and Roger’s pass. Oh, bad the falls through the city are just mesmerizing!

I spent 8 years in the area (north, between Deer Park and Chewelah). Skied 49N mainly, loved that place. So many great powder days. Being so close to BC is a huge plus. So much great road riding in the area too. I’d consider moving back after I retire; it really is a neat area.

I could see Schweitzer plus indy pass too...Can't go too far wrong, and it will be the first winter of many, so lots of time to try new permutations of passes. I'm pretty excited to leave the crowds of Mt. Hood behind
    I've thought about doing this, too. We go to McCall in January so get Brundage and tamarack plus 49 and silver if we want. It's a great deal.

Happy to show you around 49 next season.

casper fry is closin doors, better hurry! and welcome. i drive up to schweitzer but it is a haul to do back-to-back if that’s your style

I hear the meth is cheap too

Welcome Dan. I sorta know silver so if old shitty chairs with blah terrain is your jam I could show ya some sick greens.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    casper fry is closin doors, better hurry! and welcome. i drive up to schweitzer but it is a haul to do back-to-back if that’s your style
    https://www.inlander.com/spokane/cas...t?oid=23633367

What a shame, sad they just didn’t sell it. Seems someone would buy it.